Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 546950 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5790 on: September 28, 2023, 12:55:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any folks riding 10” trucks find locking in hard? Talking about transition, mainly. My 10” trucks have the heelside groove in the same place as all my 9” trucks. BS lock in feels vague, but when I shift so the heel wheel is tight to the coping, I bail. I don’t know if it’s a muscle memory thing or a physics thing where the wheels are just too far out from the centerline to make locking in practical or possible.
[close]

Stand up grinds are definitely harder with 10” trucks. The people I know that ride them mostly do carve grinds and slash grinds.
[close]

I actually prefer the lock-in on 10" trucks. It took about 20-30 minutes on the first day to fully acclimate to pushing all the way into and out of grinds, but once I got the feel for it I've had no issue locking up against my wheel. The added hanger room and board width made smiths feel way better and more controlled for me as well, especially for FS tail grab or seatbelt smiths.

Shitty iPhone clip screen grab for reference -

Absolutely need this bowl in my life

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5791 on: September 28, 2023, 01:00:47 PM »

Expand Quote

Black Label Curb Nerd 9.63" x 32" with 14-14.5" adjustable wheelbase (set at 14")
Lurpiv IKP 159
Dogtown Rallys 54mm 99a
Bones Super Swiss 6
Jessup Ultra
7/8" hardware

Been a while since I've skated a deck that's 32" long, which is definitely something I'm still getting used to.
[close]

@Orangepulp1000 FWIW I switched to Thunder 161s on this board and found myself having a much better time with it.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #5792 on: September 28, 2023, 01:03:47 PM »
Absolutely need this bowl in my life

Although I wish it was a bit deeper, I love that thing. 5th Pocket knows how to build a damn good skatepark  ;D
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5793 on: September 28, 2023, 03:52:18 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Black Label Curb Nerd 9.63" x 32" with 14-14.5" adjustable wheelbase (set at 14")
Lurpiv IKP 159
Dogtown Rallys 54mm 99a
Bones Super Swiss 6
Jessup Ultra
7/8" hardware

Been a while since I've skated a deck that's 32" long, which is definitely something I'm still getting used to.
[close]
[close]

@Orangepulp1000 FWIW I switched to Thunder 161s on this board and found myself having a much better time with it.

The silly thing is I am sure most of the 9+ boards would skate better on 9+ trucks, even with the taper, but when I look down at the back truck, it makes me doubt it and then puts me off the whole board, before even setting it up or more often I sell it on.

Others who have set up boards much like that who find it does work then make me think it is not a worry and I have got and skated boards with tapers like that before, often used from others, and just to see what they are like, so it is just the initial look and think "No" that gets me there.

Thinking of 80s boards, they always had a lot of back wheel sticking out and that is how they skated them, but I also question the width of the tail on some of the newer ones, that almost look smaller than some of my normal boards.

I guess that is also why the Huffer shape works so well, because the tail on that thing is still pretty big and wide.

No harm in looking at a lot of options and that is what makes this thread so good, because I can see quite a few boards that I have that I am just yet to set up for whatever reason, usually because the trucks don't quite fit on it to my liking.

* Yes I am my own worst enemy in that regard!!!  :)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #5794 on: September 28, 2023, 08:02:48 PM »
Expand Quote

I know @Mbrimson88 isnt in the states but if you guys are you may want to check out Motuary Skates. One of Gurneys shapes is like a cross between a Sweatpants and Manvan(or Street thing same shape).

[close]

That does look like a good one too.

Still PS Stix for wood?  That's what I had it as for the woodshop listing.

Some people who are not too fond of BBS might prefer that one as well, just as another option.

https://www.mortuaryskates.com/

I can only see 9.625 as width, so what are the other dimensions on that board?

Thanks.

I’m assuming they are. That’s from their first run. I’ll try to get the rest of the dims tomorrow or this weekend.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #5795 on: October 05, 2023, 04:22:37 AM »
DSM age old clearance stock board finally reach a local skateshop im my part of the world (Malaysia).

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #5796 on: October 05, 2023, 01:14:03 PM »
https://www.awhsales.com/p-83657-heroin-team-wide-boy-egg-shaped-deck-1075.aspx

New Heroin drop has a 10.75 egg called the Wide Boy. Couldn't get my hands on an Eggzilla last time so I'm gonna lurk hard to snag a Wide Boy

For real, you guys are all the worst. I have one eggish board, an old mariano powerslide but eggs aren’t in my quiver.

Until later today, when I pick up my wide boy  8)
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #5797 on: October 05, 2023, 07:15:25 PM »
while we're on the subject of tapers...
ugh so I picked up this scram and it's a 9.5 so I'm thinking my 169s will fit perfect, alas I didn't realize the back tapers down to an 8.75. and I HATE seeing my wheels. I'm still putting off setting it up til I have some cool shit for a grip job, and just praying it will miraculously get wider and fit my trucks. if not then 166s here I come I guess...
second pic is sitting on top of my current deck, it really looks exactly the same but still my anxiety skyrockets

LUPE POR VIDA
Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5798 on: October 05, 2023, 07:26:05 PM »
ugh so I picked up this scram and it's a 9.5 so I'm thinking my 169s will fit perfect, alas I didn't realize the back tapers down to an 8.75. and I HATE seeing my wheels. I'm still putting off setting it up til I have some cool shit for a grip job, and just praying it will miraculously get wider and fit my trucks. if not then 166s here I come I guess...
second pic is sitting on top of my current deck, it really looks exactly the same but still my anxiety skyrockets

LUPE POR VIDA

Had you mentioned it here I probably could’ve told ya. And yes LUPE POR VIDA!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5799 on: October 05, 2023, 07:30:01 PM »
Expand Quote

I know @Mbrimson88 isnt in the states but if you guys are you may want to check out Motuary Skates. One of Gurneys shapes is like a cross between a Sweatpants and Manvan(or Street thing same shape).

[close]

Some people who are not too fond of BBS might prefer that one as well, just as another option.

Thanks.

Finally got it dug out, here’s the other dims:

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #5800 on: October 05, 2023, 07:34:09 PM »
Expand Quote

LUPE POR VIDA
[close]

yah I should have just had some balls and got one of the 10s, but I guess I'm cornered into sizing down my trucks. i really need fatter wheels too so I might just go all the way down to 159s... I miss being a kid and not paying attention to any of this
Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5801 on: October 06, 2023, 12:58:20 AM »

New Heroin drop has a 10.75 egg called the Wide Boy. Couldn't get my hands on an Eggzilla last time so I'm gonna lurk hard to snag a Wide Boy
Are you looking for one still? I think my locals got one on the shelf still
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #5802 on: October 06, 2023, 01:29:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
An eggzilla or the wide body? I’m about to swoop in on that zilla like a bloard vulture if it’s still there
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

boneless900

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5803 on: October 06, 2023, 06:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Appreciate the heads up homie but nah I gave up trying to find a wide boy. I just snagged a generator gfb 9.1 symmetrical egg (twin tail) from skate samples instead since I'm a bit short on cash and it's been tough to find wide boiz. I still think heroin boards are awesome, but I just don't have the money right now since they're pretty pricey (especially with shipping across the US).

I saw that the stingee thingee from heroin is on sale at skate warehouse though. Anybody try this shape? I think the nose portion is from a 10" egg and the tail is from their symmetrical shovel (9.5"?). Pretty wacky lookin shape but I do like the graphic

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5804 on: October 06, 2023, 06:46:19 AM »
Setting up the zogger. Decided on the smaller trucks, Ace 66. Lil jawns rails, and bones x97 55mm wheels. Haven't put it together just yet since the rails I laid on are too low profile. Just waiting on the mail to get here for the standard rails.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 258
« Reply #5805 on: October 07, 2023, 11:12:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Appreciate the heads up homie but nah I gave up trying to find a wide boy. I just snagged a generator gfb 9.1 symmetrical egg (twin tail) from skate samples instead since I'm a bit short on cash and it's been tough to find wide boiz. I still think heroin boards are awesome, but I just don't have the money right now since they're pretty pricey (especially with shipping across the US).

I saw that the stingee thingee from heroin is on sale at skate warehouse though. Anybody try this shape? I think the nose portion is from a 10" egg and the tail is from their symmetrical shovel (9.5"?). Pretty wacky lookin shape but I do like the graphic

If you’re still looking. Since you mentioned shipping across the US I assume you’re on the east coast (or at least east of the Mississippi?). This shop is in Maryland. It’s one of my locals.

https://embarkskateshop.com/collections/decks/products/heroin-wide-boy-egg-shaped-deck-10-75

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5806 on: October 07, 2023, 03:11:21 PM »
Setting up the zogger. Decided on the smaller trucks, Ace 66. Lil jawns rails, and bones x97 55mm wheels. Haven't put it together just yet since the rails I laid on are too low profile. Just waiting on the mail to get here for the standard rails.

Graphics are rad as always.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5807 on: October 08, 2023, 03:43:53 PM »
Quote from: Plan9Customs

Graphics are rad as always.
[/quote

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5808 on: October 08, 2023, 05:11:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks.
[close]

I’m assuming they are. That’s from their first run. I’ll try to get the rest of the dims tomorrow or this weekend.

Meant to reply earlier, but yeah thanks for the pics.

Looks like a decently big board.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5809 on: October 09, 2023, 06:11:52 AM »
Cross post from Set Up Thread!

Wanted to refresh my cruiser set up with just the bushings but realized I wasn't crazy about the Crail shape (Burly - punk nose tip one) i had. That long fingers of flat + steep tail thing + lack of concave at kicks (BBS usually has this and I love it) was fucking odd on Indys.

Naturally, I bought a new deck/grip and gave myself an excuse to use some 159s I bought last year instead of using the 149s I had since the 159s seem to fit better. Minor hotrodding in back but not terrible.

Real Guerrero R1 9.25" (forgot the other specs - lost the dims sticker)
Indy Standard 159 (conical aftermarket bushings)
Mob Grip (graphic & reg)
Indy bolts
OJ Mini Juice 53mm? (Had them since 2016 or 2017)
Bones Reds

Super Champion Fun Zone

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #5810 on: October 09, 2023, 09:20:39 PM »
Anyone here ridden a Stingee Thingee? Been missing my big boy set up and the shape keeps catching my eye. Thinking Classic 55s or 169s but a little concerned about the magic carpet level in the back.

BSslappysOnly

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5811 on: October 10, 2023, 04:54:54 AM »
I have a Stingee Thingee on Ace Classic 66s. Doesn’t hot rod in the back and doesn’t feel too much like a magic carpet in the front. 169s might work but 55s seem like they’d be too small.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #5812 on: October 10, 2023, 08:43:48 AM »
I have a Stingee Thingee on Ace Classic 66s. Doesn’t hot rod in the back and doesn’t feel too much like a magic carpet in the front. 169s might work but 55s seem like they’d be too small.

Beautiful, much appreciated.

TheSickness

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5813 on: October 10, 2023, 09:23:36 AM »
Expand Quote

LUPE POR VIDA
[close]

I saw that SCRAM board and knew you wouldn't be far behind!  Lol. 

Meikil0

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5814 on: October 16, 2023, 09:23:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm big board curious. Don't skate a whole bunch anymore, I want to have something to roll about on at the beach front, Ollie's, no complys, curbs (Ray Barbee/Rubber boys) . I've got a regular 8.5" setup so can go wild.

Would an 80s no nose be a terrible idea? Love to hear some suggestions.
[close]

Anti-Hero Yellow Eagle - Beach Bum shape
Polar Dane 1 Shape
Krooked Sweatpants Shape

Any of those decks with a softer wheel like a Bones Dragon 93a would make for a fun cruiser/curb/fuck around board
[close]
Thanks been looking at Dane 1s for years.
[close]

Dane1's have a small wheelbase, so if that's not your cup of tea, I would recommend the Krooked Sweatpants shape (posted above on this page). The shape is similair, but the wheelbase is 14.38 compared to the new 14.1 wb of the Dane1. The old Dane decks are really similair though. Currently riding the Ronnie Sandoval graphic and I like it so far, although it feels a bit small compared to the 10" Heroin Mutants I've been riding before this.
[close]

A few pages back I think someone mentioned the new Dane1 decks are being bumped up to a 14.38”wb which will make it the same as the Krooked shape.
[close]

Yeah, you're right. I mixed them up and thought it became smaller.

I made a comment in a recent post on polar's instagram, and they told me that the Wheelbase on Dane1's was always 14.375 and the 14.125 wheelbase that appears on the website was actually an error.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5815 on: October 16, 2023, 10:03:20 PM »
I just remeasured the 2 that I have on ice and if measuring middle hole to middle hole it's 14" and then top to bottom it's 14.125. Polar is so weird about this.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Meikil0

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5816 on: October 17, 2023, 05:08:51 AM »
I measures mine's too and i had the same results as you, I think we will only know when someone buys the new one and measures it to compare with the old one, I really don't think the wheelbase has changed, this must have been some misunderstanding between them because a while ago the WB on the site used to be 14,375, then changed to 14,125 and now it's going back!!??? Weird asf

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #5817 on: October 17, 2023, 09:12:19 AM »
I just remeasured the 2 that I have on ice and if measuring middle hole to middle hole it's 14" and then top to bottom it's 14.125. Polar is so weird about this.

Confirmed. I had one a couple of years back and it measured the same as yours.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5818 on: October 17, 2023, 11:21:16 AM »

Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp 3 10.25" x 30.03" with 15.75" wheelbase

Independent Stage 4 166

Dogtown K9 80s 58mm 99a wheels

Bones Super Red Ceramics

MOB

Real 1/8" wood risers

Powell Rib Bones

And_so_it_goes22

• Rep: 26
« Reply #5819 on: October 19, 2023, 12:19:07 AM »
These dropped today and look pretty sick.  BBS wood, cool retro eggish shape, wheel wells and iconic art. 

https://blockheadskateboards.com/collections/featured-goods/products/rick-howard-skunk-modern?variant=46948222599472