Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 109186 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #780 on: April 26, 2022, 01:21:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am starting to look for a follow up to the 8.5 Neen twin noses. I liked the flat concave on those.

So let‘s see: These Foy 8.5 twins are all the same except for the graphic, right?

Comparison:

Width: same
Noses/tails: Neen 7 / Foy 6.75
Wheelbase: Neen 14.5 / Foy 14.3 (right?)
Lenghth: Neen 32+ / Foy under 32

I guess I could live with the shorter dimensions or might even like them better.

My main concern ist the concave. Is the Foy quite as mellow/shallow as the Neen?

I also remember that the CRob was suggested. I see that the width and length are identical with the Foy but wheelbase even shorter at 14 (which makes the tails a tad longer). However, the Chocolate has a steeper concave hasn‘t it?

Based on this knowledge I tend to giving the Foy a shot rather than the CRob. Am I missing something or are there alternatives?

I know some of these points were discussed earlier but I would appreciate your views.
[close]

Depends on the Foy as it's possible they used both twins for his shapes:

https://www.deathwishskateboards.com/products/foy-strictly-deathwish-8-5?_pos=2&_sid=f697d9763&_ss=r

https://www.deathwishskateboards.com/products/foy-gator-deck-8-5?_pos=6&_sid=f697d9763&_ss=r

I have a few Deathwish Foy Exorcism Failed graphics on ice and they measure 8.5 x 31.875 x 14.375; very mellow kicks...

Not ridden the crob but crail boards are steeper and the kicks usually longer.
[close]

I actually liked that Florida gator Foy graphic. Haven’t had a deathwish since an antwuan board (with an entirely regrettable graphic, he’s the goat tho).
@Xen you like yours?
I skate a lot of crail stuff, no desire to buy the Robert’s tho

@ok

The 31.875" twin foy is great, provided you like 8.5" boards ;) Haven't ridden the longer one. Would love to have the same thing just 8.375 but that's splitting hairs.

It's super close to the DLX in terms of kicks but just a tad more hybrid than tail IMO (especially looking down in it); it's really round/full feeling, comfortable, mellow and easy to skate; polar opposite of the Sovereign Sects twin offering which is steeper, deeper, longer and more rigid.

Not sure why but the foy is one of those boards where big spins and pop shuvs feel really good/effortless =D or, I just gel with with the board as I have been favoring mellower boards these days. I've ridden it on Royals and Indys and it skates great either way...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #781 on: April 26, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I am starting to look for a follow up to the 8.5 Neen twin noses. I liked the flat concave on those.

So let‘s see: These Foy 8.5 twins are all the same except for the graphic, right?

Comparison:

Width: same
Noses/tails: Neen 7 / Foy 6.75
Wheelbase: Neen 14.5 / Foy 14.3 (right?)
Lenghth: Neen 32+ / Foy under 32

I guess I could live with the shorter dimensions or might even like them better.

My main concern ist the concave. Is the Foy quite as mellow/shallow as the Neen?

I also remember that the CRob was suggested. I see that the width and length are identical with the Foy but wheelbase even shorter at 14 (which makes the tails a tad longer). However, the Chocolate has a steeper concave hasn‘t it?

Based on this knowledge I tend to giving the Foy a shot rather than the CRob. Am I missing something or are there alternatives?

I know some of these points were discussed earlier but I would appreciate your views.
[close]

Depends on the Foy as it's possible they used both twins for his shapes:

https://www.deathwishskateboards.com/products/foy-strictly-deathwish-8-5?_pos=2&_sid=f697d9763&_ss=r

https://www.deathwishskateboards.com/products/foy-gator-deck-8-5?_pos=6&_sid=f697d9763&_ss=r

I have a few Deathwish Foy Exorcism Failed graphics on ice and they measure 8.5 x 31.875 x 14.375; very mellow kicks...

Not ridden the crob but crail boards are steeper and the kicks usually longer.
[close]

I actually liked that Florida gator Foy graphic. Haven’t had a deathwish since an antwuan board (with an entirely regrettable graphic, he’s the goat tho).
@Xen you like yours?
I skate a lot of crail stuff, no desire to buy the Robert’s tho
[close]

@ok

The 31.875" twin foy is great, provided you like 8.5" boards ;) Haven't ridden the longer one. Would love to have the same thing just 8.375 but that's splitting hairs.

It's super close to the DLX in terms of kicks but just a tad more hybrid than tail IMO (especially looking down in it); it's really round/full feeling, comfortable, mellow and easy to skate; polar opposite of the Sovereign Sects twin offering which is steeper, deeper, longer and more rigid.

Not sure why but the foy is one of those boards where big spins and pop shuvs feel really good/effortless =D or, I just gel with with the board as I have been favoring mellower boards these days. I've ridden it on Royals and Indys and it skates great either way...

Perfect thanks!!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #782 on: April 26, 2022, 05:50:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Sorry if I missed that but what is the issue with the 8.5 Ishod twin? Too steep kicks?

He was meaning the kicks are too mellow, or at least that is how I read it.

I like mellow kicks, so they worked well for me.

DLX and many BBS wood have what could be called more mellow kicks than some other brands out there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #783 on: April 26, 2022, 09:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Sorry if I missed that but what is the issue with the 8.5 Ishod twin? Too steep kicks?
[close]

DLX and many BBS wood have what could be called more mellow kicks than some other brands out there.

But you said you bought one but never set it up, right? So, why come?  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #784 on: April 27, 2022, 08:16:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Every time I think about it, it comes back to the same thing though:

I have too many boards, as well as too many good boards already set up that I like more, with what I feel is a better shape for what I want and how I skate.

DLX boards in particular, but BBS in general, mostly now between 8.38 and 8.5 so sitting the twin 8.5 on other normal 8.5s I have set up, the tails are pretty much the same, as is the wheelbase, but I am skating the 8.38 size a lot more and only pull out the 8.5 if I just want a "go fast" session or cruisy roll around a park or somewhere, so they are never going to get swapped out at that rate.

Setting up something different because I am curious about it is one thing, but knowing what a deck is like and setting it up just because I can would mean I have way less fresh in shrink decks and way more "gripped and used once or twice" boards in an ever increasing pile, when anything new can still be sold on if someone else wants it, but gripped and used boards are more so given away, no matter what condition they are in, if someone is in need of a board.  If it is still one I would ride, it is more likely to be kept, but then it comes back to the start - I have too many boards.

Yes I am a bit special in that regard.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #785 on: April 27, 2022, 10:03:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Every time I think about it, it comes back to the same thing though:

I have too many boards, as well as too many good boards already set up that I like more, with what I feel is a better shape for what I want and how I skate.

DLX boards in particular, but BBS in general, mostly now between 8.38 and 8.5 so sitting the twin 8.5 on other normal 8.5s I have set up, the tails are pretty much the same, as is the wheelbase, but I am skating the 8.38 size a lot more and only pull out the 8.5 if I just want a "go fast" session or cruisy roll around a park or somewhere, so they are never going to get swapped out at that rate.

Setting up something different because I am curious about it is one thing, but knowing what a deck is like and setting it up just because I can would mean I have way less fresh in shrink decks and way more "gripped and used once or twice" boards in an ever increasing pile, when anything new can still be sold on if someone else wants it, but gripped and used boards are more so given away, no matter what condition they are in, if someone is in need of a board.  If it is still one I would ride, it is more likely to be kept, but then it comes back to the start - I have too many boards.

Yes I am a bit special in that regard.

I see, the issue is not the board, it is you  ;D
why come?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #786 on: April 27, 2022, 01:36:42 PM »

New Twin Tail on the darkroom insta.
I think the tails are like 6.58 something. It looks rad.
IG: @flowterspace

Dan Gerous

« Reply #787 on: April 27, 2022, 02:50:19 PM »

Their numbers don't add up. If it is 32" long with a 14.25" wb, the tails have to be longer than 6.58, if the tails are 6.58 and the wb is 14.25, similar numbers to the Quasi 8.375, it must be much shorter than 32"... or the wheelbase is longer than that... or they measured the length with the tape pressed down in contact with the board all the way, not straight across.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #788 on: April 27, 2022, 03:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Their numbers don't add up. If it is 32" long with a 14.25" wb, the tails have to be longer than 6.58, if the tails are 6.58 and the wb is 14.25, similar numbers to the Quasi 8.375, it must be much shorter than 32"... or the wheelbase is longer than that... or they measured the length with the tape pressed down in contact with the board all the way, not straight across.

Damn you are right. Thanks for the heads up.
With these specs the length would be around 31.75.
IG: @flowterspace

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #789 on: April 27, 2022, 05:19:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Their numbers don't add up. If it is 32" long with a 14.25" wb, the tails have to be longer than 6.58, if the tails are 6.58 and the wb is 14.25, similar numbers to the Quasi 8.375, it must be much shorter than 32"... or the wheelbase is longer than that... or they measured the length with the tape pressed down in contact with the board all the way, not straight across...which has to be the case, look at all their offerings, some of the longest in the game, for everything.

I don't know:

A) anyone that's ridden one
B) a store that carries them

But, I believe their measurements are suspect and as @Dan Gerous noted, they probably measure tape down and are actually shorter than listed.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #790 on: April 27, 2022, 05:32:09 PM »

Ha yes it is totally me!

When it comes to the DLX twin shapes, what is interesting is hearing a lot more people skate the smaller 8.25 and 8.3 sizes way more than the 8.5 boards, but a few others on here have skated and like the 8.5 without issue.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #791 on: April 27, 2022, 10:43:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yes it is totally me!

When it comes to the DLX twin shapes, what is interesting is hearing a lot more people skate the smaller 8.25 and 8.3 sizes way more than the 8.5 boards, but a few others on here have skated and like the 8.5 without issue.

The thing is I had a „regular“ (non twin) Ishod Full 8.38 which was actually 8.5 and which I loved and an Ishod Dreamer 8.38 which I hated so I am trying to understand if the twin shapes compare to the regular shapes, or not.
why come?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #792 on: April 27, 2022, 10:54:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yes it is totally me!

[close]

The thing is I had a „regular“ (non twin) Ishod Full 8.38 which was actually 8.5 and which I loved and an Ishod Dreamer 8.38 which I hated so I am trying to understand if the twin shapes compare to the regular shapes, or not.

The regular / dreamer 8.38 is so much more tapered, which is why I think it is a bit more nimble and what I usually skate now, with those bigger BBS 8.5 boards being a lot more of a log by comparison (while still being a good overall size and shape for the same trucks and everything else) but a bit more on the tail is always welcome to me.

I have had a number of 8.38 in the Full SE boards before and yes they are a bit more squared off and wider overall too, with the 8.5 twin probably being right in the middle of those two you had for kick / tail shape, of course with the addition of a two for one deal on the tail / kicks on the twin shape.

As was said before, the twin 6.75 length kicks is a bit more in between a normal board, of about 6.5 tail and 7 nose, so not quite normal smaller tails, but not quite normal longer noses either.  It does work well for another guy who did buy quite a few, but he is back on the 8.3 twin more so than the 8.5 nowdays - personal preference though.

I could line up all three new in shrink just to compare sizes and take some pics if you were keen, but I don't know how clearly the pics would be or how well they would show the differences.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #793 on: April 27, 2022, 11:03:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yes it is totally me!

[close]

[close]

The regular / dreamer 8.38 is so much more tapered, which is why I think it is a bit more nimble and what I usually skate now, with those bigger BBS 8.5 boards being a lot more of a log by comparison (while still being a good overall size and shape for the same trucks and everything else) but a bit more on the tail is always welcome to me.

I have had a number of 8.38 in the Full SE boards before and yes they are a bit more squared off and wider overall too, with the 8.5 twin probably being right in the middle of those two you had for kick / tail shape, of course with the addition of a two for one deal on the tail / kicks on the twin shape.

As was said before, the twin 6.75 length kicks is a bit more in between a normal board, of about 6.5 tail and 7 nose, so not quite normal smaller tails, but not quite normal longer noses either.  It does work well for another guy who did buy quite a few, but he is back on the 8.3 twin more so than the 8.5 nowdays - personal preference though.

I could line up all three new in shrink just to compare sizes and take some pics if you were keen, but I don't know how clearly the pics would be or how well they would show the differences.

Cheers, don‘t bother, I am more interested in the concave (not the steepness of the kicks) of the 8.5 tho, would you qualify it as rather shallow or deep?
why come?

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #794 on: April 28, 2022, 02:45:03 AM »

The Darkroom Facebook post says the tips are 6.5875".

Theorically it should be 31.675" lenght straight across.

On a side note, first time I take a look at Darkroom. Huge taste of good old Alien Workshop graphics. Fantastic.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #795 on: April 28, 2022, 08:40:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

On a side note, first time I take a look at Darkroom. Huge taste of good old Alien Workshop graphics. Fantastic.

That is because it's Don Pendleton's company =D

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #796 on: April 28, 2022, 08:41:38 AM »
Taking this here: I see three different Foy twins. Are they identical shapes?

@Easy Slider

30% off clearance...Foy up!

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Deathwish_Foy_Strictly_Deathwish_Deck/descpage-DWFSDDK.html

Solex

« Reply #797 on: April 28, 2022, 09:06:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That is because it's Don Pendleton's company =D
Yep, I instantly ckecked that when I saw this graphics. :D

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #798 on: April 28, 2022, 11:53:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Taking this here: I see three different Foy twins. Are they identical shapes?

[close]

@Easy Slider

30% off clearance...Foy up!

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Deathwish_Foy_Strictly_Deathwish_Deck/descpage-DWFSDDK.html

Thanks for the heads up bro but I am in Europe so shipping would probably still be exorbitant.
why come?

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #799 on: April 28, 2022, 12:52:37 PM »
God DAMMIT, Pals. I’ve had two Crob TTs on ice since they released and finally set one up today and H A T E it. Is this because its my first Crail deck in 20 years or is the shape/how flat it is just that bad? Is there a fuller shaped-steeper concave TT out there?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #800 on: April 28, 2022, 02:13:37 PM »
God DAMMIT, Pals. I’ve had two Crob TTs on ice since they released and finally set one up today and H A T E it. Is this because its my first Crail deck in 20 years or is the shape/how flat it is just that bad? Is there a fuller shaped-steeper concave TT out there?

Is this your first twin? No matter the brand they take getting used to.

That said it could just be a shit shape/bad dims for you, I’ve had it happen…stepped on it and said nope, not gonna work.

streetmeat

« Reply #801 on: April 28, 2022, 02:47:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That said it could just be a shit shape/bad dims for you, I’ve had it happen…stepped on it and said nope, not gonna work.

first twin, yea. im open to the idea of it considering i do a lot of fakie stuff and im not loyal to popping of the nose or tail when i do it. but yea, coming from loving DLX full se shapes and hockey decks to that was like  :o

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #802 on: April 28, 2022, 02:47:41 PM »

I hated mine until I cut the tails down to 6.5". The long tails makes it feel like skating a normal deck the wrong way around, way too light pop.
If you feel the same, try bigger wheels or higher/heavier trucks. Risers maybe?

Solex

« Reply #803 on: April 28, 2022, 03:06:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

first twin, yea. im open to the idea of it considering i do a lot of fakie stuff and im not loyal to popping of the nose or tail when i do it. but yea, coming from loving DLX full se shapes and hockey decks to that was like  :o
The wheelbase is also quite short for the lenght and the width. I think it can feel weird, especially on the 8.5".

I personnaly love it, but I used to ride ~ 7.75" boards exclusively so I think I always had short wheelbases.

Which version are they? 8.25" or 8.5"?

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #804 on: April 28, 2022, 03:48:02 PM »

Just curious, do you think it's the shape or the concave? Two different variables. Our boards are a med-mellow too so curious to hear your thoughts

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #805 on: April 28, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just curious, do you think it's the shape or the concave? Two different variables. Our boards are a med-mellow too so curious to hear your thoughts

May I ask what differentiates your shapes from the Ishod twins? Specs seem to be the same

streetmeat

« Reply #806 on: April 28, 2022, 04:47:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
The wheelbase is also quite short for the lenght and the width. I think it can feel weird, especially on the 8.5".

I personnaly love it, but I used to ride ~ 7.75" boards exclusively so I think I always had short wheelbases.

Which version are they? 8.25" or 8.5"?

honestly i think its just how flat it is that i dont dig. it also feels thick(er) and super stiff. dont think ive ever hated a deck this much in 20+ years of skating ha.

streetmeat

« Reply #807 on: April 28, 2022, 04:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

both but more the concave. i can almost always get used to a different shape.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #808 on: April 28, 2022, 06:12:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the justin henry quasi feels steeper to me than the craig ones.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: April 28, 2022, 08:57:06 PM »

Cheers, don‘t bother, I am more interested in the concave (not the steepness of the kicks) of the 8.5 tho, would you qualify it as rather shallow or deep?

As the DLX boards have a I to IV on top, which shows place in the stack, a I usually a little more steep / slightly deeper concave and a IV usually being slightly more mellow in the concave, I guess it is down to which board you get.

There are differences and the board is a III that I have, which is about the same as the other boards, but overall it is on the slightly more mellow side for BBS, but definitely not as mellow as some other BBS / DLX boards I have seen and stood on.

If anywhere has one, check with them what number is on top as most places should be able to easily check and get back to you with that information.