Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread  (Read 144765 times)

Trash_Eater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • It's ok to eat your own cum
Re: Woodshop Directory 2019 Thread
« Reply #630 on: December 09, 2019, 11:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody know the deal as to if there is a spectrum of different quality boards coming out of one shop?

For example: went to my local shop and picked up an Ishod REAL deck, marked I (for top of stack i presume).
was considering some of the shop decks which the clerk said were pressed at the same factory BBS. the board was same width and length as the REAL deck (8.3 x32) but felt way heavier in your hand and clunky. even the shop dude agreed when he compared them...

I've gotten AWS boards too that seem to be heavier than REAL wood in the same size (8.25's)

maybe it works like food ordering systems for restaurants where they can order different grades of "organic" food. - so like some shittier wood or glue combo coming out of a prestigious shop...?
[close]

I recently had 2 of the same Antihero boards. One was noticeably thicker and heavier. I weighed them and it was indeed true. I have 2 of the same Krooked boards sitting here right now that are also much different.

https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1412045295767.gif

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #631 on: December 09, 2019, 11:42:47 PM »
From what I recall, the boards seemed to be not so hot....fine for some old school shit, but that's about it...

yeah once i heard in house pressed i lost all interest. no need to buy if i dont trust the wood
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #632 on: December 10, 2019, 01:19:11 AM »
who presses muta skateboards?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #633 on: December 10, 2019, 03:14:46 AM »
who presses muta skateboards?

Double, Triple sometimes Quad post woodshop

Have you heard of them?
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #634 on: December 10, 2019, 05:26:01 AM »
I need some advice on a new board.
Never really knew about the diffrences between brands before coming here. Been riding a 8-9” something pooldeck back and forth for 10 years.

Got a 8.5 x 32 Popsicle, felt just as wide as the old deck. Got a 8.125 to try the smallest size my trucks would allow and its a tad to narrow. Noticed this one was shorter also.

At 6.5’ I think a little longer wheelbase would be nice. I wanna get a 8.25 or 8.38 with a 32 something wheelbase as aces shortened the wb.

What are you tall guys with 11.5+ shoe size riding?

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #635 on: December 10, 2019, 06:10:34 AM »
Never really knew about the diffrences between brands before coming here. Been riding a 8-9” something pooldeck back and forth for 10 years.

Got a 8.5 x 32 Popsicle, felt just as wide as the old deck. Got a 8.125 to try the smallest size my trucks would allow and its a tad to narrow. Noticed this one was shorter also.

At 6.5’ I think a little longer wheelbase would be nice. I wanna get a 8.25 or 8.38 with a 32 something wheelbase as aces shortened the wb.

You may wanna try out a Real deck. The 8.25 decks that have a 32 length and a 14 3/8 wheelbase are great. Anti-Hero and Krooked also with the same dimensions, seeing theyre all Deluxe brands. But im only 5.8', so you could maybe try one of their 8.38 decks also.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #636 on: December 10, 2019, 07:17:12 AM »
This is what I was going to say....anything DLX or is pressed by generator tend to have wheelbases over 14.25, I think 917 runs some even longer and if you poke around I bet something DLX would have something good too. 

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #637 on: December 10, 2019, 07:35:25 AM »
Don't know how to embed. Could someone do that please?

4 hours of the Professor curing your madness. Totally worked for me. Completely. 100%. Next deck I buy won't involve a maddening search for wheelbase and tail dimensions. Then second guessing my wheel size. Cast or forged baseplates

Extra treat?
Screenshot 3:37:45

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #638 on: December 10, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »

4 hours of the Professor curing your madness. Totally worked for me. Completely. 100%. Next deck I buy won't involve a maddening search for wheelbase and tail dimensions. Then second guessing my wheel size. Cast or forged baseplates

Extra treat?

Genuinely curious. I’ve not had a chance to listen but what made it help you out with the dimensional madness we seem to have. I want a cure!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #639 on: December 10, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
I was eating it in Spotify but I stopped, I needed to see it. I'm on 1:15:00 and I'm loving it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #640 on: December 10, 2019, 08:37:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You may wanna try out a Real deck. The 8.25 decks that have a 32 length and a 14 3/8 wheelbase are great. Anti-Hero and Krooked also with the same dimensions, seeing theyre all Deluxe brands. But im only 5.8', so you could maybe try one of their 8.38 decks also.

The 8.25" Full has a 14.5" wheelbase. Only tried one briefly but it felt super nice. If you want longer still, the 8.38" full has a 14.62" wheelbase. Both have shortish tails though. Be sure to get the Fulls, not Full SE (Short Edition).

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #641 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:31 PM »
just got this cheap DGK deck and noticed this little glitches on the wood.
anyone know if they are some kind of price point decks?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:47:46 PM by EAT PUSSY! »

Kevve

« Reply #642 on: December 10, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The 8.25" Full has a 14.5" wheelbase. Only tried one briefly but it felt super nice. If you want longer still, the 8.38" full has a 14.62" wheelbase. Both have shortish tails though. Be sure to get the Fulls, not Full SE (Short Edition).

Thanks, dont know if i can find a real board here in sweden. There should be plenty of deluxe boards tho!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #643 on: December 10, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks, dont know if i can find a real board here in sweden. There should be plenty of deluxe boards tho!

Yet to be disappointment by DLX boards, been trying loads of boards over the years and while they take some getting used to in terms of length and WB, they have a great shape and keep their pop for a long time. Paired them with some Thunder 148, would work with 147s too, and the pop feel was solid. Attribute this combination to getting my kickflips back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

satan

« Reply #644 on: December 10, 2019, 08:48:21 PM »

They look like knots in the wood and shouldn't affect the strength when used for the inner plies
Think BBS and Powell talk about this in their factory tour vids
But gotta ask.. did a piece fall out? That'd annoy me

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #645 on: December 10, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »
I'm interested in Western Edition.  I know they're PS Stix, but has anyone ever had one of their decks before?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #646 on: December 10, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »

Those are small knots in the plys that have been burnished over. They should be no problem to the board. Smaller knots don't usually unseat themselves. I've had a few BBS boards with them that never presented an issue over the life of the deck. As far as price point? With that amount of stained plys I'd say it's not, but I'm not too knowledgable on DGK stuff.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #647 on: December 10, 2019, 09:48:21 PM »
I'm interested in Western Edition.  I know they're PS Stix, but has anyone ever had one of their decks before?

How old is western edition? 15 years? I had one about that long ago. They are a sick brand. The board was dope. Also have a t-shirt from the same era, only skate shirt I kept. Best graphics

satan

« Reply #648 on: December 10, 2019, 10:05:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Extra treat?
[close]

Genuinely curious. I’ve not had a chance to listen but what made it help you out with the dimensional madness we seem to have. I want a cure!
What?
You missed the part where he tells to how to pick out your ideal setup?
Gonna have to rewatch the whole thing

Nah, tbh it's all spread throughout the interview with him talking about physics and tuning to ppl's body type and skill level. What he says about Lee's wheelbase deserves some rambling but I think it'd involve talking about hip width and Q angles. Think it's Q angles..
And your *true* inseam, not the size pants you buy. What that's really trying to gauge is leg length from the ground to the pivot of your hip joint
If you're into math, physics, engineering this stuff shouldn't be groundbreaking but does serve as a great refresher and might even point out some stuff that you didn't think about. And hence the madness grows...

Was great for me cuz I got to see someone rabbitholing worse than me. I've measuring my wheels with calipers for decades and I'm just mildly curious
I've thought about using an angle finder like that to check assembled nose/tail angles but didn't wanna give into the madness
Also nice to know that the flexiness of modern boards is by design and not just cuz they got too thin. I don't recall Featherlights being weirdly flexy but I could def feel it with a Fiberlight
I wish he had talking more about concave and board strength. Everyone ignores that fact that some modern decks have spoon noses/tails and vexcave!

I love, love, love the Professor. Couldn't thank him enough cuz I absolutely loved PS Stix boards in the 90's. I'd skate them now but don't have any in the stack yet. And just listening to the history of what he's done amazes me. I can't believe how much he's done to improve skateboards. And it's frightening to think, "what if he'd never done all that for us?"
Thanks Professor!!!

That said I think there's a bit of a generational bias to what the Prof says. I was a grom in the late 80's, I can remember his Schmitt ad where he's riding a Yardstick and I think he's wearing a lab coat too. Guessing he was mid-twenties at the time? Early-twenties? He probably wasn't working on boned out melons or how may boards he could ollie, mobbed out fliptricks, etc. He would probably destroy me on transitions tomorrow but who couldn't?
So, ramp vs street.. old guard vs new school..

IMO, you don't need a *real* nose for a good ollie. Look at mid-80's Mullen footage before you argue that point..
What *I think* happening is you use the mass of the front truck as an "anchor point" and with your front foot in front of or over this mass you can leverage the back end up. Or you're just stopping the board's upward motion at the front while allowing it to continue at the back
Idk, maybe I'm not picturing the free body diagrams correctly. Totally open for discussion here..

And the thing with wheel shape.. I *think* he's talking about (polar moments of) inertia but the way he describes it makes it seem like he's referring to rebound (spring back) in the wheels affecting your flip. Kinda like how a tre is all in your back foot and the bushings help the flip. Or pressure flip..
Cuz the board being tippy when it's on the ground wouldn't affect a kickflip. Other than its lower moment of inertia cuz the wheels are lighter/skinner or set farther inwards. Been a minute since I had to talk geek, hope I doing ok

satan

« Reply #649 on: December 10, 2019, 10:11:12 PM »
Expand Quote
who presses for madrid?
[close]

Madrid

https://www.madridskateboards.com/pages/madrid-skateboards-our-history

Expand Quote
Today, we're still turning out skateboards from our Huntington Beach factory with the belief that boards should be crafted to perfection and guaranteed to perform.
[close]
Anyone skate those old Flip decks with the rippled bottoms? Think it was late-90's
I'm pretty sure those were pressed by Madrid and called New Wave Construction. Madrid had vids in the early-2010's advertising it but I didn't see any brands except Madrid using it

And looking thru that site I saw some trucks that might trigger someone's wheelbase madness
You see those?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #650 on: December 10, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »
And the thing with wheel shape.. I *think* he's talking about (polar moments of) inertia but the way he describes it makes it seem like he's referring to rebound (spring back) in the wheels affecting your flip. Kinda like how a tre is all in your back foot and the bushings help the flip. Or pressure flip..
Cuz the board being tippy when it's on the ground wouldn't affect a kickflip. Other than its lower moment of inertia cuz the wheels are lighter/skinner or set farther inwards. Been a minute since I had to talk geek, hope I doing ok

The way I understood wheel shape as he was talking about it was how easy it is to initiate the flip.  To take it to the limits - picture one setup with very square edge like a Spitfire Tablet and another that is super round like an OJ Little Doodies.  I think what he is saying is that the round wheel will tip easier into a flip because the board basically rolls over the edge radius.  On a square wheel it tips instead of rolling which means the board actually needs to lift more and it takes more effort.   Super subtle stuff.

satan

« Reply #651 on: December 11, 2019, 12:09:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The way I understood wheel shape as he was talking about it was how easy it is to initiate the flip.  To take it to the limits - picture one setup with very square edge like a Spitfire Tablet and another that is super round like an OJ Little Doodies.  I think what he is saying is that the round wheel will tip easier into a flip because the board basically rolls over the edge radius.  On a square wheel it tips instead of rolling which means the board actually needs to lift more and it takes more effort.   Super subtle stuff.
I think I get what you're saying with the square wheel tipping more quickly vs a larger radius edge.
To put it another way the change in angle (in the roll axis) would be quicker, jerkier, with the squarer wheel. I imagine it like a smaller radius
But I'm uncertain what you mean by "which means the board actually needs to lift more and it takes more effort." Could you go into that a lil bit more? Lift as in push down on the tail? Or a rail is lifting and the board is flipping? Think that part of the vid is where I got lost

For the sake of this discussion could we keep it too just kickflips? Maybe heelflips too?
I think stuff like tre's, hardflips, pressure flips or invisible flips that start rotating from the initial pop would be affected by what you're describing but what your trucks do will have a greater effect. (and now I'm 2nd guessing affect and effect and too lazy to looking it up. This thinking shit really is a headache)
Tail/nose shape will also play into things. Pointy tail vs whaletail or square tail and us mortals might have a tough time adjusting
Even something like an og Reynolds fs flip. Have you seen the old how-to vid where he puts his feet kinda weird. Well, weird for me cuz my trucks are way too loose for that. The foot position would make it tough for me to go straight and the loose trucks eat up any benefit popping from that position might give. Idk maybe I did suck?
Tricks that rotate (yaw axis) could be part 2?

Ok. Kickflips. This is from memory.. I'm old and I should start working on them again..
There's probably preference here. Do you want your board to start flipping from the initial pop? To me that's gonna be a slower flipping flip that might look really steezy. For me personally I'd probably wiff it. Pop it, flick it quick, catch it worked better for me. Idk maybe I was a hyper kid?
And also where does a Jeremy Wrey style kickflip fit in? He's doing them from his regular ollie position. (Is that called glue foot?)
When the flick is happening later I don't see the tipsiness of the wheels being a major factor

Heelflips?
We mobbing them or flicking them?
Mobbed. Yeah, tipsiness would probably help. But I doubt they're popped to your full potential. 
If you're popping and then flicking I'm back to thinking the wheel shape doesn't really matter. The wobble in your trucks is the bigger issue. And the bushings are always gonna be softer than your wheels

That's just my take on straight flips. And it all does go back to preferences. What do you guys think about my stoner thoughts?

And where's that screenshot dammit!

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #652 on: December 11, 2019, 02:09:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They look like knots in the wood and shouldn't affect the strength when used for the inner plies
Think BBS and Powell talk about this in their factory tour vids
But gotta ask.. did a piece fall out? That'd annoy me

no piece fall out, at least yet.

Expand Quote

[close]

Those are small knots in the plys that have been burnished over. They should be no problem to the board. Smaller knots don't usually unseat themselves. I've had a few BBS boards with them that never presented an issue over the life of the deck. As far as price point? With that amount of stained plys I'd say it's not, but I'm not too knowledgable on DGK stuff.

thanks for all the input pals, gotta update here if some shit happens.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #653 on: December 11, 2019, 04:12:08 AM »
Who does Birch? PS Stix?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #654 on: December 11, 2019, 06:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm in Finland and have been skating mostly Reals for a while now. I'm sure they're available in Sweden too. And Krooked and Antihero both do boards in the full shapes too so I don't think finding one should be too difficult.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: December 11, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Extra treat?
[close]

[close]
What?
You missed the part where he tells to how to pick out your ideal setup?
Gonna have to rewatch the whole thing

Nah, tbh it's all spread throughout the interview with him talking about physics and tuning to ppl's body type and skill level. What he says about Lee's wheelbase deserves some rambling but I think it'd involve talking about hip width and Q angles. Think it's Q angles..
And your *true* inseam, not the size pants you buy. What that's really trying to gauge is leg length from the ground to the pivot of your hip joint
If you're into math, physics, engineering this stuff shouldn't be groundbreaking but does serve as a great refresher and might even point out some stuff that you didn't think about. And hence the madness grows...

Was great for me cuz I got to see someone rabbitholing worse than me. I've measuring my wheels with calipers for decades and I'm just mildly curious
I've thought about using an angle finder like that to check assembled nose/tail angles but didn't wanna give into the madness
Also nice to know that the flexiness of modern boards is by design and not just cuz they got too thin. I don't recall Featherlights being weirdly flexy but I could def feel it with a Fiberlight
I wish he had talking more about concave and board strength. Everyone ignores that fact that some modern decks have spoon noses/tails and vexcave!

I love, love, love the Professor. Couldn't thank him enough cuz I absolutely loved PS Stix boards in the 90's. I'd skate them now but don't have any in the stack yet. And just listening to the history of what he's done amazes me. I can't believe how much he's done to improve skateboards. And it's frightening to think, "what if he'd never done all that for us?"
Thanks Professor!!!

That said I think there's a bit of a generational bias to what the Prof says. I was a grom in the late 80's, I can remember his Schmitt ad where he's riding a Yardstick and I think he's wearing a lab coat too. Guessing he was mid-twenties at the time? Early-twenties? He probably wasn't working on boned out melons or how may boards he could ollie, mobbed out fliptricks, etc. He would probably destroy me on transitions tomorrow but who couldn't?
So, ramp vs street.. old guard vs new school..

IMO, you don't need a *real* nose for a good ollie. Look at mid-80's Mullen footage before you argue that point..
What *I think* happening is you use the mass of the front truck as an "anchor point" and with your front foot in front of or over this mass you can leverage the back end up. Or you're just stopping the board's upward motion at the front while allowing it to continue at the back
Idk, maybe I'm not picturing the free body diagrams correctly. Totally open for discussion here..

You could use your smartphone to get the angle. On iPhone on the measuring app you can get the degrees with no decimal points but with a separate app you can get more decimals. I'd think similar hardware and apps are on Android too.

About Schmitt's talk about wheels I agree with you fully. I think he was way off there. I actually just commented about it on the Nine Club thread.

Kevve

« Reply #656 on: December 11, 2019, 05:47:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm in Finland and have been skating mostly Reals for a while now. I'm sure they're available in Sweden too. And Krooked and Antihero both do boards in the full shapes too so I don't think finding one should be too difficult.

For sure! I Just figured it would be easier to find any Deluxe board instead of a specific brand as the shape is the same.

Edit: Googled full shapes, looks nice! Maybe I misunderstood you guys, is it only Real that makes these full shapes? Or does most Deluxe brands have that shape?

Sorry im so tired right now.. 😁
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:08:49 PM by Kevve »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: December 11, 2019, 07:54:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For sure! I Just figured it would be easier to find any Deluxe board instead of a specific brand as the shape is the same.

Edit: Googled full shapes, looks nice! Maybe I misunderstood you guys, is it only Real that makes these full shapes? Or does most Deluxe brands have that shape?

Sorry im so tired right now.. 😁

Antihero and Krooked have them too and currently have several graphics available at least for the 8.25 Full, probably other widths too.

Kevve

« Reply #658 on: December 11, 2019, 09:03:59 PM »
Allright mate, Cheers!

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #659 on: December 12, 2019, 02:50:57 AM »
The full shape is so nice. I cant go back to regular shape.
Helps tremendously with anything that requires scooping, or tricks where you need to stand on the nose/tail, like noseslide.