Author Topic: new Vans models  (Read 121852 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: new Vans models
« Reply #1320 on: March 27, 2024, 12:45:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone ever fuck with the original AV3? I had like four pairs when they first came out. Kinda like Vans tried to do a sporty retro football shoe or a slight gazelle and actually pulled it off. Wish they would remake these

[close]

Yup picked up like 3 orange pairs from Marshall’s back in the day. Great shoe.

Loved them. They were an early vulc / cupsole mix too. I specifically remember that if a pair of Vans was vulc at the time, they called it out as a selling point on the box and these didn't have that, so they were doing something different with the sole. I miss this shoe all the time.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1321 on: March 27, 2024, 04:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Knu Skool  (less solid, but a puffy old skool is a good idea) and Fairlane are solid models, as long as they're not in gross, weird colors.

AVE 2.0 - wtf is that thing? Experimental technology is good but not when you butcher it like that! First AVE had the right idea with tech meets boardfeel in a cup.
[close]

I wore a pair of the reissued Fairlane's as my work shoes last year. Super comfortable, and walking 11 miles a day on sidewalks they lasted me 8 months. Really solid shoe that I wish they would have kept in production. They even had an all black leather colorway which was perfect for me being a mail carrier

As for the AVE 2, I really wish they would go back to more simplistic designs with his shoes. It's just a weird choice for the Dickies and plain white tshirt guy to have the most outlandish looking shoe in the lineup. I get that he's an aging skater and needs a more protective shoe, but it would make more sense if they took the Nike Koston 1 approach, where the tech aspects are on the inside of a simple looking silhouette. Or just release a cupsole AVE Rapidweld and call it a day
[close]

That would be true except he doesn't wear these shoes once the initial marketing push is over.
[close]

This was the same problem with Elijah's shoe -- they pushed this new Wafflecup tech on us through him and all he skates are vulcs. Might as well made him a vulc shoe.

If they want to push Wafflecup tech with a skater, they need to push Glick more. Dude is always wearing the Zahba mids and likes the cupsole.
[close]

I always respect how much footage Rowan has wearing his own model shoes
[close]

Is it common for pros to not wear their own shoes? Decks I get...Nyjah, Ishod, Nora, Lizzie, Foy...list goes on, always in their own shoes.

Yeah looking back, I'm not sure what I was driving at. That comment was probably off the cuff while I was at work lol

Idk maybe I meant respect for Rowan and his shoe, and its rad how good that shoe is and how well it is/was received.

Didn't mean to derail the thread!
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1322 on: March 27, 2024, 05:54:09 PM »
poaching this thread to advertise...

i've got a pair of white AVEs in 10.5 I'm never going to wear up for sale. brand new, never worn

also got a pair of leather 92 half cabs, chili pepper colorway, 10.5. worn from shop to my car and never put on my feet again.

DM if interested in making an offer or trade
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1323 on: March 27, 2024, 11:24:33 PM »

Actually kinda curious about the new AVE….until I saw the Oz price….

https://fasttimes.com.au/vans-ave-2-0-knit-cream.html

Woah. Yeah, nah. I’ll wait until sale.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1324 on: March 27, 2024, 11:43:51 PM »

THREE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1325 on: March 28, 2024, 12:18:34 AM »

^^ That video is tough to watch.

$130 base - $148 and change out the door....lol for a 'functional' i.e., a none lifestyle shoe, this in cross trainer territory (but $20 more, avg.) except x-trainers will last you 6 months before they blow out...
https://www.vans.com/en-us/shoes-c00081/ave-20-knit-shoe-pvn000d1fcrm

The look is sort of growing on me except for that suede eyelet 'patch' at the front, wtf is that?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 10:27:04 AM by Xen »

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #1326 on: March 28, 2024, 12:01:09 PM »
Those new AVEs are 170 francs here in Switzerland, which is... 188,5 American dollars.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1327 on: March 28, 2024, 12:48:39 PM »
Those new AVEs are 170 francs here in Switzerland, which is... 188,5 American dollars.

That's fucking ridiculous - no wonder Vans is in the shitter...how does this shoe's design and cost, with AVE attached even make sense to anyone (other than AVE getting a paycheck but that back-end isn't gonna do well for him0.

On the plus side, these will be discounted faster than the wairmax/Vertadurps!

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #1328 on: March 28, 2024, 01:03:05 PM »
poaching this thread to advertise...

i've got a pair of white AVEs in 10.5 I'm never going to wear up for sale. brand new, never worn

also got a pair of leather 92 half cabs, chili pepper colorway, 10.5. worn from shop to my car and never put on my feet again.

DM if interested in making an offer or trade

How do the Ave 2s fit?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1329 on: March 28, 2024, 01:32:50 PM »
mark wahlberg and the entire municipal design team punching the air for not bringing this out first for shecks. looks like something I would see lululemon employees wearing with a pair of leggings or tight joggers. they've really hit a wall creatively, and honestly I just want someone to put vans out of their misery at this point.
nothing about this shoe makes any sense whatsoever.
firstly, if lifestyle consumers are going to buy a pair of vans, they're either going for one of the retro vulc's, the MTE line, or the ultrarange EXO. if they're in the market for this kind of shoe, $130 is absurdly expensive. people wanting this exact type of modern trainer style shoe are going to likely buy a cheap pair of adidas, new balance, hoka, on, asics, or nike.
secondly, the target market of skaters for these shoes has no real reason to pick these up versus any other shoe on the market. On the wall, why would someone pick this shoe over a tech shoe like the WairMax (failure in it's own right), 1010, 808, Nyjah 2/3?How does this shoe do anything different versus prior vans models like the Kyle Walker, Rowan 2, Wayvee, Zahba low/high, and the OG AVE? Why doesn't AVE himself not even wear his own shoes?
the average consumer and the target audience are really not going to buy a $130 pair of vans skate shoes, and skaters are not going to adopt something purely on the principle that AVE is behind it. there is absolutely no reason for this to exist.

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1330 on: March 28, 2024, 05:36:20 PM »
mark wahlberg and the entire municipal design team punching the air for not bringing this out first for shecks. looks like something I would see lululemon employees wearing with a pair of leggings or tight joggers. they've really hit a wall creatively, and honestly I just want someone to put vans out of their misery at this point.
nothing about this shoe makes any sense whatsoever.
firstly, if lifestyle consumers are going to buy a pair of vans, they're either going for one of the retro vulc's, the MTE line, or the ultrarange EXO. if they're in the market for this kind of shoe, $130 is absurdly expensive. people wanting this exact type of modern trainer style shoe are going to likely buy a cheap pair of adidas, new balance, hoka, on, asics, or nike.
secondly, the target market of skaters for these shoes has no real reason to pick these up versus any other shoe on the market. On the wall, why would someone pick this shoe over a tech shoe like the WairMax (failure in it's own right), 1010, 808, Nyjah 2/3?How does this shoe do anything different versus prior vans models like the Kyle Walker, Rowan 2, Wayvee, Zahba low/high, and the OG AVE? Why doesn't AVE himself not even wear his own shoes?
the average consumer and the target audience are really not going to buy a $130 pair of vans skate shoes, and skaters are not going to adopt something purely on the principle that AVE is behind it. there is absolutely no reason for this to exist.
I only skate Vans, and chill in Vans as well for the last 20+ years (yes, a few exceptions in there).
I’ve bought one pair of Nike running shoes at this price point in the last few years and was not impressed.
If these feel good on my foot I’ll give them a chance as a chiller and consider skating them, bonus AVE might get $ from it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1331 on: March 28, 2024, 07:03:10 PM »

Wait, so the knit is a launch/limited version? With a proper sueded version to drop after? Is it cheaper? Talk about confusion...

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1332 on: March 28, 2024, 07:39:13 PM »

Wait, so the knit is a launch/limited version? With a proper sueded version to drop after? Is it cheaper? Talk about confusion...
Agreed, and def more interested in the non-knit version; buuuut, will still check out the knit joints as chillers.

Chimppimpin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1333 on: March 28, 2024, 09:49:14 PM »

Is super confusing, but was from what I understand a very limited release. Most Vans stores didn’t even get them, wanted to just hold them but my vans store didn’t even get them. I believe the ones with a more solid collar are gonna be more widely available and like $10 cheaper.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #1334 on: March 28, 2024, 11:44:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Is super confusing, but was from what I understand a very limited release. Most Vans stores didn’t even get them, wanted to just hold them but my vans store didn’t even get them. I believe the ones with a more solid collar are gonna be more widely available and like $10 cheaper.

Seems like such a strange strategy because the form-fitting knit/sock collar seems to be one of the selling points for the tech of the shoe.

From the outside looking in, aside from the Tiago 1010, it feels like it’s been a rough recent few years for new pro model shoes having selling/staying power vs team models so I’d love to see this shoe succeed because it’s AVE (idk if this will be the shoe to do that though, we’ll see)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 11:51:59 PM by big_kev_215 »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1335 on: March 29, 2024, 01:46:44 AM »
The normal version has been shared several times

texastoast

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1336 on: March 29, 2024, 04:43:25 AM »

regular ave2

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #1337 on: March 29, 2024, 06:10:28 AM »
It’s really a bad look on Vans honestly. Like they’re pushing this tech knit version and then are gonna do a full 180 on customers and release a proper upper on the same sole. I mean it’s good for us knowing we can just wait it out but for the average person who sees this as some new thing only to have the carpet ripped out from under you with a proper actual shoe is just weird imo.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #1338 on: March 29, 2024, 06:17:10 AM »
It’s really a bad look on Vans honestly. Like they’re pushing this tech knit version and then are gonna do a full 180 on customers and release a proper upper on the same sole. I mean it’s good for us knowing we can just wait it out but for the average person who sees this as some new thing only to have the carpet ripped out from under you with a proper actual shoe is just weird imo.

Vans is always making weird decisions but ppl keep giving them money so I guess it is what it is. I feel like the more expensive version is aiming at middle aged guys who have more money to spend and are very nostalgic.

I wonder if they will start giving actual pro models to younger skaters once they can't milk the nostalgia market as much because everyone just gets custom color ways these days. They won't have older pro model shoes to beat to death and charge too much for the next generation.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1339 on: March 29, 2024, 03:48:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Vans is always making weird decisions but ppl keep giving them money so I guess it is what it is. I feel like the more expensive version is aiming at middle aged guys who have more money to spend and are very nostalgic.

I wonder if they will start giving actual pro models to younger skaters once they can't milk the nostalgia market as much because everyone just gets custom color ways these days. They won't have older pro model shoes to beat to death and charge too much for the next generation.

What are they nostalgic for? Just AVE? The shoe itself isn't nostalgic at all. We also know Vans has been pretty open that their classic models, which you could argue are "nostalgic," aren't selling like they used to so I don't think they're milking that market.

I know it's just because we've seen the knit version so much, but I kinda like the knit version more than the normal version in the catalog right now...

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #1340 on: March 29, 2024, 03:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What are they nostalgic for? Just AVE? The shoe itself isn't nostalgic at all. We also know Vans has been pretty open that their classic models, which you could argue are "nostalgic," aren't selling like they used to so I don't think they're milking that market.

I know it's just because we've seen the knit version so much, but I kinda like the knit version more than the normal version in the catalog right now...

Yea, for AVE.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1341 on: March 29, 2024, 04:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea, for AVE.

Not even sure why you'd give him a shoe these days? Sure, old SOTY, still rips, part (but not the face of) FA, footage? Smells like a contract wrap up to me.

Pushing the knit is super bizzare when you are going to phase it out; also, last shoe that used the ultimate waffle? The failure that was the Berle?

Chimppimpin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1342 on: March 29, 2024, 04:12:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Seems like such a strange strategy because the form-fitting knit/sock collar seems to be one of the selling points for the tech of the shoe.

From the outside looking in, aside from the Tiago 1010, it feels like it’s been a rough recent few years for new pro model shoes having selling/staying power vs team models so I’d love to see this shoe succeed because it’s AVE (idk if this will be the shoe to do that though, we’ll see)
If there’s a shoe possible of succeeding it’s the rowan 2

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1343 on: March 29, 2024, 05:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea, for AVE.
[close]

Not even sure why you'd give him a shoe these days? Sure, old SOTY, still rips, part (but not the face of) FA, footage? Smells like a contract wrap up to me.

Pushing the knit is super bizzare when you are going to phase it out; also, last shoe that used the ultimate waffle? The failure that was the Berle?

No, Ultimate Waffle was designed for the AVE Pro 1 and then popped up on one of their very lifestyle-focused shoes that was technically skateable but not really pushed for skating. I just googled it and it’s called EVDNT. Berle’s was the Wafflecontrol. I never skated the Berle but based on reviews (and looking at them), they sound like they skate completely different.

I think the Ultimate Waffle has to be transparent because of the compounds used to make it.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #1344 on: March 29, 2024, 06:45:37 PM »
Pretty sure the Rowan 2 has UltimateWaffle sole.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1345 on: March 29, 2024, 07:07:16 PM »
I missed the OG Aves for $30 AUD on sale from the vans site and now they’re fuckin $500 on flipper sites. lol.

Will wait till no one buys these and get em for $150. I like the look for a jock shoe, and their best chance is the hypebeast losers getting into them. Need to get a rapper wearing them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1346 on: March 29, 2024, 08:19:52 PM »
Pretty sure the Rowan 2 has UltimateWaffle sole.

Just to keep us ALL fucking confused, the Rowan are apparently equipped with the IMPACT Waffle...the Berele? WAFFLE CONTROL...AVE2.0 UltimateWaffle (it wasn't the berle it was the https://www.vans.eu/EVDNTultimatewaffle.html after the AVE, buuuut it's still kinda the AVE cuz it's more like the AVE Pro knit, not to be confused with the 2.0 knit...)

I've skated the AVE Pro/AVE Rapid Weld (very different than the pro), Berle (trash) and Rowan2 (excellent). The Berle had a very DEEP feeling fit, you were really close to the ground/really at the bottom of the sole as it was a thin midsole; the Rowan not so much, it feels more like the AVE Pro/Rapid weld did sole-wise.

Same tech but I'd guess just different levels of thickness depending on the shoe?

https://www.vans.com/en-us/berle
https://www.weartested.com/vans-berle-pro/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:44:39 PM by Xen »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1347 on: March 29, 2024, 08:28:03 PM »
What about the Rapidweld felt so different?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1348 on: March 29, 2024, 09:14:00 PM »
What about the Rapidweld felt so different?

https://www.vans.com/en-us/article-detail/av-rapidweld-pro-lite

More of a classic silhouette compared to the AVE pro (then they made the lite version which was thinner/lighter); and no mesh I believe?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:52:47 PM by Xen »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1349 on: March 29, 2024, 10:43:20 PM »
Oh right the Rapidweld was super different. I was thinking of that slightly tweaked version of the AVE Pro the did after it had been out a few years.