Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 371747 times)

thebaggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1830 on: September 18, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Silly rule? Yah it's completely unacceptable that people ask for the rules of their property to be obeyed and their employees to be treated with dignity. Some of you are really sad.
[close]

the sidewalk is not their property.  it's city property.  Once they were on the sidewalk he should have gone inside and called the cops.
[close]

Technically but that’s a major stretch and the whole situation could have been avoided. Last I checked Dela was removing their barricade and skate their ledge. So, again, entitlement attitude leads to a fight and a disabled senior citizen. Bravo, guys!

I can’t wait for Dela to lose his sponsorships. Then I can harass him at his job when he has to get a 9 to 5.
[close]

the mental gymnastics you're going through to vilify these guys despite clear video evidence showing self defense is really impressive. 

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

You must be one of the good homies huh. The courts disagree with you, rationale disagrees with you, and I disagree with you. No gymnastics required as I have a functioning brain, one that isnt compromised by the pathology that is skateboarder ego. Thank god I have yet to run into a motherfucker like you while in s.f, but then again, I do avoid art shows. You see I'd rather be riding my skateboard instead of using it as a means to extort the culture, or to paralyze an old man. Fuck gx1000. Skateboarding may be eternal but bullying should never leave grade school.
[close]

Do you really think that a security guard should get physical over protecting property from skaters?  This spot has been getting skated for the last thirty years, why would anyone go to the extreme that the security guard did?  Certainly there must be a protocol before getting violent and certainly he could have just called the cops, right?
[close]

Completely irrelevant when weighed against the end result.

No amount of errors or physical interjection ( save for lethal force ) on behalf of this particular security guard ( being old and out numbered 5 to 1 ) warrants any modicum of returned physical force under the guise of self defense, per the legal definition of self defense ( especially in CA ). This fact is definitive once put into the context that the gx dudes created for themselves.

Gx dudes were effectively on the property illegally after guard asks them to leave. This makes them responsible for any outcome moving forward. This reality mutes any rational or justifiable self defense argument by proxy.
   Self defense is contingent upon the subjects actions of reasonableness. An example of how prosecutors define reasonableness in this capacity; did the subject attempt to de-escalate, avoid, or escape the situation before having to reasonably resort to physical force? Were the physical actions of the gx dudes reasonably justifiable within the parameters of the use of force continuum?
    Gx dudes made absolutely no attempt at de escalating the situation ( exemplified by moving barriers, refusing to leave ). They certainly could have avoided the altercation altogether, and they irrefutably could have escaped guards "aggressive behavior" and his range of force simply by hopping on their boards and bombing the hill ( like they so effortlessly did after paralyzing the dude ) Use of force on behalf of the gx dudes does not reflect a reasonable continuum: One unarmed old man vs 5 young men who resort to using an improvised weapon.
    Because guard didnt die the prosecutors are only required to provide their burden of proof based off of the propensity of the evidence in order to get a conviction ( as opposed to having to prove beyond a reasonable doubt ). Its obvious to me though that these guys are fucking freaks for their behavior and I have no doubt that if I ever witness some shit like that I will do my best to prevent those bullies from harming elderly.
[close]

Did you get your law degree out of a vending machine or something?

Nah just reiterating obvious shit that my d.a told me
Rotate your wheels regularly.

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #1831 on: September 18, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Silly rule? Yah it's completely unacceptable that people ask for the rules of their property to be obeyed and their employees to be treated with dignity. Some of you are really sad.
[close]

the sidewalk is not their property.  it's city property.  Once they were on the sidewalk he should have gone inside and called the cops.
[close]

Technically but that’s a major stretch and the whole situation could have been avoided. Last I checked Dela was removing their barricade and skate their ledge. So, again, entitlement attitude leads to a fight and a disabled senior citizen. Bravo, guys!

I can’t wait for Dela to lose his sponsorships. Then I can harass him at his job when he has to get a 9 to 5.
[close]

the mental gymnastics you're going through to vilify these guys despite clear video evidence showing self defense is really impressive. 

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

You must be one of the good homies huh. The courts disagree with you, rationale disagrees with you, and I disagree with you. No gymnastics required as I have a functioning brain, one that isnt compromised by the pathology that is skateboarder ego. Thank god I have yet to run into a motherfucker like you while in s.f, but then again, I do avoid art shows. You see I'd rather be riding my skateboard instead of using it as a means to extort the culture, or to paralyze an old man. Fuck gx1000. Skateboarding may be eternal but bullying should never leave grade school.
[close]

Do you really think that a security guard should get physical over protecting property from skaters?  This spot has been getting skated for the last thirty years, why would anyone go to the extreme that the security guard did?  Certainly there must be a protocol before getting violent and certainly he could have just called the cops, right?
[close]

No amount of errors or physical interjection ( save for lethal force ) on behalf of this particular security guard ( being old and out numbered 5 to 1 ) warrants any modicum of returned physical force under the guise of self defense, per the legal definition of self defense ( especially in CA ). This fact is definitive once put into the context that the gx dudes created for themselves.

Gx dudes were effectively on the property illegally after guard asks them to leave. This makes them responsible for any outcome moving forward. This reality mutes any rational or justifiable self defense argument by proxy.
   Self defense is contingent upon the subjects actions of reasonableness. An example of how prosecutors define reasonableness in this capacity; did the subject attempt to de-escalate, avoid, or escape the situation before having to reasonably resort to physical force? Were the physical actions of the gx dudes reasonably justifiable within the parameters of the use of force continuum?
    Gx dudes made absolutely no attempt at de escalating the situation ( exemplified by moving barriers, refusing to leave ). They certainly could have avoided the altercation altogether, and they irrefutably could have escaped guards "aggressive behavior" and his range of force simply by hopping on their boards and bombing the hill ( like they so effortlessly did after paralyzing the dude ) Use of force on behalf of the gx dudes does not reflect a reasonable continuum: One unarmed old man vs 5 young men who resort to using an improvised weapon.
    Because guard didnt die the prosecutors are only required to provide their burden of proof based off of the propensity of the evidence in order to get a conviction ( as opposed to having to prove beyond a reasonable doubt ). Its obvious to me though that these guys are fucking freaks for their behavior and I have no doubt that if I ever witness some shit like that I will do my best to prevent those bullies from harming elderly.
The guards choice to get physical is not completely irrelevant and if you have been following the case than you know that a majority of the jury agrees with the self-defense argument the lawyers presented. I’m not saying what happened was right nor was it not tragic but to not look at the responsibility of the guard and his choice to get physical first is at best being blind.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1832 on: September 18, 2019, 09:33:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah just reiterating obvious shit that my d.a told me

Well they are a fraud, which is par for the course for a da.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 09:38:43 AM by Mr. Stinky »

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1833 on: September 18, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
no fighting

#GATZ

mArLeY

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #1834 on: September 18, 2019, 09:39:52 AM »
From a claw machine at a bowling alley.

thebaggy

« Reply #1835 on: September 18, 2019, 09:43:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
The guards choice to get physical is not completely irrelevant and if you have been following the case than you know that a majority of the jury agrees with the self-defense argument the lawyers presented. I’m not saying what happened was right nor was it not tragic but to not look at the responsibility of the guard and his choice to get physical first is at best being blind.

If the majority of the jury agrees with the self defense case that's tragic. I'm sure the judge will take into account how fucking stupid jurors can be in s.f.  I know that what those kooks did was wrong, and I can only hope that if they dont get prosecuted criminally that they get reamed civilly. Ideally GX gets sued and shut down. I have no tolerance for violent bullies in skateboarding. Please take your bigotry, hatred, hypocrisy and ego to the football field.

Austen Seaholmes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1836 on: September 18, 2019, 10:58:37 AM »
^sounds cool but it won't happen...do think that they can go after each skater's sponsors? If Dela was there can they sue habitat, cons and nhs(oj)? of course not. This whole situation is horrible but the guard did choose to confront. We are not talking about a bank robbery - it is a simple trespass - and we're not talking about hoping fences or the like. Its an area that anybody can walk through. What was the guards goal when confronting? was he going to hold them down until police arrive? Why would he not just call the cops? Especially if it is a group of 8+ and your alone. I guarantee the corp has protocol for this type of event and I highly doubt this was it.   

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1837 on: September 18, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

If the majority of the jury agrees with the self defense case that's tragic. I'm sure the judge will take into account how fucking stupid jurors can be in s.f.  I know that what those kooks did was wrong, and I can only hope that if they dont get prosecuted criminally that they get reamed civilly. Ideally GX gets sued and shut down. I have no tolerance for violent bullies in skateboarding. Please take your bigotry, hatred, hypocrisy and ego to the football field.

I am an actual lawyer and this whole thread is melting my brain.  All criminal charges--all of them, from minor property crimes to serial murders--require that the prosecution prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, as in: you can't think of a single plausible reason to doubt the person's guilt.  It's supposed to make it pretty hard to wrongfully convict someone of a crime. Preponderance of the evidence is the civil liability standard and it means "substantially more likely than not, based on the evidence presented", and it does not apply in any criminal cases. 

Your DA friend might have been telling you that if the criminal case is dismissed because they don't want to retry it after a hung jury, the guard could still pursue a civil claim (for $$$, not jail time) that carries a lower burden of proof.  But he won't do that either because civil suits for major injuries cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and these dudes are fuckin broke so there isn't even a pot of money at the end of the process to justify the trouble.  I've heard people say around here that professional skateboarders are considered independent contractors under California law everywhere but in organized competitions, and there is no vicarious liability by businesses for the acts of indepdendent contractors pretty much full stop.  So his sponsors won't have to pay anything either because he's a contractor.  The difference between an employee and a contractor is that contractors decide for themselves how to do the "job" they were hired to do whereas employees are legally presumed to be directed and controlled by their employers while on the job.  Since the sponsors don't have any control over how a skateboarder does their job (except, apparently, when they are skating in organized competitions), they aren't responsible for skateboarder's actions.  Simple as that. 

Finally, a judge can't "do something about" a jury unless there is some kind of evidence of juror misconduct or jury tampering otherwise, worrying about what the jury decides isn't his job.  That's because the judge and the jury do completely different things: the judge decides what law applies in the case (which includes deciding what evidence may be presented at trial and the specific legal definition of the charges being brought by the DA, among a lot of other things) and the jury decides "fact" questions, e.g., did the person actually do the thing(s) they are being charged with based on the evidence presented.  The jury definitely heard all of the evidence about trespassing, who was the initial aggressor, and who had the duty to disengage in order to be able to claim self defense at trial because the judge decided to instruct the jury that they could acquit for self defense based on the evidence.  Some of the jurors voted to do that and it resulted in a hung jury. 

In a super fact-intensive case like this, a hung jury might tell the prosecutor they didn't do so hot at presenting their evidence, and if they can't find a way to tighten up their trial strategy with they evidence they have to work with, they'll often just drop the charges instead of trying a losing strategy again hoping for better results.  I'm guessing that's as likely as anything to happen here, but on the other hand the prosecutor might just want to bag a skateboarder for some reason. You asked a cop (your DA friend) about this and you got a cop's response, which is of course he's guilty there's no other way about it.  Good thing there are non-cop lawyers out there out there who actually care about what's fair instead of just getting convictions to please their bosses who will be up for reelection in a year or two. 

thebaggy

« Reply #1838 on: September 18, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I am an actual lawyer and this whole thread is melting my brain.  All criminal charges--all of them, from minor property crimes to serial murders--require that the prosecution prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, as in: you can't think of a single plausible reason to doubt the person's guilt.  It's supposed to make it pretty hard to wrongfully convict someone of a crime. Preponderance of the evidence is the civil liability standard and it means "substantially more likely than not, based on the evidence presented", and it does not apply in any criminal cases. 

Your DA friend might have been telling you that if the criminal case is dismissed because they don't want to retry it after a hung jury, the guard could still pursue a civil claim (for $$$, not jail time) that carries a lower burden of proof.  But he won't do that either because civil suits for major injuries cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and these dudes are fuckin broke so there isn't even a pot of money at the end of the process to justify the trouble.  I've heard people say around here that professional skateboarders are considered independent contractors under California law everywhere but in organized competitions, and there is no vicarious liability by businesses for the acts of indepdendent contractors pretty much full stop.  So his sponsors won't have to pay anything either because he's a contractor.  The difference between an employee and a contractor is that contractors decide for themselves how to do the "job" they were hired to do whereas employees are legally presumed to be directed and controlled by their employers while on the job.  Since the sponsors don't have any control over how a skateboarder does their job (except, apparently, when they are skating in organized competitions), they aren't responsible for skateboarder's actions.  Simple as that. 

Finally, a judge can't "do something about" a jury unless there is some kind of evidence of juror misconduct or jury tampering otherwise, worrying about what the jury decides isn't his job.  That's because the judge and the jury do completely different things: the judge decides what law applies in the case (which includes deciding what evidence may be presented at trial and the specific legal definition of the charges being brought by the DA, among a lot of other things) and the jury decides "fact" questions, e.g., did the person actually do the thing(s) they are being charged with based on the evidence presented.  The jury definitely heard all of the evidence about trespassing, who was the initial aggressor, and who had the duty to disengage in order to be able to claim self defense at trial because the judge decided to instruct the jury that they could acquit for self defense based on the evidence.  Some of the jurors voted to do that and it resulted in a hung jury. 

In a super fact-intensive case like this, a hung jury might tell the prosecutor they didn't do so hot at presenting their evidence, and if they can't find a way to tighten up their trial strategy with they evidence they have to work with, they'll often just drop the charges instead of trying a losing strategy again hoping for better results.  I'm guessing that's as likely as anything to happen here, but on the other hand the prosecutor might just want to bag a skateboarder for some reason. You asked a cop (your DA friend) about this and you got a cop's response, which is of course he's guilty there's no other way about it.  Good thing there are non-cop lawyers out there out there who actually care about what's fair instead of just getting convictions to please their bosses who will be up for reelection in a year or two.

Sick now we are getting somewhere. My point about the jurors sucking remains the same. And the absurdity regarding the notion of rationalizing any of Jesse's behavior as him defending himself against bodily injury remains the same. My goal here isnt to argue legal semantics although I'm never opposed to learning. My goal here is to express how horrible and disparate it is to justify and back Jesse's ( and the rest involved ) actions towards one old dude. If you legitimately felt in fear against that man under those circumstances you are a coward at best. Cowards dont flip grind double kink rails. We've been skating there for decades, this is the first time a security guard has been paralyzed. This is a reflection of their behavior, not the status quo of the spot or the security response thereof. 

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1839 on: September 18, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sick now we are getting somewhere. My point about the jurors sucking remains the same. And the absurdity regarding the notion of rationalizing any of Jesse's behavior as him defending himself against bodily injury remains the same. My goal here isnt to argue legal semantics although I'm never opposed to learning. My goal here is to express how horrible and disparate it is to justify and back Jesse's ( and the rest involved ) actions towards one old dude. If you legitimately felt in fear against that man under those circumstances you are a coward at best. Cowards dont flip grind double kink rails. We've been skating there for decades, this is the first time a security guard has been paralyzed. This is a reflection of their behavior, not the status quo of the spot or the security response thereof.

Where in this dumpster fire of a thread do you see anyone “justify[ing] and backing Jesse’s actions”?

This situation was fucked.
They should have left but didn’t.
He should have called the cops but didn’t.
Both parties fucked up, now one has brain damage and the other did six months time. Everyone lives with heavy consequences. Stop acting like anyone got away or won anything. Everyone involved lost something and literally no one feels good about it. That’s it.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1840 on: September 18, 2019, 01:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dela fucked your girl?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Where in this dumpster fire of a thread do you see anyone “justify[ing] and backing Jesse’s actions”?

This situation was fucked.
They should have left but didn’t.
He should have called the cops but didn’t.
Both parties fucked up, now one has brain damage and the other did six months time. Everyone lives with heavy consequences. Stop acting like anyone got away or won anything. Everyone involved lost something and literally no one feels good about it. That’s it.

I'll just add to this that American prisons are hot beds of state sanctioned rape and other forms of torture, so wishing prison on anyone is pretty fucked up.

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1841 on: September 18, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »
But, one day, we'll be able to brag about how tough we are because we've done time in US prisons. Think of how awesome the movie and TV quotes will be! Like on The Wire, when Sergei says "In my country, I was in jail  four years, in my country, this is not prison. This is nothing". Now who is tough?

Life is tough. Jail is easy.

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #1842 on: September 18, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »
a reminder that these dudes fled the scene in savage "bomb hill" mode after the security guard cracked his skull

IMO, youre over thinking it dude. It doesnt really mean much..theyre obviously fleeing a scene, they bomb that hill all the fucking time so they know its quick. Doubt anyone thought about staying true to their aesthetic at that point..it is what it is.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1843 on: April 14, 2021, 06:44:34 PM »
Anyone know how Dan Jansen the security guard is doing?

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1844 on: April 27, 2021, 09:29:48 PM »
"A former San Francisco security guard who was injured on the job has filed a lawsuit against pro skateboarder Jesse Vieira, Thrasher magazine and the owners of 555 California, which includes the Trump Organization."

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/2021-04-dan-jansen-jesse-vieira-555-california-16133140.php
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1845 on: April 27, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »
Hope Jansen wins his lawsuit against Vieira.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1846 on: April 27, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »
Hope Jansen wins his lawsuit against Vieira.

And Trump. 

Apparently Vieira is fairly remorseless about the whole thing according to someone who visited him in jail.   I can’t imagine he has much, but I hope they take whatever it is he has. 

For those who didn’t read the article, Thrasher is getting sued for owning the copyright to GX1000 as this was a GX crew thing.  Surprised he hasn’t added Garshell or Dela to the list.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1847 on: April 27, 2021, 10:29:20 PM »
I as well hope he wins the lawsuit agains Jesse. Although, a lawsuit against thrasher and the building is a bit of a stretch IMO.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1848 on: April 27, 2021, 10:45:38 PM »
He was always gonna go after Thrasher. Took his lawyers about two years to figure out they trademarked GX1000. I have no idea if that's fast or slow but it was always gonna happen.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1849 on: April 28, 2021, 06:59:39 AM »
I got my paralegal, which in certain jurisdictions is equal to a vending machine law degree.

I assume the plaintiff will sue Thrasher under respondeat superieur. The difficulty, as it appears to me with limited knowledge of contract law, is proving Jesse was an employee of Thrasher at the time of the incident: Were they specifically filming for a video involving Thrasher? Is GX considered an employee anytime they’re filming?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1850 on: April 28, 2021, 08:05:38 AM »
I got my paralegal, which in certain jurisdictions is equal to a vending machine law degree.

I assume the plaintiff will sue Thrasher under respondeat superieur. The difficulty, as it appears to me with limited knowledge of contract law, is proving Jesse was an employee of Thrasher at the time of the incident: Were they specifically filming for a video involving Thrasher? Is GX considered an employee anytime they’re filming?

Gonna go ahead and say a 14 week certification course is not the same thing as a law degree. Anywhere. A paralegal does work delegated to them by a lawyer. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but it’s no where near the same thing.

To illustrate the power of a law degree, there are 2 law schools in the state of Wisconsin that if you earn a juris doctorate you can be admitted the state bar and can practice law under something known as dipolma privilege, without having to take the bar exam, but one can only practice law in the state of Wisconsin.

And to answer your question, I assume all of them are considered independent contractors.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:19:07 AM by Freelancevagrant »
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1851 on: April 28, 2021, 09:00:34 AM »
He was always gonna go after Thrasher. Took his lawyers about two years to figure out they trademarked GX1000. I have no idea if that's fast or slow but it was always gonna happen.

they probably knew for a while but were attempting to try and resolve it out of court and hunting down an insurance policy to go after. 

edit: they also probably sorted out the workers comp claim before trying to make a 3rd party liability claim.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1852 on: April 28, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gonna go ahead and say a 14 week certification course is not the same thing as a law degree. Anywhere. A paralegal does work delegated to them by a lawyer. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but it’s no where near the same thing.

To illustrate the power of a law degree, there are 2 law schools in the state of Wisconsin that if you earn a juris doctorate you can be admitted the state bar and can practice law under something known as dipolma privilege, without having to take the bar exam, but one can only practice law in the state of Wisconsin.

And to answer your question, I assume all of them are considered independent contractors.

I think he was just joking
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1853 on: April 28, 2021, 09:09:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

in every jurisdiction i'm aware of you do not have to be a formal employee to be considered an agent/servant/representative/under the control of a business.  in a lot of construction litigation the contractor, subcontractor, reality trust, and property management companies end up as defendants  for this very reason (thats why most of their contracts have subrogation clauses).
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1854 on: April 28, 2021, 09:19:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think he was just joking

I didn’t consider that and will feel like a huge dick head if that’s the case
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1855 on: April 28, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »

in every jurisdiction i'm aware of you do not have to be a formal employee to be considered an agent/servant/representative/under the control of a business.  in a lot of construction litigation the contractor, subcontractor, reality trust, and property management companies end up as defendants  for this very reason (thats why most of their contracts have subrogation clauses).

Big difference here is that we're talking an intentional tort and not a construction defect type case where it isn't clear whose faulty work among a cluster of contractors/subs whose work is closely intertwined caused the defect at the outset of a lawsuit.  While independent contractors are, like employees, agents of the person who hired them, scope of their agency is extremely attenuated as compared to a conventional employee because of the legal nature of that relationship.  The general rule remains that independent contractors use their own discretion in how to complete the work they were contracted to perform. So, in the absence certain rare exceptions, there is no liability by one who hires a contractor for the contractor's negligence.  That goes double for intentional torts, which require the extra element of ratification (advance approval of the tortious conduct or failure to subsequently address it) before holding employers liable for employee's conduct while in the course and scope of employment.  So at minimum, the slim chance that Thrasher/High Speed ratified the conduct would be required for liability, and that's assuming he were to be considered an employee (even more unlikely).

The case against the building is bad, too.  He's almost certainly an employee of a contractor who provides security services for the defendant building/property management, he's aware that altercations are possible in the course of his job, and the duty to warn, if any, would likely fall on his employer.  Since his employer is a contractor of the building/property management company, they (very much by design) aren't liable for the acts of independent contractors any more than Thrasher/High Speed.  Vieira is the low-hanging fruit, but he's judgment proof and the judgment could or would be discharged in bankruptcy anyway. 

I'm just spitballing and could be mistaken about something important, but still, I see lots of reasons to feel bad for this dude and his prospects of getting any money this way.  Even though I would quite literally be out of a job if it were any different, this is why civil lawsuits and liability insurance are no substitute for a nation simply treating its citizens humanely by providing for their essential needs through generous social programs.     

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #1856 on: April 28, 2021, 10:04:09 AM »
i temped as a receptionist for a law firm in new jersey for 3 months so im something of a lawyer myself

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #1857 on: April 28, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
Don't you worry, I watched Matlock in a bar last night. The sound wasn't on, but I caught the gist of it.

weregoingunion

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1858 on: April 28, 2021, 10:45:12 AM »

oh so that's what heath sold through those vending machines.
r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1859 on: April 28, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/BqIpc28lsF6/?igshid=obiq6e1n0o8x

I believe Duffel’s going to defend him (if the comments are any indication)