Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364406 times)

scab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5160 on: November 15, 2023, 01:51:43 AM »
Which makes me wonder how come I can't get short boards and Ventures to work...

Have you had good experiences with _any_ short boards? As a fellow tall dude I've given up on boards under 32", they don't work for me outside of some very contained use cases, regardless of trucks.

In Venture specific news, I'm happy to report I'm back on the purple stock bushings. Messed around with the loose trucks conversion kit for what turned out to be much too long. Virtually all my tricks are more consistent and popped higher on the stock bushings run flush. I'm mainly posting this to keep my ass accountable if I get the urge to fuck around with bushings again.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #5161 on: November 15, 2023, 02:01:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you had good experiences with _any_ short boards? As a fellow tall dude I've given up on boards under 32", they don't work for me outside of some very contained use cases, regardless of trucks.

In Venture specific news, I'm happy to report I'm back on the purple stock bushings. Messed around with the loose trucks conversion kit for what turned out to be much too long. Virtually all my tricks are more consistent and popped higher on the stock bushings run flush. I'm mainly posting this to keep my ass accountable if I get the urge to fuck around with bushings again.

Yes. All hail the stock purples.

rikki

« Reply #5162 on: November 15, 2023, 05:31:38 AM »
Anyone dig Polar shapes with Ventures? For me they feel like a good match.

lildonut92

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5163 on: November 15, 2023, 05:45:19 AM »
Venture Lo heads, what decks do you find pair well with them?

I’m on a Real full se 8.06. (31.5 x 14 wb) And the pop feel is so bad. I can’t figure out if I got a dud or what. The board will just not suck up to my feet no matter what. Everything just feels too immediate.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #5164 on: November 15, 2023, 05:47:07 AM »
Just converted to Ventures for my popsicle boards and absolutely love them. The big boys and football shapes still get Indys.

I’m running the Skate Jawn 5.6 V Cast. Curious what the different bushing colors mean. The Skate Jawn bushings are red, but I’ve seen white and purple as well. Does it indicate hardness like Indys or is it just different colors?

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #5165 on: November 15, 2023, 05:54:03 AM »
Just converted to Ventures for my popsicle boards and absolutely love them. The big boys and football shapes still get Indys.

I’m running the Skate Jawn 5.6 V Cast. Curious what the different bushing colors mean. The Skate Jawn bushings are red, but I’ve seen white and purple as well. Does it indicate hardness like Indys or is it just different colors?

Expand Quote
Bushing colors doesn’t matter right for ventures ? All the same durometer ?
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's the duro of the stock purples? I keep finding contradictory info online.
[close]
all stock bushings are 90A regardless of color
[close]

petition to change the thread title to "Venture 2020: all stock bushings are 90A regardless of color"

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -769
« Reply #5166 on: November 15, 2023, 05:54:34 AM »
 What is the lightest Thunder and how much lighter is it than the hollow Venture highs
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5167 on: November 15, 2023, 06:08:48 AM »
im riding the 9.0 popsicle with 6.1 hollows, feels real right
gonna run this indefinitely and focus on consistency

dane1 with the same trucks was a fun time
but short boards no longer suit my skating

what you got setup?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5168 on: November 15, 2023, 06:16:44 AM »
What is the lightest Thunder and how much lighter is it than the hollow Venture highs
be more specific with the size to get a real answer
thunder smallest size is 143 (7.125 axle)
the narrowest venture is 5.0 (7.63 axle)
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rikki

« Reply #5169 on: November 15, 2023, 06:29:41 AM »

I’m on a Real full se 8.06. (31.5 x 14 wb) And the pop feel is so bad. I can’t figure out if I got a dud or what. The board will just not suck up to my feet no matter what. Everything just feels too immediate.

Try a longer deck with a longer wheelbase? I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with a close to 32 x 14.25 wb deck.

rikki

« Reply #5170 on: November 15, 2023, 06:31:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
im riding the 9.0 popsicle with 6.1 hollows, feels real right
gonna run this indefinitely and focus on consistency

dane1 with the same trucks was a fun time
but short boards no longer suit my skating

what you got setup?

Good to hear man. I'm currently running a 8.125 x 32 x 14.25 popsicle with 5.6 V-Lights. There's something there. Anything shorter (especially wb-wise) feels off.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5171 on: November 15, 2023, 06:46:01 AM »
https://youtu.be/MlGyiia_uYY?si=pFKktOhvelPLqmFw

Schoolyard skating just looks so good with Lows

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5172 on: November 15, 2023, 07:20:53 AM »
https://youtu.be/MlGyiia_uYY?si=pFKktOhvelPLqmFw

Schoolyard skating just looks so good with Lows

pretty sure he’s on thunders in that part. fuck i love trilogy.

your comment that lo’s and schoolyard skating goes together holds true.

as to ventures and decks. i’ve got a krooked truefit i can’t skate with any trucks.
other than that i usually ride a ps stix 8.125 (trying to ride a bigger board than this, we’ll see).
with lo’s i can generally adjust to whatever deck, with the forged plate hi’s i’m finding them pretty agreeable to most decks. sometimes i need to play around with the wheel height.
short answer: flat ps stix boards.
boards that i want to try them with: 8.38 eagle/dreamer shape, that limosine 9”, the polar 9”

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #5173 on: November 15, 2023, 07:56:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bushing colors doesn’t matter right for ventures ? All the same durometer ?
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's the duro of the stock purples? I keep finding contradictory info online.
[close]
all stock bushings are 90A regardless of color
[close]

petition to change the thread title to "Venture 2020: all stock bushings are 90A regardless of color"
[close]

Thank you! I guess I could have searched the thread. Much appreciated.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5174 on: November 15, 2023, 09:40:52 AM »

Skated couple boards that were g008 shape (31.85 & 14.25) and pop was okay. Flatground was really on point. Next board is 31.3 & 14 just to try out shorter board for change. Yet to skate it but maybe next week i have something to report.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -769
« Reply #5175 on: November 15, 2023, 12:21:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
be more specific with the size to get a real answer
thunder smallest size is 143 (7.125 axle)
the narrowest venture is 5.0 (7.63 axle)

Venture 5.2 high
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #5176 on: November 15, 2023, 12:58:37 PM »
the lightest thunder is noticeably lighter than the lightest Venture.....that said, the venture is easily light enough....

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #5177 on: November 15, 2023, 08:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes. All hail the stock purples.

Where do you buy the stock purples?  Can’t seem to find any online

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5178 on: November 15, 2023, 11:34:53 PM »
The only way to get stock bushings is to have a proper defect and get them warrantied. It sucks because DLX could easily sell them as they do for Thunder.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5179 on: November 16, 2023, 08:06:30 AM »
The only way to get stock bushings is to have a proper defect and get them warrantied. It sucks because DLX could easily sell them as they do for Thunder.

they come free in every set of venture brand skateboarding trucksTM

manuduncan

« Reply #5180 on: November 16, 2023, 08:41:52 AM »
lmao damn that sucks, trucks last me like over a year but bushings several months

i have some spare ace hard bushings laying around i'll pop those in and report back i suppose

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
« Reply #5181 on: November 16, 2023, 12:44:22 PM »

I'm about to make the dive from Thunder to Venture so I've been looking at this stuff already.
My front and back nose slides are fine but my front and back tails always scrrrt and half the time I get bucked off the ledge. I'm sure my form is partially to blame, but I want to try a different truck to see how much the baseplate issue is messing me up (if at all)

According to Tactics...

Jesus, if this is accurate the 8.75 Thunder is lighter than the 7.6 Venture.
That's kinda making me rethink this experiment...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5182 on: November 16, 2023, 12:51:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm about to make the dive from Thunder to Venture so I've been looking at this stuff already.
My front and back nose slides are fine but my front and back tails always scrrrt and half the time I get bucked off the ledge. I'm sure my form is partially to blame, but I want to try a different truck to see how much the baseplate issue is messing me up (if at all)

According to Tactics...

it’s dope that you shared the tactics info.
for a more apples to apples comparison, you would want to compare the venture v-lights to the thunder lights, not the hollow lights. thunder hollow lights: forged plate, hollow kingpin, AND hollow axle. venture v-lights: forged plate, hollow kingpin, solid axle.
for what it is worth, i’ve been a big forged plate hater. somehow that has completely reversed, i now prefer forged plates, but also prefer the solid axle. feels better when i grind (which is pretty rare and really crappy. but that’s my feeling).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5183 on: November 16, 2023, 05:39:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

According to Tactics...

[close]

it’s dope that you shared the tactics info.
for a more apples to apples comparison, you would want to compare the venture v-lights to the thunder lights, not the hollow lights. thunder hollow lights: forged plate, hollow kingpin, AND hollow axle. venture v-lights: forged plate, hollow kingpin, solid axle.
for what it is worth, i’ve been a big forged plate hater. somehow that has completely reversed, i now prefer forged plates, but also prefer the solid axle. feels better when i grind (which is pretty rare and really crappy. but that’s my feeling).

My quick math and guesstimate from years of stressing over truck weight is that Thunder is around 5-10% lighter than a comparable Venture. Off Tactics:

Venture 5.2 HI V-Hollow - 323.8g
Thunder 147 Hollow Lights - 300.9g

Venture 5.6 V-Hollow - 333.2g
Thunder 148 Hollow Light - 324g

Works out to around 2.89 - 7.61% difference in the above examples. More than percentage points on weight I found the heft and pop feel of a board is influenced less by grams and more about how much they shift the wheelbase. And IMO weight starts becoming more pronounced above 8.25 truck sizes, those 8.5 trucks start feeling heavy but you could adapt to it over a few sessions.

Ben's summary of truck weight is helpful here.

Also I haven't ridden Thunders in close to 2 years, been on the Venture program and (almost) no thoughts of switching.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5184 on: November 18, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »
that venture v-light restock would be nice

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #5185 on: November 18, 2023, 10:37:47 AM »
I like a heavier heftier feeling truck personally.

I just switched from team A to V  ;D

Enjoying the pop, and pleasantly surprised the turn isn’t nearly as bad as I remember. I feel like Venture has either improved, or my friends were straight cranking their trucks down back in the day.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

rikki

« Reply #5186 on: November 19, 2023, 12:43:32 AM »

Enjoying the pop, and pleasantly surprised the turn isn’t nearly as bad as I remember. I feel like Venture has either improved, or my friends were straight cranking their trucks down back in the day.

Yeah I think the "Ventures don't turn" narrative is just that, a narrative that's blown out of proportions and is probably mostly kept alive by people who don't actually even skate Ventures. I skate them on transition no problem. The turn is actually kind of big-wave surfy and balanced for sizeable transition lines. One can lean on the turn and not dip out too easily.

I mean, if I skated only transition, I'd probably choose Indy or Ace, but for an all-around truck, Venture is just as good as any.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #5187 on: November 19, 2023, 04:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I think the "Ventures don't turn" narrative is just that, a narrative that's blown out of proportions and is probably mostly kept alive by people who don't actually even skate Ventures. I skate them on transition no problem. The turn is actually kind of big-wave surfy and balanced for sizeable transition lines. One can lean on the turn and not dip out too easily.

I mean, if I skated only transition, I'd probably choose Indy or Ace, but for an all-around truck, Venture is just as good as any.

Agreed, I felt kind of silly I was hanging onto some sort of false judgement I’ve held for a couple of decades.

The turn is honestly fantastic.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

WelcomeToHell

« Reply #5188 on: November 19, 2023, 05:00:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed, I felt kind of silly I was hanging onto some sort of false judgement I’ve held for a couple of decades.

Same. I came from nearly 3 decades of Indy use and I love the way Ventures turn. It’s just different. They’re not super twitchy when you lean going fast or come off a ledge squirrely, but they turn just fine and I can ride them a lot looser than Indys.

nopopnostyle

« Reply #5189 on: November 19, 2023, 07:19:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Same. I came from nearly 3 decades of Indy use and I love the way Ventures turn. It’s just different. They’re not super twitchy when you lean going fast or come off a ledge squirrely, but they turn just fine and I can ride them a lot looser than Indys.

Same here, after 34 years on Indy I am happy to state that I feel Awake.
In my years I've had several cases of "Truck-Madness" and always came back to Indy. This time I couldn't come back though 'cause I just couldn't get them to feel right anymore. And believe me I've tried, spent a fortune on different Indy-Variations and bushings but to no avail. Stepped on a friends board and decided to try for myself. Bought a set of Ted Barrow 5.8 V-Cast Hollows in July and really love it every time I step on my setup.
I also feel that Ventures either improved or that I was just too preoccupied by the "they don't turn narrative".