Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369207 times)

burner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 94
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4320 on: April 28, 2023, 05:35:19 AM »
Weird they made them in sizes Yuto doesn't skate.

Agree with you, gotta make em also in the pro’s size or it’s just too cynical. Surprised they didn’t.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4321 on: April 28, 2023, 12:21:47 PM »
For those who made the switch from Indys to Ventures, how was it? I know the turn and wb are different and it's sort of a turning vs stability tradeoff but do you think it was worth it? Do you plan on sticking with Ventures?

I switched to Venture and ace from Indy at the same time..

The main reason I'm staying with Ventures over ace and indys is the pop feeling.

I mainly rode thunders growing up. Thunders have a lightning fast BANG of a pop.
Once I got my Ventures feeling more like my Aces in looseness it was a wrap. Same pop feeling same looseness as my Ace 44s but better stability and way less wheel bit than all other brands I've tried.

Even though my front trucks jingling and my back trucks nuts are always loose and ovaling my plate I feel confident I'll make it to the bottom of the hill no significant wobble. that back truck is getting dodgy tho. I gotta fix that rn while I'm thinking about it. 

I was mainly riding the Ace in cold weather anyway. I don't like their new truck too. The classic 44 and 33 was sick tho.

The one down side of Venture is how fast I can get to axle. Especially my back 50 groove. Shit looking a little like a Gullwing now and they are not that old. I think I started riding them on December 7th. Pearl Harbor Day.

[/url]

This is only about 4 months of wear. I bet I get like a total of 9 months out of this set. I have kinda a lot of axle showing this time and Im low key embarrassed I've barely done any tail sliding ::).  I did make a few curbs in that time.
I ain't worried.
It's worth it AF. There's only one truck that is 99.6 perfect.

Other trucks last longer but the feeling is the most important thing. Also made in sf. I don't wanna buy more Chinese crap than I absolute need to.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4322 on: April 28, 2023, 12:28:46 PM »
yuto v hollows
available in 5.2 hi and 5.6
available real soon

I love these. My green bushings ain't gonna work here tho. I'd be incredibly bummed out looking at that colour combo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4323 on: April 28, 2023, 01:02:39 PM »
Expand Quote
yuto v hollows
available in 5.2 hi and 5.6
available real soon

[close]

I love these. My green bushings ain't gonna work here tho. I'd be incredibly bummed out looking at that colour combo

Yeah, I'd throw in that slappy or ace low top ;)

* Looked it up and someone had said "5.2 Venture Lows with Bones Hardcore hard bushings."

Ventures.
Lows.
Bones Hard.

When you weigh a Benjamín (wet), and don't want to turn, at all...yet still kill it...not sure there is a tighter truck combo in existence.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 04:50:26 PM by Xen »

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 655
« Reply #4324 on: April 28, 2023, 05:09:16 PM »
For those who made the switch from Indys to Ventures, how was it? I know the turn and wb are different and it's sort of a turning vs stability tradeoff but do you think it was worth it? Do you plan on sticking with Ventures?
I just made the switch recently after essentially only skating Indys since my first "real" set up. It honestly only took me a session or so to get used to the Ventures, and I'm really liking how they feel. They're responsive and grind great. It's nice to have a lighter set up too. And I agree with everyone so far, the difference in turning isn't nearly as bad as most people say it is. I have the stock white bushings in mine with the nut pretty loose and they don't feel that different from my old Indys anymore. I'm a little curious about the loose conversion kit but I don't think I need them.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4325 on: April 28, 2023, 05:48:04 PM »
I’m curious about lights or hollows, but considering I typically skate decks with ~14.5” wheelbases, I fear the forged base plates will push my wheelbase into uncomfortable territory.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4326 on: April 28, 2023, 06:21:38 PM »
I’m curious about lights or hollows, but considering I typically skate decks with ~14.5” wheelbases, I fear the forged base plates will push my wheelbase into uncomfortable territory.

If you can find them The kaders or ted barrow ones are hollows on a cast plate. Which I think puts them at about a thunder. Maybe a hair longer.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4327 on: April 28, 2023, 06:30:32 PM »
Oh snap! Now this is an option. Alternatively, I suppose if I can’t find either of those, I could get lights or hollows and toss the light or hollow hangers onto my current cast baseplates, but I was hoping to avoid making Frankentrucks.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #4328 on: April 28, 2023, 06:38:49 PM »
Oh snap! Now this is an option. Alternatively, I suppose if I can’t find either of those, I could get lights or hollows and toss the light or hollow hangers onto my current cast baseplates, but I was hoping to avoid making Frankentrucks.

if you buy those you'd just be getting "official" frankentrucks so don't feel too awkward about it

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4329 on: April 29, 2023, 04:45:06 AM »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4330 on: April 29, 2023, 06:50:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The main reason I'm staying with Ventures over ace and indys is the pop feeling.

I mainly rode thunders growing up. Thunders have a lightning fast BANG of a pop.
Once I got my Ventures feeling more like my Aces in looseness it was a wrap. Same pop feeling same looseness as my Ace 44s but better stability and way less wheel bit than all other brands I've tried.

Even though my front trucks jingling and my back trucks nuts are always loose and ovaling my plate I feel confident I'll make it to the bottom of the hill no significant wobble. that back truck is getting dodgy tho. I gotta fix that rn while I'm thinking about it. 

I was mainly riding the Ace in cold weather anyway. I don't like their new truck too. The classic 44 and 33 was sick tho.

The one down side of Venture is how fast I can get to axle. Especially my back 50 groove. Shit looking a little like a Gullwing now and they are not that old. I think I started riding them on December 7th. Pearl Harbor Day.

[/url]

This is only about 4 months of wear. I bet I get like a total of 9 months out of this set. I have kinda a lot of axle showing this time and Im low key embarrassed I've barely done any tail sliding ::).  I did make a few curbs in that time.
I ain't worried.

Other trucks last longer but the feeling is the most important thing. Also made in sf. I don't wanna buy more Chinese crap than I absolute need to.

Fairly sure Venture have moved or are moving to Mexico. Indy's seem to have a bit better quality since moving to China. Country of manufacturing doesn't always correlate with quality or labor standards.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4331 on: April 29, 2023, 06:53:30 AM »
Man it's so weird that Venture seem to not work for me like others. With Indy I get huge pop. On my AH 8.25 Ventures felt long and clumsy after 3 sessions and my pop was not good, like oddly bad. Manuals felt horrible. They felt fine on the Passport 8:25 I had before, which is the shortest I feel OK skating at my height.

Another session I had Thunder cast on the same AH and was skating great. Put Indy Forged Ti on and could barely tell the difference other than the turn. I like the Venture stability and do like the Lows, but it's strange they just haven't panned out for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4332 on: April 29, 2023, 07:18:34 AM »
I think how we skate, and what we skate can make a world of difference......

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4333 on: April 29, 2023, 07:30:14 AM »
I mostly skate low impact shit- ledges about knee height and under, curbs, manny pads, small banks/carving around.

Like there's a manhole cover in front of my house. Every day I skate I skate a bit at home and ollie'ing over that is a nice warm up. With Ventures it feels like my tail doesn't suck up. Or just on flat ground things feel awkward and my kickflips rocket. There's a small sidewalk gap in front of my house as well and it feels desperate clearing that. Simple shit ya know? At the park there is a manny pad about curb height a bit higher and manuals on that feel horrible. But my other grinds and getting up on the taller ledges feels ok. Just popping over stuff feels like I'm simply not clearing it.

On Thunders or Indy's everything snaps up nice and sucks to the back foot. Nose manuals on the same pad feels great I'm not fighting to tip forward. On Indy's I especially overpop things sometimes. No rocket kickflips ever I actually ninja flip more than I rocket and often have to move my foot for a slower flick.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4334 on: April 29, 2023, 08:10:48 AM »
I mostly skate low impact shit- ledges about knee height and under, curbs, manny pads, small banks/carving around.

Like there's a manhole cover in front of my house. Every day I skate I skate a bit at home and ollie'ing over that is a nice warm up. With Ventures it feels like my tail doesn't suck up. Or just on flat ground things feel awkward and my kickflips rocket. There's a small sidewalk gap in front of my house as well and it feels desperate clearing that. Simple shit ya know? At the park there is a manny pad about curb height a bit higher and manuals on that feel horrible. But my other grinds and getting up on the taller ledges feels ok. Just popping over stuff feels like I'm simply not clearing it.

On Thunders or Indy's everything snaps up nice and sucks to the back foot. Nose manuals on the same pad feels great I'm not fighting to tip forward. On Indy's I especially overpop things sometimes. No rocket kickflips ever I actually ninja flip more than I rocket and often have to move my foot for a slower flick.

just curious, do you find you change your ollie footing between truck brands?

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4335 on: April 29, 2023, 09:50:27 AM »
Just ordered the Loose Truck Bushings. Not sure how I’ll like them, but I wanted to give them a shot. Does anyone use them? What’s your verdict?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4336 on: April 29, 2023, 10:27:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not much normally, although that's the first thing I check. I'm curious tho- how would you change yours?

And to the person wanting Venture on a 14.5 you're just asking for super heavy pop.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4337 on: April 29, 2023, 11:05:40 AM »
Oh, if you’re referring to me perhaps I misspoke. I currently skate cast ventures on 14.5”, I was interested in trying out some of the lighter ones. Eh, although my current deck may be <14.5” because it’s 8.475, but usually I skate 8.5’s with 14.5. I guess  the pop is heavy, but it’s not noticeably different from the indys I used to skate. Or if it is, I’m putting up with it because I prefer the stability over indys flopping around.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4338 on: April 29, 2023, 11:32:00 AM »
Crazy. I tried my Indy standards on this deck and it was night and day vs Ventures. Pop was so much better it baffles me that people find them similar.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4339 on: April 29, 2023, 11:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[/url]

I ain't worried.

[close]

Fairly sure Venture have moved or are moving to Mexico. Indy's seem to have a bit better quality since moving to China. Country of manufacturing doesn't always correlate with quality or labor standards.

Im not about shipping trucks across an ocean to savea buck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4340 on: April 29, 2023, 12:17:03 PM »
Just ordered the Loose Truck Bushings. Not sure how I’ll like them, but I wanted to give them a shot. Does anyone use them? What’s your verdict?

I've not ridden the Venture kit, but have used low tops with stock Ventures and Thunder bottoms. It helps for sure, but any low top (or a sanded down top will also work)...the bro science here is that you don't have to crank down the nut to get it flush and squash the tall bushing (making your trucks tight). It's what Slappy does with their stock bushings.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4341 on: April 29, 2023, 01:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[/url]

I ain't worried.

[close]

[close]

Im not about shipping trucks across an ocean to savea buck.

It's not simply to save a buck- the QC is better and they can actually get the inventory they needed consistently. Ermico couldn't often meet their demands, had discrepancies in bushing quality, and they had more cracks/axle warranties there.

Also, lots of shit from Mexico is still shipped along an ocean. Shipping is often a net lower carbon footprint than trucking by land.

The only potential argument is not wanting to support China as they have some sketchy politics. We don't know what the Indy factories are like there so we are just assuming they are bad for some reason.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4342 on: April 29, 2023, 01:51:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not much normally, although that's the first thing I check. I'm curious tho- how would you change yours?

And to the person wanting Venture on a 14.5 you're just asking for super heavy pop.

i also don't change much tbh, but having seen some comments on here about people preferring their back foot closer to the tip vs closer to trucks bolts when riding ventures i thought i'd ask
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 02:37:36 PM by iw0 »

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4343 on: April 29, 2023, 01:57:54 PM »
I recently tried the cast hollows on a 14.5, the Chocolate Carl shape.  It was definitely heavy.  Ollies felt really solid and front 180s were solid.  Flip tricks were a little tougher.  Nose manual tricks really suffered.  For some reason, backside 180s were amazing.  Never had em that good in my life. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4344 on: April 29, 2023, 04:37:14 PM »
Back 180s are always better for me on a heftier/longer board.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4345 on: April 29, 2023, 06:05:50 PM »

Yes I got a few sets just to experiment and see how they worked, as well as passed one set around for others to try.

They are really good for two main things, with different results:

1. If the stock bushings are a bit too hard / trucks a bit too tight for what you want

2. If the trucks are really worn down and you need to have more kingpin clearance or are wearing out your kingpin nut / top bushing washer area.

Same stock bottom bushing, and just a lower top bushing of the same duro, so having the nut flush will have a very loose truck feel, then tightening it down a bit more will still give you more turn as well as a bit more kingpin clearance, or tightened down a lot will have the same feel as normal bushings and turn with a lot more clearance / almost no hang up if you grind the kiingpin down as well, either naturally or with an angle grinder.

Some of the lighter weight kids who just could not turn easily on stock bushings and others who ride super loose trucks were more in the first category, while others, myself included, were more in the second category, as I prefer lower tops with the nut done up about the same, which gives a way lower kingpin height and a lot more clearance once I angle grinded the top of the kingpin off to where I wanted it.  I could still easily get the nut on and off and had enough space to loosen it off some or tighten it down more if needed.

I know I have posted something like this before, but hopefully with key words this might be easier to look up for anyone else as well.

https://venturetrucks.net/

Venture loose trucks conversion kit (low head bushings)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

« Reply #4346 on: April 29, 2023, 06:25:04 PM »
Any reason why I shouldn’t just slice a regular bushing down to loose size?

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4347 on: April 29, 2023, 06:38:33 PM »
They won't be green bushings

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4348 on: April 29, 2023, 06:46:32 PM »

That is exactly what I have been doing for a long time, which works just fine for me cutting them down to fit whatever trucks or need that the person has, but some others had said when I had done that for them, the top bushing is too narrow and causes the truck to move around a bit more.  I tend to politely disagree, but that is down to their own experience and I know some people prefer to buy things than have to modify them at all, saving issues with messing it up or cutting a finger or whatever.

I am all for a free or low cost option with existing parts over buying new things to use - goodness knows how many sets of unwanted brand new and some used stock bushings I am sitting on from others always changing them out, most even before they leave the shop - but at least this is something that is not just a stock bushing replacement and does have a valid use or two, so I get why they have released this product and kind of wish that other brands still had low top bushings (Indy) or Thunder brought out their version as well.

The cartons of the low Indy bushings I still have from when they all went on clearance (2015-2019) are really good for my setups, not needing to cut or change anything and I can put them straight in and away I go, so I definitely get why people would want that rather than whatever modifications they might have to make.

Expand Quote
[close]

Ha yeah, they did well with the OG green colour of them didn't they?!?

I know people who have bought them purely because they wanted the green bushings over anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4349 on: April 29, 2023, 09:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Red / Purple / Green are scientifically proven to be the best colors for Venture bushings, in that order.

Never fuck with the white ones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m