Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349335 times)

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 117
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Venture 2020
« on: January 02, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
Always on the grind. what’s up shredders, thinking about copping some venture 5.6 today, the real question is should I go with good ol polished or should I go with some v-lights or v-hollows? I usually run 144 Indy but fuck it I wanna switch it up. I’m probably going to hate my life fucking with the wheelbase and pop feel of switching truck brands but fuck it I wanna support dlx and my last few thunders have been absolute trash. I skate 8.25 quasi or fa/hockey squarish shapes 14-14.25wb right now & I’m use to the indy feel. Any suggestions get at me, shalom.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:59:28 PM »
I bought some 5.8's and while I don't run them as my truck of choice, they feel great once you replace the top washer with a flat one. comparable to indy with nicer pop.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:33:08 PM »
The vlights and vhollows have a forged baseplate which extends the wheelbase more than the casts do. So if you want it to be a little closer to your indys probably just get the standard polished 5.6s unless you want to shave some weight off.

sadnocomply

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 11:00:17 PM »
Shiiiiit I wish I skated 8 or 8.75 because the new raw kaders fuckin SMACK.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6vt7GhDWQf/?igshid=yng86vgbwrwd

I hope venture is on the come up for real. They been around longer than I’ve been born I think lol but I never see them at a sesh or at the park just indy/ace or thunder bros. Company seems ill to me, and the hangers are HARD  ;D

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:12:29 PM »
that top bushing looks like shit in the 2nd pic.

almost grabbed some of those the other day online, glad i didn't.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 03:18:25 AM »
I run those those same quasi’s on 5.8’s absolutely love it.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 06:44:07 AM »
I've skated 5.6 v-hollows on a couple setups and loved them every time, in fact I like them so much I just got a second pair. They're really light, like 327g which is about the same as a Thunder 149 hollow iirc, and super stable. I always feel like I pop better and more consistently on ventures, too.

I like them best on shorter wb decks. The two that really stood out for me were a 14" wb 8.25" Pennswood "kiddie pool" concave deck and a 14.12" wb 8.28" AH Kanfoush deck. I probably wouldn't recommend using them on like a 14.5"+ wb unless you really like long wheelbase setups but overall they're fantastic trucks.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 08:55:26 AM »
New year new you.
I say if your on a short wheelbase deck you should give it a shot. Worst case just throw your indys back on. I would maybe just watch the height difference on whichever one you decide on.

sadnocomply

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 08:59:21 AM »
Thanks for the feedback gents, I might even Franken a pair of 5.6 raws and 5.6 v-lights with the hollow kingpin to shave weight, but keep the cast baseplate for the pop and wheelbase sake. I’m hyped I’m getting them today at 6pm central. AWAKE.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 09:30:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback gents, I might even Franken a pair of 5.6 raws and 5.6 v-lights with the hollow kingpin to shave weight, but keep the cast baseplate for the pop and wheelbase sake. I’m hyped I’m getting them today at 6pm central. AWAKE.

Ok sick.  I set an alarm on my phone so I can look up to the sky and know you’re somewhere out there living that AWAKE Venture lifestyle you’ve always dreamed of.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »
Lol wut? you're buying v-lights becuase of weight/kingpin, but keep cast plates? so you want to hammer both kingpins out and put the hollow one in the cast plates?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »

cmon. have you even owned a pair of ventures? i know dlx has good marketing but you should be ashamed for typing that unironically
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:34:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lol wut? you're buying v-lights becuase of weight/kingpin, but keep cast plates? so you want to hammer both kingpins out and put the hollow one in the cast plates?

I think he's talking about doing this because the V-Lights also have a hollow axel? I was wondering too before realizing it has a hollow kingpin and axel. I did a similar thing with my Thunders, used an old cast baseplate with titanium axel 149's, before they started making the Team Titanium or whatever that comes stock with cast baseplate.

Hey Sadnocomply, if you buy both trucks to frankenstein, buy Thunder hollow replacement kingpins to put in the cast baseplate rather than hammering out the ones from the forged baseplate. Hammering out hollow kingpins is very difficult and can "mushroom" the head of it, making it harder to remove all the way and also rendering it useless for re-use. Probably weakens it too. Installing a brand new hollow kingpin is a better bet!
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »
I am also jonesing hard some new trucks and those are topping the list, so thank you for relieving me of the need to start a thread.  I got a Baker 8.125" OG shape for Christmas after riding long/wide boards for ages and set it up with 44s.  Feels a lot more like what I skated as a kid which has unexpectedly brought some tricks back from the deep memory banks, and is just generally a lot easier on these old ass legs; but concave is super mellow and the pop feels a little light with Aces to the point where I can't get up on higher ledges much easier than on a beefy boy/tranny setup.  Hard to feel like I'm really getting the full benefit of a lighter/more compact setup that way.   

The smaller board size has already made a noticeable enough difference on its own just in terms of feeling more controllable, and I don't actually have any 8.25" trucks; 148 Lights and 5.6 V-Lights are looking pretty good.   If I'm just skating flatground and ledge stuff, trying to get some tricks back and lock down the few I already sort of have, what's the big diff between Venture and Thunder?  I know Venture slides on the baseplate like Indy/Ace which is a big plus, and apart from that it's Thunder agility vs. Venture stability, but anything else to consider when picking between the two? All I know is that I can basically see middle age from here and I want my few tricks to pop as much as they can before the first half of my life finishes its trip around the drain and I assume my final form as the curb nuisance/coping slasher we're all destined for if we're lucky. 

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
the truck madness has spilled out into a thread for every brand now?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 12:00:15 PM »
that top bushing looks like shit in the 2nd pic.

almost grabbed some of those the other day online, glad i didn't.

Pivots cups are the same way, pretty ghetto - swapped them all out right away, no problems with the metals.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »
For everyone saying it's not that serious, my father was executed by the Contras for choosing the wrong brand of truck.

sadnocomply

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 12:38:40 PM »
For everyone saying it's not that serious, my father was executed by the Contras for choosing the wrong brand of truck.

Let’s hope he didn’t pick Krux amirite

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »
V-Lites = forged plate - hollow pins, and solid axles

V-Hollows = forged plate - hollow pins and axles

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »

hardly art, hardly starving

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Titan. Our family had to change its last name.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 02:05:34 PM »
I'm curious how this wb stuff shakes out. Cast Venture's are looking close to forged Indy's.
Anyone else thinking Venture needs to do a hollow cast version?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
I'm curious how this wb stuff shakes out. Cast Venture's are looking close to forged Indy's.

i think they need to do the 6.1 special editions already. was expecting them this drop but maybe it takes more R&D than i think.

hollow cast would be dope. is it me or does venture not have as many options as indy/thunder?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think they need to do the 6.1 special editions already. was expecting them this drop but maybe it takes more R&D than i think.

hollow cast would be dope. is it me or does venture not have as many options as indy/thunder?
nah, they got the parts already, just need to mix-n-match, and make some new SKU's, add a page to the catalog
yep, I agree with fewer options. Didn't they come out with Ti after Indy and Thunder? Red-headed stepchild of DLX/Ermico? At least 2nd to Thunder..

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 03:54:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for that huge laugh man. Ugh that Titan axle was a nightmare.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Shit, I forgot about Titan! Didn't Black Box have Monster or Destroyer trucks at 1 point?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
I've skated 5.6 v-hollows on a couple setups and loved them every time, in fact I like them so much I just got a second pair. They're really light, like 327g which is about the same as a Thunder 149 hollow iirc, and super stable. I always feel like I pop better and more consistently on ventures, too.

I like them best on shorter wb decks. The two that really stood out for me were a 14" wb 8.25" Pennswood "kiddie pool" concave deck and a 14.12" wb 8.28" AH Kanfoush deck. I probably wouldn't recommend using them on like a 14.5"+ wb unless you really like long wheelbase setups but overall they're fantastic trucks.

I was swapping my ventures between two decks:

Primitive 8.25 x 31.875 x 14"WB
AH: 8.28 x 31.65 x 14.12"WB (same shape as the AH Kanfoush but they have 31.65 and a 31.75 length variation...odd).

The 5.6s feel amazing on the Primitive and like shit to me on the AH, it's either the length of the AH or the length of the tail. My manual point is the best it's ever been on the primitive with ventures and total shit on the AH with ventures; pop is a bit weird tho on the prim, might be the tail length (it's pretty long at 6.875". I thought for sure they'd be fine on that AH tho...so odd, we're talking 0.12" here...but it feels night and day.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 08:52:38 PM »
The only truck that matters

The banner ad tells me

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 12:05:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Homie got these trucks, he broke that fucking hex head of kingpin first try, being a 13yrs old trying to tighten them up from factory setup😂😂
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

sadnocomply

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 01:11:00 PM »
Anybody anxiously waiting for those prod 5.6 titaniums like me or what!!!