Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 214513 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4380 on: December 10, 2023, 09:25:29 PM »
I was thinking of just saying I got RSV or COVID.    Just coughing my arm until they let me go home.

Or I was just going to say lawyer only
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #4381 on: December 11, 2023, 12:19:14 AM »
Man the jury system over there is fucked. Justice should be left to professionals only.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4382 on: December 11, 2023, 10:16:48 AM »
Street League should implement jury duty system

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4383 on: December 11, 2023, 11:01:29 AM »
Street League should implement jury duty system

I agree

Today sucked. They want me to drive back tomorrow. Its impossible
(A)pl(E)

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 65
« Reply #4384 on: December 11, 2023, 11:45:25 AM »

What are the teeth on this tool for?  I had this sitting around for a long time.  It came with some hardware.  The wrench side reminds me of an old school skate key.  The little saw part?  No clue.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 50
« Reply #4385 on: December 11, 2023, 12:09:03 PM »
Had jury duty a few months ago. Had to drive an hour, wait around for another hour to be told to come back in 3 hours. When I finally got into the courtroom they were screening jurors and I just happened to know one of the plaintiffs family members.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2243
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4386 on: December 11, 2023, 12:27:55 PM »

What are the teeth on this tool for?  I had this sitting around for a long time.  It came with some hardware.  The wrench side reminds me of an old school skate key.  The little saw part?  No clue.
The saw is a janky little grip tape file.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4387 on: December 11, 2023, 02:15:14 PM »
I was on a jury with a famous writer, but it ended up being settled before we really got going.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4388 on: December 11, 2023, 07:49:23 PM »
Yeah they never called me back.

They gave me a quiz about how I feel about convinced sex offenders. One who's been in prison for a grip too. I basically said he ain't getting out if I'm on that jury.

No fuckin way.

They probably wanna let him go. Probably a rat. The system loves a rapist. I seen it irl.

Those bastards get all their goodtime day one. Because they can't go to programs.

Bitches work for the fuckin state.

We just had a fucking rapist for a president
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4389 on: December 11, 2023, 09:13:55 PM »
sick you didn't have to serve...it was dope not working for a month, but nah....I wouldn't do it again.....

you soon sort of realize who can do jury duty and it's not always great from criminals....middle aged or older guys with decent jobs or more likely.....Karens.....

A judge at least understands the law....in 2023...you think a housewife is sympathetic? 

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4390 on: December 12, 2023, 01:25:58 PM »
Has a company ever done a LA Gear style light-up skate shoe?

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #4391 on: December 13, 2023, 01:22:04 PM »
Honest question, does anyone find Blazer mids to be very warm? Like I have never had such sweaty feet until I got this pair of them. There must be literally zero ventilation in these puppies.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4392 on: December 13, 2023, 01:32:23 PM »
sick you didn't have to serve...it was dope not working for a month, but nah....I wouldn't do it again.....

you soon sort of realize who can do jury duty and it's not always great from criminals....middle aged or older guys with decent jobs or more likely.....Karens.....

A judge at least understands the law....in 2023...you think a housewife is sympathetic?

Fereal.

I was not going to get paid tho because I don't irl. I been picking up moving jobs here and there I definitely could have werked that day tho.

Housewives should get double.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4393 on: December 13, 2023, 01:35:46 PM »
Honest question, does anyone find Blazer mids to be very warm? Like I have never had such sweaty feet until I got this pair of them. There must be literally zero ventilation in these puppies.

Speaking truth.

I took aul? All? Awl? To my second pair. Punching a few holes. Still didn't fix it.

Sick shoe but you gotta wear wool or good cotton sox.

If you're wearing a synthetic joint it's only a matter of time till you got the funk cracking up your shiny red feets
(A)pl(E)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4394 on: December 13, 2023, 11:23:08 PM »
Not at all, at least not in my experience. Also I don't live in a very warm place but still.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

oak leaf

• Rep: 56
« Reply #4395 on: December 14, 2023, 01:11:07 PM »
i dont know anyone who skates exclusively transition.

what im wondering is, if you never leave the bowl/mini, when do you replace your deck and why?

when youre skating street or flat its easy to notice the sogging out or the loss of pop.

obviously you replace it when it legit breaks lol

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4396 on: December 14, 2023, 02:43:22 PM »

what im wondering is, if you never leave the bowl/mini, when do you replace your deck and why?

when youre skating street or flat its easy to notice the sogging out or the loss of pop.

For some people, boards can still get really flexi without breaking, so in that way it is not all that different, pumping in big transition and feeling the tail mush out sort of thing is a good reason to change out a board.

Really though, boards can last a whole lot longer on mini ramps without crazy big decker type tricks, which are often board breakers through the middle, but then I have also seen some amazingly bad chips from people trying airs or similar and bailing and unwittingly flinging the board, chipping up and then needing to be swapped out sooner rather than later.

The boards I keep just for my mini ramp really get paint wear and nothing else, so from that, it is more when I get sick of them and change them out than anything else, so I have some of those boards still going for years, compared to other boards I skate everything on and are done in a month or so.

Some of the guys I know who have Powell Flight boards change the grip every few months and maybe epoxy the dings and keep those things going longer than anyone else I know, which is nuts, but they hold up a long time for those transition / half pipe / vert dudes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

diplodocus

• Rep: 159
  • long neck
« Reply #4397 on: December 14, 2023, 05:39:49 PM »

After i get bored of it. Jokes. Well not really. I skate mainly transition but I still bust out flatground seshes here and there. So my board gets more well rounded wear. But it’s mainly from it getting too flexy. That can happen anywhere between 1-2 months. Definitely not under a month. I’m also not the lightest dude.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4398 on: December 15, 2023, 03:00:58 AM »
I've been riding an OG Baker shape for the last couple of weeks, my first time skating anything remotely this mellow. I'm crazy inconsistent with it and can't really figure out why that is. I know we have a couple of flat board aficionados on here, can y'all tell me why you like it that way and what makes it work better for you than a steeper concave?

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #4399 on: December 15, 2023, 03:52:39 AM »
I've been riding an OG Baker shape for the last couple of weeks, my first time skating anything remotely this mellow. I'm crazy inconsistent with it and can't really figure out why that is. I know we have a couple of flat board aficionados on here, can y'all tell me why you like it that way and what makes it work better for you than a steeper concave?

the kicks are mellower, so closer to the ground, which makes it (imo) easier to pop, like it takes less work to pop a trick well because the tail hits quicker.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #4400 on: December 15, 2023, 06:49:19 AM »

Like anything, just takes some adjustment.

I like mellower boards because they are more comfortable to ride.

For flip tricks, I like that I can have my feet closer to Ollie position for most tricks vs. a steeper board.

Straight kickflips, for example, I imagine kicking off closer to the center of the nose on a flatter board.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4401 on: December 15, 2023, 01:17:24 PM »
Super mellow, flat boards take more effort (in a way) to skate. Basically, if the concave and kicks are mellower, you have to kick way harder to get the board to flip. Takes longer for your foot to catch the edge of the nose/tail to initiate a kickflip or heelflip, for example. With steeper (relative to flatter boards) concave/kicks, the flick is more responsive and doesn't need you to kick as hard as Bruce Lee because of the pronounced concave/kicks.

Neen, notorious for heelflips, did his ninja kick style partly because he was skating mellower boards. Most of the dudes with super extendo flicks on their flip tricks tend to skate mellower boards from what I've seen.

I think working on timing and foot placement for pop/flipping will help improve your consistency
Super Champion Fun Zone

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 811
« Reply #4402 on: December 15, 2023, 10:54:49 PM »
What happened to Thrasher 's "This old Ledge" videos on YouTube, I swear I read some where that Ted was filming more of them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4403 on: December 15, 2023, 11:10:50 PM »
Yeah my impression is he’s doing more….maybe NYC?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 811
« Reply #4404 on: December 16, 2023, 12:27:15 AM »
I thought so. The UN plaza video reminded me of that series. Hopefully they are just waiting for SOTY madness to settle.

lildonut92

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4405 on: December 16, 2023, 06:06:35 AM »
Older guys that skate vulcs, please tell me your secret. I skate cupsoles but only so that my feet and back don’t hurt.

Do y’all just be dealing with foot pain all the time or do you use some magic insoles?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4406 on: December 16, 2023, 08:05:46 AM »
What happened to Thrasher 's "This old Ledge" videos on YouTube, I swear I read some where that Ted was filming more of them.

They're splitting it into seasons, AFAIK. So season one was around SF, two will be in NYC, etc.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4407 on: December 16, 2023, 08:12:56 AM »
Older guys that skate vulcs, please tell me your secret. I skate cupsoles but only so that my feet and back don’t hurt.

Do y’all just be dealing with foot pain all the time or do you use some magic insoles?

43 and I skate primarily in vulcanized shoes. I don't use any magic insoles, usually just what was included with the shoe. I think the trick is to keep and maintain strong feet. I'm not particularly strong in other ways - I don't go to the gym or lift, nothing like that. I do a lot of standing, walking, hiking, cycling, and some running. I bring a lacrosse ball without me every time I skate and I spend 5-10 minutes rolling the ball around on my feet to stretch out the muscles. I warm up my ankles and feet with therabands almost every day, especially since I experience I really bad ankle roll a few years ago.

I think foot and ankle strength is pretty overlooked, but also I don't blame anyone who just opts for cupsoles.

lildonut92

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4408 on: December 16, 2023, 08:26:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

43 and I skate primarily in vulcanized shoes. I don't use any magic insoles, usually just what was included with the shoe. I think the trick is to keep and maintain strong feet. I'm not particularly strong in other ways - I don't go to the gym or lift, nothing like that. I do a lot of standing, walking, hiking, cycling, and some running. I bring a lacrosse ball without me every time I skate and I spend 5-10 minutes rolling the ball around on my feet to stretch out the muscles. I warm up my ankles and feet with therabands almost every day, especially since I experience I really bad ankle roll a few years ago.

I think foot and ankle strength is pretty overlooked, but also I don't blame anyone who just opts for cupsoles.

Yeah that’s probably what I should be doing. I miss vulcs.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2243
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4409 on: December 16, 2023, 12:27:45 PM »
Maybe this territory’s already been covered, but I’ve been thinking about turning some of these older sets of wheels (F4 99) that I’ve worn from 56 down to about 52mm into “little smokies” of a sort, like a 50mm classic shape or something, by turning/cutting them on a lathe.
Anybody already try this?
Thoughts?
Wondering how I’d rig a jig to cut a consistent sidewall profile.
I don’t know shit about machining, BTW.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?