Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45233 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Watches
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2020, 03:00:40 AM »
https://www.calibre11.com/bond-tag-heuer/
Quick article about the all lume version that originally got me interested in this watch

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #361 on: December 23, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
I went to five places yesterday, just wanting to try on some watches.  Only found two that were slightly interesting.

45mm and weighed five pounds.  Pass

This was nice, but domed not crystal.

Guess I'll just order a couple from amazon, see what fits.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #362 on: December 23, 2020, 01:56:31 PM »
Get the NY0040 in blue!!!

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #363 on: December 23, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
i want a rep of that Dali rolex that thing is sick and im not even a watchguy.

free max b
FREE MAX B

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #364 on: December 23, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »

I can't find any new ones in the US.  On amazon, there are two in Europe.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #365 on: December 23, 2020, 07:01:23 PM »
i want a rep of that Dali rolex that thing is sick and im not even a watchguy.
free max b
got pics?

Expand Quote
[close]
I can't find any new ones in the US.  On amazon, there are two in Europe.
hmmm, how do you feel about the bay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Citizen-Promaster-Automatic-Diver-Watch-Mens-Set-NY0040-17LEM-Analogue-Gemstone/133560497415?epid=1153530920&hash=item1f18d37507:g:EtYAAOSwldRaEv0I
that one comes on a bracelet + has the rubber strap, not overly expensive either...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #366 on: December 25, 2020, 07:16:14 AM »

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #367 on: December 31, 2020, 01:41:37 PM »
So I bought an Orient Ray II, and my girlfriend says to me, "you bought a watch, and all it does is tell you what time it is"?

Listen bitch, it tells me the day and date too, is a thing I did not say.  Should throw her new smartwatch right in the garbage.  How many steps ya got now?

This one.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #368 on: December 31, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
You made a good choice, the sunburst blue looks so good in the sun and it dresses up/ down really easily.

Don’t worry about the girlfriend not “getting” watches, they are definitely an acquired taste.
And besides, if she gets into watches then you only have 1/2 the watch budget to spend ;)

I made another purchase recently and while I actually think the watch is fire, I may have to bounce it due to a certain design limitation/ flaw. Will post pics once I can snap a good one!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:36:11 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #369 on: December 31, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »
watching an Elvis documentary made me look at the hamilton venture. I‘d almost never wear it but it‘s a great design.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: December 31, 2020, 09:26:22 PM »
watching an Elvis documentary made me look at the hamilton venture. I‘d almost never wear it but it‘s a great design.
yeah, I can respect it as a watch but I could never rock one...
Here is my last purchase for 2020:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfRStWrtom/?igshid=1tleacizjst0s
Been wanting to buy for a while now and I got a really god deal BUT 17mm lugs and bronze hardware means it’s not as versatile as I’d like it to be. The 40mm version actually might be the better purchase

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #371 on: January 07, 2021, 05:30:21 PM »
Here is my last purchase for 2020:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfRStWrtom/?igshid=1tleacizjst0s
Been wanting to buy for a while now and I got a really god deal BUT 17mm lugs and bronze hardware means it’s not as versatile as I’d like it to be. The 40mm version actually might be the better purchase
[/quote]

I don't mind that, has an art deco vibe and the date pointer is nice. But yeah not sure when I would wear it- maybe as a dress watch option or when I'm flying around in my Spitfire.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: January 08, 2021, 01:19:47 AM »
It works good for business causal too and yes, you can wear it with a suit! A little bit left field, but was looking to put some diversity into the collection. The rotor played up the other week, so it’s currently in for repairs ... luckily it was still under warranty. The 17mm lugs are restricting though and I have a potential a buyer so I may flip as I’m still grinding for a Tudor black bay 36mm in blue

Babby

• Rep: 39
« Reply #373 on: January 08, 2021, 07:58:07 AM »
Long time lurker...small watch guy.  Nothing bigger than 38mm so far.  Here's my collection. *edit* Citizen Chrono is 40mm (dad hand me down)
photo sharing

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #374 on: January 08, 2021, 08:29:58 AM »
Long time lurker...small watch guy.  Nothing bigger than 38mm so far.  Here's my collection. *edit* Citizen Chrono is 40mm (dad hand me down)
photo sharing

Thanks for posting! Love the collection. I'm also a small watch guy. Is the Seiko in the bottom right a SARB0?

Babby

« Reply #375 on: January 08, 2021, 08:32:00 AM »
Expand Quote
photo sharing

[close]

Thanks for posting! Love the collection. I'm also a small watch guy. Is the Seiko in the bottom right a SARB0?

It's a SARB035 yep! And, thanks.

Babby

« Reply #376 on: January 08, 2021, 08:57:10 AM »
Also, shopping around for a small swiss diver this year, so any reccos would be greatly appreciated. 

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #377 on: January 08, 2021, 10:47:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
photo sharing

[close]

[close]

Great collection. I‘ve been lusting for that seiko with the arabic numbers for quite some time. So classy.

Also what year is that oyster?

Babby

« Reply #378 on: January 08, 2021, 10:51:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
photo sharing

[close]

[close]

[close]

Great collection. I‘ve been lusting for that seiko with the arabic numbers for quite some time. So classy.

Also what year is that oyster?

Thanks!  Still new to the game, but hooked.  The OP is an 114200 which is 2018, I believe.  Got in in 2020 though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: January 08, 2021, 03:21:15 PM »
Nice marlin and Sarb035.... and sneaky Rolex too! You have good taste in watches and understand that less is more when it comes to size! Also, not a diver in sight!!! *applauds*

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #380 on: January 08, 2021, 03:59:48 PM »
Nice marlin and Sarb035.... and sneaky Rolex too! You have good taste in watches and understand that less is more when it comes to size! Also, not a diver in sight!!! *applauds*
Yeah! Good point on the divers. I love that these watches walk the sport/dress line. Most useful in my opinion!

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2151
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #381 on: January 08, 2021, 07:41:17 PM »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: January 08, 2021, 09:57:35 PM »
Also, shopping around for a small swiss diver this year, so any reccos would be greatly appreciated. 
If you’re looking for something non-vintage (but heavily vintage inspired) then your three choices are basically:

Oris 65 in 36mm: only has 100m wr and odd lug width though, date looks better at 6 o’clock on the 40mm version too imho.

Rado captain cook: 37mm, again with odd lug width (but at least 19mm and not 17mm!). Suffers from all polished case and tiny crown. Has a nice power reserve and I like Rado’s designs/ aesthetic though.

Longines legend Diver in 36mm: people love this one, don’t really get the hype... again, all polished and not sure of its functionality in terms of the internal bezel.

Certina just came out with a 38mm diver which might be a good option? Looks modern too if you’re sick of vintage diver inspired stuff! Comes with movement with long power reserve.

These two:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGpVQp4HcSf/?igshid=joq6b7lljfbq

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJM6hlNriA8/?igshid=160u9ag3ccr2a

probably aren’t going to leave my collection anytime soon and the omega especially is one of the best designs they’ve ever put out.

Also been tossing up a Tudor vintage 36 sub lately, not easy to come by as a full set but still half the price of a vintage Rolex sub and at least you can get the movement serviced anywhere. Similar vibes to my Tag but defs the real deal!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAF6JwHHelH/?igshid=122smxxdgrp13

You could also go modern day omega SMP coaxial in mid-size but they cases seem too thick to me (and I don’t like the skeleton hands, nor do I think that bracelet type has aged well)

I’m kinda obsessed with (small) divers @Babby as you can see ...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:51:25 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Babby

« Reply #383 on: January 09, 2021, 10:32:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you’re looking for something non-vintage (but heavily vintage inspired) then your three choices are basically:

Oris 65 in 36mm: only has 100m wr and odd lug width though, date looks better at 6 o’clock on the 40mm version too imho.

Rado captain cook: 37mm, again with odd lug width (but at least 19mm and not 17mm!). Suffers from all polished case and tiny crown. Has a nice power reserve and I like Rado’s designs/ aesthetic though.

Longines legend Diver in 36mm: people love this one, don’t really get the hype... again, all polished and not sure of its functionality in terms of the internal bezel.

Certina just came out with a 38mm diver which might be a good option? Looks modern too if you’re sick of vintage diver inspired stuff! Comes with movement with long power reserve.

These two:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGpVQp4HcSf/?igshid=joq6b7lljfbq

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJM6hlNriA8/?igshid=160u9ag3ccr2a

probably aren’t going to leave my collection anytime soon and the omega especially is one of the best designs they’ve ever put out.

Also been tossing up a Tudor vintage 36 sub lately, not easy to come by as a full set but still half the price of a vintage Rolex sub and at least you can get the movement serviced anywhere. Similar vibes to my Tag but defs the real deal!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAF6JwHHelH/?igshid=122smxxdgrp13

You could also go modern day omega SMP coaxial in mid-size but they cases seem too thick to me (and I don’t like the skeleton hands, nor do I think that bracelet type has aged well)

I’m kinda obsessed with (small) divers @Babby as you can see ...

Y'all are way too kind!  Thanks.  Was half hoping to get roasted into some constructive criticism.

The Longines Legend 36 has definitely been on my radar, but it only seems to be available in the white dial "ladies", which I'm not in love with.  May take the plunge on a Longines Conquest 39mm...not exactly a diver, but sits in my world aesthetically and is 30 bar. https://www.longines.com/en-us/watch-conquest-l3-776-4-76-6

Any experience with swimming with a pre-owned seamaster?  Don't quite have the funds to go through an AD right now, but would love to get one and be able to take it in the water...really love that 300!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:51:36 AM by Babby »

Babby

« Reply #384 on: January 09, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
Side note: might seem strange, but I could never wear an Oris, because all I think about is Osiris when I look at the logo/word.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:49:13 AM by Babby »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #385 on: January 09, 2021, 09:36:20 PM »
Funny, there’s a plethora of black 36 legend divers here in Japan, maybe because generally people prefer smaller watches?
You can also get them for under $2000 which is a pretty good deal. I think I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve tried the 36mm on, I’ve tried the 42 but it’s dimensions are ridiculous. They should mid-size their skin diver; that’s a nice looking watch!

Not sure of the WR on my seamaster, I don’t doubt it’s abilities but I don’t know it’s service history, once it’s ready for a service I’ll get the seals changed and then swim with it. In the meantime my citizen NY0040 is more than qualified.

I can understand about Oris from a skate perspective I guess but they make some really great watches and while their “logo” isn’t the most memorable, it’s a very clean logo/ font that doesn’t clog their dials up. They’ve got a long and interesting history as watchmakers too!

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #386 on: January 10, 2021, 06:02:17 PM »
photo sharing

I love these. I'm also a small watch guy- I'm not super knowledgable about watches but I really like them.

Here's my favorite/most prized one that I have:

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #387 on: January 11, 2021, 03:54:25 AM »
Pretty epic datejust right there @muntcuscle, do you really even need any other watches?

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #388 on: January 11, 2021, 06:07:16 AM »

Been saving and deliberating for years.. got this a week ago.. stoked :)

Babby

« Reply #389 on: January 11, 2021, 06:30:21 AM »
Pretty epic datejust right there @muntcuscle, do you really even need any other watches?

Exactly!  Pretty solid one watch collection right there.  Beautiful.