Author Topic: Set-up OCD  (Read 14922 times)

carbonite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Set-up OCD
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
i'd rather set myself on fire than grip over the bolts

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2018, 12:59:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that's why I just grip over the bolts
[close]

Oh man, I was just talking about this with my coworker the other day. I just personally CAN'T cosign the practice of gripping over your bolts. That would be an absolute mindfuck for me. I need bolts showing to know where my feet are at setting up for most tricks. You are a beast if you can pull that grip-over-bolts madness!!
[close]
yes, but once you break through that barrier you don't have 8 little bolts worth of space on top of your board without grip-tape. You can also punch through the Allen key section only to give you an idea of where your bolts are ;)
with the tongue ? ^^

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2018, 03:20:29 AM »
my front truck has to be extremely loose, back truck is fairly tight.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2018, 07:09:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
that's why I just grip over the bolts
[close]

Oh man, I was just talking about this with my coworker the other day. I just personally CAN'T cosign the practice of gripping over your bolts. That would be an absolute mindfuck for me. I need bolts showing to know where my feet are at setting up for most tricks. You are a beast if you can pull that grip-over-bolts madness!!
[close]
yes, but once you break through that barrier you don't have 8 little bolts worth of space on top of your board without grip-tape. You can also punch through the Allen key section only to give you an idea of where your bolts are ;)
[close]
with the tongue ? ^^

sif you wouldn't :p

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
This made me laugh a little harder than it probably should have. thanks :)

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2018, 06:15:13 AM »
Can't set up a new deck if I'm not skating it right away.
Work/weather/family have a way of conspiring and if a new board has been sitting waiting too long i get bummed on it.
I'd rather grip it and set it up at the spot when I get there. OCD stuff is not supposed to make sense, right?
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2018, 08:30:39 AM »
-apply grip, then sand down edges with screwdriver. Cut at high incline to get the grip the way I like, a nice edge showing. If it comes out whack, I will and have gotten new grip. My nightmare.

-Indys: tighten 2 turns on front, 3 turns on back. For the last 20 years

And I get nuts if I get too much dirt on my grip, will clean that. Cuz I'll fixate on that spot and fuck up my foot placement

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
-apply grip, then sand down edges with screwdriver. Cut at high incline to get the grip the way I like, a nice edge showing. If it comes out whack, I will and have gotten new grip. My nightmare.

-Indys: tighten 2 turns on front, 3 turns on back. For the last 20 years

And I get nuts if I get too much dirt on my grip, will clean that. Cuz I'll fixate on that spot and fuck up my foot placement

I don't regrip if I fuck up but man I get real pissed about a fucked up new grip job...so much so that I will go out and kflip to rock n roll in hopes of fucking it up more so I can let it go ;)

Mobkickflipper

• Rep: -1
  • is this real or is this really real ?
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »
The only thing i really care is black grip and nothing else, once a friend wrote something on it with a white marker and i wanted to bet him to death.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2018, 02:51:37 PM »
The only thing i really care is black grip and nothing else, once a friend wrote something on it with a white marker and i wanted to bet him to death.

A friend drew a dick on my grip tape once, it was subtle but still it fucked me up so bad I just had to change decks right away even though that one was only a few sessions in. Out of all my friends who were there I still don't know who did it.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »
skater OCD is so 2004

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »
"the madness"
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
i have none and i dont know if i feel lucky or sad. maybe its why i suck.

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
A few more things I remembered setting up a fresh deck last night.

Allen hardware 7/8 only has to be flush
 Cross pattern tightening only spinning the nut so the grip doesn't twist and it's just the right way to tighten I feel like

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »
Never really thought about this stuff, turns out i care about my set up more than i would like to admit.

No Indy's.

No Mob grip(too sticky)

No stickers.

No made in China decks.

Wheel graphics facing in.

7/8" Hardware.

Raw trucks, cast plates.

Recently found out that wheelbases over 14.25" does my fucking head in.

Mobkickflipper

• Rep: -1
  • is this real or is this really real ?
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2018, 04:44:42 PM »
skater OCD is so 2004
early 2000s were wonderful

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 549
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2018, 05:39:02 PM »
Adding to my list of OCD problems, I’ve been going back and forth between wanting to skate with a rial lately, and constant installing/removing has left holes all down the left side, which is bugging me enough that I wanna leave that board at the park

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2018, 06:39:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This made me laugh a little harder than it probably should have. thanks :)
wait until you get so OCD that you think bolts showing through your griptape = less overall grip and then tell me how much you'll laugh :(

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

BMCsteve

• Rep: 56
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2018, 09:36:55 AM »
Just realized another one as I was setting up some new wheels - the washers need to be facing the correct way for optimal bearing contact

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2018, 11:20:12 AM »
Black Jessup grip ONLY. I accept no substitutions. I've been riding Jessup for 20 years, I've tried: Iron Horse, Black Magic, Diamond, Mob, and some others... and i don't like any of them. Jessup forever. If there's only colored grip or no Jessup available, guess I'm not skating today and I probably won't be back to your shop.

Wheel graphics on the inside with popped shields. I change them when they're piss yellow, even if they're still in good shape.

All black Allen bolts, with one colored bolt on the bottom left of my front trucks. New board = new hardware. (my local shop always gives me free bolts anyways.)

Only one sticker makes it on my board, on the nose, always. It's gotta be my local shop's sticker, or it's not going on.

Chip on nose or tail ? New board. Don't care how big it is, that shit psychs me out. I usually give it to a kid at the park or keep it in the trunk should a friend need it. I can afford boards, so it's not a problem for me.

Front truck has to be a tad looser than the back one. I ride them fairly loose, but I've ditched the wobbly-loose shit because my tricks were getting harder and harder to land. Has to be juuuuust tight enough so that I can't move the washers with my fingers.

Raw/silver trucks, always. The only color/graphic I accept is the Venture logo on the hangar.

When changing boards, I never rotate my trucks. Front truck will always be the front truck from one board to another.

Small razorblade for cutting my grip, I never use a box cutter, I feel like I have more control with a small blade. NO ONE puts my grip tape on for me.

No red or blue tops.

Guess that's about it.

exiled

• Rep: 0
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2018, 02:29:28 PM »
Black Jessup grip ONLY. I accept no substitutions. I've been riding Jessup for 20 years, I've tried: Iron Horse, Black Magic, Diamond, Mob, and some others... and i don't like any of them. Jessup forever. If there's only colored grip or no Jessup available, guess I'm not skating today and I probably won't be back to your shop.

Wheel graphics on the inside with popped shields. I change them when they're piss yellow, even if they're still in good shape.

All black Allen bolts, with one colored bolt on the bottom left of my front trucks. New board = new hardware. (my local shop always gives me free bolts anyways.)

Only one sticker makes it on my board, on the nose, always. It's gotta be my local shop's sticker, or it's not going on.

Chip on nose or tail ? New board. Don't care how big it is, that shit psychs me out. I usually give it to a kid at the park or keep it in the trunk should a friend need it. I can afford boards, so it's not a problem for me.

Front truck has to be a tad looser than the back one. I ride them fairly loose, but I've ditched the wobbly-loose shit because my tricks were getting harder and harder to land. Has to be juuuuust tight enough so that I can't move the washers with my fingers.

Raw/silver trucks, always. The only color/graphic I accept is the Venture logo on the hangar.

When changing boards, I never rotate my trucks. Front truck will always be the front truck from one board to another.

Small razorblade for cutting my grip, I never use a box cutter, I feel like I have more control with a small blade. NO ONE puts my grip tape on for me.

No red or blue tops.

Guess that's about it.
I agree about the jessup and the razor blade. I do the one colored bolt but it's on the back truck and in the top right closest to the nose. I really like the bronze 56k hardware with all black bolts with a single copper one... I have like 20 packs of the 1in allen. Front and rear truck always stay in their respective positions from board to board.

Wheel graphics on the inside... spacers and speed rings with the axle nuts tightened all the way down for maximum speed.

Bones bushings; hard boardside, medium roadside and set to max out just before wheelbite. Front slightly looser.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
Just realized another one as I was setting up some new wheels - the washers need to be facing the correct way for optimal bearing contact

Haha, I do that shit too once I realized that they aren’t the same on both sides.  Sometimes it’s almost impossible to tell so I spend 5 minutes of my life that I’ll never get back rubbing my finger on both sides until I make a leap of faith and pick a side.

All that for something that makes no difference whatsoever.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2018, 06:45:26 PM »
Mob grip is the worst it's too thick so it doesn't fit as nicely into the concave as Jessup and Jessup cuts so much cleaner. Also mob always lifts up at the corners on the nose and tail especially if it's cold.

Bread-Roll

• Rep: -8
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »
Two colored bolts diagonal on the back help me stomp better.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2018, 09:10:32 PM »
- must do some sort of grip design, can't just be all black
I do this too. Plain black has always been bad luck for me, at the very least I gotta cut a line.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »
Mob grip is the worst it's too thick so it doesn't fit as nicely into the concave as Jessup and Jessup cuts so much cleaner. Also mob always lifts up at the corners on the nose and tail especially if it's cold.

Have you tried the M80?  I feel like that’s the cleanest cutting grip. M80>Jessup>regular mob. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you tried the M80?  I feel like that’s the cleanest cutting grip. M80>Jessup>regular mob.
Actually yes you are correct I stand corrected. I meant standard mob. M80 is really good as good or better than Jessup cuts nice and clean, it just usually costs more for some reason here than Jessup. Usually because the shop owner is unaware and says it's "the most grippy" cause it's mob brand. It has that little cutout too if you wanna take it out which I like.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

What kind of monster would rotate their trucks?

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2018, 10:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What kind of monster would rotate their trucks?

I feel like this and tightening your bolts in an X pattern would be more “best practices” than OCD. 

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
i have none and i dont know if i feel lucky or sad. maybe its why i suck.

Feel Lucky, I have many and I suck, so yeah there's that.

List of my shit:

Only use the nose for Nollie shit.
Any sings of warping, it's time for a new deck.
Trucks have to be at the same tightness/flush with kingpin.
Bolts have to be perfectly flush with board, can't be sunken in, and cant be sticking out in the slightest.
If I'm doing something where I know for sure I'll eat shit if I fuck up, I have to do some sort of knock/clap a couple times before each attempt.
Never do any flip tricks first session with a new deck.
1st session only do flat.
Grip can't just be all black.
Always buy 2 sheets of grip, just in case I fuck up with the 1st one horribly.