Author Topic: Independent trucks and racist ideology  (Read 98580 times)

TONYMONTANA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -42
Re: Independent trucks and racist ideology
« Reply #360 on: June 08, 2020, 02:51:16 PM »
A bit late to the game.

bump too fuckin late man

SAH ALL DAY

« Reply #361 on: June 08, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »

TONYMONTANA.

• Rep: -43
« Reply #362 on: June 08, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »
Independent could have Mickey mouse as their logo and still be whack

Free Max B

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 109
« Reply #363 on: June 08, 2020, 03:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anybody else  think that Red Baron pizza should change its mascot? I always (okay, since high school) wondered about the connotations with that one. Those iron crosses were on his plane.
[close]

They could probably change it to Ernst Jünger's Storm of Steel Stuffcrust, but trench warfare isn't quite as sexy as dogfighting in a biplane.

it was a fucking triplane asshole

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #364 on: June 08, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
from the creator of the logo

Jim Phillips says in his 2007 book "The Art of Jim Phillips":

"...I began toying with the iron, or Maltese cross which was long dead as the old 60s surfer's cross, and even longer dead as the biker's cross. I used a beam compass to make it into a round shape, which looked completely different than the old square iron crosses... I took my idea into the NHS office the next morning and it went on the wall as usual. Jay and Rich each stared at it for a while, and they both thought that it looked a little too "Nazi". My sketches were rejected and I was sent back to the drawing board. I went back to my studio determined to use it, knowing it was the one. I searched my archives and scrap file for some justification for using the symbol. I found a firefighter's logo, symbols on the knights and Columbus sails. Then in my scrap file, under the letter P, I found a Time magazine cover of Pope John Paul from the June 18, 1979 edition. It was amazing; there was a cross on his vestments almost the way I designed mine. I marched into the office the next morning with the magazine to show what I thought was proof of acceptability. They both looked at each other and said, 'Well, if the Pope has it, it must be okay!' That was that, and the Independent cross was born."

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #365 on: June 08, 2020, 05:43:00 PM »
Looks like they’re changing the logo based off their latest insta post.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #366 on: June 08, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »
This got me thinking, as the other day Ed Templeton posted photos from a pro-trump rally and one of the marchers was wearing an Independent jacket.  To non-skaters, does the Indy cross come across as a racist symbol?  Would you wear an Indy shirt in Trump's America?  The Manolo/Ben K thread made some points, like don't look like a nazi if you don't want to be lumped in with nazi's.  Does the same hold true for Indy gear?  Yes, it's a different cross, but still... Curious to hear the Pal's thoughts.

I thought the Manolo/ Strobeck thread made a better point about how nollie flipping a trash can straight is harder than doing it with a little shifty to give you a few extra inches of clearance. Tyshawn shouldn’t have been SOTY for that, and I think Strobeck was projecting when he said that Manolo jerks off to pictures of his ex girlfriend and wishes they could get back together. Fat Bill, if you’re reading this you should leave that bitch in the past, it’s not your fault you realized you’ve already peaked when it comes to attractiveness of bitches that you can pull, and sure the new ones won’t be as hot as that girl you beat your smegma covered dick to but that’s how life works sometimes. Maybe join a gym and stop talking to girls who haven’t finished high school yet, that’d be a start.

Edit: the iron cross isn’t racist, you’re overthinking things, and the monster under the bed won’t eat you (I promise 🤞🏻)
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #367 on: June 08, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
This got me thinking, as the other day Ed Templeton posted photos from a pro-trump rally and one of the marchers was wearing an Independent jacket.  To non-skaters, does the Indy cross come across as a racist symbol?  Would you wear an Indy shirt in Trump's America?  The Manolo/Ben K thread made some points, like don't look like a nazi if you don't want to be lumped in with nazi's.  Does the same hold true for Indy gear?  Yes, it's a different cross, but still... Curious to hear the Pal's thoughts.
[close]

I thought the Manolo/ Strobeck thread made a better point about how nollie flipping a trash can straight is harder than doing it with a little shifty to give you a few extra inches of clearance. Tyshawn shouldn’t have been SOTY for that, and I think Strobeck was projecting when he said that Manolo jerks off to pictures of his ex girlfriend and wishes they could get back together. Fat Bill, if you’re reading this you should leave that bitch in the past, it’s not your fault you realized you’ve already peaked when it comes to attractiveness of bitches that you can pull, and sure the new ones won’t be as hot as that girl you beat your smegma covered dick to but that’s how life works sometimes. Maybe join a gym and stop talking to girls who haven’t finished high school yet, that’d be a start.

Edit: the iron cross isn’t racist, you’re overthinking things, and the monster under the bed won’t eat you (I promise 🤞🏻)

The cross itself isn't racist. But if racist people co-opt it, then maybe it's kinda not great.

Like, if you had a logo and then you found out that pedophiles used that logo as a way to look cool to each other, you'd probably be bummed, right?

Hopefully?

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #368 on: June 08, 2020, 06:04:24 PM »
Fuck I didn't screen shot it but Breana commented about how they should get rid of the cross.
As far as I can tell the comment has been removed.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #369 on: June 08, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuck I didn't screen shot it but Breana commented about how they should get rid of the cross.
[close]
I just thought the same thing. Something along the lines of “Now it’s time to remove the cross babes.”
Yeah thats pretty much what she said.
Very interested to see if anyone else will say something to Indy.

thelonelynow

« Reply #370 on: June 08, 2020, 07:15:20 PM »

Here you go...

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #371 on: June 08, 2020, 08:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here you go...

I'm probably taking someone's post but...

Who?
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anybody else  think that Red Baron pizza should change its mascot? I always (okay, since high school) wondered about the connotations with that one. Those iron crosses were on his plane.
[close]

They could probably change it to Ernst Jünger's Storm of Steel Stuffcrust, but trench warfare isn't quite as sexy as dogfighting in a biplane.
[close]

it was a fucking triplane asshole

Goddamnit, you're right

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #373 on: June 08, 2020, 08:42:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here you go...

They cant afford to lose female demographic when they so close to launching their new mid trucks, if she jumps ship the whole lot from the pro ranks to insta skaters will end up to ventures or thunders.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #374 on: June 08, 2020, 09:11:24 PM »
NHS/Indy won’t change their logo for social pressure. It’d have to financial. Indy clothes sale better than entire brands. While I do think Indy is losing market share, it’s not drastic enough to affect change.

If if they change, I’d be shocked

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 699
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2020, 09:27:12 PM »
Two things.

First, all racist overtones or not aside, this debate over a logo makes one think about the power of brand identification. I’ve seen lots of comments from folks who claim they will no longer skate Indys if they eliminate the logo--doesn’t matter about the quality of the product anymore. Quite fascinating. Yet, some of those people argue, "It's just a skate logo, not some deep-seeded Nazi racist ideology." Yet, those same people would quit riding Indys because of a...logo. Irony always wins in the end.

Second, if any logo/graphic needs to be explained to people outside of skateboarding that it's not a symbol of hate, we should probably think hard about that. I've spent years defending a certain logo to people who don't skate. After 33 years, I (finally) see the problem with that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:10:02 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Bobbybanana

• Rep: 11
« Reply #376 on: June 08, 2020, 09:42:00 PM »
I definitely would feel awkward rocking a big independent cross nowadays (not that I would wear that ugly ass logo anyway) I wore a blank bright red wool hat once recently And noticed a few odd looks which then made me realize it might look maga and this was in Canada....

Also independent goes well with rds in small towns
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:48:50 PM by Bobbybanana »
Hangin' with a cool bunch

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #377 on: June 08, 2020, 09:52:23 PM »
You can’t let the nazis have anything. Like Eddie Murphy said. I give an inch, you take a mile.

I don’t think they should change it but if they did I wouldn’t be mad. I’m not a poosey. I also wore Indy shirts as a kid but I never would now either regardless where they stand. Bro culture, racist or not, killed the brand for me as far as clothes
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #378 on: June 09, 2020, 06:53:36 PM »
I had an indy cross tattooed on me when I was a kid. When I got older I really started realizing what it was associated with when pecker wood white boys and bikers would "brother" up to me in bars and shit. That tattoo is now long gone. I want nothing to do with that business.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #379 on: June 09, 2020, 11:28:52 PM »
be like Grosso switch to Ace they turn and grind better , no BS
" I did not say this I am not here"

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
« Reply #380 on: June 10, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I just thought the same thing. Something along the lines of “Now it’s time to remove the cross babes.”
[close]

If you read the comments Lacey baker says she rode for them for years but just quit a month ago because they wouldn't change their logo

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #381 on: June 10, 2020, 10:04:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

If you read the comments Lacey baker says she rode for them for years but just quit a month ago because they wouldn't change their logo

Yeah apparently a 'highly popular' skate brand just doesn't up and change something like a fart in the wind. Something he/she/they/Lacey/Leo/L. Baker should really learn to live by.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #382 on: June 10, 2020, 10:07:15 AM »
Last night Joey T was posting some “George Soros is funding a race war” shit on his insta story, now I’m looking at my aces like “gawdamnit.” I should just ride thunders.

Did you screenshot this? This + flowing 1010 + Darryl Angel riding Aces (let's be honest, that walking surplus chromosome isn't paying for shit) throughout his new part... fuck.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
« Reply #383 on: June 10, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah apparently a 'highly popular' skate brand just doesn't up and change something like a fart in the wind. Something he/she/they/Lacey/Leo/L. Baker should really learn to live by.

Hahaha that was my exact first thought

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #384 on: June 10, 2020, 10:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Last night Joey T was posting some “George Soros is funding a race war” shit on his insta story, now I’m looking at my aces like “gawdamnit.” I should just ride thunders.
[close]

Did you screenshot this? This + flowing 1010 + Darryl Angel riding Aces (let's be honest, that walking surplus chromosome isn't paying for shit) throughout his new part... fuck.

Yeah.....that’s all bad.
And I’ve been really stoked on mine lately. 

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #385 on: June 10, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »

Changes is a really good song.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #386 on: June 10, 2020, 11:10:19 AM »
So is Indy Edward Norton in American History X while Ace is the younger brother?

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #387 on: June 10, 2020, 12:54:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah.....that’s all bad.
And I’ve been really stoked on mine lately.
any screenshots?

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #388 on: June 10, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
It's a cross. Everyone needs to chill out. I will lose what little respect I had left for the brand if they change the logo.

stokedtrout

• Rep: 4
« Reply #389 on: June 10, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »
I would like to enter into evidence the highest award in the British honour system: the Victoria Cross.