Author Topic: Tampa Pro 2021  (Read 21910 times)

Monopolyman

Re: Tampa Pro 2021
« Reply #330 on: October 21, 2021, 10:37:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Berra flipping off announcers was priceless, someone please screenshot it
[close]
The true bad boy of skateboarding  ::)

[close]

Mike V having fun with his shoes, how cute!
I cant tell, is Steve even wearing Beriumas?

rukes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 217
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #331 on: October 22, 2021, 12:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Look like Volleys. Steve on Dunlop confirmed.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #332 on: October 22, 2021, 03:55:53 AM »
Holy shit, Berra is AGGRO!!! Putting off that angry alcoholic little league dad energy hahaha

veritas

« Reply #333 on: October 22, 2021, 06:02:24 AM »
Holy shit, Berra is AGGRO!!! Putting off that angry alcoholic little league dad energy hahaha

He’s mastering the frustrated suburban dad look for sure. Loving that “I drive a 3 series with the seats pushed all the way up and carry my keys around in my hand all day cause I can’t grow facial hair” energy the slumped shoulder middle finger gives off. Now he’s gotta show up to Billy’s soccer game to support the team cause the wife has a migraine and THIS HAPPENS
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 05:04:55 AM by veritas »

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
« Reply #334 on: October 22, 2021, 06:42:44 AM »
How is Berra not wearing a Cariuma T shirt? I mean everybody wears one but not him? Is he too important to wear one? Same with his shoes, he wears some blackout ones? Does he feel too much shame to wear Cariuma?
If he wants to push Cariuma he should wear it all over.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #335 on: October 22, 2021, 06:45:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
10 years ago:

Now:

A step forward or a step back?
[close]

theyre 2 different things.  busenitz's run is flat out, barely holding on, but in the best way possible.  whereas shane's run is so well executed, it's almost less exciting because of it, but when you look closer at it it's fucking wild
[close]
This run felt neutered. Ishod's golden ticket run from 2013 is perhaps my favorite usage of skill at a contest. Fast, loose, unapologetically spontaneous. Shane reminds me of a guy who is too good with a tech deck, utterly soulless

Came here to complain but it feels like everything I would have said is already perfectly explained above - was legit disappointed watching only the highlights

Looked like one of those ugly runs you do in THPS where you're just trying to hit a specific score so you mash directional buttons and the flip trick + grab buttons

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2021, 08:02:02 AM »
If Neil blender spray painting a face mid contest run still doesn’t make sense to you, you’re probably Steve Berra

Monopolyman

« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »
How is Berra not wearing a Cariuma T shirt? I mean everybody wears one but not him? Is he too important to wear one? Same with his shoes, he wears some blackout ones? Does he feel too much shame to wear Cariuma?

Exactly.  This says it all

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2239
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #338 on: October 23, 2021, 01:00:46 AM »
Real question here… Has our great hero, Steve, ever been known to stand up for, or come to the defense of any skaters that WERE NOT affiliated with the Borrics family of brands?
He’s painting himself out to be a protector of skateboarders, but I gotta ask in all seriousness: he ever do that for anybody that wasn’t “in house?”

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

veritas

« Reply #339 on: October 23, 2021, 05:13:34 AM »
I remember reading about early 2000s Tampa contests in magazines and it sounded like all out drunken face punching debauchery followed by strip clubs in ybor city

Now we have grown men becoming emotional and getting people kicked out for “creating an unsafe space.” When I attend Tampa with my boy scout troop of misfit coriumvo riders, you better greet me with a big warm hug and only say nice things

pops

• Rep: 246
« Reply #340 on: October 23, 2021, 05:19:18 AM »
Jack not winning the best trick is unbelievable and ridiculous.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #341 on: October 23, 2021, 02:15:40 PM »
I remember reading about early 2000s Tampa contests in magazines and it sounded like all out drunken face punching debauchery followed by strip clubs in ybor city

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #342 on: October 23, 2021, 06:00:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
10 years ago:

Now:

[close]

theyre 2 different things.  busenitz's run is flat out, barely holding on, but in the best way possible.  whereas shane's run is so well executed, it's almost less exciting because of it, but when you look closer at it it's fucking wild
[close]
This run felt neutered. Ishod's golden ticket run from 2013 is perhaps my favorite usage of skill at a contest. Fast, loose, unapologetically spontaneous. Shane reminds me of a guy who is too good with a tech deck, utterly soulless
[close]

Came here to complain but it feels like everything I would have said is already perfectly explained above - was legit disappointed watching only the highlights

Looked like one of those ugly runs you do in THPS where you're just trying to hit a specific score so you mash directional buttons and the flip trick + grab buttons

Busenitz’s run was twice as fast, had only one brief board dismount, and had difficult lip tricks linking things together.

It’s crazy how boring people can make legitimately gnarly skating look these days.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #343 on: October 23, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
10 years ago:

Now:

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Busenitz’s run was twice as fast, had only one brief board dismount, and had difficult lip tricks linking things together.

It’s crazy how boring people can make legitimately gnarly skating look these days.

I love busentiz run but I think the actual design of the park has a lot to do with how things have changed. Most the obstacles in busentiz are like the smallest ledge in the modern Tampa park. Also the parks setup in a way where you can hit things constantly in a row. If busentiz skated the 2021 Tampa he would probably only do about the same amount of tricks as everyone else because of the dead section in the middle.

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #344 on: October 24, 2021, 08:07:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When they show a clip of Mike Sinclair they list his 'sponsors' as "Oscar Meyer, Doritos, YooHoo" lol. These fat jokes have been following him around his whole career!

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #345 on: October 24, 2021, 10:13:50 PM »
Expand Quote
was the crete jam not recorded or broadcasted?
[close]

Why do women always ruin, well not ruin but put a damper at any live event with that annoying “Whooooo!”?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #346 on: October 24, 2021, 11:17:39 PM »
What’s the go with contests? I remember reading in tws in early 00’s rob dyrdek was saying the sponsors paid out whatever you got in contest winnings, so like if you took a g home from a contest and you had six sponsors you’d get 7 grand off everyone

Surely it doesn’t work like this anymore
Does anybody know?
listen to cosmic psychos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #347 on: October 24, 2021, 11:18:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
10 years ago:

Now:

[close]

[close]
[close]

I fuck with Shane hard but I am pretty much over crooks nollie flips

Edit

Someone said ages ago that contest skating is eventually gonna go the gymnastics route
I mean none of us would know the names but all those flips and shit they all got diff names
I uh, watch ladies gymnastics sometimes, they’re all fit as ay
Anyway, like they all know what flips are worth what points it’s full just numbers
Kind of shitty, no?
listen to cosmic psychos

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #348 on: October 25, 2021, 12:15:51 AM »
What’s the go with contests? I remember reading in tws in early 00’s rob dyrdek was saying the sponsors paid out whatever you got in contest winnings, so like if you took a g home from a contest and you had six sponsors you’d get 7 grand off everyone

Does anybody know?

I think it really depends on who you are and what sponsors you have. Pretty sure there were some very nice years for nyjah when contest wins were like 250g and he was getting matched by element, monster and DC/Nike. Also winning like 8 of the things a year for about 11 years.

I don't even know how much x games, sls, dew tour pay anymore pretty sure it's way way down now.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #349 on: October 25, 2021, 05:20:31 AM »
Anyway,

WavyDavy

• Rep: 125
« Reply #350 on: October 25, 2021, 06:52:23 AM »
Someone said ages ago that contest skating is eventually gonna go the gymnastics route
I mean none of us would know the names but all those flips and shit they all got diff names
Anyway, like they all know what flips are worth what points it’s full just numbers
Kind of shitty, no?

Its definitely likes this already with some skaters at contests. Always the same tricks, runs, etc.
The Olympic games was definitely full of trained routines with high scoring but safe tricks like all those 270s to slides done the rail.
I like Shane but prefer watching his parts than mechanical contest runs.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 688
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #351 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:55 AM »

Does anybody know?

would differ from contract to contract, i imagine most pros get paid just to show up and the more screen time you get the better especailly when it comes to energy drink stuff (i imagine board sponsors are not clocking screen time down to the second like the energy drink guys are though)

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #352 on: October 25, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »
My inclination is that Berra knows on some level that at this point, his personal affiliation with Cariuma as an individual only serves as a disservice to the brand. Some of his behavior argues that he does not know this, of course lol but I think that's because he can't control himself and is also an idiot. but when it comes to picking out the fit for the day, I would imagine it was intentional. He knows that he's garnered quite a bit of hatred in the skateboarding community and that his value to a brand like Cariuma comes from his ability to influence entities like his own outlet (The Berrics) or whatever other stuff he has a hand in, and that he offers basically no value if not negative value from his own personal brand as "Steve Berra the pro skateboarder/individual".

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 286
« Reply #353 on: October 25, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Look like Volleys. Steve on Dunlop confirmed.
What are those pants? Steve on USPS confirmed.

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 469
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #354 on: November 03, 2021, 08:03:39 AM »
Because you demanded it...

An article about Tampa Pro that doesn't mention skateboarding or strip clubs:

http://4plymag.com/Tampa2021/

4Ply Analyzes The Worn Logos In The Semi Finals of Tampa Pro 2021

Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2021, 08:36:52 AM »

I've been enjoying 4plymag's output, respect

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #356 on: November 03, 2021, 09:02:37 AM »
I know the channel's wack but this definitely belongs here.
Mike V freestyling some Rollins inspired highschool poetry around the 1:00 mark:

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #357 on: November 03, 2021, 01:35:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I've been enjoying 4plymag's output, respect

I would buy this hat

LostBearings

• Rep: -6
« Reply #358 on: November 03, 2021, 02:49:03 PM »
C*riuma stans were running from one end of the park to the other after every trick. No flow whatsoever.. It was truly an eye sore to watch them skate tampa like that

IpathCats

« Reply #359 on: November 04, 2021, 05:20:01 AM »
C*riuma stans were running from one end of the park to the other after every trick. No flow whatsoever.. It was truly an eye sore to watch them skate tampa like that

It's literally a back and forth park set up that way. I'm no fan of berri-umas either, but this doesn't make sense.

Edit: I think the only people that skated it with any flow were Eli Williams and Chris Colburn.