Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 372884 times)

thomas kook

Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #720 on: January 09, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
what you don't think rotting in jail sucks?

cloudy

« Reply #721 on: January 09, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »
any update on jesse? i heard they were holding him on a no bail bond.  i thought he was supposed to be arrainged at the beggining of January?

next court date is this friday at 9:00 a.m.

anyone living in the bay area wanna be the slap correspondent? jenkem sent a crew to pa to cover bam's house party. if you're a freelancer in sf, maybe you can get them to pick up your story?

http://apps.sfgov.org/InmateInfo/

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #722 on: January 09, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »
Expand Quote
any update on jesse? i heard they were holding him on a no bail bond.  i thought he was supposed to be arrainged at the beggining of January?
[close]

anyone living in the bay area wanna be the slap correspondent? jenkem sent a crew to pa to cover bam's house party. if you're a freelancer in sf, maybe you can get them to pick up your story?

I back this but its starting to become painfully obvious that skate media outlets, excluding Mackenzie's ig post, aren't going to touch this with a ten foot stick. If it doesn't sell a product and has the potential to burn bridges within the industry then they have almost no incentive to cover it. I hope they prove me wrong and step the fuck up though.

Surf-goth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -677
« Reply #723 on: January 09, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I back this but its starting to become painfully obvious that skate media outlets, excluding Mackenzie's ig post, aren't going to touch this with a ten foot stick. If it doesn't sell a product and has the potential to burn bridges within the industry then they have almost no incentive to cover it. I hope they prove me wrong and step the fuck up though.

Maybe jenkem. I mean , they did write about the neal hendrix thing.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #724 on: January 09, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
what you don't think rotting in jail sucks?

He's probably getting laid a lot.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #725 on: January 09, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

While I understand the frustration, I completely get why Thrasher isn't going anywhere near this. Now, I think they would avoid it even if they weren't potentially liable, but in the current situation, it'd be insane to have anything on record. They are the richest entity that has any potential of liability in this case, and therefore are the ones who they would target. It's not like you are going to be able to take much money off of Jesse, Pizza skateboards or GX1000.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #726 on: January 09, 2019, 06:52:33 PM »
Similar charges almost got me significant time in prison.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #727 on: January 09, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
While I understand the frustration, I completely get why Thrasher isn't going anywhere near this. Now, I think they would avoid it even if they weren't potentially liable, but in the current situation, it'd be insane to have anything on record. They are the richest entity that has any potential of liability in this case, and therefore are the ones who they would target. It's not like you are going to be able to take much money off of Jesse, Pizza skateboards or GX1000.

I highly doubt that High Speed has any liability in this situation. Unless someone from GX1000 is staff for High Speed.

The only issue could be X company is upset that Y magazine produced negative publicity about one of their (former) riders and stops advertising. However, since the skate media-is-pay-to-play, X company would have to be pretty confident that they and their riders could go without editorial coverage in Y mag.

Also, our discussion frames this all as, "the industry/editors/mags aren't allowing anyone to cover this," I really wonder if any writer has even pitched this idea. What skate "journalist" is going to wake up at 7AM, get to the court house at 8:00, sit around, take notes on the case, and then write something up?

There are only a handful of skate mag writers who I think are competent and thoughtful enough to even consider covering this. Most skate journalists simply write about x pro shitting his pants or something else  that barely requires any thought at all.

Finally, I can easily imagine an editor believing, "Yea, it is a good idea, but it is boring. None of our readers are going to care." (This isn't true, but I can imagine the editor believing this.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:04:02 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #728 on: January 09, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
Elaborate?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #729 on: January 09, 2019, 07:07:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Elaborate?

No

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #730 on: January 09, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I highly doubt that High Speed has any liability in this situation. Unless someone from GX1000 is staff for High Speed.

The only issue could be X company is upset that Y magazine produced negative publicity about one of their (former) riders and stops advertising. However, since the skate media-is-pay-to-play, X company would have to be pretty confident that they and their riders could go without editorial coverage in Y mag.

Also, our discussion frames this all as, "the industry/editors/mags aren't allowing anyone to cover this," I really wonder if any writer has even pitched this idea. What skate "journalist" is going to wake up at 7AM, get to the court house at 8:00, sit around, take notes on the case, and then write something up?

There are only a handful of skate mag writers who I think are competent and thoughtful enough to even consider covering this. Most skate journalists simply write about x pro shitting his pants or something else  that barely requires any thought at all.

Finally, I can easily imagine an editor believing, "Yea, it is a good idea, but it is boring. None of our readers are going to care." (This isn't true, but I can imagine the editor believing this.)
Tony Vitello was the executive producer on Roll Up. Pretty much all of Garshall's footage goes to Thrasher. I also wouldn't be surprised if Garshall is some sort of contractor to Thrasher. It can be argued they have promoted a culture of non-compliance.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:37:40 PM by DannyDee »

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #731 on: January 09, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
damn man, i'm tempted to go but i'm no journalist. someone should for sure go and just write up at least a report on it for the slap forum.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Surf-goth

« Reply #732 on: January 09, 2019, 08:11:54 PM »

Same. They threatened 2-10 years Texas state prison
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #733 on: January 09, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »
Tony Vitello was the executive producer on Roll Up. Pretty much all of Garshall's footage goes to Thrasher. I also wouldn't be surprised if Garshall is some sort of contractor to Thrasher. It can be argued they have promoted a culture of non-compliance.

What kind of legal liability does a film producer have (Stephen McClintock has the same credit in the video)? Do you think Vitello's producer credit was legit or a symbolic credit (as a thank you)?

It'll be interesting what happens after the criminal trial wraps up and the civil trials begin.

The more I think it about it the more I think this could be an interesting situation for a mag to cover like a legit organization would cover a similar event. I mean having someone just report what happened in court would be interesting, and an interview with a lawyer who could explain what the hell is happening and could happen in the future would be awesome.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

billy.pepperidge

• Rep: -17
« Reply #734 on: January 09, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How did you avoid it?

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #735 on: January 09, 2019, 09:29:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
How did you avoid it?
I'm telling the county jail you have internet access, Jesse

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Surf-goth

« Reply #736 on: January 10, 2019, 04:01:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
How did you avoid it?

My lawyer got me probation since it was my first serious offense

Edit : they also made me go to rehab
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:05:18 AM by Surf-goth »
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #737 on: January 10, 2019, 05:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
How did you avoid it?
[close]

My lawyer got me probation since it was my first serious offense

Edit : they also made me go to rehab

My case started to get problematic and fell apart for the DA. Witnesses changed stories, some plaintiffs became unreachable, some misconduct from the prosecution towards the court, and the detectives were more on my side. After about a year and tens of thousands of my dollars it was dismissed.

EastKremer

• Rep: -63
« Reply #738 on: January 10, 2019, 05:25:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
How did you avoid it?
[close]
I'm telling the county jail you have internet access, Jesse
I know its a serious legal trouble post and i hope good and justice to the skateboarder but that was a 9 club joke lol

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 981
  • the moon rules
« Reply #739 on: January 10, 2019, 05:29:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What kind of legal liability does a film producer have (Stephen McClintock has the same credit in the video)? Do you think Vitello's producer credit was legit or a symbolic credit (as a thank you)?

It'll be interesting what happens after the criminal trial wraps up and the civil trials begin.

The more I think it about it the more I think this could be an interesting situation for a mag to cover like a legit organization would cover a similar event. I mean having someone just report what happened in court would be interesting, and an interview with a lawyer who could explain what the hell is happening and could happen in the future would be awesome.
There’s very little precedent for a films executive producer being held accountable criminally(Midnight Rider), but producers get sued in civil cases when injuries happen during film production
fuck you bama

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #740 on: January 10, 2019, 05:35:34 AM »
No way any skate media is gonna report on this. No one would benefit from it, just risk burning bridges. There isn't a news outlet in skateboarding, it's all jokes mixed with a few subtle redbull chugs.

Have any of the seven other guys been identified and charged with anything yet?

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #741 on: January 10, 2019, 05:38:19 AM »
Has this been brought up? How and when was Jesse arrested? Was it on the spot or fleeing from it? Ratted out and took from his apartment via a warrant? Turn himself in? Weird 7 others got away who were also fighting but Jesse somehow the only one caught?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #742 on: January 10, 2019, 06:09:54 AM »
Has this been brought up? How and when was Jesse arrested? Was it on the spot or fleeing from it? Ratted out and took from his apartment via a warrant? Turn himself in? Weird 7 others got away who were also fighting but Jesse somehow the only one caught?

It happened on Thanksgiving and that image on the other page says he was booked December 10. He probably got a lawyer then turned himself in.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #743 on: January 10, 2019, 06:22:45 AM »
No way any skate media is gonna report on this. No one would benefit from it, just risk burning bridges. There isn't a news outlet in skateboarding, it's all jokes mixed with a few subtle redbull chugs.

Have any of the seven other guys been identified and charged with anything yet?

Obviously the police must know at this point who the others are. if Jesse gets all these heavy charges, I'm sure they've worked out by now who his friends were. I don't think the "I have no idea who they were, just met them" excuse is gonna run.

Fred Savage

« Reply #744 on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:40 AM »
Og poster appears to be a snitch

cloudy

« Reply #745 on: January 10, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »

although i generally agree with you, there have been a few exceptions. as has already been mentioned in this thread, mackenzie eisenhour, the associate editor at transworld, did post what he called a "PSA" on his instagram. in addition, skate newswire, the people that bring you the "mission statement" podcast, did publish this story on january 5 - https://skatenewswire.com/jesse-vieira-black-rock-security-guard-assault/.

although the skate newswire story is kind of "the-least-you-can-do"-type of story, it was all i really expected when i suggested that someone head to the court this friday to provide a recap. covering the story doesn't necessarily mean you have to provide your opinion on it, but i do understand that, as far as the skateboarding industry is concerned, simply providing an unbiased report on such a hot-button issue could constitute "bridge burning." all i was thinking is that it'd be nice if we didn't have to rely on abc7 or nbc bay area for updates on the case. (ridiculous that for the first couple stories we had to read "ABC7 News was the only crew on the scene.") plus, a skateboarder would be able to offer insight that these mainstream media outlets couldn't, such as who, if any, other skateboarders were in attendance. could maybe even get some pull quotes from jesse's friends, since they, understandably, seem very reticent to offer up any sound bites to the tv stations.

oh, and also some outlet by the name of boardstation.de put out this - http://www.boardstation.de/2018/12/19/jesse-vieira-pro-fahrer-wegen-schweren-angriff-auf-sf-security-guard-in-haft-keine-kaution/. not sure how big these guys are in germany, but at least it's something.

edit: now seeing that the nine club donated to dan jansen's gofundme. good on them. maybe that's not skate media "reporting" on the issue, but it does demonstrate solidarity.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:29:14 AM by cloudy »

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #746 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »
They brought it up on The Nine Club Experience, talked about Dan and his injury, mentioned Jesse, said there was no available video to watch and the court probably had it sealed or something stupid. Kelly says something like "That kickflip 5050 though." Then Chris Roberts goes on to say some two sides to every story shit.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2546
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #747 on: January 10, 2019, 08:04:17 AM »
They brought it up on The Nine Club Experience, talked about Dan and his injury, mentioned Jesse, said there was no available video to watch and the court probably had it sealed or something stupid. Kelly says something like "That kickflip 5050 though." Then Chris Roberts goes on to say some two sides to every story shit.

Watson joked about this, but damn, parody is unnecessary with these idiots.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

UK TM

• Rep: -6
« Reply #748 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »
If this happened in the entertainment industry and swept under the rug by magazines/news outlets for risk of burning bridges in this day and age, I'm pretty sure people would be outraged and think it was shity of those who swept it under the rug?
Might piss a couple of advertisers off but not reporting it might make people think you're a bit weak and not relevant if you don't report something like this?
Any brand pissed off about someone reporting on that whole thing maybe needs to realise the severity of it and the effect on the guys life & family for the rest of his life before being pissed of about a mag reporting about it. It's not a reflection of a brand, 1 rider doesn't make a brand and it's not like they're going to condone it themselves.

Get the strap

« Reply #749 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »

You got a time stamp on when they discuss the incident? I've only skimmed through the Mid 90's once but your rehash of the 9 Club sounds like it could be in the Mid 90s script.