Author Topic: Transworld Done?!?  (Read 36924 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Transworld Done?!?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:27 PM »
Extra shitty if true for editor Brian Blakely,who just lost an arm

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 11:21:54 PM »
This is a bummer if true. TW hasn't been so great lately but they still put out a mag that's worth looking at for the photos alone. I'll admit I was kinda worried when I noticed 2 double page ads for the new NB Westgate shoe and then a page of editorial content covering the same shoe. I feel like their operating budget has been pretty tight since the revamp and switch to bimonthly. Diminishing advertisers and subscribers probably just makes it not profitable anymore for the corporate owners. Bleh.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

ralf_

• Rep: -35
  • yo
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 11:29:04 PM »
there is so many skate mags...
fun fun fun

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 12:02:55 AM »
I could see if Nike, Adidas, or DC pulled advertising the could be done.

Heard this was the case. Bummer - I liked Transworld.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 12:48:40 AM »
The digital age has done quite a number on typography. I’m surprised the mags lasted this long especially with how they have such a big social media/internet presence. Figured they would of all went full digital a few years back.

Skateboarder tried that and failed. Whatever happened to the skateboard mag. That was the best one for a while.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

GetSnaked

• Rep: -4
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 01:07:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Berrics bought them out around 2014 I'd say, they were already pretty thin for the past year and i swear some 9 question interviews.  Then it literally became a goddamn skateboarding calendar with the photography and had a bunch of articles that would tell you to go to the berrics site to check out more.  the Skateboard Mag was great though, bought an Aaron Suski cover at 7-11 like the week i got a board, looking for "skateboard magazines" how close.

Alas, RIP transworld if true. Always found something of value in the mags but early on ever understood the "legacy" of transworld videos mentioned in the mag as RFF and Hallelujah were the only TWS vids i saw as a kid.

On an unrelated note I met Gershon Mosley at age 12 and he told me backside flipped the gap we were at in TWS "the reason".  we looked it up on imdb that night, had never heard of it
i get the joke it's just not funny and doing school for a long time doesn't make you not a dipshit.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You little zoomers that came up at zoomies don’t know shit and you need to read a fucking book and put

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 01:25:17 AM »
A tragic.

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 01:41:15 AM »

Here they talk about duets being the last video...
support your local ramp-tramp

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2019, 02:35:11 AM »
I will never celebrate the death of any skate media.  If true, I will miss the photography the most.  The subtitles picked up on a still images capture a spirit in skateboarding that just doesn't translate to video.   

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65239
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2019, 02:56:59 AM »
I will miss the mag but I can imagine any kid below 20 who has grown up with internet and is used to a daily overdose of clips is not going to buy a skateboard magazine with pictures from 3 months ago. 

They might fire most of the staff, then work with freelance staff only and keep the magazine running with maybe 2 people. Common in media these days.

Over the years they have done really cool things. Just gonna leave this here.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2019, 03:18:58 AM »
The Transworld motocross magazine is on hold too. So maybe it is company wide.  The mx editor posted

Today, we were notified that, pending a potential sale of our business, our magazine, web site, and race series are on hold.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 03:25:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Berrics bought them out around 2014 I'd say, they were already pretty thin for the past year and i swear some 9 question interviews.  Then it literally became a goddamn skateboarding calendar with the photography and had a bunch of articles that would tell you to go to the berrics site to check out more.  the Skateboard Mag was great though, bought an Aaron Suski cover at 7-11 like the week i got a board, looking for "skateboard magazines" how close.

Alas, RIP transworld if true. Always found something of value in the mags but early on ever understood the "legacy" of transworld videos mentioned in the mag as RFF and Hallelujah were the only TWS vids i saw as a kid.

On an unrelated note I met Gershon Mosley at age 12 and he told me backside flipped the gap we were at in TWS "the reason".  we looked it up on imdb that night, had never heard of it

Berrics bought The Skateboard Mag and has nothing to do with TransWorld which is owned by TEN/The Entertainment Network

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 04:05:39 AM »
MAKE TRANSWORLD GREAT AGAIN. 

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 05:25:21 AM »
Their legend will live on through their message board.  ;D
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 05:52:51 AM »
Now that they're gone. Who got a HD link or iso to Duets?

ungzilla

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 06:11:09 AM »
I will miss the mag but I can imagine any kid below 20 who has grown up with internet and is used to a daily overdose of clips is not going to buy a skateboard magazine with pictures from 3 months ago. 

They might fire most of the staff, then work with freelance staff only and keep the magazine running with maybe 2 people. Common in media these days.

where can i find some scans of that sturt interview

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 06:13:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

where can i find some scans of that sturt interview

I actually just emailed transworld last week about finding some older issues. The person said their digitized catalog only goes back to 2008

jonnysheen

• Rep: -64
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 06:20:00 AM »
fyi

Here in the UK Sidewalk mag and Kingpin mag both stopped print over 5 years ago and went to the web.

But just last year but Websites stopped being updated.  They were both owned by the same umbrella company.

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »

C. R. E. A. M

• Rep: -74
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:57 AM »
The way they talked about "Duets" made this sound likely. They produced some of the most iconic videos in skating. Modus and Sight Unseen will always be two of my favorites.

Expand Quote
How the tables have turned Tranworld dominated the 90s with there glossy mags and epic videos.. Thrasher was so low budget the mag had faded photos and we're super thin with terrible videos .. They basically took over from selling sweatshirts becoming trendy in the early 00s..Nobody was wearing those in the 90s besides guys who wore shorts and knee high socks with vans or airwalks.. Even how popular DLX is now boggles my mind they only had the outcast pro's back then.. To say Real has a better team than Chocolate and alot others is crazy
[close]
Real had Gonz in the late 90's and Cardiel. They didn't only have "outcast" pros.

I know they did I'm just saying at that  point they were more underground back then.. With respect to Gonz being on Real and Cardiel on Anti Hero..

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2019, 07:19:34 AM »
Blogs should be a thing again, we have Chromeball for great interviews at least. Quartersnacks and Jenkem sorta cover that ground I guess

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

drewdown

• Rep: -28
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2019, 07:22:44 AM »
The way they talked about "Duets" made this sound likely. They produced some of the most iconic videos in skating. Modus and Sight Unseen will always be two of my favorites.

Expand Quote
How the tables have turned Tranworld dominated the 90s with there glossy mags and epic videos.. Thrasher was so low budget the mag had faded photos and we're super thin with terrible videos .. They basically took over from selling sweatshirts becoming trendy in the early 00s..Nobody was wearing those in the 90s besides guys who wore shorts and knee high socks with vans or airwalks.. Even how popular DLX is now boggles my mind they only had the outcast pro's back then.. To say Real has a better team than Chocolate and alot others is crazy
[close]
Real had Gonz in the late 90's and Cardiel. They didn't only have "outcast" pros.

Drake Jones, Kieth Hufnagel, REAL never slacked on pros. 

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 07:41:51 AM »
skate jawn reigns superior
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 07:54:11 AM »
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
skate jawn reigns superior

I hope the Video Show continues in some form.

sk8bones

• Rep: -15
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2019, 08:10:55 AM »
I really like duets. I hope this is just a realignment.

I felt cheated when I subscribed to the Skateboard Mag and found out I paid the Berrics. Then they switched over to the Berrics Mag. I assume that is completely dead. Good.

LOWCARD IS A GREAT MAGAZINE!!! GO TO ALBUQUERQUE ON APRIL 13TH FOR THE BIG MEET UP 4. MEET AT INDIAN SCHOOL DITCH AT NOON.

Confusion Magazine is good too.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2019, 08:25:57 AM »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
TENs only profitable entity was the dew tour  :o

doublesteveburger

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
I have to admit I haven’t supported TWS print in years but I’ve bought every dvd they’ve put out and I’m bummed I won’t be seeing an annual release this year. Duets was a beautiful closing to an era.

411VM, where are you? 

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
I have to admit I haven’t supported TWS print in years but I’ve bought every dvd they’ve put out and I’m bummed I won’t be seeing an annual release this year. Duets was a beautiful closing to an era.

411VM, where are you?

owned by TWS