Author Topic: Worst board graphics ever?  (Read 78434 times)

lemonchicken91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
Re: Worst board graphics ever?
« Reply #690 on: March 08, 2022, 08:44:24 AM »

ted barrow is an interesting dude

He was posting design stuff, I had a few questions and he was very informative (architecture stuff)
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #691 on: March 09, 2022, 08:40:02 AM »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

somefucker

« Reply #692 on: March 09, 2022, 08:42:23 AM »

graphic designer needa be fired over this one

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #693 on: March 09, 2022, 12:59:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Casting my vote for Toy Machine. Ed must be fallin behind on his Omega 3s, because this is not a graphic you can make with a properly functioning brain

[close]

Not that toy machine have really had many decent graphics for some time but I feel the stuff they make would instantly be many times better if they ditched the computers and went back to hand drawn. Also get rid of solid colour backgrounds and have wood grain. Will still be dumb but at least look less cheap
[close]

Reminds me of that South park episode where Randy gets testicular cancer just so he can buy weed.

They 110% ripped it off of that, which just makes it even worse.

Christ Puncher

• Rep: 40
« Reply #694 on: March 09, 2022, 04:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess it's meant to be this, but as a Dior pastiche, it's lazy. Why does the pattern just end abruptly before the bolts? It doesn't even finish naturally – it's just cropped middle of the D at the bottom. If it's meant to look like a luxury brand why does it feel like they wanted them produced as cheaply as possible? The ink in the pattern should be in the negative space (ie. the colours should be reversed), which also makes it look off.

Why add the white? It's meant to mimic a single colour embroidery, so they added another colour for no reason. Maybe the designer gets paid per colour? Maybe they have more white ink? If it was all gold and the graphic ran the full board it'd still be bad, but probably look better.

The logo type looks like it came straight from Illustrator. The "Di" kerning is too tight so it reads as "Di l o" (the "il" and "lo" pairs aren't great either). Start with the existing logo – the "Di" in the original doesn't look like that, so there's no reason yours should.

I get that they want a recognisable logo, but there's probably a reason Dior wouldn't use that one for that type of application since it leaves a bunch of awkward whitespace around it. They could have gone with the more modern all caps version of the logo, but I'd say that having to replace the "R" with an "L" made it not read as Dior.

There's nothing really wrong with an obvious idea, but maybe spend more than 30 seconds looking at what you're replicating.
I would skate a Najaf board if it was a nice shoe and my size.

LiterallyRyan

• Rep: -19
« Reply #695 on: March 09, 2022, 08:16:22 PM »
Speaking of Toy Machine does anyone remember a board with Turtle Boy on it looking like Leonardo DiCaprio that said "Retardo DiCrapio"? Or maybe it was an ad, or maybe a shirt? I just remember it being around the time of Titanic and Romeo and Juliet when he was becoming a huge actor. It would be funny if it just didn't happen and I am misremembering this and my brain is making it up...

R3dBullRox420

« Reply #696 on: March 09, 2022, 08:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I guess it's meant to be this, but as a Dior pastiche, it's lazy. Why does the pattern just end abruptly before the bolts? It doesn't even finish naturally – it's just cropped middle of the D at the bottom. If it's meant to look like a luxury brand why does it feel like they wanted them produced as cheaply as possible? The ink in the pattern should be in the negative space (ie. the colours should be reversed), which also makes it look off.

Why add the white? It's meant to mimic a single colour embroidery, so they added another colour for no reason. Maybe the designer gets paid per colour? Maybe they have more white ink? If it was all gold and the graphic ran the full board it'd still be bad, but probably look better.

The logo type looks like it came straight from Illustrator. The "Di" kerning is too tight so it reads as "Di l o" (the "il" and "lo" pairs aren't great either). Start with the existing logo – the "Di" in the original doesn't look like that, so there's no reason yours should.

I get that they want a recognisable logo, but there's probably a reason Dior wouldn't use that one for that type of application since it leaves a bunch of awkward whitespace around it. They could have gone with the more modern all caps version of the logo, but I'd say that having to replace the "R" with an "L" made it not read as Dior.

There's nothing really wrong with an obvious idea, but maybe spend more than 30 seconds looking at what you're replicating.

Yeah great analysis and all, but we don't even gotta go this deep. The most important wack aspect of this board is the fact that Dime already ripped the Dior logo. Whoever made this almost board gotta dig deeper.

Like if someone does something in the futura font in white with a red background (preme) or uses the the edgy Hulk Hogan font (FA) then it's just automatically wack cause it's a rip of a rip. That's boardwalk t-shirt store tier design

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #697 on: March 09, 2022, 08:56:52 PM »
Was on sale for 50

Shut the fuck up dude. Pendleton is amazing

LebowskisRug

« Reply #698 on: March 09, 2022, 10:08:26 PM »
Pendleton is great but Darkroom graphics just don’t hit like the AWS ones did.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #699 on: March 10, 2022, 08:47:11 AM »
I had a consolidated skateboard. It was at the shop forever Brickhouse in Marblehead. I got it for 30 bucks because it had a shit graphic I never gave a shit about graphics if I could wash them off they were coming off.

The graphic was a little crayon cartoon of someone dreaming about boobs.

I buffed it. Board shape was nice. Around that time I was only doing the basics.

Hill bomb switch hill bomb Ollie wallies etc. you know mashing crosstown true east style.

It had the best wheel shape I ever had tho. Bones DTF. What a wheel that was. It was kinda like a hard mini cube. Completely covered the axle nuts.

I had my og late 90s thunders for 7.75 with the dark green bushings. Top front bushing I cut a little.

I started working on switch push around then but I didn’t refine my style till 2016 when I blew my acl.

May sound silly but I skated right through that injury. It was silly. I did it again few months later. It made a snap and the pain was gone like right afterwards.

Got some slop and swelling but it’s been ok since.

Peace love and fakie hard flips to you and yours.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #700 on: March 10, 2022, 08:47:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Was on sale for 50

[close]

Shut the fuck up dude. Pendleton is amazing

Second that.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #701 on: March 02, 2023, 02:57:40 AM »
From the 7.5-7.75 thread

DERBY

• Rep: 270
« Reply #702 on: September 10, 2023, 08:55:08 AM »
i love krod but this graphic is so ass

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #703 on: September 10, 2023, 09:35:23 AM »

Yeah :-\ specially if comparing with the roses graphics from a couple collections back. I have that deck and I can’t skate it because how beautiful it is.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #704 on: September 10, 2023, 01:20:13 PM »

No tears please. It’s a waste of good suffering.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #705 on: September 10, 2023, 01:35:06 PM »
Perhaps this is for the unpopular opinion thread but I always thought Seiben’s and Pendleton’s work didn’t belong on skateboards.

Sorry!
Please don’t beat me!
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 1
« Reply #706 on: September 10, 2023, 11:11:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
being ripped apart is not how this virus works and its just stupid to even make it a topic on your skateboard.
i care about how my boards look. I like blank boards more than this ugly designed bullshit.
[close]

no shit it's not how the virus works. it's called artistic license.
that being said the graphic is stupid because it's designed poorly, any other execution of this idea would look better
[close]

artistic license my ass. its kind of making fun of how the virus is out there killing people. what else is the point of this cartoon? "we are aware there is a virus outside so I thought yea I might draw smiling viruses ripping apart Jon Dickson " you cant tell if its pro or anti vaxx cause its shows viruses in such a extreme untrue way. plus its ugly as fuck.

Are you about to attach a fact check for misinformation to a deathwish graphic my Brotha ?
Icehead

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2023, 01:09:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't make up what it is supposed to look?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #708 on: September 11, 2023, 02:38:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can't make up what it is supposed to look?

It looks like a bunch of hooks with wire attached to someone’s face. Just keeps giving me cenobite vibes.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #709 on: September 11, 2023, 06:01:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
being ripped apart is not how this virus works and its just stupid to even make it a topic on your skateboard.
i care about how my boards look. I like blank boards more than this ugly designed bullshit.
[close]

that being said the graphic is stupid because it's designed poorly, any other execution of this idea would look better
[close]

artistic license my ass. its kind of making fun of how the virus is out there killing people. what else is the point of this cartoon? "we are aware there is a virus outside so I thought yea I might draw smiling viruses ripping apart Jon Dickson " you cant tell if its pro or anti vaxx cause its shows viruses in such a extreme untrue way. plus its ugly as fuck.
[close]

Are you about to attach a fact check for misinformation to a deathwish graphic my Brotha ?

This thing will sit in the sale section for a while.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Magnolia

• Rep: 456
  • She/They
« Reply #710 on: September 11, 2023, 05:51:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This thing will sit in the sale section for a while.

This is the yin to the Plan B Hannibal Lecter board's yang
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 07:08:38 PM by Magnolia »
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

DERBY

• Rep: 270
« Reply #711 on: September 11, 2023, 06:54:15 PM »
some fool’s tryna sell that mask deck signed on ebay for $500 (cad)

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #712 on: September 11, 2023, 07:22:49 PM »
Checked to see if they made boards from the cursed collabo.  Imagine buying this clown ass shit.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #713 on: September 11, 2023, 07:45:25 PM »
Checked to see if they made boards from the cursed collabo.  Imagine buying this clown ass shit.

Wasn’t there a Mariano graphic that was just the M logo?

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #714 on: September 12, 2023, 09:43:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Always hated this sort of shit

[close]

Yeah those are awful, the "it's a man" one garnered a slight smile but the others I would be embarrassed to skate or pay for.

What's with all the butterfly hate tho 💔?
I kinda like the Ishod butterfly nose and tail graphic. It's not the most complex or unique design but it's simple enough that the foil isn't too much.

I loved consolidated. Really bad jokes that didn’t make much sense. They were a fuck you to the Xgames focused industry at the time.

The anti-Nike “don’t do it” campaign was genius. They saw their bullshit coming from a mile away.

Bill Salt

« Reply #715 on: September 12, 2023, 11:51:43 PM »
April is the worst to me

Troubadour26

• Rep: 91
« Reply #716 on: September 13, 2023, 12:06:23 AM »
Plan B is mad corny to me. To an unfair degree. Whatever could be a perfect graphic for me would be ruined by the Plan B logo.

I don’t think there’s another brand that I feel so strongly against.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #717 on: September 13, 2023, 01:33:45 AM »
this is a slight deviation from the question, but i think arguably the worst graphics *relative to how amazing everything else about the brand is* would be sour.

i've wanted a sour deck since 2017ish, but have never seen one in my size with a graphic that i felt like paying money for.

but maybe that's just them being geniuses as usual...given that the videos are so good, i still felt duty bound to spend cash on the brand. so i got the 'spot hunter' fleece instead, which cost about the same but presumably has about triple the amount of markup.

well played, gustav. well played.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #718 on: September 13, 2023, 02:40:21 AM »

:D :D I would buy it for the lols and stick some street punk anarchist stickers on it

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #719 on: September 13, 2023, 02:42:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

:D :D I would buy it for the lols and stick some street punk anarchist stickers on it

people would get the irony, but they might not get that you got the irony.