Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786153 times)

Enrico Pallazzo (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26730 on: January 10, 2021, 08:06:10 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJzuh1VBLol/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ben Degros mentioned in a recent video that his new batch of blanks are coming in from China, plus latest IG clips had him on a Maven deck, a brand based out of China.

Been testing out a couple of decks from there and the quality has been well above average. Decided to setup a Promade because it had the dimensions I liked: long length, short wheelbase.

Promade 8.25 - 8.25 x 32.1 x 14.25, incredibly steep concave and kicks, felt like I was stepping in a dish
Venture 5.6 V-Hollow w/ cast baseplate - Can't beat the pinch, may go back to a forged baseplate to compensate for the steep kicks
Spitfire 52mm Radial Slims 99a - much more forgiving than the Bones V3 I was riding, every time I ride F4 I ask myself why I even bothered with other wheels
Blank Ceramic bearings - $15, worth a shot
Assorted hardware and griptape

Lots of ghost pop on day 1 but I attribute that to 4 weeks worth of military training and minimal skateboarding. I may swap to a forged baseplate to compensate for the steep kicks. But after 1 session (before the rain came in), the deck felt promising but would need a longer break in time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:13:28 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26732 on: January 10, 2021, 08:43:20 AM »

Nice man

Thanks! A lot of China board graphics are unbearable - blatant copyright infringement, over-the-top distasteful or riddled with Engrish. When I find a company that does simpler graphics I definitely pick up a couple of boards from them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DirtyBurger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #26733 on: January 10, 2021, 04:05:35 PM »

Thanks! A lot of China board graphics are unbearable - blatant copyright infringement, over-the-top distasteful or riddled with Engrish. When I find a company that does simpler graphics I definitely pick up a couple of boards from them.

I like the graphic on that even though it's so simple. Where did you find the $15 ceramics?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #26734 on: January 10, 2021, 05:19:17 PM »
Never seen a 5 ball bearing before, wild.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26735 on: January 10, 2021, 06:15:33 PM »

Expand Quote

[close]

I like the graphic on that even though it's so simple. Where did you find the $15 ceramics?

Aliexpress or Taobao (China's Amazon) if you're feeling adventurous. I figured that most big brand bearings are coming from China anyway, what you're paying for is QC, marketing, the brand recognition and a sticker, hence going closer to the source. Not a bad place if you're looking to stock up on skate tools or hardware. I'm not picky about bearings and toss old ones out instead of trying to clean them, so cheap bearings are my go-to.

Aliexpress is rife with counterfeit boards (Baker / Girl), trucks (old stage 11 Indys), wheels (Spitfires, posted extensively about them) and bearings (Bones). You know fuckery is afoot when a Baker complete costs $100.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Zark

• Rep: 6
« Reply #26736 on: January 10, 2021, 07:33:29 PM »
Anybody have recommendations for setting up a cruiser board?  I have a bunch of old decks and I'd just like to set up something quiet at night to get to my car since I have to park far.  Figured I'd like to go cruise around downtown late at night too.  Trucks, risers id needed, what wheels..
Use any deck and correlating truck size, and just add wheels and risers as needed. My best cruisers are wheels at least 78a duro and at least 60 mm or larger, this is for the smoothest and most comfortable cruise, the combo of the large diameter and soft urethane allows you to glide over most cracks and small rocks. All my cruisers are just regular decks with risers to accommodate the larger wheels. My favorite cruiser wheels have been what I'm currently ridin is powell snakes 66 mm with only and 1/8" riser, though I use hard bushings and get no wheel bite. Also slimeballs were good and the oj superjuice. However the snakes have been the most durable, you can powerslide them and they don't seem to chunk even on rough pavement. Here they are on a madness (left deck), 169 indies, with no riser on 66 mm, the madness had wheel wells which I think helped. I ve used this same setup on popscicle decks.

Tomek

• Rep: 29
« Reply #26737 on: January 10, 2021, 08:42:07 PM »

Prime/SoCal blank
Venture 6.1
Spitfire 80hd 58
Kalis

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #26738 on: January 11, 2021, 02:32:24 AM »

Prime/SoCal blank
Venture 6.1
Spitfire 80hd 58
Kalis

Super sexy looking. What's the width

Also Kalis ftw. Possibly the best skate shoe ever imo.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Tomek

• Rep: 29
« Reply #26739 on: January 11, 2021, 05:18:05 AM »
Expand Quote

Prime/SoCal blank
Venture 6.1
Spitfire 80hd 58
Kalis
[close]

Super sexy looking. What's the width

Also Kalis ftw. Possibly the best skate shoe ever imo.

I think it’s the “s5” shape, I’ve had it a while and forget...

9.125 and 14 or 14.25 wb

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #26740 on: January 11, 2021, 03:34:26 PM »

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #26741 on: January 11, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »
I think I have been posting too much, so held off posting this, but I am so happy with it right now.

It is easier to post Instagram as pics I upload directly never seem to turn out so well, or they are very small.

My detailed (almost rant) about specs in the post, but the basics:

Antihero 8.38
Indy 149s with aftermarket 92 low bushings
Bones swiss
Spitfire classics 99, 56 when new, now down around 50 so nice and wide
Shortys 7/8 silverados
Jessup grip

Vans Era pro from a long time ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ0y7SqFLwF/

Pretty similar to my current set up - Deluxe 8.38's are my favorite.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26742 on: January 11, 2021, 04:09:51 PM »
Expand Quote

New Xmas deck. Still have a little life in my current setup but I’m dead set on nailing heel flips and after a session, I think sizing down from an 8.75 to this 8.5 is going to get me there quicker.

8.5 Grandma kinda snubbed nose and kick but with a little taper vs the big square shapes.
149s
53mm F4 Radial
Big Balls

I like it a lot. Stiff and light, pop sounds good. I needed a deck while visiting Santa Fe at Christmas and Ignition got a small order of these which are pressed in a home shop in Albuquerque. Seems like they’re doing some pretty cool stuff. The shop, date, and batch number were etched on the top.
[close]
Beautiful
A friend of mine, a chilean artist, did that graphic. Pretty cool to find it in here.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26743 on: January 11, 2021, 06:17:57 PM »

*chefs kiss*

I'm not a fan of die-cut graphics on grip but this one is well above acceptable.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #26744 on: January 11, 2021, 06:57:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

New Xmas deck. Still have a little life in my current setup but I’m dead set on nailing heel flips and after a session, I think sizing down from an 8.75 to this 8.5 is going to get me there quicker.

8.5 Grandma kinda snubbed nose and kick but with a little taper vs the big square shapes.
149s
53mm F4 Radial
Big Balls

I like it a lot. Stiff and light, pop sounds good. I needed a deck while visiting Santa Fe at Christmas and Ignition got a small order of these which are pressed in a home shop in Albuquerque. Seems like they’re doing some pretty cool stuff. The shop, date, and batch number were etched on the top.
[close]
Beautiful
[close]
A friend of mine, a chilean artist, did that graphic. Pretty cool to find it in here.

So cool! I found him tagged on one of Grandma’s Instagram posts and just started following him. When my wife sent me to pick out my present, I was looking for something a little more pedestrian but heard how these guys are pressing in the garage and knew I wouldn’t see them back in Houston so I took it and have had a couple really good sessions on it. I’m still adjusting to a thinner deck but the dimensions are great. Super balanced, the nose and tail feel natural. The madness in me is incredibly soothed by the fact that I can get them to make me another one.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #26745 on: January 11, 2021, 07:49:14 PM »

Theres a reason for that. I tried those and full ceramics (races as well as balls), as well as some other weird 608 bearings from china a while ago. They're reasonably quick at first but not made to withstand the forces or beating of skating so they broke down pretty quickly. Cracked two on a flat ollie even with soft wheels. Cheap ceramics in general have mostly been a disappointment for me. I love the fact that theyre more resistant to weather but they're mostly relegated to my rain/snow setups now because of performance and durability.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26746 on: January 11, 2021, 08:46:42 PM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #26747 on: January 11, 2021, 09:03:48 PM »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26748 on: January 11, 2021, 09:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Theres a reason for that. I tried those and full ceramics (races as well as balls), as well as some other weird 608 bearings from china a while ago. They're reasonably quick at first but not made to withstand the forces or beating of skating so they broke down pretty quickly. Cracked two on a flat ollie even with soft wheels. Cheap ceramics in general have mostly been a disappointment for me. I love the fact that theyre more resistant to weather but they're mostly relegated to my rain/snow setups now because of performance and durability.

Same, I rode them for an hour before the rain came in. Out of the box they spun fast which to me isn't very promising. By after an hour they were sputtering when I spun them by hand, even after re-seating the bearings and adjusting the axle nuts they felt like 3 month old bearings. Ok for the experience but never again.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26749 on: January 12, 2021, 04:52:31 AM »
the Chico! H*ck yes you did it you set it up. Looks great
cheers mate, it kept teasing me and I probably wasn’t going to wall hang it anyway.
I wish someone would just pick him up so this shape becomes easily available again ... should have stocked up on his chocolate boards

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #26750 on: January 12, 2021, 05:20:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Random question but anyone get a really steep quasi proto recently? Mine looks like an FA, has way more concave and the tail is decently steep too unlike the mellow stubby-tail jake Johnson acid ply I had before. Feels nice was just really thrown off by shape at first as never see a 8.25 14.25 WB quasi shaped like that
[close]

I have an 8.25 proto at the bottom of my stack in hopes that it flattens out a bit. Im on an 8.25 Wilson currently and it feels like it’s mellowed out over a few weeks of skating it.

Based on my experience they mellow out really fast.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #26751 on: January 12, 2021, 09:03:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

*chefs kiss*

I'm not a fan of die-cut graphics on grip but this one is well above acceptable.
4 Real this set up is a beauty! Is it 8.25?
The AWS/Habitat 8.25 is seriously my favorite shape of all time. Im skating one right now and it seem difficult to try and find a replacement. Which is kinda fucked since they are becoming quite hard to get, at least around here.

Colt Cannon's Cargos

« Reply #26752 on: January 12, 2021, 09:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

*chefs kiss*

thank you lobster, i usually just run black jessup but i actually prefer less grippy cheap grip and the sect grip fits the bill perfectly. the top graphic just happened to work out perfectly

Colt Cannon's Cargos

« Reply #26753 on: January 12, 2021, 09:29:23 AM »
Expand Quote
The AWS/Habitat 8.25 is seriously my favorite shape of all time. Im skating one right now and it seem difficult to try and find a replacement. Which is kinda fucked since they are becoming quite hard to get, at least around here.
[close]

ty! sorry, prob should have listed details:

habitat 8.375
aws grip
thunder lights 148, bones hard bushings
spitfire conical 101du
bones swiss, shields on

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #26754 on: January 12, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

*chefs kiss*

[close]

Does anyone maybe know the length and wheelbase for AWS 8.25? I loved my 8.125 and think about stepping up. 
IG: @flowterspace

Colt Cannon's Cargos

« Reply #26755 on: January 12, 2021, 12:44:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

*chefs kiss*

[close]
[close]

Does anyone maybe know the length and wheelbase for AWS 8.25? I loved my 8.125 and think about stepping up.

Dimensions
8.25 X 32.25 WB 14.25

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #26756 on: January 12, 2021, 12:49:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

*chefs kiss*

[close]
[close]

[close]

Dimensions
8.25 X 32.25 WB 14.25

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, that is a bit too long. I was hoping for around 31.8 in length.
Anyone know brands that put out 8.25 decks with that length?
IG: @flowterspace

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #26757 on: January 12, 2021, 01:35:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

*chefs kiss*

[close]
[close]

[close]

Dimensions
8.25 X 32.25 WB 14.25
[close]

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, that is a bit too long. I was hoping for around 31.8 in length.
Anyone know brands that put out 8.25 decks with that length?

Business & co has shorter bbs boards. Look nice.
Evisen has shorter boards.
Craig has some short shapes.
Quasi I think measures differently, so the boards are (were?) a little shorter than listed.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #26758 on: January 12, 2021, 02:12:38 PM »

Seeing one of these out in the wild gives me real hope, the greatest shape on the Habitat range.

How’s it feel? I was a little worried on new batch Habitat being shitty

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #26759 on: January 12, 2021, 09:00:25 PM »
Expand Quote
cheers mate, it kept teasing me and I probably wasn’t going to wall hang it anyway.
I wish someone would just pick him up so this shape becomes easily available again ... should have stocked up on his chocolate boards
Are those Trackers on the Krooked?
fuck you bama