Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 372686 times)

tortfeasor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1860 on: April 28, 2021, 10:54:23 AM »
Expand Quote

in every jurisdiction i'm aware of you do not have to be a formal employee to be considered an agent/servant/representative/under the control of a business.  in a lot of construction litigation the contractor, subcontractor, reality trust, and property management companies end up as defendants  for this very reason (thats why most of their contracts have subrogation clauses).
[close]

Big difference here is that we're talking an intentional tort and not a construction defect type case where it isn't clear whose faulty work among a cluster of contractors/subs whose work is closely intertwined caused the defect at the outset of a lawsuit.  While independent contractors are, like employees, agents of the person who hired them, scope of their agency is extremely attenuated as compared to a conventional employee because of the legal nature of that relationship.  The general rule remains that independent contractors use their own discretion in how to complete the work they were contracted to perform. So, in the absence certain rare exceptions, there is no liability by one who hires a contractor for the contractor's negligence. That goes double for intentional torts, which require the extra element of ratification (advance approval of the tortious conduct or failure to subsequently address it) before holding employers liable for employee's conduct while in the course and scope of employment.  So at minimum, the slim chance that Thrasher/High Speed ratified the conduct would be required for liability, and that's assuming he were to be considered an employee (even more unlikely).

The case against the building is bad, too.  He's almost certainly an employee of a contractor who provides security services for the defendant building/property management, he's aware that altercations are possible in the course of his job, and the duty to warn, if any, would likely fall on his employer.  Since his employer is a contractor of the building/property management company, they (very much by design) aren't liable for the acts of independent contractors any more than Thrasher/High Speed.  Vieira is the low-hanging fruit, but he's judgment proof and the judgment could or would be discharged in bankruptcy anyway. 

I'm just spitballing and could be mistaken about something important, but still, I see lots of reasons to feel bad for this dude and his prospects of getting any money this way.  Even though I would quite literally be out of a job if it were any different, this is why civil lawsuits and liability insurance are no substitute for a nation simply treating its citizens humanely by providing for their essential needs through generous social programs.   

there are plenty of examples of a  a party being held liable for an intentional tort committed an independent contractor:
bar/bouncer cases, Uber assault cases, sexual harassment cases, day cares & summer camps, private security cases, really weird malicious destruction of property claims that sounds like movie but are not.

if the depositions break right i actually really like the case against the building. plus strategically it makes a ton sense.  i would have made the same call.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1861 on: April 28, 2021, 10:57:17 AM »
speaking as someone who has sued someone....its not about winning it's about holding someone accountable, in the end you find out who is to blame....if you truly feel wronged

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1862 on: April 28, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »
Of all this, I am particularly interested, but not surprised, to find out that Thrasher owns GX whole cloth. Makes sense, when you consider that GX is becoming something of a skater streetwear brand right as Thrasher became a little too mainstream for some.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #1863 on: April 28, 2021, 12:08:59 PM »
Of all this, I am particularly interested, but not surprised, to find out that Thrasher owns GX whole cloth. Makes sense, when you consider that GX is becoming something of a skater streetwear brand right as Thrasher became a little too mainstream for some.

They likely own Atlantic Drift outright as well

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1864 on: April 28, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

in every jurisdiction i'm aware of you do not have to be a formal employee to be considered an agent/servant/representative/under the control of a business.  in a lot of construction litigation the contractor, subcontractor, reality trust, and property management companies end up as defendants  for this very reason (thats why most of their contracts have subrogation clauses).
[close]

Big difference here is that we're talking an intentional tort and not a construction defect type case where it isn't clear whose faulty work among a cluster of contractors/subs whose work is closely intertwined caused the defect at the outset of a lawsuit.  While independent contractors are, like employees, agents of the person who hired them, scope of their agency is extremely attenuated as compared to a conventional employee because of the legal nature of that relationship.  The general rule remains that independent contractors use their own discretion in how to complete the work they were contracted to perform. So, in the absence certain rare exceptions, there is no liability by one who hires a contractor for the contractor's negligence. That goes double for intentional torts, which require the extra element of ratification (advance approval of the tortious conduct or failure to subsequently address it) before holding employers liable for employee's conduct while in the course and scope of employment.  So at minimum, the slim chance that Thrasher/High Speed ratified the conduct would be required for liability, and that's assuming he were to be considered an employee (even more unlikely).

The case against the building is bad, too.  He's almost certainly an employee of a contractor who provides security services for the defendant building/property management, he's aware that altercations are possible in the course of his job, and the duty to warn, if any, would likely fall on his employer.  Since his employer is a contractor of the building/property management company, they (very much by design) aren't liable for the acts of independent contractors any more than Thrasher/High Speed.  Vieira is the low-hanging fruit, but he's judgment proof and the judgment could or would be discharged in bankruptcy anyway. 

I'm just spitballing and could be mistaken about something important, but still, I see lots of reasons to feel bad for this dude and his prospects of getting any money this way.  Even though I would quite literally be out of a job if it were any different, this is why civil lawsuits and liability insurance are no substitute for a nation simply treating its citizens humanely by providing for their essential needs through generous social programs.   
[close]

there are plenty of examples of a  a party being held liable for an intentional tort committed an independent contractor:
bar/bouncer cases, Uber assault cases, sexual harassment cases, day cares & summer camps, private security cases, really weird malicious destruction of property claims that sounds like movie but are not.

if the depositions break right i actually really like the case against the building. plus strategically it makes a ton sense.  i would have made the same call.

Sure, it happens, but it's even less common than employer liability for employee intentional torts, which is already fairly uncommon.  At minimum it would take establishing an increased degree of control over the contractor sufficient to make them a de facto employee and foreseeability that the tort might be committed.

I suppose the best shot is liability against the building, since they might have directed the security to do something specific regarding skateboarders, but like you said, that's why good discovery is really important there.  I think it's a reach against High Speed/Thrasher, since it's not clear how exactly Vieira is legally tied to them or GX for that matter, but that's small potatoes compared to the building.

And none of this is to say that he won't see a payday, just that the best outcome is to find an angle early and settle against the parties with good liability policies before they drown him with motion practice. 

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1865 on: April 28, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »
Genuine question: What about demonstrating that High Speed/Thrasher pays for, promotes and profits of of footage/content featuring skater-involved fights and confrontations with security guards (in addition to owning the GX name)? Could the phrase "Skate and Destroy" be used against them?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

inkandimages

• Rep: 131
« Reply #1866 on: April 28, 2021, 12:28:40 PM »

This is absolutely abhorrent. The fact that 5,309 people liked this is making me sick to my stomach. Can you imagine if some NHL player beat someone into a coma with their hockey stick? Or an MLB athlete used their bat to give someone brain damage? Why Thrasher even continues to back GX is mind boggling. Why the industry hasn't called out Thrasher and GX is just gross. Shame on all of them. Disgusting fools and assholes. I really hope they are all held accountable.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1867 on: April 28, 2021, 01:10:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is absolutely abhorrent. The fact that 5,309 people liked this is making me sick to my stomach. Can you imagine if some NHL player beat someone into a coma with their hockey stick? Or an MLB athlete used their bat to give someone brain damage? Why Thrasher even continues to back GX is mind boggling. Why the industry hasn't called out Thrasher and GX is just gross. Shame on all of them. Disgusting fools and assholes. I really hope they are all held accountable.

when I started skating through 96-99, cats would always be talking about scenes in the movie KIDS, a few guys I skated with who later got into gang banging, would always pick fight with whom ever wouldn't let us skate.   SF is whole different animal though, I've had security come at me crazy just for cruising trough on a mini...I've even had cops harass me in the financial district for just walking my skateboard...not making any justifications but shits fucked all around

conqueso

« Reply #1868 on: April 28, 2021, 01:18:40 PM »
thrasher about to throw a tour trip to turkey with the whole staff

Red Eyed Swimmer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1869 on: April 28, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

GX was definitely called out when it went down and JV went to jail. Not really sure how Thrasher is responsible - are they responsible for anything that a skater does in video or mag? Is converse responsible since dela was there? I get why they are included in the lawsuit but the lawyer gets paid to get the client paid so they go after the deepest pockets. 

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
« Reply #1870 on: April 28, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
I got my paralegal, which in certain jurisdictions is equal to a vending machine law degree.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
We'll see you in court,
'Cause we're suing yewww!

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1871 on: April 28, 2021, 03:02:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that post is from 2 weeks before the incident happened

also, it will be very interesting to see how this suit plays out re: the notion that a sponsor could be held legally liable for anything a rider of theirs does in public while they're skating

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #1872 on: April 28, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »
Despite the video Dela got off scott free huh

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1873 on: April 28, 2021, 05:02:13 PM »
Interesting to note, apparently he’s back on Pizza.  Wish they’d get sued into oblivion

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1874 on: April 28, 2021, 05:03:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I got my paralegal, which in certain jurisdictions is equal to a vending machine law degree.

I assume the plaintiff will sue Thrasher under respondeat superieur. The difficulty, as it appears to me with limited knowledge of contract law, is proving Jesse was an employee of Thrasher at the time of the incident: Were they specifically filming for a video involving Thrasher? Is GX considered an employee anytime they’re filming?
[close]

Gonna go ahead and say a 14 week certification course is not the same thing as a law degree. Anywhere. A paralegal does work delegated to them by a lawyer. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but it’s no where near the same thing.

To illustrate the power of a law degree, there are 2 law schools in the state of Wisconsin that if you earn a juris doctorate you can be admitted the state bar and can practice law under something known as dipolma privilege, without having to take the bar exam, but one can only practice law in the state of Wisconsin.

And to answer your question, I assume all of them are considered independent contractors.
hahaha. you're hyped on lawyers!

mushroom slice

« Reply #1875 on: April 28, 2021, 05:07:32 PM »
Interesting to note, apparently he’s back on Pizza.  Wish they’d get sued into oblivion
Why do you hate these people so much? I can’t make heads or tails of it? Do you know them? You seem extremely caught up in their business. Is this sf stuff?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1876 on: April 28, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I assume the plaintiff will sue Thrasher under respondeat superieur. The difficulty, as it appears to me with limited knowledge of contract law, is proving Jesse was an employee of Thrasher at the time of the incident: Were they specifically filming for a video involving Thrasher? Is GX considered an employee anytime they’re filming?
[close]

Gonna go ahead and say a 14 week certification course is not the same thing as a law degree. Anywhere. A paralegal does work delegated to them by a lawyer. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but it’s no where near the same thing.

To illustrate the power of a law degree, there are 2 law schools in the state of Wisconsin that if you earn a juris doctorate you can be admitted the state bar and can practice law under something known as dipolma privilege, without having to take the bar exam, but one can only practice law in the state of Wisconsin.

And to answer your question, I assume all of them are considered independent contractors.
[close]
hahaha. you're hyped on lawyers!

I specialize in bird law.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #1877 on: April 28, 2021, 05:17:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Why do you hate these people so much? I can’t make heads or tails of it? Do you know them? You seem extremely caught up in their business. Is this sf stuff?

No, it is you that has an implicit bias!

mushroom slice

« Reply #1878 on: April 28, 2021, 05:20:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

How? I’m just asking a question?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #1879 on: April 28, 2021, 05:20:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The name says it all. He’s a plant.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

JosephSmith

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1880 on: April 28, 2021, 05:35:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

The name says it all. He’s a plant.

You’re a towel

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #1881 on: April 28, 2021, 05:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh c'mon... can't understand why people aren't hyped on GX after this whole incident? Or Pizza skateboards for sponsoring this dude again?

I mean I guess I don't understand wanting blood for blood, and no I don't really like seeing careers demolished because of a bad decision. But as an advocate for justice, retribution and reform should be expected in the wake of an event like this. That's justice. Obviously I have no idea how Jesse feels or what he's done for or said to the family, but I don't recall seeing anything from Pizza or Jesse (or GX, for that matter) apologizing for or addressing his problematic behavior in the situation. Or Chase Webb's (unless you count denial after denial). Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are remorseless fucks.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

mushroom slice

« Reply #1882 on: April 28, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Oh c'mon... can't understand why people aren't hyped on GX after this whole incident? Or Pizza skateboards for sponsoring this dude again?

I mean I guess I don't understand wanting blood for blood, and no I don't really like seeing careers demolished because of a bad decision. But as an advocate for justice, retribution and reform should be expected in the wake of an event like this. That's justice. Obviously I have no idea how Jesse feels or what he's done for or said to the family, but I don't recall seeing anything from Pizza or Jesse (or GX, for that matter) apologizing for or addressing his problematic behavior in the situation. Or Chase Webb's (unless you count denial after denial). Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are remorseless fucks.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know these people and I gather you don’t either. Aruba apple head seems to know them personally so I asked them a question.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1883 on: April 28, 2021, 06:34:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know these people and I gather you don’t either. Aruba apple head seems to know them personally so I asked them a question.

Actually, you asked three questions. And no I don't know them... "Why on earth would anyone else care about this situation or what becomes of those involved, especially on a skateboarding forum?" Is my single contemptuous question for you.

mushroom slice

« Reply #1884 on: April 28, 2021, 06:44:39 PM »
I asked 4 questions not 3. not one was directed at you homie. Nah bless

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1885 on: April 28, 2021, 06:45:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Actually, you asked three questions. And no I don't know them... "Why on earth would anyone else care about this situation or what becomes of those involved, especially on a skateboarding forum?" Is my single contemptuous question for you.

Pizza alone is just one of the worst brands (name + graphics) without them having sponsored alleged rapists Adam Taylor and Chase Webb and unrepentant assaulter Jesse Vieira not to mention having James Pantaloons working for them.   My question to is what is there to like about them?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1886 on: April 28, 2021, 06:48:44 PM »

One of your questions was a statement you put a question mark at the end of

mushroom slice

« Reply #1887 on: April 28, 2021, 06:56:29 PM »
Ok. Sorry

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1888 on: April 28, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
Ok. Sorry

At least this Pizza apologizes

mushroom slice

« Reply #1889 on: April 28, 2021, 07:07:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One of your questions was a statement you put a question mark at the end of
But the other 3 questions you avoid? I just don’t get it. You seem to know these people personally.