Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 374312 times)

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1770 on: July 26, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1771 on: July 26, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »
It is too bad the consequences from this shit are just so gnarly. It is crazy how quickly a dumb ass fight over the desire to get a clip vs the desire to protect private property can turn into someone nearly being dead.

This whole incident seems like it is really similar to a one punch murder, which I imagine would bring up all the same emotions from the victim's family and from the offender.

One-punch deaths [are rare]. But it happens often enough that Gunson [, the medical examiner], without pause, is able to describe precisely how a sock to the face can end a life.

"They fall over backwards and they hit the back of their head," Gunson said. "They often end up having a skull fracture."

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2015/07/one-punch_killings_they_happen.html

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1772 on: July 26, 2019, 02:33:00 PM »
life comes at you fast and this video really illustrates that. one minute you're out enjoying yourself skating with the crew and the next, a serious incident has occurred leaving another person brain damaged and you in jail. reminds me of a friend who did 5 years in prison after being provoked into a bar fight out of nowhere. also makes me think of my numerous past run-ins with security and how things could have gone sideways like this real quick.

the security guard overstepped his boundaries here and you really can't deny that. his responsibility is to verbally request for people to leave the property. if that request isn't complied with then he should refer the situation to the local police - that's it. a security guard is not in a position of power or authority over a private citizen. it seems Jansen himself may have forgotten this - why else would you physically provoke a group of 10 by yourself? would he have pulled up on a group of 10 gangbangers and started grabbing their personal property and throwing it in the street?

furthermore, this incident was clearly not pre-meditated in any way and was merely a reaction to the guard's act(s) of aggression which resulted in an unfortunate accidental outcome. they obviously did not start skating the property with the intent to seriously injure the guard. we also do not know the existing dynamic between this guard and the skate community. certainly they have encountered each other before - was this an ongoing contentious scenario?

anyhow, I'm sure every person involved here wishes they could roll back time and walk away to live another day in health and freedom.

Well said. Guard should have called the cops. Regardless of any ongoing disputes with any skaters or whatever happened in the 15 minutes before the incident, this man should not have put himself in harms way with any group of men that outnumbered him. He more than likely stepped outside of the boundaries of what his employer was insured to allow him to do. Don't know what we might not have heard before Dela pushed the guy down. If the guard was verbally threatening Dela then he may have acted in self defense but otherwise Dela committed simple assault.

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1773 on: July 26, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1774 on: July 26, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »
It's interesting the different things people take away from seeing both videos in combination.

I saw the guard move the barrier into place just in time to stop DeLa from doing a trick on private property. His skateboard fell to the ground then Jansen tossed the board. DeLa hopped of the ledge and pushed the guard who swung (possibly connecting) then fell whilst grappling with DeLa. As the camera operator is offering a hand -which Jansen declines- to Jansen an object is seen bouncing and sliding past Jansen. This is about when Chico is seen walking in the background....Jansen gets up and goes after the dude who smashed his radio. Jansen grabs Vieira as he's picking up his board. The board falls when another dude steps-in then Jansen falls to the ground his arms go up stiff in the knocked out position as soon as his head hits the ground. Chico throws down his board and is the 1st person pushing his way out of there and the camera operator is suggesting calling an ambulance....

That's what i think i saw. As far as charges, trials, legalities, liabilities etc, I'm no lawyer so idk...i don't think the assault with a weapon charge will hold up at all...criminal trespass, destruction of private property, maybe assault charged to DeLa (and Jansen 😮), maybe criminal negligence to all the skaters who where physically involved would hold-up in court. *** I'm not saying Chico should be charged with anything; i just put him in the timeline because his appearance was caught in the dissection, yet, other details don't seem as scrutinized***

I don't think they can change Vieira's charges at this point (double jeopardy?)

it was a series of unfortunate events but someone is gonna have to pay money. Hopefully, it's only insurance companies

Tuff Lover

« Reply #1775 on: July 26, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
They all should've been wearing helmets

heavy metal harvey

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1776 on: July 26, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »
They all should've been wearing helmets

well at least one person involved is gonna be wearing a helmet for a long time

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #1777 on: July 26, 2019, 04:18:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You’re tripping. Are you not watching the same video of Dela pushing the security guard first and then his asshole friend throwing his walkie talkie at him as he lays on the ground? This all happens after they were asked to leave on multiple occasions.

Would the security guard not be a vegetable if they had obeyed property rights? They acted like they are entitled to skate wherever they please.

You’re pathetic.
[close]

lol, had to fix some typos, eh?  The security guard wouldn't be a vegetable if he didn't start a violent confrontation, and then continue to escalate that confrontation causing someone to have to defend himself. 

It's laughable that you think some scraping of a ledge and throwing of a walkie talkie somehow justifies this guy to initiate and escalate a violent confrontation that led to someone having to defend himself. 

"property rights" > a citizen's right to not be assaulted > a citizen's right to defend themself from said assault

got it
[close]

He didn't. He tossed a skateboard. Long hair started the violent confrontation.
HTH.

he started the confrontation by tossing the skateboard

Tuff Lover

« Reply #1778 on: July 26, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
***🎶The same things that can make you laugh can make you cry 🎶***

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:26:34 PM by Tuff Lover »

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1779 on: July 26, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You’re tripping. Are you not watching the same video of Dela pushing the security guard first and then his asshole friend throwing his walkie talkie at him as he lays on the ground? This all happens after they were asked to leave on multiple occasions.

Would the security guard not be a vegetable if they had obeyed property rights? They acted like they are entitled to skate wherever they please.

You’re pathetic.
[close]

lol, had to fix some typos, eh?  The security guard wouldn't be a vegetable if he didn't start a violent confrontation, and then continue to escalate that confrontation causing someone to have to defend himself. 

It's laughable that you think some scraping of a ledge and throwing of a walkie talkie somehow justifies this guy to initiate and escalate a violent confrontation that led to someone having to defend himself. 

"property rights" > a citizen's right to not be assaulted > a citizen's right to defend themself from said assault

got it
[close]

HTH.
[close]

Confrontation would have ended there if the skaters had picked up their board and left.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1780 on: July 26, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »
Some motherfuckers are like Zaitoichi over here.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1781 on: July 26, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »
Dela was the first to make physical contact, and on some level the security guard’s fight or flight response is going to kick in. Moving the barriers, throwing the board, they both play a part but I don’t think they are really that relevant to the outcome. Neither of those things would make someone assume they are in real physical danger. In the same sense, Jesse throwing the walkie talkie doesn’t warrant the guard attacking him, although the guard’s adrenaline is going to prevent him from thinking clearly and it’s understandable why he did. I don’t really think either Jesse (acting in self defense, assuming the throwing of the device isn’t a physical threat) or the guard (ultimately stepping outside of his job duties, but on a biological level acting in fight-or-flight) are at fault. To me Dela is the main culprit and fuck-head in this situation, but I have no clue how the law works.

Ocelot

« Reply #1782 on: July 26, 2019, 05:36:08 PM »

larry graham from sly and the family stone invented slapping the bass for those who don't know

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #1783 on: July 26, 2019, 06:12:45 PM »
Have any of you nerds ever skated black rock? Nope. Fucking rentacop backers don’t understand going around and coming around and breaking some wood. 🥊🛹

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #1784 on: July 26, 2019, 07:26:28 PM »
Have any of you nerds ever skated black rock? Nope. Fucking rentacop backers don’t understand going around and coming around and breaking some wood. 🥊🛹
So good and so bad at the same time.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1785 on: July 27, 2019, 06:31:07 AM »
Some motherfuckers are like Zaitoichi over here.

This whole thing is now basically Rashomon.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1786 on: July 27, 2019, 07:10:53 AM »
slap getting shine from the new york times

Slappadabass

« Reply #1787 on: July 27, 2019, 07:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You’re pathetic.

[close]

got it
[close]

Yes, I did fix some typos and I am completely comfortable in saying that. Is there a problem?

And BTW, again, Dela was the first person to lay his hands on someone else. End of story and go fuck yourself.

I'm done arguing this.

Just give up. You’re wrong. You lost the argument. It’s okay to be a loser sometimes  :(

Slappadabass

« Reply #1788 on: July 27, 2019, 07:34:04 AM »
It is too bad the consequences from this shit are just so gnarly. It is crazy how quickly a dumb ass fight over the desire to get a clip vs the desire to protect private property can turn into someone nearly being dead.

This whole incident seems like it is really similar to a one punch murder, which I imagine would bring up all the same emotions from the victim's family and from the offender.

One-punch deaths [are rare]. But it happens often enough that Gunson [, the medical examiner], without pause, is able to describe precisely how a sock to the face can end a life.

"They fall over backwards and they hit the back of their head," Gunson said. "They often end up having a skull fracture."

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2015/07/one-punch_killings_they_happen.html

Don’t be a security guard then if you can’t handle the risks involved.. especially a guard of a financial institute.. what if it was an armed robbery? Dude can’t even handle a group of skaters ffs. Security guard is just shitty at his job, can’t fight worth shit, and doesn’t really know the extent of his jobs responsibility and what he can legally do. Him working a job he’s not qualified for is prob the first issue.

Rutger Hauer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #1789 on: July 27, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
Why I keep seeing from both tapes that the security guard trips on Viera's board that is on the ground? Does someone else see that too?

What an awful mess. I wish positive things and strength to everyone involved.
I'm sure they're all good people, all of them are very much loved by their closed ones.

This situation got totally out of hand by both parties, ended like a nightmare and no one wanted it to go down like this.

Peace.
"I don't know what my appeal is. I can see I've got blue eyes and don't look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame but I can't understand the fuss."

BigWorm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1790 on: July 27, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »
Very fucked situation...From what i saw watching GX's angle you can see Jansen in the middle of the sidewalk while Dela grinds into the barricade set up at the end of the ledge, his board falls to the ground and Jansen walks up and throws it toward the street. Dela pushes him and takes a step toward him like he is gonna attack again and gets hit with a left from Jansen. The walkie talkie falls down, they start to grapple and Jansen tries to kick Dela with his right leg which causes him to fall down. On the ground you can see Jansen attention directed at Jesse as he is throwing the walkie talkie down right next to him and he puts his hand up to try and deflect it from hitting him. He gets up and goes at Jesse and you can clearly see Jesse strike at him with his board in hand, looks like it grazes the top of Jansen head. One of the GX dudes tries to push Jansen away trying to get in between the scuffle and starts to grab Jesse and it looks like Jesse pushes Jansen one last time which causes him to fall back and hit his head.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:34:47 AM by BigWorm »

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1791 on: July 27, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »
In case you guys don't have a NY Times account, here's the recent article about the Black Rock incident. (The hero video at the top of the page includes the full cut of the second angle of the beating. Yikes.):

"Thrasher did not respond to requests for comment." So core!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/25/sports/a-security-worker-confronted-the-skateboarders-he-ended-up-with-brain-damage.html

The open area outside 555 California Street in San Francisco is known as Black Rock to skateboarders, who turned this otherwise unexceptional corporate plaza into a magnet for the sport beginning in the 1990s.

With its low, stone walls and steps lined with steel banisters, the plaza has served as an ideal stage for the skateboarding videos that proliferate on the internet, attracting skaters from across the region to a spot where skateboarding is prohibited.

In November, a group of skaters descended upon the plaza. Within minutes, a security guard who had worked at 555 California for 12 years, Dan Jansen, arrived to shoo them out, moving steel barriers in front of the area where the skaters wanted to do their tricks.

Just as quickly, skaters removed the barriers, and an increasingly tense show of force from both sides ensued. At one point, Jansen picked up a skateboard and tossed it into the street. That is when the situation turned violent. Within seconds, he was lying unconscious in a pool of his urine.

The confrontation was captured by a security camera a short distance away. The trauma to Jansen’s head caused his brain to swell, requiring emergency surgery to remove a part of his skull and frontal lobe. “All medical teams agreed that without surgery, this patient will die,” read one of Jansen’s health records. He was left with permanent brain damage.

Nearly nine months later, he still struggles with walking and recognizing family members.

For the skateboarding world, which for years has glorified disputes with security guards, the confrontation has resulted in collective soul-searching at a crucial moment, just a year before the sport’s Olympic debut at the 2020 Games in Tokyo. A sport that has long identified with rebellion is questioning whether its fascination with defiance is somehow responsible for forever changing the life of someone simply doing his job.

“I do hold those who glamorize confronting security — rather than just leaving the second we are asked, as 99 percent of skaters do — somewhat responsible for the behavior they depict and profit from,” said Mackenzie Eisenhour, a former editor of Transworld Skateboarding, which has featured videos of security confrontations on its website.

But was it self-defense? One jury could not break a deadlock on that question. Another will hear the case in the coming months.

A confrontation like the one at 555 California would never have happened had skateboarding not moved, beginning in the 1980s, away from the parks and ramps built for the sport. Skateboarding now largely exists in a legally hazy space where amateur and professional skateboarders use existing infrastructure for their own purposes. Skateboarders, photographers and filmers now scout locations to document their tricks, creating a world with its own code of behavior, including an unspoken prohibition against executing the same trick at the same location as a previous skater.

That code never addressed how to respond when security workers do their job. Some skateboarders choose to flee before anything escalates, but others engage, often making for compelling scenes of what goes into the act of creating these videos.

A clip posted to Thrasher magazine’s Instagram account days before Jansen was injured shows a skater crashing into a security guard not far from 555 California Street.

Jansen had dealt with skateboarders many times before. The previous day, a colleague had called the police because of a resistant group of them.

“There’s 10, 15 skateboarders on the property, on the sidewalk,” the colleague says on a recording. “And we’ve asked them to leave and they’re not, and it’s getting out of hand. ”

On Dec. 10, the police in San Francisco arrested Jesse Vieira, a professional skateboarder, in connection with the confrontation with Jansen. Vieira was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury.

He pleaded not guilty and claimed self-defense. In May, a jury deadlocked. Prosecutors have set a new court date for September.

A lawyer for Vieira, Doug Rappaport, said the altercation and Jansen’s injury were the result of a series of unfortunate events. He said Jansen overreacted in the heat of the moment.

“Everything just came to a head that day and he just lost his cool just for a split second and Jesse happened to be standing there,” Rappaport said. “It’s unfortunate for everybody, horrible for the security guard.”

Jansen’s family is less focused on the outcome of the trial than on his struggles with the injuries.

“What happens to Jesse doesn’t change anything,” Amanda Jansen said when asked how she felt after the mistrial.

Regardless of the outcome of the next trial, some important voices from within skateboarding are acknowledging that the sport needs to put the brakes on glorifying conflicts with security workers and get back to what Eisenhour described as “certain guidelines” that can minimize “the odds of conflict — and keeping the disruption to a minimum so the spot can still be used by others.”

If this case is an example, those guidelines may have broken down over time.

Brian Anderson, a longtime professional skateboarder and Thrasher’s 1999 skater of the year, said there were ways to head off a conflict.

“Sometimes there will be a security guard that’s like, ‘Hey you guys, I didn’t see you, you didn’t see me,’ and he or she will actually leave and you say thanks,” Anderson said.

Other times, skating involves moving from one place to the next to stay one step ahead of trouble.

“Treating those people with respect and walking away provides you with the opportunity to just feel better, feel good about yourself, but also you can most likely come back,” Josh Stewart, who makes films about the sport, said.

Since the inception of skateboarding, many skateboarders have sought the image of being rebels in an outlaw sport in which dodging security guards and the police goes with the territory. In the 1970s, skaters would find foreclosed homes and skate in their empty swimming pools, quickly fleeing if somebody came.

Once street skateboarding became dominant, videos that celebrated altercations with security guards, homeowners and pedestrians began to proliferate.

Neal Mims, a former professional skateboarder, said the rebellious side of skateboarding was always present. He said he did not like it because it was disrespectful to those outside the sport.

In a 1999 clip from the Transworld Skateboarding video “Feedback,” Mims nearly crashed into an oncoming security worker, and then got into a verbal altercation.

Mims, now a skateboarding coach, said skaters still recited the dialogue to him, though he was now ashamed of it. “The words, the language that I used, all is very disrespectful,” he said. “Pointing my finger in his face, telling him this ‘thing will annihilate you.’”

In 2018, around the time of the confrontation at 555 California Street, the skateboard shop and streetwear brand Supreme released a video called “Blessed.” In the final section of the video, the skateboarder Tyshawn Jones was shown trying to wrestle a security worker’s bicycle away from him and to tear barriers from a security worker’s hands in order to do his tricks. Later in 2018, Jones was crowned Thrasher’s skater of the year.

“I do believe that having Supreme, then Thrasher, elevate and glamorize that behavior to their highest rungs can lead to bad things as kids copy it in real life,” Eisenhour said. “To a degree, we are all guilty.”

Jones declined to comment. Thrasher did not respond to requests for comment.

For two weeks, there was no official word about who was involved at Black Rock, but the police suspected skateboarders, according to news reports. The security footage the police were using to identify suspects clearly showed a group of seven skateboarders.

upload

hashbrowns

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1792 on: July 27, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »
At the end of the day, the GX dudes weren't supposed to be at black rock in the first place, and they knew that.

Nothing would have happened if they left after being asked to like adults. I've lived and skated in SF and security guards can be dicks but the best way to get them to not be dicks is to just keep it moving. Any time a situation like this arises it makes life harder for all of us trying to get out and skate in SF in particular but also generally.

So yeah, there are some arguments to be made about who is in the wrong once the conflict escalated but to be frank it never should have got to that point and I think most of us know that.

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #1793 on: July 27, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »
ok but then the topic changes to the "morality" of skating on private property at all

but really we should just abolish the whole notion of "private property" altogether ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 05:54:34 PM by fongool »

gaseous clay

« Reply #1794 on: July 27, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1795 on: July 27, 2019, 08:24:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

larry graham from sly and the family stone invented slapping the bass for those who don't know

He’s also Drake’s uncle, for those who don’t know.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1796 on: July 28, 2019, 05:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You’re pathetic.
[close]

got it
[close]

HTH.
[close]

i've had guards throw my board before, but if i were to start physically attacking them in response that's nobody's responsibility but mine.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #1798 on: August 14, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
https://abc7news.com/sf-security-guard-critically-hurt-in-attack/4768749/

This shit is so fucking lame. Around the time this happened my friends and I were in the area skating, and the police stopped and detained us for an hour for questioning (that’s us in the news video). Police came by twice last night to question all skaters at The Island about the incident. IMHO this was bound to happen after Thr*sher and other media outlets repeatedly post videos (eg G*1000) with violent security encounters, only encouraging more of these incidents. This is some fuckboi shit and should not be allowed. As it stands now the block is very hot in SF for all skaters.
fuck no, in my town we barely have any spots so when we do get kicked out its part of the fun to try to get one more try and fuck with the fat fuck security guard.
big texas cummer

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1799 on: August 14, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
Jesus this is brutal

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/video-group-use-skateboards-in-downtown-beating

It is already a one sided fight so no reason to use the fucking boards. Glad no one was killed. Fucking hell.

Edit: Also the article is very confusing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:12:43 AM by os89 »