Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369241 times)

Banned from the room

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4650 on: August 27, 2023, 09:13:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I would really like to see PJ ride a set of 6.1s with some cut bushings and some big ass 60mm wheels.

I'm curious AF to see what happens. I bet it would have little effect other than a slight style and go to trick shift.

I wanna see PJ do a super slow flipping big flipper and roll away a G but squirrelly.

I don't wanna see it. I need to see it. So I can live through him I guess.

PJ is my official adopted son starting now
[close]

maybe you could get eli to do this

i’m not sure there are advantages to going past 8” wide trucks.
now i do wish i could actually skate around, freely with the big wheels, so then i guess you would need to go wider for proportions….
 oh i dunno

Ijust wanna see what still works and what doesn't.

I already know that Eli can skate anything you hand him. Including a dance hall bird.
Suplex late triple v flip a dancer. Catch her and dip her crazy low. Switch stance I have seen that guy since he was like young young young

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4651 on: August 27, 2023, 09:29:25 PM »
What bushings do you guys run in the ventures once the stock ones get blown out or cracked?

I ordered the loose conversion ones and they were way too turny I couldn’t control them so I kept the bottom bushing but put an Indy top bushing in and it was a lot better

The most common brand was Deluxe Supercush for a long time, but they don't seem like they are readily available any more, for most people in most areas.

Indy cylinder bushings seem to be the other most common one I see / have people buy to put in their Ventures, as they are about the same shape, readily available and come in the various duro options that means you can get pretty much whatever you like.

Conical bushings do work too, although sometimes they don't look like they sit so well on the Venture baseplate, such as Bones bushings, along with a few others people have run, including Doh Dohs, or any other cylinder bushing sets.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

shawngreg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #4652 on: August 28, 2023, 07:38:06 AM »
i've got a standard pair of 6.1's on a 9" eagle and madness is making me curious about putting titaniums on it, but i cant find them anywhere in that size.  i found v-hollows but i'm skeptical they would make any difference.   anyone have input?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #4653 on: August 28, 2023, 07:59:33 AM »
i've got a standard pair of 6.1's on a 9" eagle and madness is making me curious about putting titaniums on it, but i cant find them anywhere in that size.  i found v-hollows but i'm skeptical they would make any difference.   anyone have input?

for me, hollow/light/exxxtra lite, etc, is only useful to me, if it’s a size i shouldn’t really be riding.
i understand that my opinion is not helpful in this situation. i’ve tried to really combo some
stuff together to get larger setups to ‘work’, and finally decided to stop fighting it, and size down to wherever i didn’t need to carefully consider sizes and components. for me, it’s embarrassingly small. my setup looks dumb. and larger boards are better for some things (if i was skating fast, i’d want larger than i ride now for certain).
i really liked 8.75 trucks, well, ace classic 55s, indy 159s, and thunder 151s, i liked those all more than the next size down in those brands. i stopped messing with big boards before 6.1s, but those have a geometry, from what i hear, might be even more to my liking,
compared to other ventures.
anyways, i’m in the weeds here, and off track. in my experience, a big board is just a big board, good for some stuff, shit for others. it’s still big, even if it’s a smidge lighter.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4654 on: August 28, 2023, 08:26:05 AM »

Think this is just a waste of your time man, the difference is small.

shawngreg

« Reply #4655 on: August 28, 2023, 08:33:13 AM »
thanks bros.  i'm 6'3, 200lbs with a size 13 foot so realistically i should be able to handle a little extra weight

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4656 on: August 28, 2023, 11:08:13 AM »
Yeah, I’d guess 6.1 ventures are still a fair amount lighter than the Indy/ace counterparts….regular raws should still be a manageable set up.  I’ve had bigger set ups with Indy’s or Aces and with big wheels and rails, the set up seems like a bit too much….cruiser territory…

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4657 on: August 28, 2023, 11:27:15 AM »
ventures are my favorite trucks. full stop.

i can find something i like, about every truck i’ve tried.
i’ve never skated my best on venture hi’s. hoping to figure that out, sooner than later.
when everyone sized up, out of the 5.0 lo’s, a fair amount of folks in my area went to indy 139s. the stage 10 139s are easier for me to skate, than 5.2 hi’s. as trucks and boards get wider still, i think i appreciate the reduction in effective wb, that other trucks have, compared to venture.

good point in that ventures are already light.

i’m a lot shorter, a little lighter, and a size 10-10.5 shoe. a 7.75-8 board is preferred, except for the look.
all to say, me being a judgey jerk, if the board feels too heavy, the shit is too big. i’m sure i’m repeating myself.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 03:06:40 PM by Ok »

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4658 on: August 28, 2023, 01:13:18 PM »
Anybody got a pair of forged baseplates they're willing to send my way? Name the price
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 07:44:08 PM by AlumarX »

runespliffberg

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4659 on: August 28, 2023, 04:03:00 PM »
Alright, quick update after skating the 5.6 standards again (coming from thunder), green Riptide conical bushings, no bottom washer. I weigh about 150lbs, and had the kingpin nut flush for the first session, but it was wheelbite city on 52mm conical fulls. Not to mention unstable setting up for flip tricks (probably because of the conical bushings). I usually never do this, but I cranked the kingpin nut down a thread and a half and now they’re perfect. They turn really well, I love the pop feel and grind feel. The wider WB is still throwing me off with a lot of my tricks, but I really dig the feel of these trucks, and I’m hoping I can adjust to them after another few sessions. That’s it, that’s the update.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4660 on: August 28, 2023, 07:21:25 PM »
Anybody got a pair of forged baseplates they're willing to send my way?

Same here, noticed the hardware mounting holes on my forged and cast baseplates are getting really worn down and oval shaped from the recent street sessions. Been on the look out for Ventures on clearance, but only 5.0 / 5.2 which seems like a waste if I only cannibalize the baseplate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Banned from the room

« Reply #4661 on: August 28, 2023, 07:27:32 PM »
thanks bros.  i'm 6'3, 200lbs with a size 13 foot so realistically i should be able to handle a little extra weight

I've heard bad things about ti axles. Ill definitely never ride hollows again if I can help it.
When I'm feeling strong I like to stomp my tricks like I got big ass Clydesdale hooves with frickin bear traps nailed to the bottom and a 600 pound bird.
Do a fakie v zeta g style. Stepping on shit and making noise. Stomp a one footer pointed at a tourist who won't get out the way.
Speed check a passerby like it's 1995.

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #4662 on: August 28, 2023, 08:20:58 PM »

Haven't tried the titaniums, but when I was skating 6.1s I used both the standard and v-hollow. Much prefer the standard cast, for some reason I cant get into the forged baseplate, when I see where the rear bolt holes are so close to the edge of the baseplate freaks me out bit, not because of the structural reason, it just seems like an odd design. Its probably the turn though, and maybe just the bushings just need a change. Whenever I jump on my dane 1 cruiser with my axled cast 6.1s I am always pleasantly surprised how loose it is, probably due to the nicely broken in blue indy bushings on there. But anyway, I am back on 151s, which are I think my forever truck at this point...

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4663 on: August 29, 2023, 06:55:15 AM »

i’ve never skated my best on venture hi’s. hoping to figure that out, sooner than later.
when everyone sized up, out of the 5.0 lo’s, a fair amount of folks in my area went to indy 139s. the stage 10 139s are easier for me to skate, than 5.2 hi’s. as trucks and boards get wider still, i think i appreciate the reduction in effective wb, that other trucks have, compared to venture.

i’m a lot shorter, a little lighter, and a size 10-10.5 shoe. a 7.75-8 board is preferred, except for the look.
all to say, me being a judgey jerk, if the board feels too heavy, the shit is too big. i’m sure i’m repeating myself.

I really identify with this statement you made here. I fall in love with almost any gear I run with.

That being said, some gear feels more “right” quicker than others. And I will say, my recent return to ventures has been a really fun experiment. Immediately they just felt like they provided the “something” I was looking for, but couldn’t articulate.

Readjusting for flip tricks has been interesting. I was puzzled to find my flip tricks worked better the wider I spread my stance. It was really weird to me.

I ended up watching Prod videos (similar board dims and trucks) and noticed his front foot position for flip tricks was very high, towards the nose, in the pocket near bolts. Almost where I’d been putting my foot. I just straight copied his stance and voila! Flips and Ollie-in slides and grinds on ledges have been way more consistent.

Is this a “me” thing, or has anyone talked about it here already and I missed it?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #4664 on: August 29, 2023, 07:00:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really identify with this statement you made here. I fall in love with almost any gear I run with.

That being said, some gear feels more “right” quicker than others. And I will say, my recent return to ventures has been a really fun experiment. Immediately they just felt like they provided the “something” I was looking for, but couldn’t articulate.

Readjusting for flip tricks has been interesting. I was puzzled to find my flip tricks worked better the wider I spread my stance. It was really weird to me.

I ended up watching Prod videos (similar board dims and trucks) and noticed his front foot position for flip tricks was very high, towards the nose, in the pocket near bolts. Almost where I’d been putting my foot. I just straight copied his stance and voila! Flips and Ollie-in slides and grinds on ledges have been way more consistent.

Is this a “me” thing, or has anyone talked about it here already and I missed it?

Shane O'neil foot position is fun to watch too..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4665 on: August 29, 2023, 07:27:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Shane O'neil foot position is fun to watch too..

i tried the board i think shane rides, with the same trucks and wheels, and couldn’t do it. years of balancing my popping foot, off of the tip of the tail/nose, due to both ventures and liking short boards, makes his foot positioning of deep in the pocket (i mean on switch stuff that dudes foot is damn near the bolts) too odd for me. seemed like a lot of advantages if i could figure it out. couldn’t.

the foot positioning is really interesting to watch, and attempt to emulate. i can’t keep track of the details on my head, so it’s just a vague notion by the time i get onto my board. for ventures i absolutely have my popping foot, as close to the tip of the nose/tail as possible.
i’d like to get my front further down/back, on kickflips, for height, but i just can’t do it.

ventures pop the best for me, well the lo’s and the 5.8s. i struggle with 5.2 hi’s, liked 5.0 hi’s except they look insane. can’t figure out why i just don’t like the 5.2 hi’s. i think i just need to skate them and who cares about the results. my mind is a wasteland

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #4666 on: August 29, 2023, 09:45:05 AM »
A lot of the footage you see of Shane he’s wearing a hat…..it’s not to keep those whips of golden hair out of his eyes but it’s to hide his pointy ears…..he is an elf….and probably uses magic.  Him, Sean Malto….young Tyler Bledstoe… all Elves….

I haven’t noticed much difference in my 5.2 vs 5.6’s.  I’ve never skated the lows but I’m liking the pop, turn, flip ability and weight of them. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4667 on: August 29, 2023, 04:31:44 PM »
A lot of the footage you see of Shane he’s wearing a hat…..it’s not to keep those whips of golden hair out of his eyes but it’s to hide his pointy ears…..he is an elf….and probably uses magic.  Him, Sean Malto….young Tyler Bledstoe… all Elves….

I haven’t noticed much difference in my 5.2 vs 5.6’s.  I’ve never skated the lows but I’m liking the pop, turn, flip ability and weight of them.

bledsoe is an elf. also possibly has some truck madness, i’ve seen footage of him skating thunder and indy. he and lucas seemed to rotate a bit there.

i haven’t gotten around to buying 5.6s. i should have tried the hi’s, with a forged plate to get lower, but i gave all of my forged stuff away. i feel like a goofus, holding gear, and then inevitably i want to try something a few years later. i’m really not sure why i liked the pop so much on 5.8s, and not on 5.2s. that doesn’t make sense. it’s not the first time it’s happened to me: don’t like indy 149s, really like indy 159s, don’t like ace classic 44s, reeeeeally like ace classic 55s. i should probably be locked up.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #4668 on: August 30, 2023, 12:17:18 PM »
Madness is getting me. Venture is the only major brand I haven’t tried. I mainly want them cause the look, they’re the best looking trucks on the market IMHO. Not worried about the turning. I’m 248lbs, even Krux turn fine for me once dialed to my liking. Also don’t expect them to replace my Indys. I just want to try ‘em 🤤

shawngreg

« Reply #4669 on: August 30, 2023, 02:57:03 PM »
Madness is getting me. Venture is the only major brand I haven’t tried. I mainly want them cause the look, they’re the best looking trucks on the market IMHO. Not worried about the turning. I’m 248lbs, even Krux turn fine for me once dialed to my liking. Also don’t expect them to replace my Indys. I just want to try ‘em 🤤

JOIN US

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4670 on: August 30, 2023, 03:03:33 PM »
personally i never looked back
if they ever bless us with wider lows its over
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4671 on: August 30, 2023, 03:46:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

bledsoe is an elf. also possibly has some truck madness, i’ve seen footage of him skating thunder and indy. he and lucas seemed to rotate a bit there.

i haven’t gotten around to buying 5.6s. i should have tried the hi’s, with a forged plate to get lower, but i gave all of my forged stuff away. i feel like a goofus, holding gear, and then inevitably i want to try something a few years later. i’m really not sure why i liked the pop so much on 5.8s, and not on 5.2s. that doesn’t make sense. it’s not the first time it’s happened to me: don’t like indy 149s, really like indy 159s, don’t like ace classic 44s, reeeeeally like ace classic 55s. i should probably be locked up.

I asked Bledsoe about that and he answered that he was on Thunder for so long that he wanted to just try other things. Similar to how he said in an interview that he always wanted to skate Half Cabs so he's doing that on his own volition and Vans sends him boxes. He said he's back on Thunder lights and they're his favorite, but he often reposts old footage and a lot of his Land part was on the experiments.

I saw Lucas was removed from the Thunder page, which is a crime on their part. He had a truck recently too.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4672 on: August 30, 2023, 04:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I asked Bledsoe about that and he answered that he was on Thunder for so long that he wanted to just try other things. Similar to how he said in an interview that he always wanted to skate Half Cabs so he's doing that on his own volition and Vans sends him boxes. He said he's back on Thunder lights and they're his favorite, but he often reposts old footage and a lot of his Land part was on the experiments.

I saw Lucas was removed from the Thunder page, which is a crime on their part. He had a truck recently too.

yeah….for all of thunders somewhat generic brand image, the team, or pros that rode them, always stoked me out: mj, ellington, lucas, (recently) wade, nate jones. tons.
and when i started skating again, in the mid 90s, i got thunders on my first complete. they feel very natural to me.

if i needed to just skate one truck, and never mess with them, i think i could skate 148s pretty easily, for most things. i don’t really like boards greater than 8”, so i don’t do this. with the 148s i’ve just chucked 56 mm wheels in and been ok. i prefer 147s, those feel the most natural, and like thunders always felt, to me, but i cannot skate a wheel greater than 52mm with them. blah. ramble. blah.

runespliffberg

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4673 on: August 30, 2023, 09:08:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah….for all of thunders somewhat generic brand image, the team, or pros that rode them, always stoked me out: mj, ellington, lucas, (recently) wade, nate jones. tons.
and when i started skating again, in the mid 90s, i got thunders on my first complete. they feel very natural to me.

if i needed to just skate one truck, and never mess with them, i think i could skate 148s pretty easily, for most things. i don’t really like boards greater than 8”, so i don’t do this. with the 148s i’ve just chucked 56 mm wheels in and been ok. i prefer 147s, those feel the most natural, and like thunders always felt, to me, but i cannot skate a wheel greater than 52mm with them. blah. ramble. blah.

Dude 148’s have been my go to truck after all my experimentation and truck madness after switching from strictly Indy’s for 10 years. They’re the only truck that feels right to me. Ventures extend the wb too much, and it really fucks up a lot of my tricks. Aces pull in the wb too much, and although I love the turn/feel, I fall out of long grinds on them. Thunders are perfect, and have a great grind, turn so good, and give life to my deck so the pop is great, not dead like with Indy’s. Overall Thunder is the best truck in my opinion. Are they bland? Yeah. Is the marketing cool? Pretty lame if you ask me. But they turn, grind, pop, and skate so fucking good. So if you ask me, that’s why they’re the GOAT truck. Fuck all that marketing shit, and whatever the trends are. Just do what feels good to you and makes you feel good on your board. *drops mic*

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4674 on: August 30, 2023, 09:43:57 PM »
Hit axle today on my back truck! I've been skating them for about six months. I've rotated them once. They went thru four decks and two sets of wheels. I don't see them making past this current deck, today was the first session with it.

I skate standard 6.1s with loose conversion bushings from day one. The gold baseplates are from Venue Skateboard's Venture collab. I bought some 5.2s and swapped the baseplates with the silver from the 6.1s.

I LOVE them. They took a lil getting used to, coming from a lifelong Indy and Ace rider, but once I got used to the turning and wheelbase, I fell in love.

The baseplate is my favorite part. It's HUGE. I love the fact that I have grooves on the inside of my baseplates.

The bushings are fucking awesome too. They don't freeze up in the cold, they make your trucks feel super loose, and they create grind clearance. I'm still barely grinding on the nut or kingpin. Definitely worth the extra $8. I hope they release them in more colors.

I can't wait to expose the axel more. It's motivating me right now to skate as much as much as possible.

One month update:
-I rotated my trucks one last time & Both Axels are totally exposed
-Loose conversion bushings shredded the excess naturally, making the turn and pinch even better
-Still have minimal kingpin interference on every grinds other than feebles

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #4675 on: August 31, 2023, 12:18:57 AM »

Me too! It's weird. I love Indys, but Ventures have been calling me for a while now for some reason. I think I have to pull the trigger at some point just for the heck of it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4676 on: August 31, 2023, 12:42:46 AM »

Depends, are you ready to be AWAKE?

Madness got me too, not feeling the cast baseplates as much, especially on a shorter deck (31.75 x 14.25), going back to forged with a longer deck (32.25 x 14.38) or maybe a Primitive 8.25 / 8.38.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #4677 on: August 31, 2023, 12:46:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends, are you ready to be AWAKE?

Madness got me too, not feeling the cast baseplates as much, especially on a shorter deck (31.75 x 14.25), going back to forged with a longer deck (32.25 x 14.38) or maybe a Primitive 8.25 / 8.38.

A question for those in the know: how much do the V-Hollows (forged baseplate, I think?) add to the deck wb? +3.25" or even more?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4678 on: August 31, 2023, 01:46:14 AM »
Cast - +3.25"
Forged - +3.4" - 3.5"

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0
Hasn't been updated in a while this has been my go-to for WBs on trucks for years.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4679 on: August 31, 2023, 06:23:32 AM »
I tried forged on a 14.38 and thought I'd hate it, actually loved it. Super surprised, no nollie ghost pop and great snap. I didn't fully measure the WB bc I didn't wanna think about it really. Maybe it was the shorter height that did it for me? Who knows, but those and Thunder 148 have been my recent favorites.