Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369470 times)

Ok and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1560 on: February 15, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
Finally caved and copped some venture v hollow 5.6. Looking forward to them arriving. Probably gonna run extra washers on the inside and slap them on an antihero 8.5.

Just wanted to ask what people’s favorite boards are to put 5.6’s on. Thinking about trying one of those primitive 8.25 with the 14 wb.

They're a fantastic fit for the 8.25"/14" Primitive deck, so far, it's my favorite combo with them; it's a really comfortable deck with a really nice shape.

I'm still struggling with the Ventures, pop is great, pinch good, grind good, stability amazing, but I do miss the the twitch of thunders and the turny of indy/ace. I can skate them just fine but I don't think they fit my style of skating (loose, fast and sloppy, like my women).

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #1561 on: February 15, 2021, 09:25:37 PM »
Might be in the minority here, but I've skated many 31.75-32 inch long boards with a 14.25 wheelbase on forged plate ventures (so max wb extension) the past year and a half. Never really had a problem.

Going up to 14.38, 32 inches long I noticed it starting to become a bit clumsy. Could go down to 14.125 but definitely didn't prefer it, felt too short. 14 inch wb, even on forged plate ventures, felt fucked to me.

I think I do marginally prefer cast plates on 14.25 though, and imagine that on 14.38 itll be good where the forged plates was not ideal, maybe could even go back up to 14.5 if I feel like switching it up.

That being said I'm 6 5 and have skated many wider longer wb boards in the past (though with different trucks) so your mileage may vary.

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #1562 on: February 15, 2021, 09:31:25 PM »
Finally caved and copped some venture v hollow 5.6. Looking forward to them arriving. Probably gonna run extra washers on the inside and slap them on an antihero 8.5.

Just wanted to ask what people’s favorite boards are to put 5.6’s on. Thinking about trying one of those primitive 8.25 with the 14 wb.
I'm riding my 5.8 standards on a 8.5 real full se. Also ride them on an Antihero 8.5 with a 14.38. As long as you're not going over 14.38 you'll be fine. I am gonna try them on an 8.25×32×14.25 theories next to see what's up.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1563 on: February 16, 2021, 07:43:58 AM »

Orchard m1

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1564 on: February 16, 2021, 12:37:58 PM »
have a pair of 6.1 hangers w/forged plates (6.1 vlights?) on a 14.25wb deck and got 17.5 on both sides...

can someone else check to see if they add 3.25?

looks like i might not need 6.1 hollows so ill take it if true
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1565 on: February 20, 2021, 08:25:24 AM »
have a pair of 6.1 hangers w/forged plates (6.1 vlights?) on a 14.25wb deck and got 17.5 on both sides...

My v-hollow 5.6 with forged plates add exactly 3.4 inches to WB. Quasi 14.25 WB with those trucks is 17.65 when I measured. So I threw them on a 14 WB 8.18 FA and feels way nicer and easier to flip

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1566 on: February 20, 2021, 08:30:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My v-hollow 5.6 with forged plates add exactly 3.4 inches to WB. Quasi 14.25 WB with those trucks is 17.65 when I measured. So I threw them on a 14 WB 8.18 FA and feels way nicer and easier to flip
i have 5.6 on forged plates that do the same, looks like the 6.1s specifically have a different geometry and dont extend as much
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1567 on: February 20, 2021, 08:39:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i have 5.6 on forged plates that do the same, looks like the 6.1s specifically have a different geometry and dont extend as much

Ahh I had no idea the 6.1 have different geometry my bad. That is interesting though

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1568 on: February 20, 2021, 09:04:06 AM »
Back on Venture 5.2 V-Hollow with a cast baseplate. Fingers crossed for that lovely pinch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fhk

« Reply #1569 on: February 20, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »

I just stopped mid woodroom session to check..it is exactly 3.25. I was going to get some hollows but these regulars are flipping just fine. The picture is of no relevance other than I love this setup deeply and had to show someone.

CaptainBushwacker

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1570 on: February 20, 2021, 10:27:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just stopped mid woodroom session to check..it is exactly 3.25. I was going to get some hollows but these regulars are flipping just fine. The picture is of no relevance other than I love this setup deeply and had to show someone.

Looks good as hell!

Edit: I also love my 5.6 v-light ventures, best trucks i've had in years

IpathCats

« Reply #1571 on: February 20, 2021, 05:02:43 PM »

I'm still struggling with the Ventures, pop is great, pinch good, grind good, stability amazing, but I do miss the the twitch of thunders and the turny of indy/ace. I can skate them just fine but I don't think they fit my style of skating (loose, fast and sloppy, like my women).

This. I'm dealing with this EXACT type of madness right now between ventures and aces. I've done everything I can to make the ventures more surfy, riptide pivot cups, their softest bushings, flat washers, sanded the shit out of the top cone to where it's a little smaller than the stock one, but it's no use. They do turn better than stock, but still nowhere near good. I'm halfway considering just splitting the difference, and riding indy's like a fucking casual. Wtf.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1572 on: February 20, 2021, 06:33:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This. I'm dealing with this EXACT type of madness right now between ventures and aces. I've done everything I can to make the ventures more surfy, riptide pivot cups, their softest bushings, flat washers, sanded the shit out of the top cone to where it's a little smaller than the stock one, but it's no use. They do turn better than stock, but still nowhere near good. I'm halfway considering just splitting the difference, and riding indy's like a fucking casual. Wtf.

Kinda have this madness too. I have way more pop on ventures and they grind perfectly, but for whatever reason they make no comply tricks really hard (I do a lot of them) and I miss the ace turn. Forcing myself to stick with the ventures for now though.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #1573 on: February 20, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bones bushings. if you weigh 170 to 180 ride the hards. That's all ima say.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1574 on: February 20, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
indy super soft bushings and flat washers

Banned from the room

« Reply #1575 on: February 20, 2021, 08:52:09 PM »

That's what I'm using. Well kinda. The snow is fucking it up

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1576 on: February 20, 2021, 09:00:21 PM »
Krux inverted kingpin in 5.8 standard update for anyone interested:

Ive been skating these for about 6 weeks and the jury is still out on whether or not I like them. There is definitely NO kingpin hang up on smiths, but its definitely made bs smiths harder although FS smiths are super easy now. Few things Ive noticed, not sure if its due to the kingpin or my form but: I seem to slip into lip slide alot easier than I remember before (FS & BS) for BS I end up dipping the board all the way to the ground a lot as in my front truck basically nose manuals. Im blaming this on not doing the trick much recently, but I definitely noticed it being harder, even harder than the kingpin hangups I experienced on a standard kingpin.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #1577 on: February 20, 2021, 09:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's what I'm using. Well kinda. The snow is fucking it up
we got a lot - keep our heads up though 40’s this week coming up. This is the worst of it

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #1578 on: February 20, 2021, 10:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They're a fantastic fit for the 8.25"/14" Primitive deck, so far, it's my favorite combo with them; it's a really comfortable deck with a really nice shape.

After a dozen sessions my Ventures broke in and turn great now. Or I’ve just gotten used to them.

Either way I’m gonna skate em til I hit axles 😋

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1579 on: February 21, 2021, 12:47:48 AM »
Love the feeling of Ventures on the setup today, they really shine on long-ish decks with a short WB. Can't beat the pinch the baseplate slide is heaven.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #1580 on: February 21, 2021, 06:47:14 AM »

Not a fan of bones bushings, I feel like the built in washer thing just sinks in and kills them

I'm running the softest riptide bushings right now with flat washers. Better, but I hopped on my cruiser with ace 55's and those 9in trucks turned waaaaaaaaaay better than the 8.25 ventures. Even after all the mods, it was laughable honestly. The ventures legit felt like they didn't turn in comparison.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1581 on: February 21, 2021, 07:08:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Not a fan of bones bushings, I feel like the built in washer thing just sinks in and kills them

Expand Quote
[close]

I'm running the softest riptide bushings right now with flat washers. Better, but I hopped on my cruiser with ace 55's and those 9in trucks turned waaaaaaaaaay better than the 8.25 ventures. Even after all the mods, it was laughable honestly. The ventures legit felt like they didn't turn in comparison.

Ride ace then.

I use both. The turn on ace is great, the best. Venture have other advantages, pop, stability....ace bring the effective wb in the most, venture push the effective wb out the most.

Right now im usually on venture lo’s, often with bones, and if the wheels are small enough I don’t mind the turn at all.
But Gesmar’s gotta Gesmar.

In a different comment you mentioned Indys, and they do have some middle of the road qualities to both trucks. I’ve been skating some 139 forged hollows, less extreme than the other two brands mentioned. Something always feels like it’s missing with indys....
Ventures are cooler.

IpathCats

« Reply #1582 on: February 21, 2021, 07:19:40 AM »

Ride ace then.

I use both. The turn on ace is great, the best. Venture have other advantages, pop, stability....ace bring the effective wb in the most, venture push the effective wb out the most.

Right now im usually on venture lo’s, often with bones, and if the wheels are small enough I don’t mind the turn at all.
But Gesmar’s gotta Gesmar.

In a different comment you mentioned Indys, and they do have some middle of the road qualities to both trucks. I’ve been skating some 139 forged hollows, less extreme than the other two brands mentioned. Something always feels like it’s missing with indys....
Ventures are cooler.

I agree with the feeling of something missing from indy's. That's what started my madness in the first place. I skated indy's for YEARS, got a pair of aces, and went down the madness tunnel. Personally, I think ventures look like shit, but being the last USA made truck is pretty cool, and I guess they are kinda hip right now with the whole 90's hip hop and baggy clothes being in style again. After skating around the truck spectrum, I feel like indy's are just the sensible middle ground between aces and ventures. They do everything well, and they grind the best (not pinch, grind). But they don't give you that amazing turn from ace, or that superior pop from ventures. My standard (not trying to pop the fuck out of it) kickflips, were legitimately twice as high on ventures. It really made me want to give them a chance.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1583 on: February 21, 2021, 07:50:34 AM »
I’m not big into bushing experimentation, but a conical bottom bushing in ventures makes the turn a little quicker.
You lost me at ventures looking bad tho, ventures and ace (22s/33s) look the coolest. Old ventures look even better. Phil Shao or Dan Drehobl....Wade Speyer!?? Fuck. Their trucks looked amazing. Not to mention oh, pretty much everyone in penal code, mouse, trilogy.
I like the feel of turning, I find the talk of ventures not turning to be....dumb honestly. They turn. You slalom or whut. Ventures take a little longer to break in, and the top washer does bind, but they turn. The kingpin is shorter (on the hi’s), which is a feature with positive aspects, and drawbacks. Use shorter bushing and flat washer.
Depends on what I’m in the mood for, but the feeling of the pop is the most important criteria for me with trucks.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #1584 on: February 21, 2021, 07:54:46 AM »
Ventures look the best and it’s not even close. 144 has been my truck of choice for a few months but I agree that’s something is always missing with Indy.

Also this:

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1585 on: February 21, 2021, 08:27:41 AM »
Ventures look the best and it’s not even close. 144 has been my truck of choice for a few months but I agree that’s something is always missing with Indy.

Also this:

That picture is so great.

In a completely non scientific way, for me, indys ride a little smaller, ventures a little bigger. What that nonsense is trying to say is if I like 144 indys, I’d be better off on 5.2 ventures. I’m basing this off of my own negligible skating, and then seeing pros from my generation size up from 5.0 lo’s to 139s.

IpathCats

« Reply #1586 on: February 21, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
I’m not big into bushing experimentation, but a conical bottom bushing in ventures makes the turn a little quicker.
You lost me at ventures looking bad tho, ventures and ace (22s/33s) look the coolest. Old ventures look even better. Phil Shao or Dan Drehobl....Wade Speyer!?? Fuck. Their trucks looked amazing. Not to mention oh, pretty much everyone in penal code, mouse, trilogy.
I like the feel of turning, I find the talk of ventures not turning to be....dumb honestly. They turn. You slalom or whut. Ventures take a little longer to break in, and the top washer does bind, but they turn. The kingpin is shorter (on the hi’s), which is a feature with positive aspects, and drawbacks. Use shorter bushing and flat washer.
Depends on what I’m in the mood for, but the feeling of the pop is the most important criteria for me with trucks.

Conical bottom is a good idea. Might be my last attempt at fixing them. I'm not saying they DON'T turn. But in comparison to ace, it feels like that. I've had this set of 5.6 hollows on my last 3 decks, and I kinda got used to it, I could skate don't get me wrong. But when I stepped back on some ace's, it was a whole 'nother world.

Edit: the looks thing is subjective really, the logo is cool, but the trucks themselves look like some walmart bs to me personally. I prefer the slim look of aces. Again, indy sits in the middle of this for me. I don't think they look great, but they're ok. 

Niceblackman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #1587 on: February 21, 2021, 12:40:30 PM »
Back on the venture train... I don’t know why I want to skate these so bad.

6.1s on an 8.5 Fancy Lad deck with a 14.25wb.  I had them on my Girl G053 shape for a day and it was awful.  I couldn’t gotten used to it but I was t feeling it.

Skated them stock for a week (having lost weight being able to ride trucks stock has put my madness into overdrive with trying trucks out all over agin) and they were fine, not as deep of a turn as the aces I was on but that’s to be expected. 

Then I put some thunder 97a bushings in with flat washers top and bottom... now these things have kicked in.  I imagine this is the way they feel with bones.  Pretty surfy, but still stable.  The turn isn’t super deep but it’s smooth and it’s quicker than with a barrel bushing.

I’ve been skating them with 52mm F4 tablets but today I’m gonna try with some risers with 56mm F4 classics.

This is me (trying to be a more positive person.  I’ve had that name for over 10yrs here on slap). I tried the 56’s today with no risers and I skated them fine but could definitely notice more wheelbite.  To the point where I tightened up my trucks a little.

I’ll put the 52s back on. The conical bottom bushing with flat washers too and bottom gives ventures the best turn for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #1588 on: February 21, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »
I'm shocked how anyone tries to compare a venture to an ace......such different trucks....

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1589 on: February 21, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
why dont my oranges taste like lemons? this needs to be fixed