Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 322346 times)

gnidraobetaks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1290 on: March 23, 2023, 08:31:13 PM »
"hi my names glen. guess how many fingers i have?"

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #1291 on: March 24, 2023, 08:36:32 AM »

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1292 on: March 24, 2023, 08:56:49 AM »
Abita trying to make it like he was attacking people with t-shirt folding jobs is embarrassingly defensive.

It's a perfect example of that Upton Sinclair quote "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1293 on: March 24, 2023, 09:27:15 AM »
what even is t-shirt folding these days?

TheWineClub

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1294 on: March 24, 2023, 09:58:18 AM »

wompa_stompa

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1295 on: March 24, 2023, 10:22:02 AM »
I thought BOS would be down for that hot take as a corpo parody brand. I guess they take themselves pretty seriously after all lmfao

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #1296 on: March 24, 2023, 10:26:40 AM »
i think using "bernie sanders" as an insult says a lot more about kelly bird than he thinks it does

Really...

What way are Bernie and Mr. Friedman similar? Hmm...

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #1297 on: March 24, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
Expand Quote
i think using "bernie sanders" as an insult says a lot more about kelly bird than he thinks it does
[close]

Really...

noeliberal communism ?  Tax billionaires?

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1298 on: March 24, 2023, 10:58:26 AM »
no one could capture the pure essence of Fugazi better. Don't care how off the wall the interview was. 

fernando the skater

• Rep: 88
« Reply #1299 on: March 24, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »
Crikey, those Boys of Summer takes are pretty bad.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #1300 on: March 24, 2023, 11:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Really...

[close]

noeliberal communism ?  Tax billionaires?

Nah, that's not it. Those two are mutually exclusive by definition

#switchgod

• Rep: -93
  • One love.
« Reply #1301 on: March 24, 2023, 12:05:19 PM »

Whoa, that's Kelly Bird? Upton Sinclair quote working overtime here.

Beady

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1302 on: March 24, 2023, 12:44:13 PM »
Barbara Kruger's take when Supreme sued another brand for stealing their logo, which Supreme stole from Kruger:

“What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers,” Kruger told Complex, when asked for her response to the lawsuit. “I make my work about this kind of sadly foolish farce. I’m waiting for all of them to sue me for copyright infringement.”

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/barbara-krugers-supreme-performance

I think it's funny these industry heads are calling GEF a narcissist while being self-centered enough to be offended by his comments because they think that we was talking specifically about them. 

Kruger's comment could apply to this situation as well. It makes for good entertainment, though.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #1303 on: March 24, 2023, 01:48:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can you give a timestamp of when he starts talking about Supreme and Gonz?
[close]

at about 1:09:00
[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]
Damn that was a crazy, had to type it out.
"Because a lot of people don't fucking give a fuck. You see people these other photographers, some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built. But I was one of the people that helped build some of this shit and you got this fucking shit ass brand that fucking boutiquified skateboarding. What you do? You fucking fold shirts you assholes. Fuck you. It's for real. And you know, people go out and buy this fucking brand when they steal all their credibility from our activity. Or even worse from celebrities. They put celebrities in their shirts and shit like that. I don't like to mention this scumbag brand by name. But you know..people work for them..you fuckin' ride for them..you're a fucking chump. You're a sucker, you don't know nothing about integrity. You don't know anything about keeping it real. I understand you have to make a living. But you have to find another way, because you're supporting the fucking devil. You're supporting some shit. People are stealing from our culture. Ohhh you're gonna build a ramp or fucking little shit. That's fucking penny's compared to what they get off those kids waiting in line like fucking suckers. Buying stupid shit. so they can fucking re-sell or whatever. They're creating little baby capitalist. It's all about money and you're fucking falling into that trap. That shit ass trap of fucking commodifying a culture that's so amazing so great and you're a fucking sucker. Sorry guys... "
[close]

I’m sick right now and this made me laugh so unexpectedly hard that there’s snot all over my face and my throat hurts really bad. Fuck you lmfao
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 158
« Reply #1304 on: March 24, 2023, 01:52:12 PM »

Well said

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #1305 on: March 24, 2023, 02:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well said

Aye have a gnar

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1306 on: March 24, 2023, 02:24:17 PM »
i'm commenting in here although i didn't watch any of that, nor have i actually ever really watched the nine club, but nonetheless and without a doubt, GEF > Supreme

and it must be said, really important, especially evolved people wield terms like "normalize"--especially when being clever on social media, where it is most important--and they should definitely be taken seriously.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1307 on: March 24, 2023, 02:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
GEF is basically the Forrest Gump of the skateboarding, rap and punk world of the 70's and 80's. The dude seemed to be everywhere all at once. Some of his opinions (especially of himself) are a bit over the top, but I also think that's part of his schtick. Take that part or leave it, but there's no denying his iconic photography. Anyone commenting "who" should do themselves a favor and look it up.
[close]
True. Like him or not, he definitely is responsible for some of the most iconic album covers. He may have more in his portfolio than anyone else.
Here are just a few:

I love when people have such hot takes on what it means to sell out or simply what's cool and what's not cool.

The dude hates Supreme and other corporate stuff because "some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built."

The dude is also the same dude who has done a lot corporate work for bands:

Ice T - Rhyme Pays (Sire Records)
Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show (Def Jam, Columbia Records)
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head (Grand Royal, Capitol Records)
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (Def Jam, Columbia Records)
King T - Act a Fool (Capitol Records)

But yeah he's still cool, even though he's an absolute hypocrite

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1308 on: March 24, 2023, 02:36:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
GEF is basically the Forrest Gump of the skateboarding, rap and punk world of the 70's and 80's. The dude seemed to be everywhere all at once. Some of his opinions (especially of himself) are a bit over the top, but I also think that's part of his schtick. Take that part or leave it, but there's no denying his iconic photography. Anyone commenting "who" should do themselves a favor and look it up.
[close]
True. Like him or not, he definitely is responsible for some of the most iconic album covers. He may have more in his portfolio than anyone else.
Here are just a few:

[close]

I love when people have such hot takes on what it means to sell out or simply what's cool and what's not cool.

The dude hates Supreme and other corporate stuff because "some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built."

nah, but seriously, +1 for the bolded letters alone...compelling layout

Sifter

• Rep: 46
« Reply #1309 on: March 24, 2023, 03:39:48 PM »

RoughStylin

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1310 on: March 24, 2023, 04:02:19 PM »
Boys of Summer confirmed nuts in Supreme vice.

RoughStylin

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1311 on: March 24, 2023, 04:22:13 PM »
All jokes aside, clearly GEF was criticising the  neo-liberal hyper-capitalistic nature of Supreme, not skateshop t shirt folders. Supreme are owned by a billion dollar venture capital group, who use the image of skateboarding to legitimise themselves in order to justify selling $80 t shirts and thousand dollar jackets. Tyshawn said it himself, he had to beg supreme to pay their team riders. They don’t care about skateboarders, they care about profits. A whole lot of taking, not a lot of giving. Atiba is sour because supreme is paying him money to take photos and give him free clothing. Is he defending an employer for doing the most basic thing ie paying him a wage to do his job?

Going to battle for billion dollar corporations… corny.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1312 on: March 24, 2023, 04:29:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Here are just a few:

[close]

"Corporate work for the bands"? Dude was friends with these people and did not charge anything up front. He took the photos because he wanted to and got paid way later. The shoots were not done in any kind of corporate setting/terms. How is that corporate? And why should he not be paid for his work on the cover of extremely iconic albums.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #1313 on: March 24, 2023, 04:34:58 PM »
dude was wearing adidas during the interview lol

ejazzle

• Rep: 62
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1314 on: March 24, 2023, 07:29:00 PM »
dude was wearing adidas during the interview lol

Mr. Fuckin integrity himself in the flesh.

fuck supreme and fuck hypocrites.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1315 on: March 24, 2023, 07:37:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Here are just a few:

[close]

[close]

"Corporate work for the bands"? Dude was friends with these people and did not charge anything up front. He took the photos because he wanted to and got paid way later. The shoots were not done in any kind of corporate setting/terms. How is that corporate? And why should he not be paid for his work on the cover of extremely iconic albums.

if you don’t understand how giving your photos to a media monopoly is selling to a corporation this conversation might be a little out of your depth

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #1316 on: March 24, 2023, 07:51:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Here are just a few:

[close]

[close]

[close]

if you don’t understand how giving your photos to a media monopoly is selling to a corporation this conversation might be a little out of your depth

Lol how is it that you chose your username so perfectly?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1317 on: March 24, 2023, 08:42:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Here are just a few:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol how is it that you chose your username so perfectly?

gonna double down because i don’t like you - how is it you masquerade as mr. hardcore guy and don’t know about you are beneath me? SDF literally toured with MLIW

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1318 on: March 24, 2023, 08:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Here are just a few:

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was also very confused by KGB’s statement.

KGB do you not see an equivalence in this proposition?

Whether GEF used his art on his own terms or not, he still provided his photographs to enrich a corporation. It’s no secret that the music industry is one of the biggest corporate shills in terms of business enterprises. You think Capitol Records cares about the integrity of the artist if the bottom line isn’t being met.

I’m also not saying that signing to a big corporate record label is bad. It’s hard to be in a band and hell you have to make money off of your art someway to get by comfortably.

But for GEF to be so sour on corporate brands just because be doesn’t like them in skateboarding (as he wears Adidas). Is not only downright disingenuous but also super ignorant. Let that ego go and truly look in the mirror.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1319 on: March 24, 2023, 08:59:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Here are just a few:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was also very confused by KGB’s statement.

KGB do you not see an equivalence in this proposition?

Whether GEF used his art on his own terms or not, he still provided his photographs to enrich a corporation. It’s no secret that the music industry is one of the biggest corporate shills in terms of business enterprises. You think Capitol Records cares about the integrity of the artist if the bottom line isn’t being met.

I’m also not saying that signing to a big corporate record label is bad. It’s hard to be in a band and hell you have to make money off of your art someway to get by comfortably.

But for GEF to be so sour on corporate brands just because be doesn’t like them in skateboarding (as he wears Adidas). Is not only downright disingenuous but also super ignorant. Let that ego go and truly look in the mirror.

gonna add a fun wrinkle to this: i take big corpo money to play music so this old fool and i have the same sins. one of us just fronts like we’re above folks while ignoring it