Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47941 times)

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 30
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #750 on: June 20, 2022, 06:45:14 AM »
BS nosepicks on transition... is it a nosepick when you don't indy grab yank it in? I did a few bs nose pivots (that's what I'd call em, no pop or yank in) on a mellow quarter today, but I want to "pop" back into the transition soon. Would be fun to learn the yank in as well.

I think it’s a g-turn if you don’t pop and/or yank out. Did you pop into the stall?

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #751 on: June 20, 2022, 12:08:10 PM »
Expand Quote
BS nosepicks on transition... is it a nosepick when you don't indy grab yank it in? I did a few bs nose pivots (that's what I'd call em, no pop or yank in) on a mellow quarter today, but I want to "pop" back into the transition soon. Would be fun to learn the yank in as well.
[close]

I think it’s a g-turn if you don’t pop and/or yank out. Did you pop into the stall?

Nah, just rode up and set into it
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #752 on: June 20, 2022, 01:01:59 PM »
Still Tre.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #753 on: June 23, 2022, 06:58:22 PM »
50-50s. how do you lock your trucks into place? every attempt i’ve made i end up slanted and hung up

Skatetron580

• Rep: -12
« Reply #754 on: July 07, 2022, 08:35:48 PM »
I am trying to learn calmness and consistency

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #755 on: July 07, 2022, 10:47:01 PM »
50-50s. how do you lock your trucks into place? every attempt i’ve made i end up slanted and hung up

I know cross locking exists….but I am unable to describe how to do it…

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #756 on: July 10, 2022, 03:21:25 PM »

Ledge or rail? Fs or bs?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #757 on: July 13, 2022, 04:01:24 PM »
Trying to get my goddamn hardflips back.
I'm 41 years old, got my kickflips bangin again, got my heelflips, got my backside flips back, got my nollie flips back, got my 360 flips back (in my day we didn't say "Tre flip"). But the goddamn hard flip evades me.
Back in my teens and twenties the hard flip was my go-to trick! Full on button trick. I really thought I'd get them back before any of the others but, my god is it being a pain in my ass. And I can't get my FS flips back until I get my hard flip back.
Arrrgghhh

Also FS Noseslide. Bruh it's gotta be the most slept on trick out there. A good FS nose slide is hard as fuck to pull off.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #758 on: July 13, 2022, 08:34:10 PM »
Trying to relearn 360 flips and trying to learn blunt slides on curbs. Got the pop in and out but just need to carve in more and commit to the slide.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #759 on: July 14, 2022, 02:20:36 AM »
BS flips... still

I can land a handful but struggle to roll away clean as i just can't get my shoulders round, I instinctively turn them back on myself when I land the trick so it stops me dead.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #760 on: July 14, 2022, 05:15:17 AM »
Trying to relearn 360 flips and trying to learn blunt slides on curbs. Got the pop in and out but just need to carve in more and commit to the slide.

I've got the pop-in and a decently lengthy slide but the pop-out and ride away clean only happens if my weight is 'just right' during the slide.  For what it's worth, I come at the curb at a very slight angle that's just a few degrees off parallel.  I don't believe I carve into it.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #761 on: July 14, 2022, 07:50:58 PM »
@wrinkletusk that’s what I meant. I started almost straight on to get used to the feel of on/off. I’m not that great at wording.

aàáâäæãå

• Rep: -2
« Reply #762 on: July 15, 2022, 10:23:42 PM »

If it’s on a ledge/rail, imagine locking the inside of the wheels against the feature.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #763 on: July 15, 2022, 11:54:00 PM »
BS Lipslides, my local just got new flatbars that are the right height, so I got zero excuses now.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

switchfakie

« Reply #764 on: July 16, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »

im also trying to relearn 360 flips. gone were the days they were easier for me than kickflips :'(

Frank and Fred

« Reply #765 on: July 17, 2022, 09:49:25 AM »
Getting closer to Nollie 360 flips on flat. Not really a trick I like to see but I feel like I might be able to pull one and at my age, why not?

Going to recommit to relearning backside airs. Started toying with them a bit. Need to pad up and find the right transition to really go for it. Watched Tom Knox (OG) Risk It uncut last night and that really inspired me.

Just learned Nollie lip slide shuv it out on curbs. Dumb and easy. Not sure why I never tried them before...

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #766 on: July 18, 2022, 12:54:11 AM »
 Properly popped front shuvs

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #767 on: July 18, 2022, 12:56:52 AM »
Getting closer to Nollie 360 flips on flat. Not really a trick I like to see but I feel like I might be able to pull one and at my age, why not?

Going to recommit to relearning backside airs. Started toying with them a bit. Need to pad up and find the right transition to really go for it. Watched Tom Knox (OG) Risk It uncut last night and that really inspired me.

Just learned Nollie lip slide shuv it out on curbs. Dumb and easy. Not sure why I never tried them before...

Nollie 360 flip can really be a low effort trick, much more so than regular 360 flip which I personally regard as high effort (when you're popping them). Daewon used to just fling those out and land them pre-Love Child not even knowing what they were supposed to be, or called. It's basically a nollie 360 shove from a particular foot placement that has the toe interfere and rub the concave instead of keeping the board flat, as soon as you've figured out the correct pressure points you should be golden. Don't have to fight against the momentum like you have to for a 360 flip since you're going with it, so in fact it actually helps (means that speed does, too). Arguably easier to learn on flat than straight nollie flip.

Are you doing the shove-it out of nollie lip frontside or backside (where the board spins 270), frontside works well on rails but feels weird, backside works well on curbs/ledges and feels pretty cool. I'd recommend trying turning with that one too (so nollie lip, backside 270) even if that means gazelle out/revert, probably illegal to the most insecure, but really some stupid good fun.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #768 on: July 18, 2022, 06:36:07 AM »
Fs feebles down rails. I can lock in to them and slide them to the end of the rail pretty consistently, but I’m still new to skating down rails and I suck at riding or popping off at the end.

Missing the rail was my biggest fear but it’s happened to me a bunch of times now and it’s never that bad surprisingly. What does suck is accidentally landing in a fs board. Especially when you’ve done a kinda shit ollie so your weight isn’t right. I was leaned back a bit once when that happened and I got smoked

LebowskisRug

« Reply #769 on: July 18, 2022, 06:56:42 AM »
Honestly just a normal nose manual. I used to have them on lock 20 years ago when I rode smaller and lower decks but on a longer setup it feels wonky. I basically ollie up and get into one for a split second before the rear wheels touch or I pitch no in between.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #770 on: July 18, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »
I try to relearn my kickflips.
Somewhere on the way, I kinda lost them.
I skated 6 DLX 8.28s in a row and my kickflips basically been on point.
I switched to a different shape.
Magenta 8.25.
And different grip, pepper instead of jessup ultra .
Overall nothing drastically different.
My fakieflips are still good. 360 flip is still there.
Heelflips are kinda mobbed and turn to the left but I don't like heelflips that much anyway.
Somehow I totally lost the timing of my kickflips on flat and honestly it drives me nuts..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #771 on: July 18, 2022, 10:43:31 AM »
Those are fairly different boards. That 8.28 is real short with longer kicks and little fingers of flat. The 8.25 bumps up the WB and fingers of flat and tends to have a sharper rise to the kicks and is a bit fuller.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #772 on: July 18, 2022, 11:03:41 AM »
Those are fairly different boards. That 8.28 is real short with longer kicks and little fingers of flat. The 8.25 bumps up the WB and fingers of flat and tends to have a sharper rise to the kicks and is a bit fuller.
Indeed.
But it's my second Magenta 8.25 in a row now and I used to skate this shape before I found the 8.28.
Sadly they had been out of stock everywhere back then so I just bought 3 of the Magentas..
It can be so hard to adapt to this shape again.
Maybe it's all in my head.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #773 on: July 19, 2022, 07:23:02 AM »
Magenta uses the same generic shapes all the other BBS brands do so you don't have to try that one specifically.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #774 on: July 19, 2022, 07:45:58 AM »
me and some homies have been trying the straight 8 challenge for shuvs, and I've come to realize that switch bs shuvs are very difficult for me. Give me enough tries and I'll land one, but they're really bad and barely at a snail's pace.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #775 on: July 19, 2022, 08:30:48 AM »
Fuck, I'm pretty good at them and would gladly trade them for a decent FS shuv. I fucking always land those like 10 degrees off straight and the rear wheels always land first and they look like ass.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #776 on: July 19, 2022, 08:37:21 AM »
me and some homies have been trying the straight 8 challenge for shuvs, and I've come to realize that switch bs shuvs are very difficult for me. Give me enough tries and I'll land one, but they're really bad and barely at a snail's pace.

switch FS shuvs are my worst of the bunch, switch BS i actually really enjoy doing. Snapped a kingpin doing a flatground switch FS shuv a couple months back!

Not sure if it helps, but for switch BS, I focus more on a back foot sweep/scoop as I pop rather than just popping straight down like I would for a regular BS shuv.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: July 19, 2022, 08:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

switch FS shuvs are my worst of the bunch, switch BS i actually really enjoy doing. Snapped a kingpin doing a flatground switch FS shuv a couple months back!

Not sure if it helps, but for switch BS, I focus more on a back foot sweep/scoop as I pop rather than just popping straight down like I would for a regular BS shuv.

I'm pretty good at switch front shuvs. Arguably better than my regular front shuv, haha.

Gonna try taking that advice. The ones that flipped on me were because I was trying to pop them, but I should probably walk before I run with this trick.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #778 on: July 19, 2022, 08:58:33 AM »
Switch pop shove is all in the big toe, if you lodge it in the right place of the tail (usually covering the tip but with the ball of the foot mostly resting inside) it will ensure the board will stay flat as it's a 'neutral' part that will rebound, that's how and why done right those can look like they barely ever leave your feet, usually I just think Jan Kliewer or Alex Carolino or most people from the Lordz/Square era really for a reference (it's also one of those tricks where you mostly face backwards, like switch ollies, otherwise it can be tempting to turn frontside unless you lock your upper body in place). Key to good front shove is try and eliminate all scoop, just pop straight down (again from the right spot on the tail so it doesn't start flipping) and watch the bolts come around. With that technique though just doing one frontside pressure flip once will fuck me up on them for days because they work too similar (I also have that to a degree with kickflips and double flips).

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #779 on: July 19, 2022, 09:01:03 AM »
Switch pop shove is all in the big toe, if you lodge it in the right place of the tail (usually covering the tip but with the ball of the foot mostly resting inside) it will ensure the board will stay flat as it's a 'neutral' part that will rebound, that's how and why done right those can look like they barely ever leave your feet, usually I just think Jan Kliewer or Alex Carolino or most people from the Lordz/Square era really for a reference (it's also one of those tricks where you mostly face backwards, like switch ollies, otherwise it can be tempting to turn frontside unless you lock your upper body in place). Key to good front shove is try and eliminate all scoop, just pop straight down (again from the right spot on the tail so it doesn't start flipping) and watch the bolts come around. With that technique though just doing one frontside pressure flip once will fuck me up on them for days.

Can you elaborate a bit on that front shuv tip?

Front shuvs are sort of a monkey's paw trick for me where I can do them every try, but I hate how I do them. I do the the kind where you sorta jump backwards and I've tried every foot placement to prevent it.