Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45295 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Watches
« Reply #390 on: January 11, 2021, 07:41:04 AM »
To all the vintage rolex owners.... did you ever do an revision?
My airking had a fresh revision when i bought it, they told me to get one every 5 years, but honestly im rooting for something loke all 8 - 10 years, as long as its running fine.

How much was yours? I‘ve heard anything from 300 to 1000 euros. As long as there is no major issue and i don‘t need to get it done by Rolex directly....

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #391 on: January 11, 2021, 01:37:24 PM »
Pretty epic datejust right there @muntcuscle, do you really even need any other watches?

Thank you, I'm glad others on here like it too. It's actually the only "nice" or more formal watch that I've bought. My others are cheap beaters/waterproof watches I use to make sure i'm not late if I go surfing or skating before work.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 77
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #392 on: January 11, 2021, 06:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty epic datejust right there @muntcuscle, do you really even need any other watches?
[close]

Thank you, I'm glad others on here like it too. It's actually the only "nice" or more formal watch that I've bought. My others are cheap beaters/waterproof watches I use to make sure i'm not late if I go surfing or skating before work.
then you have officially achieved the perfect collection then; beaters for everything else and one really nice watch that you could wear in almost any situation.

I’m kinda jealous...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #393 on: January 13, 2021, 09:05:28 AM »

Been saving and deliberating for years.. got this a week ago.. stoked :)

Damn, low key heaviest piece in this whole thread! Congrats, looks great!
Next you should save up for a better phone/camera ;)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #394 on: January 13, 2021, 01:59:43 PM »
↑ I honestly couldn’t tell what it was from the pic...

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -480
« Reply #395 on: January 15, 2021, 03:19:49 AM »
i take the "dont get into watches!" recommendation serously. could end up a pretty expensive hobby. i stick to knives  ;D
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #396 on: January 16, 2021, 03:24:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Also, shopping around for a small swiss diver this year, so any reccos would be greatly appreciated. 
[close]
If you’re looking for something non-vintage (but heavily vintage inspired) then your three choices are basically:

Oris 65 in 36mm: only has 100m wr and odd lug width though, date looks better at 6 o’clock on the 40mm version too imho.

Rado captain cook: 37mm, again with odd lug width (but at least 19mm and not 17mm!). Suffers from all polished case and tiny crown. Has a nice power reserve and I like Rado’s designs/ aesthetic though.

Longines legend Diver in 36mm: people love this one, don’t really get the hype... again, all polished and not sure of its functionality in terms of the internal bezel.

Certina just came out with a 38mm diver which might be a good option? Looks modern too if you’re sick of vintage diver inspired stuff! Comes with movement with long power reserve.

These two:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGpVQp4HcSf/?igshid=joq6b7lljfbq

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJM6hlNriA8/?igshid=160u9ag3ccr2a

probably aren’t going to leave my collection anytime soon and the omega especially is one of the best designs they’ve ever put out.

Also been tossing up a Tudor vintage 36 sub lately, not easy to come by as a full set but still half the price of a vintage Rolex sub and at least you can get the movement serviced anywhere. Similar vibes to my Tag but defs the real deal!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAF6JwHHelH/?igshid=122smxxdgrp13

You could also go modern day omega SMP coaxial in mid-size but they cases seem too thick to me (and I don’t like the skeleton hands, nor do I think that bracelet type has aged well)

I’m kinda obsessed with (small) divers @Babby as you can see ...

OCD alert. GISM why are your bezels set around 10 o'clock? Your Citizen a few pages back is around there too.

Babby

• Rep: 39
« Reply #397 on: January 16, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »
Funny, there’s a plethora of black 36 legend divers here in Japan, maybe because generally people prefer smaller watches?
You can also get them for under $2000 which is a pretty good deal. I think I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve tried the 36mm on, I’ve tried the 42 but it’s dimensions are ridiculous. They should mid-size their skin diver; that’s a nice looking watch!

Could you point me in the direction of any retailers for the 36mm on the steel bracelet? 

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #398 on: January 16, 2021, 12:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Been saving and deliberating for years.. got this a week ago.. stoked :)
[close]

Damn, low key heaviest piece in this whole thread! Congrats, looks great!
Next you should save up for a better phone/camera ;)

Thanks:) and yeah def need a better phone. This is hopefully a better shot.. (well, stock image anyway)

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #399 on: January 16, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »
And wouldn’t call it the heaviest by a long stretch- there are some beautiful pieces in here - but took me years to land on a definitive choice and I’ve no regrets yet!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #400 on: January 16, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »
@Sick_McCrank_ yea, not cheap once you go down the rabbit hole, but If you buy wisely you can wear pieces for a year or two and still get your money back (or even make money on them) case in point: I got my omega SMP for $1800 and while I’ll probably never flip it, they easily for for $2200 on the 2nd hand market!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #401 on: January 16, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
@PC500 you have a keen eye! It’s just a habit I got into with my 12 hour bezel watches where I track the time back in Australia. Little bit harder to read on a dive watch but basically the lume pip marks 12 o’clock back in Sydney if that makes sense? 12 hour bezels are the shit!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Funny, there’s a plethora of black 36 legend divers here in Japan, maybe because generally people prefer smaller watches?
You can also get them for under $2000 which is a pretty good deal. I think I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve tried the 36mm on, I’ve tried the 42 but it’s dimensions are ridiculous. They should mid-size their skin diver; that’s a nice looking watch!
[close]

Could you point me in the direction of any retailers for the 36mm on the steel bracelet? 
@Babby i can, but they are all ADs and hence the price is probably too much.

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/jackroad/ln293/
Has one for around $1800 on the sailcloth which is a steal imho! Also the stock oem milanese goes for around $500 which isn’t that bad when you consider what brands like tudor sell their steal bracelets for!

Jack road doesn’t ship OS atm but I’d be happy to forward one to you if you can’t find one anywhere else...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:04:37 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #403 on: January 16, 2021, 04:07:28 PM »
@Silent Bob. okay that is pretty epic!
Is it your only watch? Seems like a pretty cool piece and now I want to see more pictures of the caseback

PC500

« Reply #404 on: January 18, 2021, 02:58:42 AM »
@PC500 you have a keen eye! It’s just a habit I got into with my 12 hour bezel watches where I track the time back in Australia. Little bit harder to read on a dive watch but basically the lume pip marks 12 o’clock back in Sydney if that makes sense? 12 hour bezels are the shit!!!

Yeah that makes sense- so Japan is two hours behind Sydney. I dive pretty often so I get a bit triggered when a bezel isn't middled...but that's a good idea.

I just landed a contract for my start-up and "splashed out" with two new watches...a Vostok Amphibia and a Kanoa Igarashi pro-model G-Shock tide watch. First digital watch since I was 8. Pumped.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2021, 06:58:25 PM »
Sydney is two hours ahead of Japan so when the hour marker hit's 10 o'clock (where my lume pip is) it means it's lunch time there.
It's only two hours but I kinda like playing with.

You'll love the g-shock, crazy specs for the price when you really think about it!

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #406 on: January 20, 2021, 06:27:48 AM »
Been buying cheap watches lately for my new job working outdoors when I don't really have the ability to reach into my pockets for my phone. I love the look of mechanical watches but I don't know any lower priced ones that can take some bumps so I've been buying cheap digital ones that I like, I'm surprised how much I like the look of a cheap watch.
Lately I've been using this, got it for like $19 on amazon.

I have been wanting to buy an Expedition Field, they are advertised as outdoors watches but I don't know if it would hold up.

PC500

« Reply #407 on: January 20, 2021, 10:56:43 PM »
Been buying cheap watches lately for my new job working outdoors when I don't really have the ability to reach into my pockets for my phone. I love the look of mechanical watches but I don't know any lower priced ones that can take some bumps so I've been buying cheap digital ones that I like, I'm surprised how much I like the look of a cheap watch.

I have been wanting to buy an Expedition Field, they are advertised as outdoors watches but I don't know if it would hold up.

What sort of bumps are we talking about? A half decent mechanical watch would be tougher than a cheap digital.

These Seikos are pretty cheap, and tough as:

You could also go with one of these to complete the rugged outdoorsman vibe. Just peel back the sleeve on your flannie, pop the stud and the time is yours:

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #408 on: January 21, 2021, 06:33:27 AM »
I have a Timex weekender that I skate in and it's super tough, I would definitely recommend it for situations where it would take some abuse. I once hung up and fell superman-style into a concrete pool and smashed the face of the watch into the flatbottom. I thought for sure it would be broken, but it just got scratched a bit and still works to this day.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #409 on: January 21, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What sort of bumps are we talking about? A half decent mechanical watch would be tougher than a cheap digital.

These Seikos are pretty cheap, and tough as:

You could also go with one of these to complete the rugged outdoorsman vibe. Just peel back the sleeve on your flannie, pop the stud and the time is yours:

Pretty much all facets of outdoor work as a ranger. Cutting down fire destroyed trees, carrying huge logs, smashing rocks with pickaxes, chopping wood, ripping out vegetation, and working on dirty stuff. I mean my wrist isn't getting smashed all the time or anything, but I'm def. just putting my hands into tight sketchy spots. Also needs to be able to clean up easy, some days I'm head to toe in charcoal and some days hands are covered in oil from landscaping tools.

What is that Seiko model? Pretty nifty lookin'.

@beatifk I have been checking those out too, pretty neat.

I don't know if this is blasphemous but I cant wait for the day someone nails a mechanical type watch that somehow has all the features of a smart watch. I broke my apple watch the first day of that job...walking out my house to get in the car and show up for the first day of work lol. I hate how the apple watch looked but especially working in the field that shit would be really useful, and I do exercise a lot. But the price is stupid, I got my screen replaced from a guy on ebay 1 month before I broke it that first day of work. I don't want to pay 75 again but damn I love some of the features.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #410 on: January 22, 2021, 02:20:13 PM »
Trust me, spend a little bit of extra money and buy a G-Shock. It will last you a long time.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #411 on: January 22, 2021, 02:33:44 PM »
Trust me, spend a little bit of extra money and buy a G-Shock. It will last you a long time.

Agreed! The g shock dw5600 goes for ~$45 on amazon. Tough as nails.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »

\Anyone know what that off white seiko is?  I don;t think I've seen that one.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: January 26, 2021, 06:44:06 AM »
Reminds me of my SNK but I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that model...

I found a relatively cheap Tudor BB36 and I’ve got the funds, not sure whether to pounce or pool all my $$$ into a vintage Tudor sub

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: January 26, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »
Oh yeah I know but even if it takes a beating I don't know if I could bare having to look at one to read the time lol.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #415 on: January 27, 2021, 02:05:55 AM »
@50mm

If you're working in the forest service I think you need one of these:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/timex-nuptse-atlantis-edition-for-japan-introducing

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: January 27, 2021, 07:01:38 AM »
So I have a blue Tudor 36 BB in the mail...

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #417 on: January 27, 2021, 09:50:29 AM »

Nice... how much did you spend?

More than 1,5k?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #418 on: January 27, 2021, 02:05:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice... how much did you spend?

More than 1,5k?

yes! But it’s on the bracelet and it’s virtually brand new. They are pricey in Japan, even 2nd hand ones go for around 2.5 (with scratches) - 2.7, I got this for 2.2...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:03:08 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #419 on: January 27, 2021, 10:02:33 PM »

I really like the look of this watch. Does anyone (GISM?) know anything about N.W.C. or Lowercase for that matter? N.W.C. seems to be a Japanese company so searching google in english doesn't work very well.

Here's the link to the post: https://hypebeast.com/2020/11/n-w-c-lowercase-military-watch-release

Or maybe there is a comprable Seiko/etc. watch? I'd like a diver on a mesh band (is that the right name for this band?). I'd prefer if it had a date on it, but it looks good clean too.

PS I tried one of these on for shits and giggles the other day and it felt terrible, and that's not just me being a watch snob! the bezel doesn't even click and the case felt like it was made out of cheap plastic. The nato strap was also 2 times too long so it looked absolutely ridiculous. The only thing they got right was the dimensions but I'm not even exaggerating when I say that it made Seiko 5 look like an omega