Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4831563 times)

Schinken, GunganHunger, 420beers (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

gaunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26430 on: December 18, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
Aidan FA 8x31.6 crazy big nose.
Indy 139 forged hollow w/bones mediums
Spitfire bighead 53mm
bones bearings
pig hardware

This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #26431 on: December 18, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »

917 8.38 (was supposed to be 8.5 but measures 8.38 and I decided to keep it)
Venture 5.8 with Indy super soft bushings
F4 conical full 56 but probably like 54 at this point

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #26432 on: December 18, 2020, 11:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have experience with he newer 8.75 Polar surf shape?  Mostly curious about how wide it is on the back bolts.  I've got some Venture 6.1's, Indy 149's, or Ace 44's I could use.  Just want to get a big ass cruiser. 

Any other takes on their P shapes would be appreciated.
[close]

P9 rules with thunder 149

Light, snappy, pops even and flips easy

The shape skates great regular and switch.
[close]

Cheers!

Anyone have any knowledge of that 8.75 Surf Shape?
[close]

I will preface this as I’ve never ridden the surf shape personally, but I know that Shin rides for ace and I believe he runs 44s on the surf shape because of taper. I’ve run ace on other polar shapes before and it was great. Definitely would recommend
[close]

Couple people on here have ran it with 44s as well.
[close]

I think the original Surf Shape was an 8.25, though.  The new one is listed at 8.75.  I should just pull the trigger and trust that between a set of 8.35, 8.5, and 8.75, something will work...
[close]

Surf has always been 8.75; 8.5 front 8.25 rear.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112584.180 for more Polar talk.

I had the surf shape setup with 44s and 56mm conical fulls and rails. Some of the most fun I've had on a board tbh. Looks like Polar released two graphics for it this time. Might get the Hjalte one next.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 105
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #26433 on: December 19, 2020, 06:51:17 PM »
Quasi 8.75 acid ply
55 ACE
54mm Speedlab Slappy Hour wheels
Bronson raw bearings
Jessup grip
Santa Cruz rails
Servant shoes
Cocteau Twins

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #26434 on: December 19, 2020, 07:06:31 PM »
Quasi 8.75 acid ply
55 ACE
Bronson raw bearings
Jessup grip
Santa Cruz rails
Servant shoes

I have a coupple of Quasi 8.75s waiting to set up on my 55s.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 105
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #26435 on: December 19, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Quasi 8.75 acid ply
55 ACE
Bronson raw bearings
Jessup grip
Santa Cruz rails
Servant shoes
[close]

I'm enjoying it
Cocteau Twins

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #26436 on: December 19, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quasi 8.75 acid ply
55 ACE
Bronson raw bearings
Jessup grip
Santa Cruz rails
Servant shoes
[close]

[close]
I'm enjoying it

I'm rocking an 8.75 Terror of Planet X. Similar shape and square nose. I'm liking it. Hope the Quasis feel just as good.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26437 on: December 19, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
after a meh time with the 1992, i decided to pass on the 1991. figured it was time to try the last huge polar shape that caught my interest.....

polar dane 1 9.75/31.375/14.125wb
venture 6.1 w/flat washers+ace bottoms+bones tops
f4 radial slim 52mm->49mm 99a
bones reds
indy 1" allen until more bronze hits the local
mob grip with shop stickers in the stripe
adidas tyshawns

shortest deck ive ever owned but i took my adderall today, popped some ollies, and feel confident i can skate it! fat and long (32"ish) doesnt feel as good as fat and short imo. wheelbase is a bit shorter than my preferred 14.25, but the gold shop stickers going down the surf stripe show me my landing area to avoid breaks.

giving venture 6.1s a fair chance with the conclusion that i prefer heavier trucks (venture only atm). running them with the same bushing setup i have in my 5.6s and they feel like home, but surfier/more fun.

the spitfires will have to do until the og classics come out in 52mm/101a. spent $100 today and had to chill on the 99a, but this is a good enough excuse for me. i liked the boardycakes benchwarmers at about 1.5mm smaller but missed the f4 slide and response. gonna keep these around till they hit bearing condom status. cant barrel over the crust as well as the BCs, but ill just go faster when needed.

bones reds has certain advantages over swiss 6. can ride them in the rain and not worry so much, dont hold speed as well for when im trying something out of my ability/unscouted hills, easy to replace. i keep the swiss in my main setup because i usually dont skate my second setup as much, but that might just change soon.

hardware and grip arent much to talk about but im phasing out all my phillips since i keep an allen key in my wallet. 2020 proved that i prefer mob with cupsoles, and thats all i skate. dearest apologies to rob jessup, make ultragrip more available and i might change my tune.

adidas tyshawns are the best skate shoes ive ever owned. not much else to say there. just some dots of shoe goo and they are tank-like. fp gamechangers are on their way to potentially make me skate one shoe only.

sorry for my adderall fueled "last setup of the year" rant, im just hyped on the second setup for the first time in a minute. my list of shoes/gear to try has been whittled down to 3 from over 50ish things ive eyed this year (generous lowball) trying different dims while finding things to keep constant like WB(+/-.125) and truck brand made it easy to sift through what will and wont work. cheers to whoever read this all ;)
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #26438 on: December 19, 2020, 11:31:04 PM »
after a meh time with the 1992, i decided to pass on the 1991. figured it was time to try the last huge polar shape that caught my interest.....

bones reds
adidas tyshawns

shortest deck ive ever owned but i took my adderall today, popped some ollies, and feel confident i can skate it! fat and long (32"ish) doesnt feel as good as fat and short imo. wheelbase is a bit shorter than my preferred 14.25, but the gold shop stickers going down the surf stripe show me my landing area to avoid breaks.

giving venture 6.1s a fair chance with the conclusion that i prefer heavier trucks (venture only atm). running them with the same bushing setup i have in my 5.6s and they feel like home, but surfier/more fun.

the spitfires will have to do until the og classics come out in 52mm/101a. spent $100 today and had to chill on the 99a, but this is a good enough excuse for me. i liked the boardycakes benchwarmers at about 1.5mm smaller but missed the f4 slide and response. gonna keep these around till they hit bearing condom status. cant barrel over the crust as well as the BCs, but ill just go faster when needed.

bones reds has certain advantages over swiss 6. can ride them in the rain and not worry so much, dont hold speed as well for when im trying something out of my ability/unscouted hills, easy to replace. i keep the swiss in my main setup because i usually dont skate my second setup as much, but that might just change soon.

hardware and grip arent much to talk about but im phasing out all my phillips since i keep an allen key in my wallet. 2020 proved that i prefer mob with cupsoles, and thats all i skate. dearest apologies to rob jessup, make ultragrip more available and i might change my tune.

adidas tyshawns are the best skate shoes ive ever owned. not much else to say there. just some dots of shoe goo and they are tank-like. fp gamechangers are on their way to potentially make me skate one shoe only.

sorry for my adderall fueled "last setup of the year" rant, im just hyped on the second setup for the first time in a minute. my list of shoes/gear to try has been whittled down to 3 from over 50ish things ive eyed this year (generous lowball) trying different dims while finding things to keep constant like WB(+/-.125) and truck brand made it easy to sift through what will and wont work. cheers to whoever read this all ;)

No! Go of, Off!   8)
The setup looks real fun!  Glad you're finding solace in set up experimentation and going out on a banger (even if it is a secondary and not your primary ride) for closing out 2020! Which reminds me, the Heroin I set up a couple weeks ago will almost certainly be my last board of 2020. Didn't think about it until I read your post! Glad I picked a good one, incidentally.
Everyone makes the Tyshawns look so good (including you!) I have a pair and I'm keen to break them in and see how well they do. Mine are leather, which is cool, but not as easy to work in as suede, so I'm timid about em. Lol
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 10:44:37 AM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #26439 on: December 20, 2020, 02:33:58 AM »

bones reds
adidas tyshawns

This shape looks great. Probably going to add this to the list. About to add a p9 and a Dane 1 to my stack of polar footballs and p2s.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #26440 on: December 20, 2020, 07:27:56 AM »
Dane1 looks so comforting to me: had a Bryce Kanights board that had a similar shape. I gotta stop looking at this: I don’t skate well on bigger boards. But damn that thing like a rad time.

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #26441 on: December 20, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
Expand Quote

bones reds
adidas tyshawns

[close]

This shape looks great. Probably going to add this to the list. About to add a p9 and a Dane 1 to my stack of polar footballs and p2s.

Set up a P9 recently and couldn’t get used to it, if you’re interested PM and maybe we can swap for something?
8.62 Hjalte balloon boy
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26442 on: December 20, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »
Everyone makes the Tyshawns look so good (including you!) I have a pair and I'm keen to break them in and see how well they do. Mine are leather, which is cool, but not as easy to work in as suede, so I'm timid about em. Lol
tyshawns are one of the best looking skate shoes on the market imo, one of the few silos that holds proportions in the bigfoot sizes. my next pair might be leather just to compare the two. id suggest walking around in them a bit in thick socks before skating them to get the leather to flex. or if you are really crazy, toss em in the microwave.

would definitely recommend. wb and length are shorter than what im used to but i can appreciate it. my body is all legs so when i jump straight up, my feet go where they need to be. kickflips and heels were super easy and surprisingly consistent with the short nose (might have to try skating my main setup backwards whenever i get back on it:o). genuinenly considering learning a ton of flip tricks on this like its the 90s and translating it to a popsicle. not changing my kit though lol

Dane1 looks so comforting to me: had a Bryce Kanights board that had a similar shape. I gotta stop looking at this: I don’t skate well on bigger boards. But damn that thing like a rad time.
feels a lot smaller than the width would suggest. just takes a little more effort to flick and get my legs out of the way, landing is as close to brainless as you can get.

im the opposite, i dont have the body control to skate sub 8.5 decks. feel like toothpicks under my size 13 feet and unrewarding for the amount of effort to get everything perfect. to each his own
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #26443 on: December 20, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »

Was a Christmas Complete 3 sessions ago
5Boro 8.5 with 14.5wb (website said 14.25)
Indy 149 TI. Riptide pivot cups, Indy hard bushings, 3 washers inside
Spitfire F4 tablets 52mm 101A
Bronson raw
Mob

Janoski RM slipons. Still holding on after 6ish weeks.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #26444 on: December 20, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »
Out with the old...
Same board,different companies.
TOPX 8.5 to Hopps 8.5
Ace 44, Spit FF 54, Bender hardware ALWAYS!,  bones reds

clint

• Rep: 6
« Reply #26445 on: December 20, 2020, 04:21:33 PM »
Quasi Josh Wilson Acid Ply 8.5"
Mob/Jessup
1" allen Indy hardware
Indys 159
Bones hxc medium white
Bronson G3
Spitfire F4 radial 56mm 101

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #26446 on: December 20, 2020, 04:42:45 PM »
Out with the old...
Same board,different companies.
TOPX 8.5 to Hopps 8.5
Ace 44, Spit FF 54, Bender hardware ALWAYS!,  bones reds

+1 for Bender!

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #26447 on: December 20, 2020, 05:41:50 PM »
Quasi Josh Wilson Acid Ply 8.5"
Mob/Jessup
1" allen Indy hardware
Indys 159
Bones hxc medium white
Bronson G3
Spitfire F4 radial 56mm 101

Loved this board!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #26448 on: December 20, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
Quasi 8.75 acid ply
55 ACE
Bronson raw bearings
Jessup grip
Santa Cruz rails
Servant shoes
top/bottom pic ? Curious about the quasi 8.75

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
« Reply #26449 on: December 21, 2020, 05:26:25 AM »

DOA Madam 8.12 Flat as Fuck (e mold)
Indy 144 tits
Jessup Grip
Huh blues bearings
53mm 99a Bop Shop wheels

Feels good to be home. This one must have been near the top of the stack because it's one of the steeper flats I've had. I'll probably end up changing over to ventures because that's what always happens with flats...I try indys, hate it, and then switch.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26450 on: December 21, 2020, 05:51:49 AM »

917 8.38 (was supposed to be 8.5 but measures 8.38 and I decided to keep it)
Venture 5.8 with Indy super soft bushings
F4 conical full 56 but probably like 54 at this point

Gnarred. I love this graphic. It reminds me of the AWS Neil Blender HiFi, and I wanted to get it even though I have way to big of a stack RN.

Indy 144 tits
Jessup Grip
Huh blues bearings
53mm 99a Bop Shop wheels

Feels good to be home. This one must have been near the top of the stack because it's one of the steeper flats I've had. I'll probably end up changing over to ventures because that's what always happens with flats...I try indys, hate it, and then switch.

Love this graphic too. Ordered one (8.25") in standard concave from Library, but it has been in transit forever due to COVID mail delay. It'll be sweet when it arrives so long as it isn't fucked up from shipping.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #26451 on: December 21, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »
@BFRD, I tend to hear that Indy’s are great on flat boards since the height of Indy + mellow concave & kicks gives it a good response time for the deck’s lack of “springy”ness without it feeling soggy. Do you notice that with your Indy’s on flat boards or no? Do you notice Venture doing that instead on your flats?

A good example is most of the Toy Machine team running Indy’s. Toy boards are notoriously flat, so that’s where I’m coming from.
Super Champion Fun Zone

ballintoohard

« Reply #26452 on: December 21, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
I’m not BFRD, but I love Indy on Quasi and some FA. Venture often feel the same to me, but I run forged hollow Indys. I don’t think it’s flatness, but the fingers of flat thing. I find my current 8.25 FA and Quasi have the same there, FA has a tiny bit more concave. In the past I hated decks with minimal fingers and Indy.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #26453 on: December 21, 2020, 10:45:21 AM »
@BFRD, I tend to hear that Indy’s are great on flat boards since the height of Indy + mellow concave & kicks gives it a good response time for the deck’s lack of “springy”ness without it feeling soggy. Do you notice that with your Indy’s on flat boards or no? Do you notice Venture doing that instead on your flats?

A good example is most of the Toy Machine team running Indy’s. Toy boards are notoriously flat, so that’s where I’m coming from.

It depends on how you pop your board to be honest. If you pocket pop i think indys are better. If you use the tip of tail venture.

Indys give More room from axle to the tip of the nose or tail and  it gives it more leverage to flex.  Then again i weigh 235. My boards flex no matter what.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26454 on: December 21, 2020, 11:00:01 AM »
Fingers of flat is something that I don’t understand, but like boards with more of it.

Also that doa graphic is great

Dinglenuts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #26455 on: December 21, 2020, 11:00:46 AM »

Indy 144 tits
Jessup Grip
Huh blues bearings
53mm 99a Bop Shop wheels

Oh golly that's a nice one.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #26456 on: December 21, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »
@BFRD, I tend to hear that Indy’s are great on flat boards since the height of Indy + mellow concave & kicks gives it a good response time for the deck’s lack of “springy”ness without it feeling soggy.

Powell/Mini Logo are super flat and I really liked the hollow forged on them. 

Falcorn

• Rep: 0
« Reply #26457 on: December 21, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »

Strangelove 8.5 w/MOB grip
Thunder Team Hollow 151
Bones Big Balls
Creature Bloodsucker 56
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:38:00 PM by Falcorn »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #26458 on: December 21, 2020, 02:26:29 PM »
Fingers of flat is something that I don’t understand, but like boards with more of it.

Might seem like overkill, but this is the best one to show and explain it:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26459 on: December 21, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Might seem like overkill, but this is the best one to show and explain it:

Thanks for the link. That was kind.
I should have been more clear: I’ve heard about the fingers of flat, from ‘the professor’. I’ve enjoyed boards that have more fingers of flat, but I don’t have any conclusions on why, or which trucks worked better or what. Schmitt comes off as a kindly well meaning sort. As soon as he touches on a theory he kind of bounds off, adding in different tidbits, sprinkling other ideas in. There are not these moments, imo, where he more clearly defines what he’s saying. I can see truths in there, but it just starts to be a lot of talk. Most likely it’s my shitty attention span and lack of comprehension.
I like ps boards the best, I think I like flatter shapes, more fingers of flat, shorter boards....I prefer venture and ace, but that is much more convoluted.
I’ve added nothing to the conversation here.