Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 369190 times)

Scab Picker and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 313
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4860 on: September 20, 2023, 11:33:24 PM »
Had a session with a Polar deck I had laying around. A little worn, 8.25 with 14.125WB (which is a lie, its 14.25). Huge difference. It give's me 36 degrees angle of pop, which is what I usually have. No more ghost pop!

Dude I had the same experience with Polar. Ordered a 8.25 Shin Sanbongi deck from Skatedeluxe 'cause they had the wb listed as 14.125. Well, it turned out to be 14.25 and I was like f*** this. But maybe I'll try it with my 5.6 Hi V-Lights and see how it goes. The total wheelbase is like 14.65 which is a lot for me, but I dunno, maybe it can work. Good to hear it works for you.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4861 on: September 20, 2023, 11:43:55 PM »
Yeah... I've never had a Polar 8.25 deck with 14.125WB, and ive had a few... :D

finecojeffe

• Rep: 139
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #4862 on: September 21, 2023, 05:34:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
recently picked up a set of 6.1. First set of ventures in almost 30 years for me. I really like them a lot for their pop and for flip tricks, however I did a few slappies and now I've got axle slip. I haven't had a truck with axle slip in so many years so I'm a little bummed on that. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad.
[close]

It's been said a bunch: DLX warranty is usually top notch. Definitely recommend reaching out to them, axle slip ought to be a thing of the past that we tell younger generations about to illustrate how tough we had it.
[close]
thanks for the tip! I haven't gone through the thread much so I wasn't aware of the DLX warranty facts
[close]

What wheels are you on? I recently had issues and it turns out the bearing seats in my F4 were not to spec and it caused jamming.

Take the wheels off, mark the axles right next to hanger, tap on ground a bunch and see if the mark moves into the hanger.

Almost all trucks have washer/hanger bind especially Venture and Thunder. I personally am tall and don't need a Bones washer to get a good Venture turn I just lean harder.
on some spit f4 55mm classics that i've had for a while and used on other trucks without any issues. To be fair I'm riding these ventures tighter than I ride other trucks though, in which case I usually ride my trucks pretty loose (aces and thunders have been my go-to in recent times.) I set these up tighter to get that old feeling from the last time i have ventures, which was I think 1993, or possibly 94. It's possible how hard I jammed the truck into the curb I could have caused other trucks to slip but they never had the chance due to how loose I've kept the others.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4863 on: September 22, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »
Yo a humble request. If anyone got the dlx lowering kit and didn't enjoy it plz send it to me.

My soul is dying rn. Idk if I can go back.

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #4864 on: September 22, 2023, 05:39:42 PM »
Bushing colors doesn’t matter right for ventures ? All the same durometer ?

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #4865 on: September 22, 2023, 05:55:55 PM »
Bushing colors doesn’t matter right for ventures ? All the same durometer ?
Expand Quote
What's the duro of the stock purples? I keep finding contradictory info online.
[close]
all stock bushings are 90A regardless of color

petition to change the thread title to "Venture 2020: all stock bushings are 90A regardless of color"

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #4866 on: September 23, 2023, 04:32:45 AM »
It’s so deceiving cuz i got white bushings and i feel like it softer

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #4867 on: September 23, 2023, 07:53:02 AM »

don't make me tap the sign

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #4868 on: September 23, 2023, 09:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

don't make me tap the sign

THANK YOU

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4869 on: September 23, 2023, 09:45:14 AM »
Real shit though I’ve had a set of ventures within the last couple years that came with the white bushings and they did feel softer than the clear ones (green and purple felt the same, so I’d assume clear red does too). The only reason I’d lend credence to this is I’ve put this set of bushings in a couple sets of ventures and they felt softer.

Same thing when I was younger w thunders, the white ones always felt softer than the clear yellow ones the raws would come with, even though they were the same.

Also if anyone has a set of Indy’s laying around rip the bushings and washers out and your ventures will be looser, I tried it recently and didn’t like it. I like mine plain stock w the stock green/purple/clearish bushings.

rikki

• Rep: 313
« Reply #4870 on: September 24, 2023, 01:13:29 AM »
Rode my 5.6 Hi V-Lights yesterday with a 8.125 / 14.25 wb deck. I'd only ridden them with a 13.88" wb deck before that, which felt good.

Was worried about the added wheelbase beforehand, but after 5-10 minutes of adjusting I found the setup pretty damn awesome. No complaints whatsoever -- on the contrary. Ollies/pop felt stable, turning was good, the grinds were there. There's just an overall good vibe to the trucks for me. I guess I'm Awake?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 02:59:51 AM by rikki »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4871 on: September 24, 2023, 06:57:58 AM »
Rode my 5.6 Hi V-Lights yesterday with a 8.125 / 14.25 wb deck. I'd only ridden them with a 13.88" wb deck before that, which felt good.

Was worried about the added wheelbase beforehand, but after 5-10 minutes of adjusting I found the setup pretty damn awesome. No complaints whatsoever -- on the contrary. Ollies/pop felt stable, turning was good, the grinds were there. There's just an overall good vibe to the trucks for me. I guess I'm Awake?

Yes sir, welcome aboard to the wokest truck brand in skateboarding.

Lost count but this is my 6th Venture t-shirt.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #4872 on: September 24, 2023, 07:15:33 AM »
So, my Ventures came at the end of last week. Ended up with the 5.6 Skate Jawn cast hollows (those trucks are beautiful, IMHO), and 5.6 Titaniums w/forged plate. I had ordered V-Hollows, but my local was out of them, and swapped out Titaniums for me (web site said they had v-hollows in stock when I ordered).

I tried the V-Cast Hollows first. I am coming off Forged Indys, and the Casts felt too high for me. Turn wasn't bad, but I did not like the height/pop feel at all. Then I tried the forged plates w/Jawn hanger, and that height felt much better. It started raining about an hour later, and hasn't stopped since (and will be until mid-week), so I haven't been able to spend serious time on them, yet. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #4873 on: September 24, 2023, 08:27:46 AM »
I tried the V-Cast Hollows first. I am coming off Forged Indys, and the Casts felt too high for me. Turn wasn't bad, but I did not like the height/pop feel at all. Then I tried the forged plates w/Jawn hanger, and that height felt much better. It started raining about an hour later, and hasn't stopped since (and will be until mid-week), so I haven't been able to spend serious time on them, yet.

??? You created the same height truck with your frankentrucking, good sir.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4874 on: September 24, 2023, 08:46:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hanger heights are different across Venture? I was under the impression that height differences (aside from the High / Lows) in them was in baseplate height (like almost every other brand). Can someone clarify?

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4875 on: September 24, 2023, 09:16:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hanger heights are different across Venture? I was under the impression that height differences (aside from the High / Lows) in them was in baseplate height (like almost every other brand). Can someone clarify?

All forged and cast baseplates are the same height with cast being roughly 1.5mm taller.

When it comes to Low and Hi trucks the difference in height is due to the hanger, which is why you see more variations of the 5.0 / 5.2 (Low / Hi, cast / forged) and fewer on 5.6 and above (Hi, cast / forged).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4876 on: September 24, 2023, 09:22:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

All forged and cast baseplates are the same height with cast being roughly 1.5mm taller.

When it comes to Low and Hi trucks the difference in height is due to the hanger, which is why you see more variations of the 5.0 / 5.2 (Low / Hi, cast / forged) and fewer on 5.6 and above (Hi, cast / forged).

So, I was correct then, and @hiljentaa was wrong. A standard 5.6 hanger will result in a different height truck contingent upon which baseplate it is paired with (e.g. Cast vs. Forged).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4877 on: September 24, 2023, 10:23:50 AM »
At 53 on the dot the ones you find too high are technically half a MM shorter than your Indy's.

I like the forged a lot but they do push my wheels out a tad too much on the decks I like so I haven't committed to them.

Vintagebody

« Reply #4878 on: September 24, 2023, 10:46:00 AM »
Is forged vs cast that noticeable?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #4879 on: September 24, 2023, 10:49:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

So, I was correct then, and @hiljentaa was wrong. A standard 5.6 hanger will result in a different height truck contingent upon which baseplate it is paired with (e.g. Cast vs. Forged).

Lmao I didn't register the other set were cast hollows. Too many truck variations. Good luck with your Ventures!

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4880 on: September 24, 2023, 10:50:32 AM »
At 53 on the dot the ones you find too high are technically half a MM shorter than your Indy's.

I like the forged a lot but they do push my wheels out a tad too much on the decks I like so I haven't committed to them.

Cast felt too tall. Forged felt better. That's all I got, and all I need.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4881 on: September 24, 2023, 10:54:28 AM »

I've tried standard, forged, and mIndys. All different heights. I notice it. As others have also said ad nauseam, cast vs. forged plates also just "feel" different in terms of how vibrations reverberate through your set-up.

Vintagebody

« Reply #4882 on: September 24, 2023, 11:00:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've tried standard, forged, and mIndys. All different heights. I notice it. As others have also said ad nauseam, cast vs. forged plates also just "feel" different in terms of how vibrations reverberate through your set-up.

Yeah the height is one thing, but the added wheelbase from the forged. They should have almost equal angle of pop then, but the longer wheelbase will require more power

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #4883 on: September 24, 2023, 03:48:28 PM »
I made the transition from thunder teams to vemtures and I liked the forged…..a closer height, lighter options….

To me forged just look shittier….maybe felt different but it could be koo…koo…

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4884 on: September 24, 2023, 05:57:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah the height is one thing, but the added wheelbase from the forged. They should have almost equal angle of pop then, but the longer wheelbase will require more power

Cast baseplates add 3.25" to the wheelbase, forged add 3.5".

I don't feel the height as much on the baseplate, but the shortening of nose and tail because of how much it shifts the wheels outwards.

You really start feeling the height when you start riding the 5.2 LO and LO forged which drop below 50mm, amazing pinch on grinds but at the expense of wheelbite. Never felt more locked in on a Crooked grind that I have with the 5.2 LO forged.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Vintagebody

« Reply #4885 on: September 24, 2023, 11:36:59 PM »
Anyone seen this tho? Is it forged or cast he measured?
He says its 1mm shorter wheelbase than Thunder. Which could also be bushings thats gone bust, or tightened... whatever...
Also, are cast ventures suppose to be 53,5 or 55mm tall? 55mm just pops up in my head all the time... As I thought cast was 55, and forged 53,5. If cast is 53,5, then i'll get those for sure :D I hate indy's 55mm height...

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4886 on: September 25, 2023, 04:45:18 AM »
Anyone seen this tho? Is it forged or cast he measured?
He says its 1mm shorter wheelbase than Thunder. Which could also be bushings thats gone bust, or tightened... whatever...
Also, are cast ventures suppose to be 53,5 or 55mm tall? 55mm just pops up in my head all the time... As I thought cast was 55, and forged 53,5. If cast is 53,5, then i'll get those for sure :D I hate indy's 55mm height...

rocklobster's sig is a good reference

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #4887 on: September 25, 2023, 07:20:52 AM »
don't go down the rabbit hole

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4888 on: September 25, 2023, 07:33:01 AM »
I've measured Thunder and Venture cast recently and it would be close to 1mm I could not really see a substantial difference, which runs counter to a lot of what is on this forum regarding WB. I lined up both trucks at the baseplate holes and measured both axles from a fixed distance and averaged.

Vintagebody

« Reply #4889 on: September 25, 2023, 07:35:54 AM »
I'll try some Venture's with cast then :D It might be the thing that fixes my issues with V-Hollows heftyness. I was under the impression that casts were 55mm tall so... Which is why I got the V-Hollows. And also because they were on sale.

Thanks guys!