Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 60253 times)

The Titular sk8r boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Intellectual dishonesty seems to be progressive with most people replying in this thread. Is the next phase of this race?
White guy is now identifying as an Asian woman applying for a job at google. If people are afraid to say a man cannot have a baby, where does it end?
this thread is about a woman who beat another woman in a contest. did you mean to keep this shit to yourself or maybe yell it at a passing car?

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1419

If this is the man who is leading your crusade against wokeness, focus your whole life

GinosGroceries

Expand Quote
Intellectual dishonesty seems to be progressive with most people replying in this thread. Is the next phase of this race?
White guy is now identifying as an Asian woman applying for a job at google. If people are afraid to say a man cannot have a baby, where does it end?
[close]

Cool slippery slope
I triple dog dare you to humor him and answer the question.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
i guess it ends with some weeb working at google? shocking

dofrenzy

You literally posted the dictionary definition of a women in response to others. I don’t care about your story, it doesn’t mean your transphobic remarks just wash away. Fuck off

That was definitely a bad move on my part.  I am truly sorry for it.  I fucked up big time, and although I might say I wish I never did that, if I had avoided responding here I would not have the understanding I have now.  Many hours of my day have been consumed by thoughts about this thread, my own prejudices, my thinking, and my responses here. 

Closed minds need to be kicked open sometimes, and you all have definitely gotten through.  Not gonna pretend I am fully understanding yet but have plenty of food for thought.  I love LGBTQIA and don’t care what people are, I just thought I would chime in on “man and woman” thing and completely missed the big picture, and the process has brought out some buried prejudices in me that I don’t like to admit and may never have been uncovered if not for this thread.

If, after all of this, you truly want me to fuck off, please say so, and I will fuck off. I do feel like I am experiencing some consequences for my words but you and others may feel that there should be a more tangible consequence, and if you do feel that way just say so.  I don’t want to be here showing a clip of me doing an ollie (when I learn how I mean) if everybody is going to just see me as an anti-LGBTQIA.  I simply am not that, I don’t believe that at all, but I do believe I have some programming and learned behavior that needs adjusting.

Senrud

• Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Cool slippery slope
[close]

I know a bunch of men with babies. They're called fathers. Pretty cool people. I got one myself actually. I recommend them.

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 415
Expand Quote
I just put myself in the 1st place winners shoes and I am gutted.  I wish I had started with that.  I 100% support her and her peers.  I am one of those rational/logical people that wants everything to be zeroes and ones and I approached this topic with a dictionary.  When I took an emotional peek at not only the topic but also the person(s) involved, it made me sad about my position here.

I did quickly edit out my congratulations to Taylor but some folks picked up on it.

Congratulations to the person who was judged 1st place by the people at the actual event.  I just went to find that person’s name but evidently Taylor Silverman has been put in 1st place and there is only a 2nd placer, no 3rd.

I apologize, sincerely, if my statements offended anyone; I have been dealing with my own gender biases since my little sister came out as lesbian, ultimately becoming a trans man, and over literally decades I have been uncovering my own prejudices, bigotry, and frankly my complete lack of understanding.  I feel enlightened by this discussion and I feel like my mind is a little more open at least.
[close]

You literally posted the dictionary definition of a women in response to others. I don’t care about your story, it doesn’t mean your transphobic remarks just wash away. Fuck off

Come on, dude. Scorching people who are legitimately trying and are willing to put it out there in the spirit of getting somewhere on all this ? 

GinosGroceries

Expand Quote
[close]
this thread is about a woman who beat another woman in a contest. did you mean to keep this shit to yourself or maybe yell it at a passing car?

First off, this about a trans woman beating a cis woman.

The cis woman is upset that someone who was born with male qualities beat her in a contest that she felt should be for female born skateboarders.

If you believe trans woman are woman then cool. That’s what you believe. But the cis woman doesn’t see it that way. It shouldn’t be impossible for you to put yourself in her shoes and see things from her point of view.

A lot of people commenting on this are so concerned with not being viewed as transphobic that they don’t realize it is misogynistic to tell a ciswoman to “get better” to some one who is male born. That’s the type of rhetoric that was used against women before the 70s when cis women were trying to get equal distribution of funds in school sports.

There’s a lot of nuance to this situation and it’s disheartening to see very little recognition of that.

Second, this is a public forum where people can freely post their thoughts and questions… given that the mods don’t delete them.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084

If this is the man who is leading your crusade against wokeness, focus your whole life

Jesus that trick sucks
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

somefucker

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The cis woman is upset that someone who was born with male qualities beat her in a contest that she felt should be for female born skateboarders.

If you believe trans woman are woman then cool. That’s what you believe. But the cis woman doesn’t see it that way. It shouldn’t be impossible for you to put yourself in her shoes and see things from her point of view.

A lot of people commenting on this are so concerned with not being viewed as transphobic that they don’t realize it is misogynistic to tell a ciswoman to “get better” to some one who is male born. That’s the type of rhetoric that was used against women before the 70s when cis women were trying to get equal distribution of funds in school sports.

There’s a lot of nuance to this situation and it’s disheartening to see very little recognition of that.

Second, this is a public forum where people can freely post their thoughts and questions… given that the mods don’t delete them.

you reachin dawg

especially if she's entering contests, theres a standard she does not meet - why is that so hard for everyone to grasp?

ya'll should really be mad at whoever let her enter

edit: i was harsh
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 10:59:46 AM by somefucker »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
Inb4 some other low post buster who probably was talking shit on jessyka Bailey a month ago concern trolls about "female born skaters"

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just put myself in the 1st place winners shoes and I am gutted.  I wish I had started with that.  I 100% support her and her peers.  I am one of those rational/logical people that wants everything to be zeroes and ones and I approached this topic with a dictionary.  When I took an emotional peek at not only the topic but also the person(s) involved, it made me sad about my position here.

I did quickly edit out my congratulations to Taylor but some folks picked up on it.

Congratulations to the person who was judged 1st place by the people at the actual event.  I just went to find that person’s name but evidently Taylor Silverman has been put in 1st place and there is only a 2nd placer, no 3rd.

I apologize, sincerely, if my statements offended anyone; I have been dealing with my own gender biases since my little sister came out as lesbian, ultimately becoming a trans man, and over literally decades I have been uncovering my own prejudices, bigotry, and frankly my complete lack of understanding.  I feel enlightened by this discussion and I feel like my mind is a little more open at least.
[close]

[close]

Come on, dude. Scorching people who are legitimately trying and are willing to put it out there in the spirit of getting somewhere on all this ?

Oh sorry, next time I’ll bring out the red carpet.
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

IpathCats

+1 for open division contests.  That's equality right?

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
That was most definitely not very live laugh love of her.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

The Titular sk8r boi

• Rep: 3
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

there's not nuance here, there's willful ignorance of the actual biology of trans people and the effects that hormones have on someone's body. I absolutely believe it's very important to see things from someone else's perspective, but I draw the line where that perspective is to deny a trans person their basic humanity

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Fact is, the red bull comp divisions weren't "assigned male at birth" and "assigned female at birth"

It was mens and womens divisions. Any reasonable interpretation of that, especially after seeing the actual contestant list (for you slow ones out there), would lead you to realize that these divisions refer to gender. Not the same thing chromosome makeup/biological sex. Doesn't matter that she felt like it should be for "female born skateboarders" or whatever the fuck. Now her salty transphobic ass is sicking the entire right wing media machine on the poor girl who won by skating better

Maybe she should take notes from her knight in shining armour/irritating speed talker Ben Shapiro, facts dont care about your feelings lol

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
sooooo is it going to shift into open divisions or is each contest going to become specifically more sorted (shoe size division, calf size division, weight class, center of gravity division...) again, "cool slippery slope"
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
We all must be vigilant against the Rowley to jk Rowling pipeline. Sidewalk TERFing

passtheish

• Rep: 6
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i don't get how people are so confident with these topics and insensitive to people being confused, taking pause, questioning, etc... there's a lot of tricky things that will likely pop up. is it naive or wrong to ask what it means to be a woman in the context of these events? is there some type of definition or qualification or is it simply a matter of someone saying they are a woman when they register? wouldn't that leave open competing in different events as different sexes on different days? would it even be possible to identify as both a man and a woman and compete in both events on the same day. if being both sexes isn't a thing, why not? if someone says they are both who's to say they aren't. if competing at different events as different sexes on different days shouldn't be allowed, why not? do the organizers of the events have any say in these matters being the ones who are creating the categories or is the concept of male and female now essentially unregulated.

there's so many things that can pop up around these evolving understandings of gender and identity and i really don't get why people are being complete a holes about this in both directions. what happened to talking about things in rational ways.
[close]

If you are confused and seek answers to these questions, asking them in the middle of a heated discussion might not be the best move. Instead, contact an LGBTQ advocacy group in your area and see if they can help you. I would be interested to find out what your opinion is after talking to them.

In this particular case, however, there should be no confusion if you believe that trans women are women.
[close]

to be fair all he did is bring up some reasonable questions that nobody here has been able answer with out lashing out negatively and emotionally
[close]

That's my point. He won't get the answers he seeks here, especially since some of them are highly unlikely hypotheticals that aren't relevant to the topic at hand, which is that a woman complained about another women being better than her in a contest.

it's cause his questions are bad faith arguments that trans people and trans allys deal with all the time from... shocker ! TRANSPHOBES lol

deadmilkman

• Rep: -9
Based on some of the posts within this thread (I refuse to read 13 pages of this shit) some of you think that a trans woman competing against a female is fair play. I understand that this chick is a kook and I know she went about this situation with absolutely no grace. Regardless, I believe that it is unfair for somebody with the physical advantages of a man to compete against a woman.

passtheish

ok. so anyone who asks questions is driven by 'right wing outrage'

you realize how insane that is?

YES LOL that's why people react so "emotionally" to those questions , cause they are the same questions posed in bad faith by transphobes who are only trying to invalidate trans people . so when someone who maybe is more centrist or doesn't even know about the alt right use these sames bad faith arguments it's emotionally exhausting for trans people to continuously try to justify their existence over and over again. Trans people have a high suicide rate but it's greatly reduced if they have at least one friend or family member who is supportive, think about how insane that is

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
Based on some of the posts within this thread (I refuse to read 13 pages of this shit) some of you think that a trans woman competing against a female is fair play. I understand that this chick is a kook and I know she went about this situation with absolutely no grace. Regardless, I believe that it is unfair for somebody with the physical advantages of a man to compete against a woman.

thanks for your input, captain dipshit. Really shaking the landscape of these 13 pages

passtheish

Expand Quote
Would having a trans/gender fluid bracket that skaters could enter prevent all arguments here?
[close]

Expand Quote
Why not just separate contests based on sex and not gender? Anyways contest skating is reetarded . Who cares
[close]

Because to do so would further alienate trans athletes. Trans men are men. Trans women are women. And should be treated as such.

if fair and equal competition is the ACTUAL goal, than the solution is to separate competitions by weight , and not gender, then the BEST competitor wins, which btw is the Point of sports , someone wins others lose that's it

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 791
Expand Quote
[close]

thanks for your input, captain dipshit. Really shaking the landscape of these 13 pages

Great way to change someone's opinion. Dipshit.

passtheish

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Cool slippery slope
[close]

that white person would be seen as insane, especially since whiteness is a concept and race is more akin to culture, race is a concept introduced by WASPs but again that' is a BAD FAITH argument

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518

Don't be vague. What exact physical advantages did the winner of the comp have over this Taylor May?

diplodocus

• Rep: 154
  • long neck

read the thread you illiterate transphobe, there is a lot of good info here for you to change your clearly uninformed opinion

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Fuck this right wing self martyrdom.

I'm not a corpo contest follower (I'm all about local comps though, as they're more like family reunions out here).

The winner is a woman. There's no way around it. Hell, it looks like Taylorterf has more muscle mass than the winner... she simply skates like she's a beginner.

Also this 100%:
However you feel about this, one thing about skateboarding is we generally keep this shit in house , and have these discussion amongst ourselves. Corey Duffel N Word drama, Jason Jesse, Johan Stuckey, SF rape culture, etc. We kept that shit in house. Trying to reach out to right-wing outlets to bring unwarranted voices in the conversation from people who don’t know shit about skateboarding, don’t give a shit about skateboarding. and are arguing in bad faith is incredibly scummy behavior. This is shit that should get you permanently kooked in skateboarding, and any company that sponsors her after this should hold that L as well, but going by her shitty footage, I’m sure we don’t have to worry about her getting any legit sponsors.
...I'm a Twitter junkie, and right now there are threads from people who would normally call the fucking cops on us acting as if they're an authority on skateboarding.

Fuck Tim Pool. That bitch still owes me a plane ticket so I can beat his ass at a game of skate.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1973
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Great way to change someone's opinion. Dipshit.

I wasn't trying to change their opinion. I was insulting them. Do you need me to color a picture for you to understand?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh sorry, next time I’ll bring out the red carpet.

God damn dude, your reaction would be warranted if he dug his heels in and said nothing and didn’t express the desire to learn and change.

All that you are accomplishing by throwing a shit fit like this is trying to make yourself look and feel superior by dunking on someone who has expressly admitted they were wrong and wants to improve.

Not to mention, a member of the trans community has recognized that he is willing to change and learn; as well as commended his response and seen he has taken this lesson to heart.

Stop making this issue about yourself, and see it for what it is: an opportunity where someone who needed education was receptive to it. That’s a small W in this massive trainwreck.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.