Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 366606 times)

In A Jar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4680 on: August 31, 2023, 07:16:27 AM »
Forged Ventures without the big washer is where it's at.  Lowers them a bit, pulls in the wheelbase and makes them a little surfier. 

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4681 on: August 31, 2023, 07:39:40 AM »
Forged Ventures without the big washer is where it's at.  Lowers them a bit, pulls in the wheelbase and makes them a little surfier.
forged plates extends the wb more than cast plates
Cast - +3.25"
Forged - +3.4" - 3.5"

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0
Hasn't been updated in a while this has been my go-to for WBs on trucks for years.

In A Jar

« Reply #4682 on: August 31, 2023, 07:44:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
forged plates extends the wb more than cast plates
Expand Quote
Cast - +3.25"
Forged - +3.4" - 3.5"

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0
Hasn't been updated in a while this has been my go-to for WBs on trucks for years.
[close]

Hence why I take off the big washer to pull it in which results in similar wheelbase to cast. 

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4683 on: August 31, 2023, 07:46:34 AM »
ahh gotcha. aren't you worried that you're messing with the geometry and breaking down the pivot cups prematurely?

In A Jar

« Reply #4684 on: August 31, 2023, 07:56:57 AM »
ahh gotcha. aren't you worried that you're messing with the geometry and breaking down the pivot cups prematurely?

I haven't noticed any problems and I think they turn better.  Well maybe the pivot cup gets a little squeaky but I just put wax in it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4685 on: August 31, 2023, 09:18:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't noticed any problems and I think they turn better.  Well maybe the pivot cup gets a little squeaky but I just put wax in it.

Never thought a metal washer would have that big an impact on the wheelbase, I'm not Venturing (!) down the bushing rabbit hole.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4686 on: August 31, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »
I tried Forged on a 14.38 deck I normally ride Thunder cast on and actually really like that combo. They have a lighter pop and the good Venture snap. I didn't measure WB because in my experience that isn't causal to what I like. Forged Indy and Thunder cast are the same WB but pop very different.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4687 on: August 31, 2023, 09:48:11 AM »
I tried Forged on a 14.38 deck I normally ride Thunder cast on and actually really like that combo. They have a lighter pop and the good Venture snap. I didn't measure WB because in my experience that isn't causal to what I like. Forged Indy and Thunder cast are the same WB but pop very different.

I had some cast hollows on the Quasi 8.25 with the 14.38 wb and they paired up perfectly.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #4688 on: August 31, 2023, 04:37:45 PM »

good point, effective wb is not the whole
story.

thunder hi’s have always given me good to great pop, and predictably so.

venture hi’s i’ve struggled with. ventures lo’s are the best.
i need to give forged ventures some more tries. if i got the hi’s to work, i could just quit looking for trucks.

rikki

• Rep: 307
« Reply #4689 on: September 01, 2023, 02:51:35 AM »
Pulled the trigger on the 5.6 forged Hi's (V-Lights), gonna be innaresting. Currently on Indy 144 Forged Titaniums. My pop comes and goes and is not consistent enough these days, it's of course mostly up to the rider but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Ventures treat my pop.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #4690 on: September 01, 2023, 07:42:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Hit axle today on my back truck! I've been skating them for about six months. I've rotated them once. They went thru four decks and two sets of wheels. I don't see them making past this current deck, today was the first session with it.

I skate standard 6.1s with loose conversion bushings from day one. The gold baseplates are from Venue Skateboard's Venture collab. I bought some 5.2s and swapped the baseplates with the silver from the 6.1s.

I LOVE them. They took a lil getting used to, coming from a lifelong Indy and Ace rider, but once I got used to the turning and wheelbase, I fell in love.

The baseplate is my favorite part. It's HUGE. I love the fact that I have grooves on the inside of my baseplates.

The bushings are fucking awesome too. They don't freeze up in the cold, they make your trucks feel super loose, and they create grind clearance. I'm still barely grinding on the nut or kingpin. Definitely worth the extra $8. I hope they release them in more colors.

I can't wait to expose the axel more. It's motivating me right now to skate as much as much as possible.
[close]

One month update:
-I rotated my trucks one last time & Both Axels are totally exposed
-Loose conversion bushings shredded the excess naturally, making the turn and pinch even better
-Still have minimal kingpin interference on every grinds other than feebles

When I first saw the pics I was like are those the fucking Hokie footprints? Update confirmed it. Are you in Blacksburg now? That’s one of my favorite places in the world, graduated and stayed almost another 4 years. I was barely skating back then though. And good work on the trucks.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #4691 on: September 01, 2023, 07:56:39 AM »
i remember reading about the 6.1s having a different geometry than other ventures.  does anyone have info on that?

runespliffberg

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4692 on: September 01, 2023, 12:50:13 PM »

Another update. Threw the stock bushings and bottom washer back in, and changed the top washer to a flat bones one. Definitely resolved most of my issues with the Ventures. They turn much deeper now, since the top washer isn’t binding anymore. Haven’t gotten any grinds in yet, just been skating flatground behind my job on lunch break for the past week, tinkering with them every other day. Gonna ride these out for a month or two, then switch back to Thunder and see how I like them in comparison after I’ve adjusted to the Ventures. Lowkey hyped on them now, haven’t had non-plain silver trucks since I was a kid.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4693 on: September 01, 2023, 03:40:35 PM »
i remember reading about the 6.1s having a different geometry than other ventures.  does anyone have info on that?

Not that I could feel on the various sets I have, but I don't ride them as my main truck, so it doesn't really count for me I guess.

I have 5.6, 5.8 and 6.1 on boards, all run stock everything, all second hand from others, but they still skate exactly as I would expect from Venture trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4694 on: September 01, 2023, 05:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not that I could feel on the various sets I have, but I don't ride them as my main truck, so it doesn't really count for me I guess.

I have 5.6, 5.8 and 6.1 on boards, all run stock everything, all second hand from others, but they still skate exactly as I would expect from Venture trucks.

if i remember, the word was that the 6.1s extend the effective wb a little bit less than the other sizes of ventures. i haven’t had them, nor ridden them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4695 on: September 01, 2023, 08:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

if i remember, the word was that the 6.1s extend the effective wb a little bit less than the other sizes of ventures. i haven’t had them, nor ridden them.

That would make sense then.

They did feel more comfortable than I would have thought on a decently big board, which had a longer wheelbase than the not so big boards I usually ride - the two setups they are on being 6.1 trucks on an 8.8 with about a 14.6 wb, compared to 5.8 on an 8.38 with 14.38 which I have them on now, or even DLX 8.5 with 14.25 wb when I put the 5.8s on a blue eagle just to see what they felt like.

I should get that board back out and put the 6.1s on a white eagle 8.75 and just see, as I have been skating a few of those recently on Indys.  Always helps to compare something I am used to with something else I know is different specs, wood, etc.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4696 on: September 02, 2023, 12:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They did feel more comfortable than I would have thought on a decently big board, which had a longer wheelbase than the not so big boards I usually ride - the two setups they are on being 6.1 trucks on an 8.8 with about a 14.6 wb, compared to 5.8 on an 8.38 with 14.38 which I have them on now, or even DLX 8.5 with 14.25 wb when I put the 5.8s on a blue eagle just to see what they felt like.

I should get that board back out and put the 6.1s on a white eagle 8.75 and just see, as I have been skating a few of those recently on Indys.  Always helps to compare something I am used to with something else I know is different specs, wood, etc.
6.1 cast: +3.125
forged: +3.25

source: the only trucks i ride
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Schinken

• Rep: 71
« Reply #4697 on: September 03, 2023, 02:54:06 AM »
Any idea if the reduction of wheelbase comes from hanger or baseplate?

Some months ago I've bought some 5.8 v lights and I didn't like their feel on longer wheelbase decks compared to my 6.1s.
I thought it's due to the narrower trucks but maybe it's because the 5.8s increase the wheelbase much more

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #4698 on: September 03, 2023, 03:09:54 AM »

Some months ago I've bought some 5.8 v lights and I didn't like their feel on longer wheelbase decks compared to my 6.1s.
I thought it's due to the narrower trucks but maybe it's because the 5.8s increase the wheelbase much more

if you have cast plates on the 6.1s, that makes sense. The cast plates dont extend the wheelbase quite as much as the forged plates on the vlights.

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4699 on: September 03, 2023, 06:01:17 AM »
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a long time. Been on ventures recently and enjoying the differences from aces and thunders.

However, the top bushing is just getting blown out right away.

On my 2nd set of bushings after only a few weeks riding these 5.2. I thought upgrading to thunder aftermarket 100a top bushings would be more resilient. Wrong!

Anyone got a recommendation for more appropriate replacements, or will I just need to spend another $10 every 2 weeks on new bushings?

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #4700 on: September 03, 2023, 07:00:59 AM »
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a long time. Been on ventures recently and enjoying the differences from aces and thunders.

On my 2nd set of bushings after only a few weeks riding these 5.2. I thought upgrading to thunder aftermarket 100a top bushings would be more resilient. Wrong!

Anyone got a recommendation for more appropriate replacements, or will I just need to spend another $10 every 2 weeks on new bushings?

I have this problem as well, for what my experience is worth try doh doh’s. I’m running the yellow 92a with stock washers and they seem to be lasting the longest for me. I’ve tried just about everything and these by far are the best so far

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4701 on: September 03, 2023, 07:08:32 AM »

I had Indy blue top but the bottom just blew so now I’m on Indy blue 92 and they felt okay. Little stiffer feeling than stock while not having to show as many threads. But I’m sure they’ll loosen up some once the bottoms break in.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4702 on: September 03, 2023, 07:58:05 AM »

i think it’s gotta be the hanger: venture uses the same baseplate for the hi’s and the lo’s, i can’t imagine they have a 6.1 specific baseplate.

interesting that some of you are having bushing problems, i’ve got venture bushings from 2006 ish, doing just fine. granted, most of my venture bushings come from lo’s, that are not articulating as much as a hi would, so maybe that’s it

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4703 on: September 03, 2023, 08:57:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have this problem as well, for what my experience is worth try doh doh’s. I’m running the yellow 92a with stock washers and they seem to be lasting the longest for me. I’ve tried just about everything and these by far are the best so far

indy 90a with flat washer, stock washer is too small

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4704 on: September 03, 2023, 11:39:58 AM »
Ya this is a Venture and Thunder problem due to the top washer pinching the bushing and the bushings sucking. On Thunders it happens a bit slower but always does.

For Venture the Supercush seem to last slightly longer, but I'd just find something cheap that is similar duro and try the top washer mod.

Personally I just emailed DLX and they sent me 4 sets of stock bushings.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #4705 on: September 03, 2023, 01:53:32 PM »
just stop riding ventures lol

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4706 on: September 03, 2023, 02:15:54 PM »
just stop riding ventures lol

spazzing

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4707 on: September 03, 2023, 03:06:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had Indy blue top but the bottom just blew so now I’m on Indy blue 92 and they felt okay. Little stiffer feeling than stock while not having to show as many threads. But I’m sure they’ll loosen up some once the bottoms break in.

Well after today the blue Indy 92 set seemed too stiff for me. So I’m either gonna out a flat washer on the bottom barrel or would I need the top conical to be a flat washer? If that’s what it needs? I want the stability but more turn. The stock bushings kinda gave me that. But they cracked on me and started getting less stable at center.  I put Royal bottoms in and they are taller than the venture bottoms. They feel good but are definitely taller.

Ace bushings? I have some 92a indy conical bushings laying around?  Any recommendations?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4708 on: September 03, 2023, 06:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for that!

As I posted in another thread:

I just set up an 8.75 Polar board with 14.375 wb on the basic Venture 6.1 trucks and the thing actually feels way more fun than I would have thought.  Had the trucks on something else before that, which just wasn't doing it for me, but I thought I should mix it up and see how it goes.  All second hand / used parts, just figuring out what works and what doesn't work.

Other longer wb boards also feel ok with these trucks too, like the DLX 8.75 shape / white eagle which has 14.62 wb, but I prefer the more mellow / less steep kicks on anything I ride which might have helped it work for me on my mellow boards too.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4709 on: September 03, 2023, 06:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for that!

As I posted in another thread:

I just set up an 8.75 Polar board with 14.375 wb on the basic Venture 6.1 trucks and the thing actually feels way more fun than I would have thought.  Had the trucks on something else before that, which just wasn't doing it for me, but I thought I should mix it up and see how it goes.  All second hand / used parts, just figuring out what works and what doesn't work.

Other longer wb boards also feel ok with these trucks too, like the DLX 8.75 shape / white eagle which has 14.62 wb, but I prefer the more mellow / less steep kicks on anything I ride which might have helped it work for me on my mellow boards too.

i don’t skate big boards, but 6.1s with the loose trucks bushing kit sound like a lot of fun