Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369110 times)

burner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 94
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3960 on: February 15, 2023, 08:45:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I was skating venture v lights on 14.25 wheelbase without a problem. Loved it.

Again my question:
Want to get lo‘s, but not sure if lights or hollows. What do you prefer and why?

I don’t want the basic heavy ones.
[close]

For 5.2 LO I'd go with V-lights, V-hollows may get too light underfoot especially with an 8" deck (I'm assuming). Can't go wrong with either especially if the price difference isn't too great. 5.2 TI would be overkill.

+1 for the V-lights from me too, especially if you’re already skating V-lights in the hi’s. Hollow Lights are noticeably lighter and take some getting used too so it might throw you off by going lo and hollow light at once (that’s my experience anyway, I went hollow but went back to a solid axle and preferred it). But I’m back on v-light hi now anyway  ;D

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3961 on: February 15, 2023, 09:00:39 AM »
Just realized I’m skating v-hollows and not lights right now, but 8.5‘s.
Want to go a bit more back to the roots with an 8“ setup.

V-lights are cheaper here, but that’s not really a reason to get them over hollows.

Before the 8.5“ trucks I had 8“ high hollows on an 8.25 deck btw

Can I get some more opinions on lights vs hollows?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:11:16 AM by SlapMcKracken »

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #3962 on: February 15, 2023, 09:14:30 AM »
Just get the standards. The cast baseplate makes em compatible with a wider range of boards.

They aren't heavy anyway, so no need to seek out lighter options unless you specifically want a lower truck.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3963 on: February 15, 2023, 09:20:44 AM »
Just realized I’m skating v-hollows and not lights right now, but 8.5‘s.
Want to go a bit more back to the roots with an 8“ setup.

V-lights are cheaper here, but that’s not really a reason to get them over hollows.

Before the 8.5“ trucks I had 8“ high hollows on an 8.25 deck btw

Can I get some more opinions on lights vs hollows?

If you're sizing down to 8", I wouldn't get the v-hollows since your overall setup will already be much lighter than your 8.5" setup. It could feel too light as mentioned above by @burner

You would save some money by getting the standard lows and using the forged plates from your 8.5 ventures btw instead of buying a pair of new v-lights. Then if that feels too light on an 8", at least you'll have the cast plates to swap in.
p.s. Daddy Ben Degros loves the heft of standard venture lows
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:58:54 AM by notinternetfamous »

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3964 on: February 15, 2023, 09:54:24 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm thinking of buying myself a baker or deathwish, my favorite brands and it's been a very long time since I rode them with Ventures.. Does it work with these trucks ? Wheelbase is 14.25, and many say Venture only works with a 14 wheelbase..

Come to think of it, when I was skating Venture and Baker a long time ago, I wasn't thinking about all those wheelbase settings or whatever.. fucking madness !  :-\

(And we see Bryan O'dwyer or John dilo during a period skating venture with Deathwish perfectly.. maybe it's all in the head..)
[close]

Dilo skates Ventures on a 14.5” wheelbase and he seems to be doing ok. Chandler Burton skates them on a 14.69” wheelbase and he’s not doing too bad either. It all depends on your proportions and preferences.

Thanks for your answer ! I'm going on a Baker 8.125 with the 5.25 High V light  I think it will be perfect and pretty much light (plus I also like having the board a little bigger than the trucks! Magic carpet  :P )

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3965 on: February 15, 2023, 10:07:46 AM »
Honestly the wheelbase just bugs me mentally….if I’m having a bad day, I’ll look at my board and declare that it’s a fucking longboard!!  If you size down to an 8.125, with 5.25 it’ll be a nice light set up and functionally it won’t bug you.  I think it’ll give you a chance to skate an 8s more which should commonly have shorter wheelbases….

I’m on mindys now and when I look at my board, the trucks are in the right spot but I whine about the pop.  The extension of the wheelbase, I assume shortens the nose/tail, which is one of the key factors in the pop of ventures…..so short of buying boards with the perfect wheelbase, you can’t have it all….

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3966 on: February 15, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »
I wouldn't describe Venture Lows as hefty, however, they have surprisingly good pop.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #3967 on: February 15, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »
Good call…I thought we were talking highs…

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3968 on: February 15, 2023, 10:41:22 AM »
Just ordered lo lights, cause they were really cheap.
Let’s see how I like the 8“ setup and if I stick to it or go back to a bit bigger decks.

Justinshreds

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3969 on: February 15, 2023, 11:18:33 AM »
Let’s see how I like the 8“ setup and if I stick to it or go back to a bit bigger decks.

Where did you get them? Been thinking of picking up a set.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3970 on: February 15, 2023, 12:06:38 PM »
dilo (cast 5.6 & 5.8)

burton (hollow 5.2hi & 5.6)

if anyone gets a pair of the burtons and wants silver baseplates
hit my dms
when are these gonna be in shops?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #3971 on: February 15, 2023, 01:38:26 PM »
I wouldn't describe Venture Lows as hefty, however, they have surprisingly good pop.

Heavier than you think.
I believe 5.0 lo’s weigh around 340 g or some shit

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3972 on: February 15, 2023, 04:24:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you get them? Been thinking of picking up a set.

Germany:)
Was the last pair anyway.

Banned from the room

« Reply #3973 on: February 15, 2023, 05:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well I tried the 5.2 high v lights.. I must say that I have a prefence for the standards!

The trucks are really set back, wheelbase much larger than the raws, so a harder pop to control, especially for someone short like me .. yet I'm on a board with 14 wheelbase, but as I said pop is harder to control.. the board goes up much faster, I can't imagine that on a 14.25 or bigger..

No height difference, I measured both trucks next to each other.. and the weight difference is not significant..

I think lights and hollow are better on lows, but not highs! At least, that's my personal experience!
[close]

there is definitely a height difference between cast and forged. I found the pop feel between cast and forged to be pretty similar since the wheelbase with forged is slightly longer which makes the tail feel shorter. if your kicks are super mellow, than I suppose you would get a quicker pop on forged plates

I agree that the v lights are not significantly lighter than standards which is why when people Frankensteined their trucks before the v cast hollows came out, people tended to use Ti hangers or the v hollow hangers.
[close]

Yes ! ;) and as I said, on V lights I have a lot of trouble with pop and timing! The board goes too high and some tricks I have to lift my legs very high ! Like I said, maybe because I'm small and I have small legs haha

And I don't know.. the feel of the ventures raws is so.. unique, I like to feel my board and a soft pop.. And I think to myself, maybe all these v lights/Hollows are finally just crap marketing .. 20 years ago nobody thought about the weight of trucks ..Well I skate 8.00, so I don't necessarily have the heaviest board..  ;D

I never thought of that before. I do have trouble jumping as high as my board a lot. If lows came in 5.6 I'd try switching but rn I need more truck than less pop on nollie flip variations.

I wonder if I rode a flatter board if I would be better at like little chipper nollie fs flips. The jump is the only thing stopping me from locking that one in. I usually land one foot on and in the fakie splits and call it a day.

Getting that trick is a life long dream too.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3974 on: February 15, 2023, 06:05:21 PM »
Is there any visual indication you can tell the difference between a Standard vs. Forged Baseplate? im assuming Team vs. Forged means same thing for Thunder?
Im guessing Team/Standard = non hollow, non lite, non pro model. your base model, standard, heaviest version of the truck. I see there may be some crossover here at least for Thunders that offer the standard plate with a special hangar.

* Edit - I didn't even see the last page / maybe hadn't loaded it from the last time I was online, so missed the post from @rocklobster which is really good showing all the relevant info.

To look at on a board, the forged baseplate is thinner and usually way more shiny than the cast plate, which is thicker and a more "normal" looking metal, usually same as the hanger in materials, when raw / polished / not painted.

To look at without being mounted, the forged plate has a lot more cut away indentation on the underside as well, whereas the cast plate is more solid right through.

The words "forged hollow" usually refer to the forged material baseplate and the hollow kingpin.

Standard, Team, or other words are more for the cast baseplates and regular kingpin and axles.

I did notice the new image for the stock polished products have the angle to show the height of the baseplates way better too, which I think has been intentional to help with things.

New white bushings on the ti axle trucks too.

https://venturetrucks.net/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

burner

« Reply #3975 on: February 15, 2023, 09:17:08 PM »

You would save some money by getting the standard lows and using the forged plates from your 8.5 ventures btw instead of buying a pair of new v-lights. Then if that feels too light on an 8", at least you'll have the cast plates to swap in.

Underrated comment.

This is what I do, just buy the best sale Venture at the time, and then can mix and match to get what works best for the set up. I bought standard 5.2 lo, super cheap, then swapped out the cast for spare forged, making them v-lights. And then put the cast on some hollow lights 5.2 hi, so I got the weight saving hollow axle,  butalso the height/bulk of the cast plate (so the trucks are basically cast hollow, but I didn’t have to fork out for the hollow kingpin, which is basically irrelevant weight saving). Works for me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3976 on: February 15, 2023, 09:29:36 PM »
I thought the kingpin weight savings was higher than axle?

Hollow kingpin solid axle is weird to me. If you're saving weight go for it. And hollow axles are often stronger.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3977 on: February 15, 2023, 11:09:31 PM »
Does Ben Degroes skate the low hollows?
He did a review on the hollows four years ago

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3978 on: February 16, 2023, 12:17:58 AM »

Yeah it was the 5.2 LO V-Hollow
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burner

« Reply #3979 on: February 16, 2023, 12:27:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, but I think the latest are just regular cast lo, no hollow anything.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 12:39:42 AM by burner »

burner

« Reply #3980 on: February 16, 2023, 12:35:24 AM »
I thought the kingpin weight savings was higher than axle?

Hollow kingpin solid axle is weird to me. If you're saving weight go for it. And hollow axles are often stronger.

feels like there'd be more weight saved from the axle than the kingpin, just because of width (even thought the kingpin in thicker) but I guess that also depends on the axle size, wider trucks would be even bigger weight saving with hollow. Do you know the weight of the v-cast hollows? Anyone? I thought I saw a post of the Kader (or Barrow) being weighed but now I can't find it. Anyone know the weight (any size will do).

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3981 on: February 16, 2023, 01:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There’s at least a hollow kingpin in the video thumbnail.

burner

« Reply #3982 on: February 16, 2023, 02:29:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

There’s at least a hollow kingpin in the video thumbnail.

That's true.....but they're Indy Hollows. Ben switches over to Venture Lo at the end of the video, and says he'll stick with them to the axle, seems to be skating them in his most recent courthouse video.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3983 on: February 16, 2023, 06:05:46 AM »
Yup regular Lo with the cast baseplate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3984 on: February 16, 2023, 06:27:15 AM »
Thanks guys. I have determined mine are 5.2 Standard :) I think if I ever replace these I will try the 5.2 Lows and this will probably my go-to truck for 8-8.25" setups.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #3985 on: February 16, 2023, 07:44:37 AM »
Hello Venture crowd.

I’m thinking about venturing into another truck brand for a streetier setup.
Have some noob questions for ya.

1. Which boards are good with Ventures? IE brands, dimensions and such. I’m looking at the 8.5” range. Do you prefer longer tails with ventures? I’m looking at boards with at least 14.5”.

2. What’s the biggest wheels you’ve run without risers? Big guys, please respong.
Am I completely off if I suspect 5.8 V-cast or teams would be fine with 53-54 mm wheels?

Final question:
3. What about bushings? Everyone says I run my Indy’s tight, but for me they’re carvey and surfs great. Just shy of 260 lbs/117 kg. Can they fit Bones, or are there some hard aftermarket’s?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

IpathCats

« Reply #3986 on: February 16, 2023, 07:46:11 AM »
Hello Venture crowd.

1. Which boards are good with Ventures? IE brands, dimensions and such. I’m looking at the 8.5” range. Do you prefer longer tails with ventures? I’m looking at boards with at least 14.5”.

2. What’s the biggest wheels you’ve run without risers? Big guys, please respong.
Am I completely off if I suspect 5.8 V-cast or teams would be fine with 53-54 mm wheels?

Final question:
3. What about bushings? Everyone says I run my Indy’s tight, but for me they’re carvey and surfs great. Just shy of 260 lbs/117 kg. Can they fit Bones, or are there some hard aftermarket’s?

If people think your indys are tight, you'll probably be fine with venture stock.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #3987 on: February 16, 2023, 07:48:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello Venture crowd.

Final question:
[close]

If people think your indys are tight, you'll probably be fine with venture stock.

For a board in that size, easily my favorite was the griffin gass shape, girl. Short tail.
With ventures, my popping foot is closer to the tip of the tail/nose (kick/whatever you are trying to blast off from).
I don’t fuck with big wheels.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3988 on: February 16, 2023, 08:12:49 AM »
Hello Venture crowd.

Final question:

1. I like a long board with a short wheelbase, ideally 14.25 or less but I'll live with 14.38 if the deck is longer than 32. Alien Workshop / Habitat decks pair nicely with Ventures, I like that the 8.25 / 8.5 have the same length (32.25) and wheelbase (14.25). The use a mix of BBS for pro boards and DSM for team boards, so check out the dimensions on their websites before buying.

2. 53-54mm are fine for me without risers, I don't ride any bigger but I'm a small Asian, so the bigger guys can chime in.

3. They fit Bones but stock feels the most stable for me, but I'd suspect you should go aftermarket Indy medium hard or hard if you're bigger. The stock ones start out stiff by break in within the first session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burner

« Reply #3989 on: February 16, 2023, 08:45:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello Venture crowd.

Final question:
[close]

1. I like a long board with a short wheelbase, ideally 14.25 or less but I'll live with 14.38 if the deck is longer than 32. Alien Workshop / Habitat decks pair nicely with Ventures, I like that the 8.25 / 8.5 have the same length (32.25) and wheelbase (14.25). The use a mix of BBS for pro boards and DSM for team boards, so check out the dimensions on their websites before buying.

2. 53-54mm are fine for me without risers, I don't ride any bigger but I'm a small Asian, so the bigger guys can chime in.

3. They fit Bones but stock feels the most stable for me, but I'd suspect you should go aftermarket Indy medium hard or hard if you're bigger. The stock ones start out stiff by break in within the first session.

1. I’m currently riding the 8.75 Quasi with V-light 5.8, I think it’s 14.5, it’s my second 8.75 quasi, it’s been great.

2. I’ve been riding 56mm f4 97a, no issues on the v-lights no risers, their down to 54mm now, no problems - stable and carve/turn good. I’m 6.2 200lbs.

3. Agree with @rocklobster - stock is good, bones just never felt right to me, now I stick with cylinder and it’s best. I crank them a down to a few threads showing in front, none/one in the back (Im a back foot stearer). And yeah, if needs swap out for harder aftermarket, even just the bottom bushing, that works for me, still can swerve but stable.