Author Topic: Tampa Pro 2021  (Read 21990 times)

cherry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Tampa Pro 2021
« Reply #270 on: October 18, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »
Listening to spot announcers during “skategoats” run also confirms that’ll I’ll never buy the “stanceless” schtick even if Rodney mullen supports it.

“Backwards flip down the stairs”

“Skates tranny goofy and street regular”

This is how dis information works and everyone is confused watching him.

He also seems super cocky about it like “yay I’m changing skating I’m the Micheal Jordan” and then kicks his board at the end of his run during semi finals. The micro aggressions don’t go un noticed, Steve Berra dumped gas on u spot lit the fire  Cariuma= Ben shapiro
Skategoat= can’t put out a progressive part, can’t win a contest

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #271 on: October 18, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
John dilo frontside flip fakie manny fakie flip out was insane and should’ve won best trick imo.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2021, 10:56:21 AM »
Also love how in that Instagram post steve straight patriotizes the kid with “jagger Eaton is an Olympic medalist” like that’s an actual accomplishment for skateboarding or like the Olympics actually evolved or changed skating in some drastic way.

Yeah, exactly.  Imagine someone had brought a poster of one of the Nyjah's butt memes if Nyjah was competing, does anyone think that Borra would have chased out the guy holding that up? "nYjAh iS aN oLyMpiAn" smh.

Cariumboes are a plague. The ultimate irony is Borra isn't even wearing one of their terrible t-shirts.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:16:16 AM by hotdogsweatpants »
The pant situation is out of control at this point

rothdigga

• Rep: 594
« Reply #273 on: October 18, 2021, 11:32:06 AM »
Never should have axed the Moat Race.

I was there for the BoozenTitz run, as well, but had the misfortune of watching on a screen in the courtyard. The noise from inside was deafening. Classic case of choosing free beer over witnessing history.

I tried to convince them to do a milk-crate challenge OVER the moat for this year.  Just build a small plywood platform that went over it, stack them up and get 5 "competitors" to give it a shot for a prize pack if they make it.  Losers all get destroyed into the moat and maybe a small case of Hep C to go with it.  Everyone wins though.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 11
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2021, 12:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Never should have axed the Moat Race.

I was there for the BoozenTitz run, as well, but had the misfortune of watching on a screen in the courtyard. The noise from inside was deafening. Classic case of choosing free beer over witnessing history.
[close]

I tried to convince them to do a milk-crate challenge OVER the moat for this year.  Just build a small plywood platform that went over it, stack them up and get 5 "competitors" to give it a shot for a prize pack if they make it.  Losers all get destroyed into the moat and maybe a small case of Hep C to go with it.  Everyone wins though.

Damn they missed that chance..

WavyDavy

• Rep: 126
« Reply #275 on: October 18, 2021, 12:41:24 PM »
Also love how in that Instagram post steve straight patriotizes the kid with “jagger Eaton is an Olympic medalist” like that’s an actual accomplishment for skateboarding or like the Olympics actually evolved or changed skating in some drastic way.

So according Berra everyone should be proud for jagger Eaton winning an Olympic medal.
I don't think that being proud works like this if you haven't accomplished it by yourself.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #276 on: October 18, 2021, 01:17:46 PM »
Trent McClung at Tampa is what I would look like if I tried to wear baggy clothes.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 126
« Reply #277 on: October 18, 2021, 01:37:58 PM »
I wanna talk to this dude

That's jaws, isn't he?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #278 on: October 18, 2021, 01:42:47 PM »
Also the that borra reaction and the challenge the secret tape made, will be the highlight for sure.

Isn't this the same guy who told everyone to shit on DC Shoes? lol

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #279 on: October 18, 2021, 01:56:43 PM »

Tom Green?
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #280 on: October 18, 2021, 02:01:22 PM »
Listening to spot announcers during “skategoats” run also confirms that’ll I’ll never buy the “stanceless” schtick even if Rodney mullen supports it.

He also seems super cocky about it like “yay I’m changing skating I’m the Micheal Jordan” and then kicks his board at the end of his run during semi finals. The micro aggressions don’t go un noticed, Steve Berra dumped gas on u spot lit the fire  Cariuma= Ben shapiro

Skategoat actually does skate transition primarily goofy-footed tho.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1405
« Reply #281 on: October 18, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »

Hypebeast rickety cricket

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #282 on: October 18, 2021, 02:15:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Tampa being one of the most well known skate contests, why don't more companies try and help out? Throw some fucking banners up and add some cash towards the prizes. It's a shame that every year it seems like there's less and less. The walls were littered with Cariuma and Monster, with some additional NHS brands sprinkled in.
[close]

You want the walls to look like this again? Then we as skateboarders collectively need to support core brands again. We all let the big sports brands in, the only way to change it is put your money where your mouth is and spend it on core brands again. As long as the money/ad revenue keeps pouring in on them the more they'll be sticking around.

I do much prefer this to last weekend and agree with your sentiment. Love that there's Slap, Thrasher, and Big Brother stickers all on the same wall too.

Joslin's definitely got a high level of neanderthal DNA but I appreciate his caveman approach to contests; find the biggest thing to gap and fuck it up. I really can't imagine launching any trick that far, especially something backside and it's pretty insane how consistent he's gotten with that stuff. Axel's runs were fun too, good break from all the (albeit amazing) tech shit going on. Feel like every run Decenzo had Sunday started huge but halfway through just fell apart entirely, bummer.

I get the people saying it's not quite the same but I still love Tampa pro. I love Copenhagen and the dime events too but Tampa's great because you can always expect the skating to be on a ridiculous level; the partying's still there but it doesn't entirely bleed into the comp as much as with Copenhagen (except when manchild shows up). The level of the skating in the semi's/finals this year was incredible. It's pretty cool that Tampa pro kinda grew to it's prominence naturally, in an unsuspecting area of the country too; makes it unique.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #283 on: October 18, 2021, 02:17:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How does he do the loop “primarily” footed tho? Or bomb a hill for blocks in sf… or a 900??? Oh wait those are tricks that we can add to the long list of shit he hasn’t done.

I’m not totally hating on the guy he’s talented for sure his frontside Ollie’s on transitions look unique but you’re telling me when he FIRST started skating he was doing everything equally??

I don’t follow the berrics but when did the “stanceless” claim start for him?

Was he on deathwish like, “hey Erik look I can do every trick in every possible stance equally!!!” And then they didn’t put him on fast enough so he went to Steve Berra and had all these companies made up to rush him into the fast lane for pro???

My curiosity has reached too far now I wanna know the guys back story fuck

Mariatorresflores

• Rep: -94
« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Of goat boy I'd say that to me he looks like he probably started transition skating a good bit after street skating. Wacky hypothesis incoming:
On transition I can imagine someone intentionally learning rolling up switch and rolling down regular first because it's less scary then trying to learn rolling back out fakie. He could of just stuck with that and now is using it as a gimmick.

Expand Quote

[close]
Tom Green?

I think the previous slapper who said Spike Jonze might be on to something. That or possibly Nathaniel Hornblower himself.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2021, 02:50:43 PM »
I bet he listens to Obituary

Grind King Rims

« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »

3:46:30, he had one bail in his run but I'd still rank it way higher than Shane's run.

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »

anthonym

• Rep: -21
« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2021, 04:06:53 PM »
3:46:30, he had one bail in his run but I'd still rank it way higher than Shane's run.

I dont see how people think this? Netsuke didn't get robbed, he just didn't do as hard of tricks. I was bored on my lunch so I went through all 3 runs of each and wrote down some stats... Basically, Shane did more tricks in his run (before time), most of his were switch/nollie, and most involved a flip into/out of grinds, and he didn't fall. Kairi had a great run, but fell once and only did 1 trick nollie (no switch). He did 3 more amazing tricks way after time, and while thats cool, they don't count. Again, Kairi didn't get robbed.

I marked when they did something on the coping, and when they stepped off their board to just drop back in at the same spot or relocated to a different area of the park. The exception to that rule being stepping off on the big roll in to setup and roll back on.

Shane O'Neil
Run 2: (**Best Run**)
Total Tricks: 8
Tricks involving nollie/switch: 6
Tricks with flips into/out of grinds: 4
Times off board to relocate: 1
Falls: 0

1. big spin front board to fakie
2. crook nollie flip on hubba
* axel stall
3. nollie heelflip back lip to fakie down rail
* Gets off board and relocates
4. 360flip over pyramid
5. switch 360flip over pyramid
* fakie disaster
6. Nollie crook down hubba
7. switch big flip front board to reg
8. switch back tail on ledge

* After Time
    1. nollie flip back nose slide

Kairi Netsuke
Total Tricks: 7 (1 fall)
Tricks involving nollie/switch: 1
Tricks with flip into/out of grinds: 4 (1 fall)
Falls: 1

Run 1 (**Best Run**):
1. gap back lip on pyramid
* axel stall/short 50-50
2. front crook flat bar
3. heelflip front board
4. x - half cab heelfip nose slide (falls)
* Relocates to other side of park
5. heel flip front crook on hubba
* axel stall
6. nollie inward heel late bs 180
7. heel flip gap back lip on pyramid

* After time runs out
    1. Bigflip over pyramid
    2. crook nollie flip on ledge
    3. tailslide heelflip to fakie on ledge
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 04:19:51 PM by anthonym »
R.I.P. Boardertown - Oakland, CA

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2021, 05:31:48 PM »
Can we get a side-to-side breakdown of Busenitz's run vs. Shane's?

Would be cool to get all of the winning runs over the years broken down like that and be able to see changes in trick selection, judging criteria, etc over time.

If you were a smart sponsored skater, you could use that info to help craft your runs at various contests.

Hmmmm

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2021, 05:50:33 PM »

TheFandangler

• Rep: 15
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2021, 06:01:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I dont see how people think this? Netsuke didn't get robbed, he just didn't do as hard of tricks. I was bored on my lunch so I went through all 3 runs of each and wrote down some stats... Basically, Shane did more tricks in his run (before time), most of his were switch/nollie, and most involved a flip into/out of grinds, and he didn't fall. Kairi had a great run, but fell once and only did 1 trick nollie (no switch). He did 3 more amazing tricks way after time, and while thats cool, they don't count. Again, Kairi didn't get robbed.

I marked when they did something on the coping, and when they stepped off their board to just drop back in at the same spot or relocated to a different area of the park. The exception to that rule being stepping off on the big roll in to setup and roll back on.

Shane O'Neil
Run 2: (**Best Run**)
Total Tricks: 8
Tricks involving nollie/switch: 6
Tricks with flips into/out of grinds: 4

1. big spin front board to fakie
2. crook nollie flip on hubba
* axel stall
3. nollie heelflip back lip to fakie down rail
4. 360flip over pyramid
5. switch 360flip over pyramid
* fakie disaster
6. Nollie crook down hubba
7. switch big flip front board to reg
8. switch back tail on ledge

* After Time
    1. nollie flip back nose slide

Kairi Netsuke
Total Tricks: 7 (1 fall)
Tricks involving nollie/switch: 1
Tricks with flip into/out of grinds: 4 (1 fall)
Falls: 1

Run 1 (**Best Run**):
1. gap back lip on pyramid
* axel stall/short 50-50
2. front crook flat bar
3. heelflip front board
4. x - half cab heelfip nose slide (falls)
* Relocates to other side of park
5. heel flip front crook on hubba
* axel stall
6. nollie inward heel late bs 180
7. heel flip gap back lip on pyramid

* After time runs out
    1. Bigflip over pyramid
    2. crook nollie flip on ledge
    3. tailslide heelflip to fakie on ledge

I think most people meant he got robbed in the sense that he should have made the podium.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2021, 06:35:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
10 years ago:

Now:

A step forward or a step back?
[close]

theyre 2 different things.  busenitz's run is flat out, barely holding on, but in the best way possible.  whereas shane's run is so well executed, it's almost less exciting because of it, but when you look closer at it it's fucking wild
[close]
This run felt neutered. Ishod's golden ticket run from 2013 is perhaps my favorite usage of skill at a contest. Fast, loose, unapologetically spontaneous. Shane reminds me of a guy who is too good with a tech deck, utterly soulless

I think part of it is here is that Shane and a lot of other comp regs for that part too seem to rely on a lot of the same tricks for every comp that comes around as they know better than most what tricks will score well, after a while some of those tricks lose their wow factor despite how ridiculously difficult they may be.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »
It's hard for anyone to fuck with the flow of a Busenitz run.

sebastian

• Rep: -16
« Reply #294 on: October 18, 2021, 10:50:31 PM »

Was just about to say, these runs are pretty shit compared to the all holy Busenitz run. They need to start giving penalties for every time people step of their boards.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2021, 01:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was just about to say, these runs are pretty shit compared to the all holy Busenitz run. They need to start giving penalties for every time people step of their boards.

I'm pretty sure we first need to run the numbers on this one to ACTUALLY verfiy this sentiment empirically.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2021, 07:02:24 AM »
I remember a year when a drunk Phelps was walking around ripping Transworld banners off the wall.

quackquack

• Rep: -423
« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2021, 07:22:56 AM »
Dude really flew all the way from Australia to Florida, to do the same three tricks he does in every contest AND a bigspin board?

I encourage the return of his old nickname, 'Nugget', for being such a turd.

Oh, the places you'll go.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #298 on: October 19, 2021, 07:44:32 AM »
i mean he flew from LA to Florida actually so i dont think its that big of a deal

anthonym

• Rep: -21
« Reply #299 on: October 19, 2021, 08:17:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Busenitz stepped off his board the same amount of times in his run that Shane and Netsuke did. They all did it once in their runs. Busenitz's run was awesome because of the flow, speed, and power of his tricks. He also packed in about twice as many tricks in his run. (This is counting his stuff on the coping because he did actual tricks rather than just axel stalls to turn around)

Dennis Busenitz

Total Tricks: 15
Switch/Nollie Tricks: 2
Flip in/flip out grinds: 1
Step off board: 1

1. kickflip over pyramic
2. front 50-50 around bend
3. front blunt up inclined ledge
4. front disaster
5. front 180 fakie manual down inclined ledge/pad
6. switch flip down stairs