Author Topic: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock  (Read 376229 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Security guard beaten at SF Black Rock
« Reply #1470 on: May 06, 2019, 01:27:07 PM »
Expand Quote
He got found guilty, sentenced to 8 years.
[close]

Holy shit, all things considered, he got off easy.

I recently read, Life Without Parole: Living and Dying in Prison Today. I don't know how anyone makes it more than a day or two in prison. It sounds like constant torture. Even the new pod prisons sound like hell.

I wonder which prison they are going to send him to and how he is going to carry those years.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #1471 on: May 06, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »
I just made that 8 years thing up, thought somebody would have called bullshit by now lol
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #1472 on: May 06, 2019, 01:34:27 PM »
I just made that 8 years thing up, thought somebody would have called bullshit by now lol

Word, well played.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

sms_b

« Reply #1473 on: May 06, 2019, 01:54:27 PM »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1474 on: May 06, 2019, 02:04:36 PM »

You don't deserve to be named after a delicious sandwich or a rad cat. Boo to you.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #1475 on: May 06, 2019, 04:58:20 PM »
No furthur court dates listed now.

Artvandeskate

• Rep: -15
« Reply #1476 on: May 06, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »
damn im so interested it was the final court date today right?

breakingthewaves

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1477 on: May 06, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
if the jury has been deliberating for three full days on this, anything could happen. sf chronicle said the case wrapped last wednesday. the verdict of this case will definitely be newsworthy, so we should know right away when it's announced.
You and your fucking radio

papo

• Rep: -191
« Reply #1478 on: May 07, 2019, 12:15:16 PM »
Is there a time limit by when they need to have a verdict?

breakingthewaves

« Reply #1479 on: May 07, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »

no i think they can just go on and on debating with each other. they can eventually find him guilty or not guilty. or if they are hopelessly deadlocked, they will say they can't make a decision and it forces a mistrial. he would then need to be tried again (whole new trial). the state will then decide if they will try him again, it is not automatic. do i have this correct?

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1480 on: May 07, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no i think they can just go on and on debating with each other. they can eventually find him guilty or not guilty. or if they are hopelessly deadlocked, they will say they can't make a decision and it forces a mistrial. he would then need to be tried again (whole new trial). the state will then decide if they will try him again, it is not automatic. do i have this correct?

Sounds like the issue is more complex than what we think about who was absolutely in the wrong

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #1481 on: May 07, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

pretty much

no life

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1482 on: May 07, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sounds like the issue is more complex than what we think about who was absolutely in the wrong
and it only took 53 pages

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1483 on: May 07, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
pretty much

Gonna trust FS-OverKOOK on this one solely based on their avatar.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

doyle

• Rep: 214
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #1485 on: May 07, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »
wow holy shit! I thought he was headed up river for sure. the unseen GX footage must have worked.

thomas kook

« Reply #1486 on: May 07, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
Just the phrase "will walk free". Wow, can't believe it. Get ready for the civil trial.

civil trial? i'm very uneducated, but there can be two trials? like, one from the police because you did a bad thing, and now another one from the family of the security guard? i guess i just explained it to myself

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #1487 on: May 07, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Just the phrase "will walk free". Wow, can't believe it. Get ready for the civil trial.
[close]

civil trial? i'm very uneducated, but there can be two trials? like, one from the police because you did a bad thing, and now another one from the family of the security guard? i guess i just explained it to myself

It would be the family that filed a civil suit. They typically do that to recoup money paid for health care or they can even sue because the security guard can no longer work. So they could ask for an endless amount really cause there is no telling how much he could have made in salary had he kept the ability to work.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

breakingthewaves

« Reply #1488 on: May 07, 2019, 05:07:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this looks like a lengthy trial with also a reasonably long deliberation. he'll walk free for now, but they can retry if they want. however they will need to think about whether it will result in another mistrial, or if they have a reasonable chance of winning on a retrial considering taxpayer expense. or they may wait for more evidence so they have a stronger chance of winning. but in this sort of case i don't think more evidence will come to light. but the possibility of another trial will always hang over his head.

the civil trial is where the family can sue for damages in a non criminal trial. oj was famously found guilty in his civil trial and then moved to florida where he was able to avoid paying the families the damages. i don't know what kind of chance this civil trial has. it sounds to me like the multiple angles were pretty inconclusive.

Artvandeskate

• Rep: -15
« Reply #1489 on: May 07, 2019, 05:20:21 PM »
count this one as a win for skateboarding, with all the shitty stuff that has been happening lately this is so awesome!

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #1491 on: May 07, 2019, 05:32:14 PM »
Can't he still be re-tried? Not sure if prosecutors will think it is worthwhile, but he isn't home-free yet, as it seems the mistrial was called due to being hopelessly deadlocked.

breakingthewaves

« Reply #1492 on: May 07, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »
i don't know if anybody wins here. but i do hope that jesse vieira gets back on a board and moves on with his life, as much as this has invariably changed him.

i can only imagine what the jansen family is going through, and how they will ever find closure.

interested to see how this all plays out. epic thread too.

deadlocked six six. wow

breakingthewaves

« Reply #1493 on: May 07, 2019, 05:38:10 PM »
Can't he still be re-tried? Not sure if prosecutors will think it is worthwhile, but he isn't home-free yet, as it seems the mistrial was called due to being hopelessly deadlocked.

he can be retried, it will be up to the prosecution to re-try or dismiss the charges.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #1494 on: May 07, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1495 on: May 07, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »
count this one as a win for skateboarding, with all the shitty stuff that has been happening lately this is so awesome!

you can fuck right off.

this is not a 'win' for skateboarding
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

breakingthewaves

« Reply #1496 on: May 07, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
skateboarding media needed to cover and discuss this way, way better than it did.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #1497 on: May 07, 2019, 06:40:46 PM »
skateboarding media needed to cover and discuss this way, way better than it did.

What even is skateboarding media these days?
(Really tho.)
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #1498 on: May 07, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »
Pretty surprised by this, I imagine the prosecusion framing to the jury of these punk skateboarers who shouldn't have been there and this poor security guard just doing his job and almost killed because of it would be a pretty tough hurdle to overcome, there must have been at least some decent exculpatory evidence

Get the strap

« Reply #1499 on: May 07, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Mistrial-declared-in-trial-of-skateboarder-13827246.php?t=2621979a82

This article is worded better than the first one posted. Well lucky for him he's not going to serve anytime, for now at least. I still don't like the self entitled behavior of the gx crew, but I feel it's honestly tough to comment on anything since one of their friends died. I think the moral of the story is life is too precious.

It's weird he never was charged with trespassing or any other lesser charges in the first place. The gx1000 angle must be crazy to watch, because I just rewatched the surveillance footage and now knowing the legal outcome, I still can't see the self defense. There was a news story earlier this year of some kids who were laughing at someone who was splashing in the water, but really the person was drowning, and they died. Apparently no one has a legal obligation to help someone who is dieing in public, you can walk away apparently. That's a trip the security guard was the attacker.