Author Topic: Mike Sinclair a Douche?  (Read 39797 times)

darkslideoftheforce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
Re: Mike Sinclair a Douche?
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
Holy shit this thread is awesome! Mike fucking rules

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Sinclair, I always wanted to shake your hand. You rule. can we get this guy a few more free lunch episodes?
 Hey Sinclair, how about a pig video. Short sweet and sexy not a big production since I'm sure there isn't a budget.
I read once on the tum yeto site something about a new formula for PIG WHEELS, got the down low on that. I love the wheels btw. They use to make a wheel/shape called gutter cuts, a conical shape it was a little ahead of it's time, but now everyone is coming out with conical shapes, but none are as good as the gutter cuts. Bring em back Sinclair.....

From 1995-2000 I skated nothing but Tum Yeto...heck, my first "real" board ever was a Foundation.  Did the same with Pig Wheels when they came out...have one of the first PIG shirts and hoodies where the pig face actually looks and feels like part of the tee and not an iron on decal.  I remember ordering product direct from Tum Yeto and once they sent a shirt with a hole in it.  I sent it back and they sent me 3 or four tees in return.  Anyways, soccer mom's mentioning the Gutter Cuts gave me a flood of found memories.  Those wheels were awesome.

Do Tum Yeto tees still have the Retardo Tees labels in them?

Yum Teto...ooops, stupiado
hardly art, hardly starving

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3349
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Actually speaking of which, no names but off the top of your head how many gay skaters do you know or are aware of in the industry?
[close]

Yes please. Also, are they pitchers or catchers?
[close]

I'm vers

Big ups for my fellow vers playas!

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Why did Toy Machine stop using Watson wood for most of their decks??  I stopped buying them once they stopped.?  The 8.5 fists was my favorite deck of all time before the switch, i can't count how many of those i bought in a row.? 
[close]

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48:52 PM »
After Leo won SOTY would you say he become more of a cunt or less of a cunt? Does he ever pull the SOTY card if you ask him to get tricks? What actually happened with him and Baker?

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
Mike, name all the people in the industry who are flat out kooks. Don't leave anyone out. State why they suck.
Would love to hear some answers to this.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Actually speaking of which, no names but off the top of your head how many gay skaters do you know or are aware of in the industry?
[close]

[close]

I'm vers
[close]

If you do both, how do you decide whether you're going to be pitcher or catcher with this dude?  Especially if he's vers too? 

Sinclair--feel free to offer your solutions to this dilemma as well.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm vers
[close]

[close]

If you do both, how do you decide whether you're going to be pitcher or catcher with this dude?  Especially if he's vers too? 

dude its a formula; (height x weight) + (body hair/ hair density) - seasons of darma and greg owned
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

MANshark

• Rep: -5
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »
Sinclair, is Ben Gore getting kicked off Dekline... If it's true, why? 

b.v.

« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
Sinclair, is Ben Gore getting kicked off Dekline... If it's true, why? 
He's obviously avoided this question for a reason.

D. Bag

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm vers
[close]

[close]

Rock / Paper / Scissors, best 3 out of 5 gets first pick.

Tum Yeto

• Rep: 16
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:47 PM »
Question 6: Is Ben Gore off Dekline?

Slap Pals, it saddens me that recently I have had to let Ben Gore go from the Dekline team. Did he get kicked off? Well... not really but yeah he's off the team. I'll break it down the best I can for you all to digest and pick apart. Did I kick Ben off for him switching from Stereo to Magenta? No, I told Ben I would support his switch no matter what brand he ended up on. Did I say that I would like him to stick it out and stay with Stereo instead of going to to Magenta? Yes and this is the reason why. I like Stereo, I always have and probably always will. Stereo has a ton of history, it's a true skateboard company (not that Magenta is not) and it's owned by one of my all time favorite skateboarders Jason Lee. Do I dislike Magenta? No, not at all what so ever. In my opinion it's a safer bet to stick with a company that's been around for two decades when you are a new Pro. Small companies start up everyday and if you ride for a new company and they go under in 6 months, it's really tough to get picked up again as a Pro somewhere else. At the next trade show in two weeks there will be 3-5 new brands, does anyone think all of them will make it? I hope they all do but most likely not all of them will. Do I hope Magenta makes it? Fuck yes I hope they make it! Do I think Magenta will only last 6 months? No I think they will make it happen no matter what, that's what skater owned brands do, they always make it work. So back to Ben, have you seen his nollie flips? They are a thing of beauty.. His skating is so rad to me. I personally picked him for Dekline about four years ago and I gave him more ads than any of his sponsors during his time on Dekline. Ben wore the shoes and really like the shoes we make, we discussed a colorway for him and I back him and his skating 110%. So why is he off? Reason 1: Ben rides for MIA Skateshop and they do not carry Dekline. This is not to bad mouth or to point the finger at MIA at all, they sell what works for them and what the people are influenced by in their area. I personally know the owners of MIA but I would never ask them to carry something that does not work for them, plus I'm not in sales. Ben lives in SF but does not ride for a shop in SF. I don't even think we have a Dekline account in SF to tell you the truth. All of the other current team riders ride for shops that really get behind Dekline and that is honestly what we need to survive. We are a really small brand and every sell we get really makes a difference for us, Dekline paid Ben every month for the past 4 years and promoted him to the fullest yet we can't influence any shop he is down with to carry our product... This is not Ben's fault, this is not MIA's fault, this is not Dekline's fault, this just sucks plain and simple....So what do we do? We have to move on, we have to support the guys who support us. Do any of the guys on this forum asking about Ben and why he's off Dekline have a pair of Dekline's on? I would be super hyped if you did. If you do PM me and I'll send you a new pair if you really have a current pair of Dekline's that you skate in and you back Ben Gore or back Dekline in general. This is the shitty part of being a TM, the team always changes and this change was not performance based. It just comes down to brand and rider support. We supported Ben to the fullest but got no support back. I flow a kid in NYC and he won a gift card from a local contest last week, he told me he went to the shop and bought two pairs of Dekline's even though he gets whatever he wants for free from me anytime. I thought that was the coolest thing the kid could of done for us. That's real support! That's the love we need to make this small skateboarding shoe company work. Ben, we love you and I know you will find a good place my friend. I told Ben I would keep his name on our team list until he finds something that works for him. If any TM's are thinking of putting Ben on their team you should, he's mellow to hang with, he's a fucking ripper and has style for days. Ben, thank you for being a part of Dekline these past four years! I can't tell you how much I would like for you to still be on this tiny little skateboard team. Mike Sinclair 

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
Alright, now talk about this dude. Why do you think he isn't pro yet, is he really under the Tum Yeto umbrella, and what do you plan to do with him?

Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Fake Tits

« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
Hi Mike.  Love your work. No bullshit kinda guy.

Can you sum up Darrell Stanton for me in one word.

Thanks

FT.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2013, 01:00:42 AM »
Really appreciate these in depth answers and the time you take to type them. Sounds like you have to do make some harsh decisions but do them in a reasonable and respectable way.

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2013, 05:51:44 AM »
Mike aka Tum Yeto, bummer about Ben. I bought a pair of the Mason's because Ben rode for Dekline. I really like it when guys who don't ride for any of that distro's board companies ride for their shoe company. Diversifies it. If it's all Toy and Foundation dudes left on Dekline it's not as exciting IMO. I like lakai because they hook up Brady and Jensen. It's nice to see an extended family, not an exclusive one.
That's my two cents anyway. Still psyched on skater owned companies hanging around though, so best of luck.

cool spot

• Rep: 28
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2013, 06:53:04 AM »
 Do any of the guys on this forum asking about Ben and why he's off Dekline have a pair of Dekline's on?

super stoked that you have gore's back! there have been a few times i was very interested in trying deklines, but I've never even seen a pair in person (Northern CA, now in boston). Some models looks cool, and I'd love to buy something with Gore or Tim Tims name on it, but i'd rather not buy it online when Ive never even seen it in person. like you said, can't really pin it on anyone but consumers i suppose, but its tough without the option. looking on the site, tim tims do look like a great basic shoe, and id love to put a few bucks in that dudes pocket.

I'd be stoked if you keep adding guys outside of the tum yeto family as well! I like seeing riders not glued to one distribution for whatever reason.

ps give pat burke everything he needs to film another part please.

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
 Do any of the guys on this forum asking about Ben and why he's off Dekline have a pair of Dekline's on?
[close]

super stoked that you have gore's back! there have been a few times i was very interested in trying deklines, but I've never even seen a pair in person (Northern CA, now in boston). Some models looks cool, and I'd love to buy something with Gore or Tim Tims name on it, but i'd rather not buy it online when Ive never even seen it in person. like you said, can't really pin it on anyone but consumers i suppose, but its tough without the option. looking on the site, tim tims do look like a great basic shoe, and id love to put a few bucks in that dudes pocket.

I'd be stoked if you keep adding guys outside of the tum yeto family as well! I like seeing riders not glued to one distribution for whatever reason.

ps give pat burke everything he needs to film another part please.

I skated a pair of the Santa Fe's and Scouts and they were really good. I'm not brown nosing or anything haha. They both kept their shapes after a while, I felt like the Santa Fe's skated better but the scouts lasted longer. I wanna try out the Keaton's. I tried them on at a shop and they felt solid

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »

Slap Pals, it saddens me that recently I have had to let Ben Gore go from the Dekline team. Did he get kicked off? Well... not really but yeah he's off the team. I'll break it down the best I can for you all to digest and pick apart. Did I kick Ben off for him switching from Stereo to Magenta? No, I told Ben I would support his switch no matter what brand he ended up on. Did I say that I would like him to stick it out and stay with Stereo instead of going to to Magenta? Yes and this is the reason why. I like Stereo, I always have and probably always will. Stereo has a ton of history, it's a true skateboard company (not that Magenta is not) and it's owned by one of my all time favorite skateboarders Jason Lee. Do I dislike Magenta? No, not at all what so ever. In my opinion it's a safer bet to stick with a company that's been around for two decades when you are a new Pro. Small companies start up everyday and if you ride for a new company and they go under in 6 months, it's really tough to get picked up again as a Pro somewhere else. At the next trade show in two weeks there will be 3-5 new brands, does anyone think all of them will make it? I hope they all do but most likely not all of them will. Do I hope Magenta makes it? Fuck yes I hope they make it! Do I think Magenta will only last 6 months? No I think they will make it happen no matter what, that's what skater owned brands do, they always make it work. So back to Ben, have you seen his nollie flips? They are a thing of beauty.. His skating is so rad to me. I personally picked him for Dekline about four years ago and I gave him more ads than any of his sponsors during his time on Dekline. Ben wore the shoes and really like the shoes we make, we discussed a colorway for him and I back him and his skating 110%. So why is he off? Reason 1: Ben rides for MIA Skateshop and they do not carry Dekline. This is not to bad mouth or to point the finger at MIA at all, they sell what works for them and what the people are influenced by in their area. I personally know the owners of MIA but I would never ask them to carry something that does not work for them, plus I'm not in sales. Ben lives in SF but does not ride for a shop in SF. I don't even think we have a Dekline account in SF to tell you the truth. All of the other current team riders ride for shops that really get behind Dekline and that is honestly what we need to survive. We are a really small brand and every sell we get really makes a difference for us, Dekline paid Ben every month for the past 4 years and promoted him to the fullest yet we can't influence any shop he is down with to carry our product... This is not Ben's fault, this is not MIA's fault, this is not Dekline's fault, this just sucks plain and simple....So what do we do? We have to move on, we have to support the guys who support us. Do any of the guys on this forum asking about Ben and why he's off Dekline have a pair of Dekline's on? I would be super hyped if you did. If you do PM me and I'll send you a new pair if you really have a current pair of Dekline's that you skate in and you back Ben Gore or back Dekline in general. This is the shitty part of being a TM, the team always changes and this change was not performance based. It just comes down to brand and rider support. We supported Ben to the fullest but got no support back. I flow a kid in NYC and he won a gift card from a local contest last week, he told me he went to the shop and bought two pairs of Dekline's even though he gets whatever he wants for free from me anytime. I thought that was the coolest thing the kid could of done for us. That's real support! That's the love we need to make this small skateboarding shoe company work. Ben, we love you and I know you will find a good place my friend. I told Ben I would keep his name on our team list until he finds something that works for him. If any TM's are thinking of putting Ben on their team you should, he's mellow to hang with, he's a fucking ripper and has style for days. Ben, thank you for being a part of Dekline these past four years! I can't tell you how much I would like for you to still be on this tiny little skateboard team. Mike Sinclair 

so you kicked ben off bc the shop that helped kickstart his career and then helped him go pro doesnt carry your shitty shoes? thats sorry. there is a reason they cant sell your shoes, its bc they suck and nobody wants them. MIA is doing well, it wouldnt be that risky for them to carry Dekline. ben only rode for you guys bc of the paycheck. that much is obvious. if the MIA thing and the Stereo thing is the real reason, then that is a douchbag move Sinclair.

and honestly it only made sense for ben to leave stereo. that company is going nowhere fast. he skates with the magenta guys more than stereo guys, if he even ever did. plus magenta makes a way better product than stereo. i will be buying ben board bc he's probably gonna need the money.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
it's cool to see sinclair explain the whole ben gore thing.  personally, I believe Ben DID support Dekline.  While he may not be affiliated with a shop that carries the brand, like Sinclair said, he had more ads than anyone else.  And he gets A LOT of coverage in general, which keeps Dekline on people's minds.  AND what about all the other shops that Ben DOESN"T ride for that may have picked up Dekline, or sold more than they normally would have if Ben WASN'T getting so much coverage. 

I understand what Sinclair is saying, but I don't necessarily agree that it's the right thing to do.  Sometimes you need to weigh the pros and cons of a situation.  Drop Ben b/c of the MIA/SF shop thing, or keep him and have people buy Dekline bc they like to support Ben and his sponsors.  I guess its 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3349
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm vers
[close]

[close]

[close]

dude its a formula; (height x weight) + (body hair/ hair density) - seasons of darma and greg owned

Sheer genius.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2013, 09:44:04 AM »
Ben Gore seems like a good dude. I'm a fan of his skating and the 'Exposure' piece was well done. Just seems like a cat who gets it and is having fun. I think he's a great fit on Magenta, and I totally agree with what some others have said in this thread...Magenta will most likely do a lot more for Ben (exposure-wise) than Stereo. And I'll definitely buy his Magenta board.

EDIT: And speaking specifically to Sinclair's point about Stereo v Magenta: I would NEVER in one million years buy a Stereo board. I don't care who rode for them. I'd buy a Wet Willy board before I'd give one penny to Stereo.

As for Dekline, I tried a pair of the Harper and liked them. It wasn't a bad shoe at all, but as shitty as this is to admit I just couldn't get over the fact I was wearing a Dekline shoe so I moved on.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:55:10 PM by heritage »

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #173 on: July 12, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »
Quote from: D. Bag  link=topic=71421.msg1952281#msg1952281 date=1373603489
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm vers
[close]

[close]

[close]

Rock / Paper / Scissors, best 3 out of 5 gets first pick.

chemistry, or whoever is the most drunk...

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »
Just have to drop this here.

b.v.

« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
If one shop backing Dekilne keeps Ben on the team, then I'll start ordering them for mine.
That sounds like A suspect reason Sinclair. Pretty tough to expect A mellow guy like Ben to have that much pull in a shop in a city he doesn't even live in currently. Are you really trying to tell us EVERY team rider has a shop sponsor that primarily carries Dekline, and that somehow that is the main factor?
Much like Aaron Herrington being too old to get on Toymachine.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:16:45 PM by b.v. »

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
also its not like he just got on mia
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »
nothing suspect about his reasoning. typically guys local shops carry/supprt the brands that picks up the "home town hero" and he ran into a weird situation that wasnt helping the company.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #178 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
nothing suspect about his reasoning. typically guys local shops carry/supprt the brands that picks up the "home town hero" and he ran into a weird situation that wasnt helping the company.

agreed, but my point is that there may have been other shops in FL or wherever that picked up Dekline BECAUSE of Gore.  And there may be people that bought Dekline BECAUSE they wanted to support Ben.  And just because it doesn't go through MIA, doesn't mean that he's not helping to increase the brands visibility, and the desire for people to buy them.  So it seems odd to let him go from the team because of that.  But this is just my opinion.  I respect Sinclair for explaining the reasoning behind it.  Just not sure if I entirely agree with it. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

agreed, but my point is that there may have been other shops in FL or wherever that picked up Dekline BECAUSE of Gore.  And there may be people that bought Dekline BECAUSE they wanted to support Ben.  And just because it doesn't go through MIA, doesn't mean that he's not helping to increase the brands visibility, and the desire for people to buy them.  So it seems odd to let him go from the team because of that.  But this is just my opinion.  I respect Sinclair for explaining the reasoning behind it.  Just not sure if I entirely agree with it. 

i agree with you and understand the reasoning at the same time. i think the idea was that his presence in a city, MIA or SF, is supposed to help bring that brand to the limelight in that city. miami and SF have huge skate scenes and if his promotion of the brand isnt even working in the city he skates, it must be a sign of something more being the problem.