Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 545730 times)

potpie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2019, 02:55:02 AM »

Welcome Jordan Sanchez 9"
Ace 55 with reds
OJ Keyframe 54mm
Shortys

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2019, 03:30:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
???
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should i get 159s or 169s for this? Im not sure because the tail end is skinnier the the nose end.

[close]
   You need to give us the width.  - that thing could be a hand board.  Edit but if the front is 9.75 or wider go with ace 66 and if its 9.5 at the front get the 69s.
[close]

The widest point is 9.25 not to sure about the rest its 1991 shape if that helps
[close]

The 1991 is 8.75 over the rear trucks.  Both will work.  159 if you do a lot of flip tricks or want a more agile setup.  169 if you skate more big tranny and want something stable
[close]

Thanks for the help. I cant wait to set it up
[close]
I have the same one, feels super good with Ace 55

[close]

Nice setup - what's your wheel situation?
Ricta clouds 86a 57mm my good sir.
Wanted, as expected, some soft wheels with a hard core and I was lucky to find those for a good price.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2019, 03:43:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
???
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should i get 159s or 169s for this? Im not sure because the tail end is skinnier the the nose end.

[close]
   You need to give us the width.  - that thing could be a hand board.  Edit but if the front is 9.75 or wider go with ace 66 and if its 9.5 at the front get the 69s.
[close]

The widest point is 9.25 not to sure about the rest its 1991 shape if that helps
[close]

The 1991 is 8.75 over the rear trucks.  Both will work.  159 if you do a lot of flip tricks or want a more agile setup.  169 if you skate more big tranny and want something stable
[close]

Thanks for the help. I cant wait to set it up
[close]
I have the same one, feels super good with Ace 55

Nice setup. I ended up getting some 159 indy hollows but im still looking for some wheels. Any recommendations?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2019, 03:53:31 AM »
Those OJ mini super juice seems nice
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2019, 03:24:15 PM »
Been skating the BA shape for a while, was looking for something a hair smaller. Was with Fos yesterday and we went over all of his shapes and decided to go with this one.

Heroin 9 x 32.25 WB 14.25
Indys 169 red 88a bushings
55 F4 99a Tablets
Swiss
Mob

Edit: Holy shit this board is awesome. Its feels likes you're skating a 9" popsicle with a short wheelbase and the benefits of the big square tail.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:52:19 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2019, 08:23:32 PM »
I ordered a 9" board with Thunder 151's

Will it work or should I have gone wider?

Thanks
Twin Perks

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2019, 08:32:40 PM »
It will work, especially if its a shaped board. 151s are a gem of a truck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2019, 09:58:38 PM »
Been skating the BA shape for a while, was looking for something a hair smaller. Was with Fos yesterday and we went over all of his shapes and decided to go with this one.

55 F4 99a Tablets
Swiss
Mob

Edit: Holy shit this board is awesome. Its feels likes you're skating a 9" popsicle with a short wheelbase and the benefits of the big square tail.

What are the benefits of the wide square tail?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #188 on: July 11, 2019, 10:26:57 PM »
fuck, that feeling when you lock into tail slide tricks!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2019, 12:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote

55 F4 99a Tablets
Swiss
Mob

[close]

Tailslides. Depending on how small and narrow the tail is sometimes you have about half your foot on the tail and to me it feels like you’re on the tip of your toes sometimes. With a wide square tail your whole foot can be on it, I like that feeling.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2019, 07:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

55 F4 99a Tablets
Swiss
Mob

[close]

[close]

Tailslides. Depending on how small and narrow the tail is sometimes you have about half your foot on the tail and to me it feels like you’re on the tip of your toes sometimes. With a wide square tail your whole foot can be on it, I like that feeling.

That makes perfect sense. I can’t do them.

switchbs180

« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2019, 01:20:08 AM »
Anyone have experiences with 159s on the anti hero "brown bomber"? It's like 8.75 wide.
Been riding 8.125s forever and wanted to step it up a bit.

thanks in advance big boys

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2019, 03:16:50 AM »
Anyone have experiences with 159s on the anti hero "brown bomber"? It's like 8.75 wide.

I work at a shop and everyone who has bought a brown bomber has run then with 159’s. Because of the shape though you could definitely go 149 maybe with an extra washer or two.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2019, 08:37:05 AM »

I've used 44s and 151s (same width as 159s) on the Brown bomber. I think you could either way no problem. Its a sick shape and skates smaller than it is due to the smaller wheelbase and taper. Perfect dims for me. The nose is a little short but I like that also.

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2019, 10:08:21 AM »
Has anyone skated the AH Old Yelle’r deck? If so post picks.
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

Diocletian

« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2019, 05:02:23 PM »
I ordered a 9" board with Thunder 151's

Will it work or should I have gone wider?

Thanks

I can only ride 9” popsicles now that I’ve gone up to this size. 15” wheelbase, 33.25” long. Best. Feeling. I run Ace 55’s but wanna try Thunder 151’s so I’m also curious about this.

texasplant

« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
Thinking about redrilling my Winkowski, because the only thing I wish this board had is a slight longer nose for disasters etc. Will probably use a 169 baseplate and drill where the extra holes are up the front, anyone had any experience with something like this? What size drill bit etc will I need?

switchbs180

« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2019, 01:57:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I work at a shop and everyone who has bought a brown bomber has run then with 159’s. Because of the shape though you could definitely go 149 maybe with an extra washer or two.

thanks man, I already have the deck, just need some trucks and wheels. Are there any F4s you would recommend for slappys?

texasplant

« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2019, 05:07:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thanks man, I already have the deck, just need some trucks and wheels. Are there any F4s you would recommend for slappys?

Personally I skate conical fulls and they do the job fine, but in my head a rounder classic might be better? Idk, I’m mostly skating transition so everything is set up for that haha.

backside bonerless

• Rep: 0
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
hello big boys my first post here

my popsicle got lost recently for reasons outta my control which im pretty bummed about as i had jsut bought fresh indys a month ago so and ive ordered this:

eric winowski 10.43
indy 169s standard
slimeballs 56mm
spitfire burners

this will be my first oldschool styled deck im looking forward

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You can say fuck it and get lock-ins, rounder edges plus lock-in. Conicals work great for me sort of rounded edge, sort of lock-in action. But classics seem to get on slappies the easiest for me. I might try one of those brown bombers in the future, maybe with 6.1s 🤔
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

switchbs180

« Reply #201 on: July 28, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
You can say fuck it and get lock-ins, rounder edges plus lock-in. Conicals work great for me sort of rounded edge, sort of lock-in action. But classics seem to get on slappies the easiest for me. I might try one of those brown bombers in the future, maybe with 6.1s 🤔

Thanks mate. I got 53 mm F4 classics. Can't wait to get the right trucks soon.

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2019, 07:05:39 AM »

For reference my current boards are Powell Frankie Hill, Scram Wopper, Scram Spiff and a Creature Partenen Large, all on Indy 169's.
I was super stoked when I first saw the Ol yeller. All the specs are damn near perfect for my size 14 feet.
Here's the but, all my other board are somewhere between 14.5 to 15 wheelbase. The Ol yeller has a 16" WB, that took some getting used to when doing things like slappy grinds, the front trucks hit alot sooner. It's the only board I have that takes a few minutes getting used when I pull it out.

backside bonerless

« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »
apologies for the large image.

this is very fun to skate and im glad i made the jump to this bigger stuff.

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #204 on: July 29, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For reference my current boards are Powell Frankie Hill, Scram Wopper, Scram Spiff and a Creature Partenen Large, all on Indy 169's.
I was super stoked when I first saw the Ol yeller. All the specs are damn near perfect for my size 14 feet.
Here's the but, all my other board are somewhere between 14.5 to 15 wheelbase. The Ol yeller has a 16" WB, that took some getting used to when doing things like slappy grinds, the front trucks hit alot sooner. It's the only board I have that takes a few minutes getting used when I pull it out.
yeah I really want to skate one.
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

comicbookguy

• Rep: -53
« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »

Yep I'm riding one right now on 215s, they fit it pretty much perfectly, 169s would look kinda goofy on it but if you think you might want to turn at some point they would work just fine.

As you'd expect it's a cunt of a thing to do ollies on but it flips surprisingly well for such a long board with a 16" wheelbase.

It's big, it's cumbersome and it takes some adjustment to actually lap your truck over far enough to lock into grinds properly but once you get used to it it's fun.

Master of slams

« Reply #206 on: July 29, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »
Few weeks old pic

This Winkowski board is magic. The shape just works so well. Before this I've had a Polar 1991, an AH Grosso (the one with the sharp edges) and HookUps dreamgirl 9,5'' big boy boards. I liked the polar, but didn't feel like buying a second one. Grosso board was too long and the wheelbase of the Hookups is insane short... This shape just works so well. Maybe its the 15'' wheelbase combined with an overall short board  :o

Winkowksi shape
Indy 169 (I think 159 might work better here)
Indy black bearings, got them super cheap
OJ winkowski 61mm 97a wheels
Aftermarket indy med barrels, top bushing shaved to have them a bit looser
1/4'' indy risers
Local boardshop long allen hardware

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:49:03 PM by Master of slams »
I spend too much money on gear I don't need

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2019, 08:23:59 AM »
How's the nose situation with the Winkowski?

I've been so close to get it but always ended up thinking I might regret it.

Been skating a lot of Dane 1's and I've just setup this board:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1314/2513/products/hun_deok_concrete_1024x1024.png?v=1528961040

It's HLC so I'm pretty dubious but I bought rails and hopefully that is going to solve my problems.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
Thinking about redrilling my Winkowski, because the only thing I wish this board had is a slight longer nose for disasters etc. Will probably use a 169 baseplate and drill where the extra holes are up the front, anyone had any experience with something like this? What size drill bit etc will I need?

yeah if you just want to move the wheelbase back 3/8 inch you can do that pretty easily. Mount the base plate on the top of the deck and drill down towards the bottom so you can rest it on a flat surface better. after you drill the first set just mount the truck again and drill through where the new school pattern lines up.

3/16'' bit I believe. Just take a bolt with you to home depot and match it up if you're unsure. I have a drill bit set so I just matched up the one that fit.

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
How's the nose situation with the Winkowski?

I've been so close to get it but always ended up thinking I might regret it.

Been skating a lot of Dane 1's and I've just setup this board:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1314/2513/products/hun_deok_concrete_1024x1024.png?v=1528961040

It's HLC so I'm pretty dubious but I bought rails and hopefully that is going to solve my problems.
I had one for about two weeks. Could not get used to the basically flat nose. If you need a fairly steep kick nose on that shape look at the Scram Wopper, really digging that deck currently. Or if you want something in between the Heroin Eyeballer has what I would call a medium kick nose. The Herion Deck is almost identical to the Santa cruz decks in shape.
Also, I didnt like the concave on the Santa cruz deck either, it is 3 straight lines instead of a smooth radius
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 12:18:52 PM by velvethammer »