Author Topic: Watches  (Read 46575 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Watches
« Reply #900 on: July 31, 2023, 11:40:12 PM »
What’s happening watch nerds? Any new purchases? I’ve flipped most of my collection recently and am now in “what Airking should I buy phase?”
The salmon 3,6,9 is so unique but how do you match it with your clothes?
The blue 3,6,9 seems like it would be the most versatile, but there’s an elusive grey colorway that I just can’t get out my head…
Also, 14000 vs 14000m vs old skool 5500, there’s just too many options …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #901 on: August 02, 2023, 02:30:17 AM »
Broph on fake Rolexes?

It’s not like he couldn’t afford a real one anyway…

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1419
« Reply #902 on: August 03, 2023, 09:00:18 AM »

Got this for my birthday but just replaced the sport strap with this lovely silver band. I love these seiko ladies divers

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #903 on: August 03, 2023, 08:24:51 PM »

Got this for my birthday but just replaced the sport strap with this lovely silver band. I love these seiko ladies divers
Great choice! Fits your wrist well and will be super reliable/ durable.
I think everyone needs at least one quartz in their collection

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #904 on: August 06, 2023, 12:18:52 PM »
Broph on fake Rolexes?

It’s not like he couldn’t afford a real one anyway…

It says suBerlative on the dial.
 what would that colourway be called…
 „the Heineken“??

Yet it‘s an obvious joke, briphy gets a pass.

Also i‘m looking for a travel/holiday watch

-under 38mm
-waterproof for swimming
-under 400 euros
-proper brand
-preferably automatic but quarz is fine too.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #905 on: August 07, 2023, 01:27:40 AM »
Seiko or Timex.

Solar is also worth considering....https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/promaster-tough-bn0118-12l.html

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #906 on: August 07, 2023, 05:34:03 AM »
Seiko or Timex.

Solar is also worth considering....https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/promaster-tough-bn0118-12l.html
yeah, what about those Seiko divers that got released a while back? 37 and 38mm from memory, I’ll try to dig up pics of them both… seems like Hamilton would also fit your bill with one of their many field watches,  though I don’t know how hard I’d hit the pool with one.
Edit:

Also, didn’t citizen just drop a mid-size eco-drive diver?
https://www.hodinkee.jp/articles/new-citizen-37mm-promaster-diver-collection
I think @pica doesn’t like divers though from memory?

Still contemplating an Airking … 3,6,9 dial or the
Standard one? Tritium that doesn’t flow anymore (but will patina) or the lumed up verison with the upgraded movement?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 03:00:09 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #907 on: August 07, 2023, 06:10:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Seiko or Timex.

[close]
yeah, what about those Seiko divers that got released a while back? 37 and 38mm from memory, I’ll try to dig up pics of them both… seems like Hamilton would also fit your bill with one of those field watches though I don’t know how hard I’d hit the pool with one.
Edit:

Standard one? Tritium that doesn’t flow anymore (but will patina) or the lumed up verison with the upgraded movement?
That seiko looks so cool. Nice to see tan accents on a watch that isn’t fauxtina for once.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #908 on: August 08, 2023, 02:54:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Seiko or Timex.

[close]
yeah, what about those Seiko divers that got released a while back? 37 and 38mm from memory, I’ll try to dig up pics of them both… seems like Hamilton would also fit your bill with one of their many field watches,  though I don’t know how hard I’d hit the pool with one.
Edit:

I‘d do a small diver… that SNE569 looks sick.
I keep looking at the new black bay 54 my AD would sell me one but i think i‘d rather wait 1-2 years i think they will be available cheaper aftermarket.

I have an airking 5500 and an explorer 36… i love the 3-6-9 dial… if you want the explorer vibe its a perfect watch.
 i think the regular dials are a lillte bit cheaper and easier avaliable. No need for the lume on a vintage watch.

My airking us from 1976, my cousin has a mid 90ies one (sapphire newer movement) his rotor broke last week, 550 euros straight. That can happen on any watch yet it scared me thinking how i treat mine (i wore it for swimming/biking… i guess if i have to fix anything on my older version it will be much more expensive)…

I dont know what year the 369 dials start.

Also i love the plexi on mine.

Yet i have to admit since i have the explorer i wear that  at least 4-5 days of the week. The airking gets much less wrist time.

I don‘t know… but i think if i had to choose i‘d go for the 3-6-9 — i just love that dial.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #909 on: August 09, 2023, 01:58:10 AM »
I‘d do a small diver… that SNE569 looks sick.
I keep looking at the new black bay 54 my AD would sell me one but i think i‘d rather wait 1-2 years i think they will be available cheaper aftermarket.

I have an airking 5500 and an explorer 36… i love the 3-6-9 dial… if you want the explorer vibe its a perfect watch.
 i think the regular dials are a lillte bit cheaper and easier avaliable. No need for the lume on a vintage watch.

My airking us from 1976, my cousin has a mid 90ies one (sapphire newer movement) his rotor broke last week, 550 euros straight. That can happen on any watch yet it scared me thinking how i treat mine (i wore it for swimming/biking… i guess if i have to fix anything on my older version it will be much more expensive)…

I dont know what year the 369 dials start.

Also i love the plexi on mine.

Yet i have to admit since i have the explorer i wear that  at least 4-5 days of the week. The airking gets much less wrist time.

I don‘t know… but i think if i had to choose i‘d go for the 3-6-9 — i just love that dial.
you should cop that seiko then!
yeah 5500 airkings are another option (and there is even the rare ones with mirror-finish explorer dial), I like the bracelets and drilled lug holes, domed acrylic etc. on the 5500, but much prefer the modern dial layout and handset of the 14000 if I'm being honest. 3,6,9 in blue was my grail for a long time, but certain pics of the salmon dial make it look really sexy and they grey non 3,6,9 dial looks magical to me, it's rare too so it will only go up in price.
nI think they first introduced the 14000 in the early 90s and then went with the 14000Ms from 2002 onwards? somewhere around there anyway. Funny, the 5500 is one of their longest running models and gets little to no love when compared to the sub and explorer. I'm not going to rush though, lots of them on the 2nd hand market here so I want to make sure I can get a full kit in mint condition, patina non-M version might be the way to go, but the Ms have the upgraded movement (3000 vs. 3300) and rolex etchings in the sapphire which is also pretty cool! Thanks for your advice though, will defs take into account

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #910 on: August 09, 2023, 03:12:54 PM »
….i did consider the 3/6/9 on the salmon dial when i was on the waiting list for the explorer, there was one at the watch shop where i bought the 5500.

But then i asked myself „am i sure i will still like it in 5-10 years?“

Then i stayed away from it.

They also had another 3/6/9 oyster 36 with pink index with a second dial (the harley davidson dial)…

« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 03:21:40 PM by pica »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #911 on: August 10, 2023, 03:52:09 AM »
@pica maybe you’re right, I guess if I get desperate for the salmon dial I can also buy just the dial and have it swapped out when getting a service? That’ll only happen if I don’t take it to RSC though. Black dial with pink markers does nothing for me, but I’m really going to sit with this one for a good minute, don’t want to rush it (like I usually do). Also on the hunt for a omega big crown Seamaster 60, but they are getting harder to find these days… pic below for reference:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 05:22:36 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #912 on: August 10, 2023, 07:04:22 PM »
Thrifted this little beauty this week - so hyped. It's an early 70's Tissot, 37mm fits me perfectly and I love the sunburst dial and red second hand. A watch geek friend is gonna help me tidy it up and I might grab an alternative strap if anyone has suggestions.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #913 on: August 10, 2023, 07:51:25 PM »
Thrifted this little beauty this week - so hyped. It's an early 70's Tissot, 37mm fits me perfectly and I love the sunburst dial and red second hand. A watch geek friend is gonna help me tidy it up and I might grab an alternative strap if anyone has suggestions.

perfect! I’d go for a tropic rubber strap on that one if you want it to be era correct. Bond nato would also work with the grey dial and red seconds hand.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #914 on: August 20, 2023, 04:25:08 AM »

I certainly wouldn’t knock back IWC as a sponsor!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #915 on: August 20, 2023, 01:25:09 PM »
Not a big watch person, but I recently lost my Nixon watch which I had for nearly two decades. It was some version of the Player, but I don't think it was the women's nor was it the full sized mens.

I've come to like this watch, but the price is absolutely absurd and I've heard that Cartier's don't hold their value like other fancy watch brands. And, even I could afford it, I think my wrist is too thin for something that is probably going to be huge.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: August 20, 2023, 04:58:23 PM »
Vintage Cartier tank will absolutely hold its value, might be too fragile if you want to do everything (I.e. skate, swim, exercise) in it though…
If you give me your wrist size and budget limitations, I could give you some ideas/ possible options?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #917 on: August 21, 2023, 12:11:28 AM »
Vintage Cartier tank will absolutely hold its value, might be too fragile if you want to do everything (I.e. skate, swim, exercise) in it though…
If you give me your wrist size and budget limitations, I could give you some ideas/ possible options?

I'll measure the wrist size, but small is def the correct size. I had the jr. Nixon Player and that was the perfect size.

I think I spent 120 - 150 on the Nixon watch in 2003. Depending on resale likelihood and how likely I feel like I'm going to get fired I could go crazy and spend 1K.

How much are you guys spending on watches? Does it feel weird to be walking around with that much money on your wrist?

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #918 on: August 21, 2023, 03:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll measure the wrist size, but small is def the correct size. I had the jr. Nixon Player and that was the perfect size.

I think I spent 120 - 150 on the Nixon watch in 2003. Depending on resale likelihood and how likely I feel like I'm going to get fired I could go crazy and spend 1K.

How much are you guys spending on watches? Does it feel weird to be walking around with that much money on your wrist?

I spend anywhere between 10 dollars on a casio up to 6k on my rolex. It doesnt feel weird at all, yet i don‘t take it on holidays and when i know i‘ll get hammerd at the bar it stays at home as well.

You get a lot of watches for 1k. The tissot prx automatic models go for something like 700…

If you look for something a little bit more dressy and like the bauhaus look there is a lot of NOMOS watches for around 1 k (club campus) as well as heaps of Junghans models (max bill for example).
Both look great on slim wrists

Also As always SEIKO (prospex, presage and above).
Maybe a vintage omega?

I would never buy a watch as an investment. Of course its nice if it holds its value but a watch is a tool made to be worn and used.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #919 on: August 23, 2023, 11:25:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I spend anywhere between 10 dollars on a casio up to 6k on my rolex. It doesnt feel weird at all, yet i don‘t take it on holidays and when i know i‘ll get hammerd at the bar it stays at home as well.

You get a lot of watches for 1k. The tissot prx automatic models go for something like 700…

If you look for something a little bit more dressy and like the bauhaus look there is a lot of NOMOS watches for around 1 k (club campus) as well as heaps of Junghans models (max bill for example).
Both look great on slim wrists

Also As always SEIKO (prospex, presage and above).
Maybe a vintage omega?

I would never buy a watch as an investment. Of course its nice if it holds its value but a watch is a tool made to be worn and used.

yeah, my most expensive watch is around 4.5k, but I live in a fairly safe country so I’m never worried about wearing it. Do I skate in it? Hell no, but I have different watches for different situations. If you’re a one watch guy there are also plenty of options though. Looks like your Nixon was square faced right (hence why you were looking at cartier)?
I’m not well versed with square-faced watches, but other than what pica recommended, I would also say add Sinn into that list, they are really tough/ well-specced watches in that price point. Vintage omega (think 60s Seamasters) are also great value too, but first I think we need to work out what style of watch you want…
If you want your watch to retain its value, or you want to purchase only as an investment, then Rolex is really one of the only brands where that will be a reality. Have I made money on watches that I’ve flipped over the years? Yes, but I’ve been lucky, if you break even after wearing a piece for certain amount of time, then you’re doing good. As Pica said, wear it, don’t worry about how much you’ll “make” if you flip it!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 05:47:16 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #920 on: August 24, 2023, 09:33:07 AM »
Thanks all good advice.

And, I think you are right the square faces do seem cooler to me. I didn't realize, but yea team square for sure.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #921 on: August 25, 2023, 06:01:33 AM »
Thanks all good advice.

And, I think you are right the square faces do seem cooler to me. I didn't realize, but yea team square for sure.
well I’m really not well versed in square watches but this is what springs to mind:
https://wornandwound.com/review/review-the-oris-rectangular/
This would probably be my first pick if I wanted a rectangle/ square watch and wasn’t going to buy a cartier. Oris is a solid brand too! I’m sure you could find one second hand or on the grey market for around your max budget.

Next I would look at the Longines dolce vita collection:
https://www.longines.com/en-us/watches/classic/elegance/dolcevita
Again, you should be able to find them on the grey market for around a grand and Longines has a great history/ legacy in the watch making world.

Have a look here too for other possible options:
https://watchranker.com/jaeger-lecoultre-reverso-alternative-watches-affordable-homage/
Brands/ prices are a bit all over the place though. At least with Oris or Longines it will be something than you can be proud of no matter where you are in your watch journey, personally I would avoid micro brands if this will be your only watch.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:16:25 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #922 on: August 25, 2023, 01:52:03 PM »
As for square watches… let me add

the NOMOS tetra

The TAG heuer Monaco

The cartier santos… i know you eyed a cartier in the first place… its more affordable than you might think… vintage quarz versions start at 3k

ghost of barry white

• Rep: 5
« Reply #923 on: August 25, 2023, 02:33:19 PM »
Watch gods I ask your advice. Thoughts on the Orient Ray ii? Appearance wise it’s exactly what I’m looking for. But I would most likely switch out the bracelet for a nato or leather band for a everyday / sporty look.

https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/sport/faa02005d9/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoqGnBhAcEiwAwK-OkXF0ZUS3Pzxky4hlIFQWrbAG97ov9vxphBBrFMv5Q1GpNdtoMZcikhoCWKcQAvD_BwE

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #924 on: August 25, 2023, 03:34:37 PM »
Watch gods I ask your advice. Thoughts on the Orient Ray ii? Appearance wise it’s exactly what I’m looking for. But I would most likely switch out the bracelet for a nato or leather band for a everyday / sporty look.

https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/sport/faa02005d9/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoqGnBhAcEiwAwK-OkXF0ZUS3Pzxky4hlIFQWrbAG97ov9vxphBBrFMv5Q1GpNdtoMZcikhoCWKcQAvD_BwE
Great watch, yes get it in blue and yes the bracelet sucks! Lot of bang for your buck, you’ll love it!
Can I also suggest a citizen NY0040 in blue sunburst if you’re not going wear it on a bracelet anyway? The orient is fairly dressy for a diver whereas the citizen is more tool-ish. Depends on your taste/ wrist size but I think the citizen also has better proportions. Either way, you’re winning though!

And yes to the Nomos suggestion from @pica, there’s a reason why he always talk up that brand!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:19:50 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #925 on: August 27, 2023, 10:53:46 PM »
I’ve literally got the money in the bank for an Airking and yet here I am getting tempted by OG Seiko 62mas or the new limited edition reissue …

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #926 on: August 29, 2023, 05:15:22 PM »

That is the one I have.  Bought it 2 years ago, no complaints.  However, at the time it was only $120 on Amazon.  I got it with the rubber strap.  Foolishly I waited for it to brake in.  12 months later I just replaced it.  Still pleased, wear it everyday. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #927 on: August 30, 2023, 09:44:39 AM »
Anyone know what citizen is this? The price is insanely cheap for a everyday beater and maybe this gonna be my first entry to the watches world (gonna ditch this strap for a nice one)

:p

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
« Reply #928 on: August 30, 2023, 07:19:41 PM »
Just nabbed myself this for myself as a birthday present. Paid resell ($40 over retail), but still, $300 ain’t bad. Might lose the velcro and put on a nylon band  instead.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #929 on: August 30, 2023, 11:51:27 PM »
Anyone know what citizen is this? The price is insanely cheap for a everyday beater and maybe this gonna be my first entry to the watches world (gonna ditch this strap for a nice one)

no idea, it looks late 80s/ early 90s. Is it quartz? What is insanely cheap?

@TastyBurrito congrats on the moons watch, I’d go khaki coloured nato on that one, or maybe even a bind strap if you want to colourway coordinate?