Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45297 times)

beatifk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
Re: Watches
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2020, 12:18:20 AM »
Here's my "collection" haha:

The Hamilton is for when I need to wear a shirt with sleeves and the Weekender is for everything else.

Eventually I want to get a Cartier Santos, either the all gold version or the steel with gold accents, I haven't had a chance to try them on yet, because I won't be able to afford either one for a while.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2020, 12:55:51 AM »
Solid collection actually, I admire people who can keep it to a minimum.
The hammy is such a great watch, dimensions are prefect!
Cartier have grown on me lately, still don’t think I’ll ever be able to rock a gold watch though ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2020, 01:13:06 AM »
Solid collection actually, I admire people who can keep it to a minimum.
The hammy is such a great watch, dimensions are prefect!
Cartier have grown on me lately, still don’t think I’ll ever be able to rock a gold watch though ...

Thanks!

I had a meeting with a very stylish old man (my company were looking to buy his old mirror factory building) and he was wearing the steel/gold Cartier and it looked so dope. I'd been lusting after the all gold Datejust since watching the TV show Black Monday, but after doing some research on the Santos after seeing it on that old man, the gold one looks so good to me. I'm not sure how it will look on my wrist though, but from a design standpoint it's the perfect mix of luxury and industrial design for me.

And once I get my real "dress watch" I might put a nato strap on the Hamilton and wear it more casually.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2020, 01:16:19 AM »
Always good to have a grail in mind!
The hammy is kinda built to put on a Nato but their bracelets are good quality (esp in that price bracket) and it does make the watch more dressy. Khaki is the perfect example of a good GADA (go anywhere, do anything) watch, rock it with pride!

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2020, 10:56:34 AM »
My collection.

The Seiko Quartz belonged to my grandfather. I inherited it when he died about 20 years ago. A couple of years ago I started to become interested in watches so I had the battery replaced and bought a new cheap strap as the old one was awful. Does not get worn these days but will of course never get rid of it.
The Seiko SARB033 I purchased a year and a half ago when I felt the need for an automatic. Being both sporty and dressy, this one is for all occasions except the aquatic ones.
So naturally I needed a diver. Spent about a month drooling online before getting on a waiting list. Nearly a year later I picked up the Tudor Black Bay 58 from the AD back in April. Love wearing this, and it's no secret that this gets pretty much all of my wrist time. A real stunner for sure, but thinking of swapping it for the navy blue as I'm on the waiting list. If I get the navy blue I might be able to choose the SARB033 over it once in a while when I feel like wearing a black watch, as now I mostly go for the Tudor.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2020, 08:56:50 PM »
Nice collection 💪🏼
You’ve got a sentimental piece in there, an everyday watch and something to dress it up a bit where needed! The navy BB58 doesn’t really do it for me but maybe I need to see it in the flesh? Maybe swap the black SARB for the cream dial? The cream dial one is magical and changes colors in different lights, almost has a pearl like sunburnt in some lights and then it looks matte cream and straight white in others. Very very versatile too. What size are your wrists? I sometimes fantasize about just flipping all my divers and getting a bb58, the 36mm without the bezel always teases me too though...
If you do get the navy blue Tudor, are you going to trade in your black one?

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2020, 06:11:59 AM »
Thanks!
I think my wrst size is about 16.5 cm.

I'll admit that when the navy blue BB58 was announced it didn't really do it for me either. But since then it has grown on me. It looks a bit more crisp and modern, unlike the black one that maybe tries a little too hard to look vintage. I mean it for sure pulls off the look, but I understand the criticism that some people have against it. I suspect that the navy blue BB58 will age better, unlike this black one that somewhat looks a bit aged already. I also think that the cool blue lume on the navy blue one looks nicer that the warmer greenish lume on the black one. So yes, if and when I get the call from the AD, I'll probably sell the BB58 for a small profit and go for the navy blue..

And no,  I haven't given too much thought into letting go of the SARB033. I briefly considered swapping it for something else, including the SARB035, but I'm leaning heavily towards just keeping it as it's my first automatic. The cream colour looks smashing though.

Current grail and hopefully a piece I'll be able to obtain in the future; 38mm Zenith El Primero 1969.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:38:48 PM by PistachiYo »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2020, 03:39:43 AM »
Cool, that’s why I think the bb36 might age better, it already looks like a classic watch imho.

Another user in this thread though got me hooked on Rolex 14000s and now I can’t get over the blue dial with the numerals at 3, 6 and 9.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2020, 02:12:47 AM »
Just wanted to pop and say that while I initially thought the seamaster 36 was tiny, it’s now hogging all of my wrist time and the rest of my watches (the biggest being 40.5mm) look massive in comparison. Less is definitely more when it comes to size in the world of watches and I encourage you all to try sub 40mm watches as they really are a joy to wear, specifically the 36 - 38 mm range, it’s such a sweet spot!

Edit: I lied my ny0040 is 42mm but it wears like a 40mm
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:54:04 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2020, 05:55:34 AM »
My nodus is hopefully shipping in the next few days:
https://watchclicker.com/2020/09/28/nodus-contrail-2/

Edit: it shipped
Edit 2: this guy
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFvyfzcn2XS/?igshid=1brueaja8nmd4
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:10:58 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2020, 05:58:13 AM »

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #251 on: October 07, 2020, 03:08:51 AM »
It arrived:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF_zwpxnd-j/?igshid=132qhye5wgxs8

Looks quality mate, some nice touches. Would take me a while to get used to that dial...how are you finding it?

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #252 on: October 07, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »
Just found this thread. Very stoked. I started getting into watches in the last year. My collection is on the very practical end for the most part.
5600 G Shock - Never thought I'd love skating in a watch
Weekender - w/ strap from the Citizen
Citizen Chandler Chrono - w/Barton strap
Tissot quartz - Was in my wife's family. I don't know much about it, probably late 80's? 

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #253 on: October 09, 2020, 04:42:23 AM »
So gay imp...
any suggestions for a diver

-automatic
-under 350 euros
-date
-Under 38mm

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
Looks quality mate, some nice touches. Would take me a while to get used to that dial...how are you finding it?
the dial is the reason I bought it, it's mesmerizing in person, I don't even look at the time LOL
what I'm really loving though, as an expat, is the 12hr bezel, so easy to just check the time in Australia at a glance and you don't need the expense (nor clutter) of a GMT movement!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: October 09, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »
So gay imp...
any suggestions for a diver

-automatic
-under 350 euros
-date
-Under 38mm

damn, that's a hard one... SKX013 is probably your only (?) option unless you are planning to go micro brand and even then I think Maen is the only brand that springs to mind in that size.

Mid size SMP or a Rado Captain Cook are what first came to mind but waaaay over budget. For 350 euro though you could probably chuck in some mods or a strap code bracelt for the SKX too? If you stretched the size (and budget) a tad, you could get a something Steinhart in 39mm, their OVM (https://www.gnomonwatches.com/collections/steinhart/products/ocean-vintage-military-39-gnomon-exclusive) is a great milsub homage with ETA movement. I guess it has no date though...

Quartz marathon GSAR in 36mm would be another really solid option imho, I think the specs would be pretty much perfect for what you're looking for:
https://www.topspecus.com/products/marathon-military-medium-divers-watch-quartz-ww194027
I don’t usually rock quartz but I’d totally make the exception for marathon
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:52:26 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #256 on: October 09, 2020, 12:51:56 PM »
Yeah i also found that the skx013 would be it but i cant seem to find it anywhere...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: October 09, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »
Yeah i also found that the skx013 would be it but i cant seem to find it anywhere...
not feeling the marathon?
Are you on FB? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1503241666636531/?ref=share
I flip a lot of watches on that group and they regularly have buy/ sell/ trade threads. If you went on there saying you wanted to buy a (modded) SKX013, I’m sure you’d get a tonne if replies. Or...

https://www.watchpatrol.net/?query=SKX013

Also, seems like BA is really into watches lately:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CByXPBajNVO/?igshid=qjlilbzj0vrv
Possibly rocking a Cartier?

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: October 10, 2020, 03:14:06 PM »
The marathon looks too geeky for me. I‘m looking for something that has more of a vintage vibe.

Something like a sub with a tropical dial.

Whats your take on homage watches? I found a tudor black bay homage by a „brand“ called corgeut.

Still Not a big fan of the snowflakes hands but like the size and vintage look make me tempted

Its a bargain for 129, myota, saphire
the design is basically a 1:1 black bay rip off that says corgeut instead of tudor.

Anyways I can‘t get myself to buy it, it would feel fake. I‘m sure i‘d never wear it.

Thats also why i cant seem to buy the steinhart, too much of a submariner rip off.

Also has anybody ever had a lorier watch? I really like the Neptune model.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:25:00 PM by pica »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: October 10, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »
Personally I wouldn’t buy a Tudor sub homage, but I’m fine with Steinhart; or at least I’m fine with their milsub homage because that watch is unobtainable for 99.9% of the population. Steinhart are good quality pieces too, I actually owned the OVM 39mm for a minute but bounced it because the lugs were too flat.

Lorier are great, even better now that they run Miyotas and are a lot thinner! The Neptune would be a great option for you (minus not having a date); it takes influence from certain vintage watches but it isn’t a straight up homage. Quality/ finishing is up there for the price and you could easily get rid of it if you didn’t vibe with it! I recently sold my version 2 for $50 less than I bought it 2 years ago. They get lots of props on the watch community for a good reason. The plexiglass is amazing in person:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu3zLT1HyOC/?igshid=1kxku0ceho2bg
They are actually in stock as of yesterday so I’d pounce if you want to get one because they sell out quickly !
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:50:50 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »
Not a purchase, but I ended up putting my Hamilton up for sale because I just wasn't feeling the long lugs on the 42mm. I mentioned in the ad that I'm only selling because I want to step down to the 38mm model. A bloke contacted me and said he's got the 38 and it's too small for him- ended up doing a straight swap through the post, sight unseen. Good vibes all round.
NICE! doesn’t work like that very often

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2020, 06:23:33 AM »
Just found this thread. Very stoked. I started getting into watches in the last year. My collection is on the very practical end for the most part.
5600 G Shock - Never thought I'd love skating in a watch
Weekender - w/ strap from the Citizen
Citizen Chandler Chrono - w/Barton strap
Tissot quartz - Was in my wife's family. I don't know much about it, probably late 80's? 

meant to get back to you, but that's a nice little start you've got going there, you're right about the g-shock, great watch to skate in. I think because they are so available and affordable people don't rate them enough, but they are one of the most iconic and functional watches to ever exist!

That's cool that you've got the tissot handed down to you, in cases like that it doesn't even matter what the watch is because the sentimental value far outweighs it! Looks like you've got a lot of bases covered and you haven't broken the bank.

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »
Right on, thanks! Stoked on this thread.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/BLfndyPhNf3/?igshid=1obaz3xcqlijp

Lindsey robertson with a Vintage rolex. Maybe oysterdate.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2020, 06:42:48 PM »
Who woulda thunk? I wonder if he inherited it or he’s genuinely into (vintage) watches.

I’ve been stalking BA like crazy, even leaving him comments, but can’t really figure what he’s wearing in most of his pics. He’s rocking at least 3 different watches though so he’s gotta at least have his foot in the rabbit hole!

pica

• SLAP Pal

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2020, 03:27:40 PM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/B4OgFhtn6_o/?igshid=1ozrlfqltl8lr

Dyrdek flexing the richard mille, he also has (or had) a rolex yachtmaster.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »
Of course Dyrdek would rock that ghastly thing.
That bones sub is kinda cool even if a tad too loud. Any of you out there rocking shark mesh straps, I’m kinda obsessed with them lately ...

Also Pica, what diver did you end up going with?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:30:26 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2020, 01:51:08 PM »
Of course Dyrdek would rock that ghastly thing.
That bones sub is kinda cool even if a tad too loud. Any of you out there rocking shark mesh straps, I’m kinda obsessed with them lately ...

Also Pica, what diver did you end up going with?

So i orderd the black bay hommage cause i was curiozs and wanted to see it in person. As expected i returned it within a few hours after it arrived.
It was pretty ok craftmanship, i was really surprised what you get for that money.
Yet a bit too bulky for me and other than that it just felt weird since it‘s basically a tudor fake. But i knew that before anyway i wanted to see it in person.

Now i keep browsing the lorier homepage every day and lusting after the neptune III, yet the lack of date and the gigantic crown keep holding me back. Also i must pay around 100 euros import fees so that‘s another thing.

I just orderd a new strap for my seiko so i‘m gonna wait till that arrives and see if it makes up for my desire to buy a new watch (sure it won‘t) and then think about it again.

I try not to buy every watch crush but give it somen time.
I told myself to wait at least till the end of this month.

If the lorier is sold out by then so be it.

Also i keep looking at the Timex Q since i look for a watch for work. It might be fine to have a quartz and i kinda dig the retro vibe.
It has date and its around 38mm.

http://www.instagram.com/p/B4Qb7D7Hllz/?igshid=1ihnvo7xsvxv4
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:32:53 PM by pica »