Author Topic: Wheelbase on your trucks  (Read 40082 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: WB on your trucks
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know how much Venture 5.6 Titanium shift WB?

Always thought that forged baseplates extended WB universally. Did some measuring on my Thunder and:

Thunder Team Standard - 3.125"
Thunder Titanium - 3.15"
Thunder Hollow Light - 3.25"
[close]
are the thunder titaniums 52mm tall or shorter than hollow lights?

Tactics doesn't a listing for reference by last I captured on my pair of 148 was:
Titanium - 52.3mm
Hollow Lights - 52.3mm (off Tactics)

Strangely the 149 sits slightly lower:
Titanium - 49.78mm (Tactics)
Hollow Lights- 52.3mm (Tactics)

Expand Quote

Always thought that forged baseplates extended WB universally. Did some measuring on my Thunder and:

Thunder Titanium - 3.15"
[close]
Pretty sure it’s the same as the other forged ventures (3.5 or 3.4), just did a rough estimate with my handy ruler and was getting around 17.5 center to center on a 14 wb

Thanks buddy, they are super tempting buy that kind of WB extension is a little too much for me, it would really limit my board selections to those a 14" WB, seems like my ideal axle to axle WB is around 17.5" give or take.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:33:05 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2020, 10:33:40 PM »
Another reason I prefer the standard Thunders.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2020, 10:56:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thunder Titanium - 3.15"
[close]
[close]

Tactics doesn't a listing for reference by last I captured on my pair of 148 was:
Titanium - 52.3mm

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thunder Titanium - 3.15"
[close]
Pretty sure it’s the same as the other forged ventures (3.5 or 3.4), just did a rough estimate with my handy ruler and was getting around 17.5 center to center on a 14 wb
[close]

Thanks buddy, they are super tempting buy that kind of WB extension is a little too much for me, it would really limit my board selections to those a 14" WB, seems like my ideal axle to axle WB is around 17.5" give or take.
im pretty sure the 148s are supposed to be lower than the 149s, ben degros did a review on the 148s saying they are lower

edit: 147s and he rounded up to 51mm. really doubting 149s are sub 50
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:09:33 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2020, 11:36:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thunder Titanium - 3.15"
[close]
[close]

Titanium - 52.3mm

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thunder Titanium - 3.15"
[close]
[close]

[close]
im pretty sure the 148s are supposed to be lower than the 149s, ben degros did a review on the 148s saying they are lower

edit: 147s and he rounded up to 51mm. really doubting 149s are sub 50

Well truck height is easier to overcome, slap some risers on there and you're good.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FakieFlipCG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
For my fellow petite truck riders

Independent 139 Titanium: +3.00 in
Thunder 147 Hollow Light: +3.3125 in

Measured both sides and got the average
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:56:14 PM by FakieFlipCG »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »

I think that's using the old 149 measurement for the Titaniums. I've got a set of 149 night titaniums and they're about the same as the hollows. If anything mine are like a half mil higher than the hollows, but that might just be my floorboards not being perfectly level or something.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
My previous setup of ace 55s with Jason Adams black label 8.75, 14.5 wb has the same axle wb as my current setup of venture 6.1 on primitive spencer Hamilton 8.6, 14wb (About 17 7/16)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2020, 06:34:37 AM »
This is possibly the nerdest thread I've read on this page, and I love every word of it.

I was bored at the shop a few years back, and we started comparing baseplates. I took a sheet of paper and drew long straight line on it. We then placed a given base plate on the paper, so that line ran directly through the center of the two outer most holes. We then traced the base plate on the paper. This gave us a direct visual representation of how/where a give base plates "sits" on your board in relation to other ones. I'll see if I can dig up the tracings. No real surprises, Venture stuck "out" the most, and Thunders the least (stuck out the most on the opposite end).

But back to wheelbase. Not sure what methods people use to measure comparative truck wheelbase, but I basically use the same one as above. It works quite well. Draw a line on sheet of paper. Place truck so that the line goes through inner most holes. Look over truck from above, and mark spot on paper that is directly below center of axle. Measure the distance between that mark, and the hole line, and you've got your comparative numbers (I actually do both sides, and then average).

I noticed that Cast V-5.6s were NOT included in this thread (or I missed it). I have a set. I'll add those numbers later on today.   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:37:07 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2020, 07:04:21 AM »
This is possibly the nerdest thread I've read on this page, and I love every word of it.

I was bored at the shop a few years back, and we started comparing baseplates. I took a sheet of paper and drew long straight line on it. We then placed a given base plate on the paper, so that line ran directly through the center of the two outer most holes. We then traced the base plate on the paper. This gave us a direct visual representation of how/where a give base plates "sits" on your board in relation to other ones. I'll see if I can dig up the tracings.
No real surprises, Venture stuck "out" the most, and Thunders the least (stuck out the most on the opposite end).

But back to wheelbase. Not sure what methods people use to measure comparative truck wheelbase, but I basically use the same one as above. It works quite well. Draw a line on sheet of paper. Place truck so that the line goes through inner most holes. Look over truck from above, and mark spot on paper that is directly below center of axle. Measure the distance between that mark, and the hole line, and you've got your comparative numbers (I actually do both sides, and then average).

I noticed that Cast V-5.6s were NOT included in this thread (or I missed it). I have a set. I'll add those numbers later on today.   
Ok about baseplate sitting on your board, but what about where the axle sits in relation to the baseplate? That changes for each truck. On your next paragraph you mention "eyeballing" where the axle sits from above? Doesn't seem accurate

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2020, 08:27:01 AM »
Ok about baseplate sitting on your board, but what about where the axle sits in relation to the baseplate? That changes for each truck.

Correct. The first paragraph about baseplates is in reference to baseplates ONLY. No account for axle, at all, in anyway.

On your next paragraph you mention "eyeballing" where the axle sits from above? Doesn't seem accurate.

Also correct. Much of this thread has been dedicated to crude design of trucks, "eyeballing it" and the lack of truly accurate means to measure these things. The method I described above is no different. I supposed you could drop a weighted string down to get a plumbline from center axle, but I do not think that would reveal substantial differences from "eyeballing it." I could be wrong, however.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2020, 08:40:01 AM »
In regards wheelbase, axle to axle seems like it would be the important measurement.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2020, 09:01:54 AM »
In regards wheelbase, axle to axle seems like it would be the important measurement.

I would suggest you reread this entire thread. The point I was making was about the +2.75, +3, +3.2 type measurements.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »

Indeed. Having probably added a good amount of unnecessary madness to this thread and others like it (apologies), I'll say the easiest method for getting a good WB measurement, all you need is a tape measure (and maybe a calculator). 

You're going to get two different measurements, unavoidable. Trucks are never truly centered at the yoke. Measure one side axle center to axle center (ex. 17.375") measure the other side (ex. 17.125"). Subtract the smaller number from the bigger = .125."  Add it to the smaller number, .125" + 17.125" = 17.25," there's your wheelbase.

Trucks shift in so many ways - the bushings compressing and corroding, holes ovalizing, kingpins loosening, pivot cups blowing out - all of which would shift your wheelbase, getting pretty close measurements will probably have to suffice.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indeed. Having probably added a good amount of unnecessary madness to this thread and others like it (apologies), I'll say the easiest method for getting a good WB measurement, all you need is a tape measure (and maybe a calculator). 

You're going to get two different measurements, unavoidable. Trucks are never truly centered at the yoke. Measure one side axle center to axle center (ex. 17.375") measure the other side (ex. 17.125"). Subtract the smaller number from the bigger = .125."  Add it to the smaller number, .125" + 17.125" = 17.25," there's your wheelbase.

Trucks shift in so many ways - the bushings compressing and corroding, holes ovalizing, kingpins loosening, pivot cups blowing out - all of which would shift your wheelbase, getting pretty close measurements will probably have to suffice.
Great even more factors for my truck madness.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2020, 09:11:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You actually really tried to provide relevant information before people came in with nonsense.

Sedition- I’ve read the thread. If you are speaking about wheelbase, then axle to axle is the wheelbase, baseplate size and shape don’t usurp that. I like hearing people’s ideas, and thought process, but there is a lot of stuff like ‘such and such brings the wheelbase in’, that get pretty murky.
Baseplates, wheel sizes, tail/nose lengths and angles, most definitely play into the leverage points, and that may be what many of us are also talking about when we talk about the wheelbase.
I dunno what I’m talking about.
As I see it there is hole to hole ‘wheelbase’ and axle to axle, hence ‘+3.25” added’

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2020, 09:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Great even more factors for my truck madness.

I shoulda clarified, those shifts would be minuscule, but enough to offset getting hyper anal about WB measurement.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2020, 09:13:16 AM »
the claim that polar now measures wb from the edge of hole to edge of hole instead of center to center kind of tripping me out.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »
Sedition- I’ve read the thread. If you are speaking about wheelbase, then axle to axle is the wheelbase, baseplate size and shape don’t usurp that. I like hearing people’s ideas, and thought process, but there is a lot of stuff like ‘such and such brings the wheelbase in’, that get pretty murky.
Baseplates, wheel sizes, tail/nose lengths and angles, most definitely play into the leverage points, and that may be what many of us are also talking about when we talk about the wheelbase.
I dunno what I’m talking about.
As I see it there is hole to hole ‘wheelbase’ and axle to axle, hence ‘+3.25” added’

I feel that most people who read my post will realize that the comments about baseplate shape/etc., and how we used a baseline line to measure them, was a segway into the second part about how I have measured axle placement on trucks, and is not, by any means, saying the two are correlated. If they were confused by that, I expressly stated in a subsequent post. In short, I think most people will fully grasp what I was saying. If you do not, I am OK with that (no pun intended).  "...such and such brings the wheelbase in" was perfectly clear to me when I read in previous posts, too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:05:54 AM by Sedition »

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
On the topic of measuring trucks, how is height measured? Bottom of baseplate to the highest point on the hanger? Or to mid axle?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2020, 11:26:38 AM »
On the topic of measuring trucks, how is height measured? Bottom of baseplate to the highest point on the hanger? Or to mid axle?

Bottom of the baseplate to mid-axle. Not the easiest thing to measure at home though, especially when some brands get down to .5mm. 

FakieFlipCG

• Rep: 36
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2020, 12:11:59 PM »
For my fellow petite truck riders

Independent 139 Titanium: +3.00 in
Thunder 147 Hollow Light: +3.3125 in

Measured both sides and got the average
Thunder 147 Raw: +3.25

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2020, 08:02:30 AM »
I'm having a wheelbase nerd out kind of day, so here's my contribution-

Thunder Lights II 148 - +3.125

Got some ventures coming in the week so I will add those on as well...interested to see if they push out the WB more than these thunders.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Or just add both measurements then divide by 2, to get the average reading

hellawatters

• Rep: -1
« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2020, 12:55:14 PM »
Curious what about the forged baseplates (at least on ventures) that shifts the WB out?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: September 29, 2020, 06:13:17 PM »
Curious what about the forged baseplates (at least on ventures) that shifts the WB out?

Good rule of thumb is:
Venture Cast - +3.25"
Venture Forged - +3.4 - 3.5"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2020, 10:05:46 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has placed their various trucks on the edge of a table or bench, (or the metal edge of the glass cabinet in the skate shop) then just put two deck bolts through the inside truck holes and compared the distance between each truck axle, in both wheelbase and height.

I know the thread has pretty much all those details and measurements noted, but often to see and do it with new untampered with trucks would be a good way to see any differences with your own eyes.

*** Especially right in front of you in said shop if you could, which was what I was meaning.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:16:03 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ballintoohard

« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
Measurements yesterday:

-Indy Forged Hollow 149: +3.125
-Venture 5.6 cast: +3.25
-Thunder Ti Hollow Lite 148: +3.25
-Thunder Team Hollow: +3.2

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2020, 12:27:03 PM »
I’d like to see some more measurement for wider trucks (for instance, I skate Indy 159 and 169 interchangeable)
Most of these values are only going up to 8.5 width trucks. If I knew I would add it myself.
* correction, there is the 169 standards on there but I was wondering about other trucks, like the titaniums and hollows at that size, and the wb of some other brands like those new venture 6.1s. Also would like to see the new Indy mids on here

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »
Info added to the first page.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pops

• Rep: 234
« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2020, 11:41:11 AM »
Reading this thread makes me scared to mount my Aces (never ridden) on my 14.25 wb deck. I'm used to 14.2-14.375wb decks with mostly indys and a few sets of thunders.