Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546947 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #960 on: April 12, 2020, 03:12:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For anyone riding a 9+" popsicle how's ollying treat you? I'm a giant with size 16 shoes (currently ride an 8.75) and ride to work. All I want to be able to do is pop curbs as I cruise.  Is it easy enough to get a 9+" popsicle off the ground?
[close]

My big set up is a 9’ popsicle and there are no problems with Ollies. Takes a little more effort for flip tricks than my smaller set up, but not a big deal. The only decks bigger than 9 that I’ve had trouble ollieing with are shorter, flatter decks with minimal nose. Like the Santa Cruz Winkowski deck took a lot of adjusting to to feel comfortable ollieing with and even then I never trusted it to stick to my feet. I have a Zip Zogger I skate sometimes that is the same length but has more curves to it that ollies fine.
[close]

Thanks for the info bro big help. I am looking forward to seeing what Andy Anderson can do on the JM Durant that has a 17" wheel base. That thing is like a surf board but it would be mint to have that much real estate for my big ass feet.

No problem!

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #961 on: April 12, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For anyone riding a 9+" popsicle how's ollying treat you? I'm a giant with size 16 shoes (currently ride an 8.75) and ride to work. All I want to be able to do is pop curbs as I cruise.  Is it easy enough to get a 9+" popsicle off the ground?
[close]

My big set up is a 9’ popsicle and there are no problems with Ollies. Takes a little more effort for flip tricks than my smaller set up, but not a big deal. The only decks bigger than 9 that I’ve had trouble ollieing with are shorter, flatter decks with minimal nose. Like the Santa Cruz Winkowski deck took a lot of adjusting to to feel comfortable ollieing with and even then I never trusted it to stick to my feet. I have a Zip Zogger I skate sometimes that is the same length but has more curves to it that ollies fine.
[close]

Thanks for the info bro big help. I am looking forward to seeing what Andy Anderson can do on the JM Durant that has a 17" wheel base. That thing is like a surf board but it would be mint to have that much real estate for my big ass feet.
[close]
its all in the wb really. shorter will always be more responsive and easier to manuever
[close]
I agree^. But just wanted to say that most of us fossils learned how to ollie on 10" wide tanks with ~15" wb.
1/4" or 1/2" is a small wb change (to me). 2" more wb is a huge change.
9" pop with 15" wb is easy to find. Few shorter wb options too.

Same! I was a kid when I was riding those, such a different feeling riding anything like that as an adult

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #962 on: April 12, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
its all in the wb really. shorter will always be more responsive and easier to manuever
[close]
I agree^. But just wanted to say that most of us fossils learned how to ollie on 10" wide tanks with ~15" wb.

Fossil here. Yes, I learned to ollie and kickflip pre popsicle. Wheelbase was huge, and ridiculous considering I was 5’. This why although I think it’s MOSTLY about wheelbase, I can’t shake that there is some proportional voodoo that I just don’t understand. I learned 360 flips on small 7.5-7.75 boards. That’s what feels correct, to this day for me (I get really sideways because I skate a little better on 8” trucks but then that throws off the board sizes), I’ve done some really great (for me) feeling 360 flips on a 9” plus board, 169s, 56s, thats x32.5”+ with a 14.75” wb. Like the board just floats around. Confuses me greatly. All of this 360 flip business is really turning into a struggle

jtrpma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #963 on: April 12, 2020, 03:45:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A flat deck and short nose just needs extra height ie. risers or big wheels so it is as steep as a modern nose  popping it. Also buttonhead Hardware really helps to not overshoot the nose.
The only thing that is important to me is a longer wb so the weight stays behind the front truck when landing.

PMA

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #964 on: April 12, 2020, 03:59:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

A flat deck and short nose just needs extra height ie. risers or big wheels so it is as steep as a modern nose  popping it. Also buttonhead Hardware really helps to not overshoot the nose.
The only thing that is important to me is a longer wb so the weight stays behind the front truck when landing.

That makes sense, thanks! I’m already usually riding 58/60mm Wheels with 1/4’ risers on those but when money loosens up I’d like to try some Venture 6.1 to push the wb out a bit and will try out some thicker risers to see how that feels on those decks. Front foot sliding off the nose is the big problem I have on the flat/short combo

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #965 on: April 12, 2020, 04:32:21 PM »

I ride a 9.5 shaped deck with 169s and it’s no drama.

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #966 on: April 12, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ride a 9.5 shaped deck with 169s and it’s no drama.

good to know bro thanks

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #967 on: April 12, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Fossil here. Yes, I learned to ollie and kickflip pre popsicle. Wheelbase was huge, and ridiculous considering I was 5’. This why although I think it’s MOSTLY about wheelbase, I can’t shake that there is some proportional voodoo that I just don’t understand. I learned 360 flips on small 7.5-7.75 boards. That’s what feels correct, to this day for me (I get really sideways because I skate a little better on 8” trucks but then that throws off the board sizes), I’ve done some really great (for me) feeling 360 flips on a 9” plus board, 169s, 56s, thats x32.5”+ with a 14.75” wb. Like the board just floats around. Confuses me greatly. All of this 360 flip business is really turning into a struggle
I think leg strength affects 3flips on longer wheelbases. Maybe it's just me being wimpy.. I never had the legs for it and it got tiring flinging them on 14.5" wb. Lil 8" decks but heavy, old Indy's..
Lately I've been wondering about an exercise board. Short wb, lil wider. But definitely heavier, no light trucks. Try not to go too crazy with the wheel size cuz that's where the weight matters most.
Practicing flip tricks on that should make you feel buff when you go back to a lighter setup.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #968 on: April 12, 2020, 06:23:29 PM »
360 flips are one of my very few flip tricks. I like messing with different size boards and  like others have said above, wheelbase and wheel size are the biggest factor in making a wider deck compatible with ollies and flips... particularly the tre.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #969 on: April 12, 2020, 07:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
I think leg strength affects 3flips on longer wheelbases. Maybe it's just me being wimpy.. I never had the legs for it and it got tiring flinging them on 14.5" wb. Lil 8" decks but heavy, old Indy's..
Lately I've been wondering about an exercise board. Short wb, lil wider. But definitely heavier, no light trucks. Try not to go too crazy with the wheel size cuz that's where the weight matters most.
Practicing flip tricks on that should make you feel buff when you go back to a lighter setup.

Agree on leg strength.
Saw something with Gonz talking to Tyshawn maybe? Gonz was riding a beemer, or similar and saying once they went back to regular boards how shit would be easier.
Beemers and the like look very fun.
A wider board that looked rad to me was/is the girl/choco couch shape. Simon has a sick one. Not sure what size trucks he uses, maybe 159s? Board looks short. Maybe that Australian Girl skateboards am Rowan? Uses something similar. His board/truck set up look big.
As an aside, I have always stared at trucks when watching footage, which is fucking insane. Sometimes a different skater comes on screen and I first notice the trucks being different, and then look up like ‘so and so doesn’t skate thun....ooooooh’. Mental case.
I’ve also always had a hard time being positive of board truck width. So many skaters are small, the angles that are frequently used to capture images distort things, and.....yeah. Super important.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #970 on: April 13, 2020, 12:00:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Agree on leg strength.
Saw something with Gonz talking to Tyshawn maybe? Gonz was riding a beemer, or similar and saying once they went back to regular boards how shit would be easier.

Beemers and the like look very fun.
A wider board that looked rad to me was/is the girl/choco couch shape. Simon has a sick one. Not sure what size trucks he uses, maybe 159s? Board looks short. Maybe that Australian Girl skateboards am Rowan? Uses something similar. His board/truck set up look big.
As an aside, I have always stared at trucks when watching footage, which is fucking insane. Sometimes a different skater comes on screen and I first notice the trucks being different, and then look up like ‘so and so doesn’t skate thun....ooooooh’. Mental case.
I’ve also always had a hard time being positive of board truck width. So many skaters are small, the angles that are frequently used to capture images distort things, and.....yeah. Super important.
very logical point. im gonna look to set something like that up again. just have to figure out what things to size up....

im thinking wb stays the same or goes shorter, and trucks wide and heavy. wheel size same as regular setup. i have no theory for length or how much wider i should go.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #971 on: April 13, 2020, 08:43:40 AM »
I have short legs for my height(30 inseam 6’ tall) and anything over 14.5 wb 32.25 length feels like a long board for flip tricks. There is a tipping point for me, I’ve skated plenty of decks that are 9-9.75 that are shorter that I could 3 flip on easier than an 8.25 dlx full shape that has 14.5 and 32.5 length(measures flat). Also kick on the tail plus wheel size changes that response.
I wish I could just set a board up and go but it doesn’t work like that for me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #972 on: April 13, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
I have short legs for my height(30 inseam 6’ tall) and anything over 14.5 wb 32.25 length feels like a long board for flip tricks. There is a tipping point for me, I’ve skated plenty of decks that are 9-9.75 that are shorter that I could 3 flip on easier than an 8.25 dlx full shape that has 14.5 and 32.5 length(measures flat). Also kick on the tail plus wheel size changes that response.
I wish I could just set a board up and go but it doesn’t work like that for me.

I’ve got short legs as well, so always looking for short wb/short length (14”/31.5”).

I saw Chico redrilled a board, giving an old school shape more nose/shorter wheelbase, and I think about trying this on some scram boards (love the company, but....I’m never gonna invert, I just want something sick looking to pedal around town on and see the sights, whilst attempting some flat ground). I wonder how quickly the redrill goes haywire, makes the board unstable etc...

animalflesh

« Reply #973 on: April 13, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »
Just bought this

WIDTH (IN):   9.0
LENGTH (IN):   32.375
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.375
NOSE (IN):   7.375
TAIL (IN):   6.5
CONCAVE (IN):   .5

Razor top

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #974 on: April 13, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
Just bought this

Razor top

bro that is a fucking sick deck. where'd you find it? also what set up you running on it?

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #975 on: April 13, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
    Originally the indy 169 had a 9.5 inch axle and the 159 had the 9 inch.  Now the 169s indy produces are only 9 inches wide.  215's are fuckin useless so if you want a wide truck the biggest is the 9 which is wack for a full sized 10 inch board.  ACE 66's are 9.5 but they bend.  Indy if you're out there make a real 169 thank you.

The truck to width ratio only applies to popsicles. If you really look, most 10" shaped decks are about 9" to 9.5" at the axles.
I ride a 10" Black Label Lucero with new 169's and it's fine. Most of the old school "pig shaped" boards would carry even smaller trucks that that.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #976 on: April 13, 2020, 04:53:44 PM »
Expand Quote
    Originally the indy 169 had a 9.5 inch axle and the 159 had the 9 inch.  Now the 169s indy produces are only 9 inches wide.  215's are fuckin useless so if you want a wide truck the biggest is the 9 which is wack for a full sized 10 inch board.  ACE 66's are 9.5 but they bend.  Indy if you're out there make a real 169 thank you.
[close]

The truck to width ratio only applies to popsicles. If you really look, most 10" shaped decks are about 9" to 9.5" at the axles.
I ride a 10" Black Label Lucero with new 169's and it's fine. Most of the old school "pig shaped" boards would carry even smaller trucks that that.
When was the 9", 9.5" thing? Stage 8-9? Older?
Now 159's are 8.75" and 169's are 9.125" (9-1/8")
Ace 66 are 9.35", about 9-3/8"

For shaped boards I look at the width at the back truck. Grom me has kicked my back wheel pushing my ass off, not fun.. I don't like wheels sticking out, especially my back truck. I don't remember ppl hotrodding in the 80's but from what I've read here some ppl were doing that.

animalflesh

« Reply #977 on: April 13, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Just bought this

Razor top
[close]

bro that is a fucking sick deck. where'd you find it? also what set up you running on it?

Thanks man just got it direct from their site

Probably going to do ace 55 and 1/4 risers and 58mm spitfires

Probably rails too

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #978 on: April 14, 2020, 08:02:30 AM »

Just set this up - it'll be my cruiser/bigger transition board this year. I'm fulfilling my contractual obligations as a Tired team member by skating this. Need to fulfill my minimum of eight photos and 2.3 minutes of footage.

But seriously:

• Tired Sigar, 9.25 x 32 - Not sure of the wheelbase, but I'll barely be flipping this board. Never skated a shape quite like this, it feels good though.
  • Ricta Clouds, 78a, 56mm - Recommended by Roger Bagley, softness recommended by Sundaynuggets. Chose 56s for a decent-sized cruiser while maintaining functionality with tricks, I can't do much on 60+ mm wheels. 78a because where I live is too crusty.
  • Independent XI 159 hollows - these were on sale and I couldn't pass them up. I originally wanted the satin white Ace 55s, but they run a pretty penny for me these days. Never had hollows and it was surreal to see the holes in the axle.
  • Bones Swiss - used these on a prior setup. One of the bearings is getting rusty (RIP), I never clean my bearings. They're still super fast.

I'll post it again when it's skated and give an update about how it went. It feels comfortable just to stand on, so I've got a good feeling about it.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #979 on: April 14, 2020, 10:19:32 AM »

Just set this up - it'll be my cruiser/bigger transition board this year. I'm fulfilling my contractual obligations as a Tired team member by skating this. Need to fulfill my minimum of eight photos and 2.3 minutes of footage.

But seriously:

• Tired Sigar, 9.25 x 32 - Not sure of the wheelbase, but I'll barely be flipping this board. Never skated a shape quite like this, it feels good though.
  • Ricta Clouds, 78a, 56mm - Recommended by Roger Bagley, softness recommended by Sundaynuggets. Chose 56s for a decent-sized cruiser while maintaining functionality with tricks, I can't do much on 60+ mm wheels. 78a because where I live is too crusty.
  • Independent XI 159 hollows - these were on sale and I couldn't pass them up. I originally wanted the satin white Ace 55s, but they run a pretty penny for me these days. Never had hollows and it was surreal to see the holes in the axle.
  • Bones Swiss - used these on a prior setup. One of the bearings is getting rusty (RIP), I never clean my bearings. They're still super fast.

I'll post it again when it's skated and give an update about how it went. It feels comfortable just to stand on, so I've got a good feeling about it.

Damn, that looks great!

animalflesh

« Reply #980 on: April 14, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
Gripped it up last night
Scram Logan Devlin 9.5 x 32 14.3 wb
Thunder 151 forged hollow w/dlx supercush 94a
Spitfire f4 grosso classic full 56 99a
Bronson raw
Krooked risers
Mob
Rad railz
Dunks

Bumping this cause it didn’t get enough shine

One of the coolest scram shape/ graphic combos in awhile and Logan Devlin is rad

Really teetering on buying one

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #981 on: April 14, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Gripped it up last night
Scram Logan Devlin 9.5 x 32 14.3 wb
Thunder 151 forged hollow w/dlx supercush 94a
Spitfire f4 grosso classic full 56 99a
Bronson raw
Krooked risers
Mob
Rad railz
Dunks

[close]

Bumping this cause it didn’t get enough shine

One of the coolest scram shape/ graphic combos in awhile and Logan Devlin is rad

Really teetering on buying one

Yes everything here is hot.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #982 on: April 14, 2020, 05:38:10 PM »
@144p So sick. Curious, are those your own measurements? Just wondering if it doesn’t match up with what’s posted

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #983 on: April 14, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »
Yes they are mine, those are not the actual dimensions. I measure with the tape flat to the deck.

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #984 on: April 15, 2020, 05:17:59 AM »
Expand Quote

But seriously:

[close]

Sweet setup. I think you'll really like those Rictas on crusty streets, I love mine!

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #985 on: April 15, 2020, 07:04:49 AM »

Edit, fixed now, thanks!,

Apologies for the massive picture, I’m an old idiot so educate me in resizing it from imgur......

Long term lurker, first time poster etc

Blast Skates 9” (officially but it measures more like 8.75 to me )
Ace 55
Creature bloodsuckers 56mm 97a
Mini logo bearings
Random hardware
Pig Rail

SC Dressen Roses (p)reissue 9.35
Standard Indy 59
Slimeballs (no longer) 56mm 97a
Random bolts and bearings and rail from the corner of the shed.

46 year old feet in G6 Spankys - comfy chillers so far, skating half cabs at the moment since they remind me of being young.

Hate the way the creature wheels look but the slimeball mould is super wide and my local streets are awfully crusty so I’m kinda stuck on the NHS 97a formula as the best compromise for them. Open to some less ugly suggestions!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 08:55:00 AM by Jory4 »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #986 on: April 15, 2020, 07:08:54 AM »
Expand Quote

But seriously:

[close]

Damn, that looks great!
That's a gorgeous board indeed, curious about how the top looks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #987 on: April 15, 2020, 07:15:10 AM »

Apologies for the massive picture, I’m an old idiot so educate me in resizing it from imgur......

Ace 55
Mini logo bearings
Random hardware
Pig Rail

Standard Indy 59

46 year old feet in G6 Spankys - comfy chillers so far, skating half cabs at the moment since they remind me of being young.

Hate the way the creature wheels look but the slimeball mould is super wide and my local streets are awfully crusty so I’m kinda stuck on the NHS 97a formula as the best compromise for them. Open to some less ugly suggestions!

If you add a space and width=500 (or whatever size you want) to the first img bracket it'll resize (it looks like [img width=500]).

That Dressen board looks sick with the 159s. I also like the graphic on the black stain.
Love the Dressen board

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #988 on: April 15, 2020, 08:07:20 AM »
[img=500]https://i.imgur.com/rczuM7u.jpg[/img]

Ace 55
Mini logo bearings
Random hardware
Pig Rail

Standard Indy 59

Since you're living in NHS town, you're probably already aware but I think those Creature Bloodsuckers are just rebranded OJ Mini Combos. I have a set of MCs and they look the same and are the same size and duro. I only bought a set out of nostalgia and I don't use them but I have noticed the orange MCs come back from time to time. Maybe you can stock up next time they come back?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #989 on: April 15, 2020, 08:58:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[img=500]https://i.imgur.com/rczuM7u.jpg[/img]

Ace 55
Mini logo bearings
Random hardware
Pig Rail

Standard Indy 59

[close]
Since you're living in NHS town, you're probably already aware but I think those Creature Bloodsuckers are just rebranded OJ Mini Combos. I have a set of MCs and they look the same and are the same size and duro. I only bought a set out of nostalgia and I don't use them but I have noticed the orange MCs come back from time to time. Maybe you can stock up next time they come back?

I think the creatures are the same as the OJ hardline shape but seems hard to find those in a 97. Im in the UK so we don’t always get as much choice!

The dressen skates great, really good pop for a big board.