Author Topic: Watches  (Read 45270 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Watches
« Reply #690 on: September 01, 2022, 05:57:39 AM »
@Nalgia damn, that’s a great color, will go well with a lot of straps. Also, one of the older models where they don’t have the lume pip next to the date window (which I actually like better). The extra power reserve means you can wear something else on the weekend and still go back to it on Monday morning. Brands like uncle Seiko are also dropping nice jubilee bracelets for them.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #691 on: September 01, 2022, 06:25:22 AM »
The great thing about the Pelagos date window is that it blends seamlessly with the hour markers. They’re white squares and so is the window. You’re right tho, maybe deals can finally be had for the fxd, which would be great as every time I dive I think of how easy it is for spring bars to pop out!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #692 on: September 01, 2022, 10:51:22 PM »
The great thing about the Pelagos date window is that it blends seamlessly with the hour markers. They’re white squares and so is the window. You’re right tho, maybe deals can finally be had for the fxd, which would be great as every time I dive I think of how easy it is for spring bars to pop out!
yeah, white dates are fine too if they can match/ blend in with the rest of the design.
The fxd is a very nice watch, would you dive with a nato in it though? I guess most milspeced military divers all came on natos… I always envision a rubber strap, but I guess you’re screwed if you lose a spring bar!

doctorkickflip

« Reply #693 on: September 02, 2022, 01:30:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, white dates are fine too if they can match/ blend in with the rest of the design.
The fxd is a very nice watch, would you dive with a nato in it though? I guess most milspeced military divers all came on natos… I always envision a rubber strap, but I guess you’re screwed if you lose a spring bar!
Last time I dove (with standard Pelagos) I had it on a nato-type strap, yeah. So if one spring bar breaks loose it would be still stuck on with the other spring bar but still I was just kinda unsure about the arrangement haha. I think with the solid bars it would feel secure as hell. I think I would prefer the Velcro nato it comes on, the rubber looks kinda floppy.

Speaking of sizing tho, I have a theory that watches diameters are kinda like pants haha, slimming down one decade, getting bigger the next. I would say the peak for big watches was probably 2010? Think the cycle is slower for watches than pants so when can we predict 42’s will be in style again? 2040? Interested to hear your theories and counter points.

Naliga

• Rep: 1
« Reply #694 on: September 03, 2022, 06:11:46 AM »
That's a good theory. I think it's just a correction though. 34mm watches were the norm then they crept up and up and well now we have Invicta  ;D

I see this "middle ground" sizing lasting a while. It's mass appealing too. I hope it sticks around as a more compact shape and discreet wear has grown on me. However, I say this while wearing my 47mm citizen eco drive diver  ;D   

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #695 on: September 05, 2022, 03:54:03 AM »
Cue this article huh?

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/mens-watch-small-the-rise-of-tiny-timepieces-11661463251

I guess trends will fluctuate and yes, maybe in 22 years we’ll all be begging for 47mm dress watches, but I don’t wear small watches because it’s trending, I wear them because they fit my wrist properly!

34 - 36 was the sweet spot for a long long time, and this is why in 2022 Rolex can still sell explorers and air kings; those sizes are just CLASSIC! Even the whole vintage/ diver trend, do you know how big those watches actually were? Rado’s captain cook was considered large at 37mm!
Anyway, I’m all for just finding what works for your wrist shape/ size but in the beginning of my journey, no one really taught me about that hence why my first 2 or 3 watches were 42+
Also, specs can be deceiving, I owned a Seiko sbdc063 thrice (I kid you not) and I didn’t think it wore exceptionally large despite it being 44mm, a 44 invicta would look comical on my wrist!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 04:14:16 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #696 on: September 07, 2022, 10:55:50 PM »
Been Longines curious for a while now, recently went on a business trip to the big smoke and tried two on, will give me initial thoughts over the next few days…

Naliga

« Reply #697 on: September 08, 2022, 01:51:42 AM »
Which models do you have in mind?

Longines legend diver is my fave in their collection, and I dig the Zulu time GMT. They have a huge hold on the Asian market in their price bracket. Their choice of marketing over here completely turns me off of them though. "Elegance is an attitude"? I know its just a slogan lol but I like my watches tough and just cant connect with it. They have so many robust and "tough" watches in their collection too. Im just put off for stupid reasons i guess  ;D

Side note- I finally pulled the trigger on the SPB143j. This thing is SICK. Definitely get the hype of the specs on the case and the overall presentation. Also, it lines up, which was all I thought about when I ordered it online. First "big" watch purchase here, so will be honeymooning for a bit with this one.

PistachiYo

• Rep: 14
« Reply #698 on: September 08, 2022, 01:57:12 PM »
Great looking watch with near perfect proportions! Congrats!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #699 on: September 08, 2022, 10:54:04 PM »
@Naliga congrats, I think you made a good choice; it has that 62 mas DNA (so it’s not trying to be a submariner or whatever) with modern specs, very well proportioned dimensions and a beefed up power supply. Did it come with a rubber strap too? If not you need to source one for it, when I had my 149 the bracelet almost felt too chunky for the watch…
They also look mint on nato or tropic straps ala this guy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg6JiV3M4Oo/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Drilled lug holes are also heavily underrated if you change straps as often as I do ;)

(Will review those Longines when I get my laptop back)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:50:11 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Naliga

« Reply #700 on: September 11, 2022, 07:45:56 PM »
Thanks dudes!

Yea, it's been a great wear really. As I said before never had a watch at this price point so just enjoying all the elevated features and refinement that come with it. also for that reason, the bracelet feels great to me haha. I saw that uncle seiko option and might get it in the future though. and looking up sailcloth and rubber straps etc cus the 20mm lugs are just asking for it. Only downfall of the watch is it's running about 5 spd slow  ::) Id rather it be 15+ seconds fast than be slow at all lol. trying to mediate it with how I position it when its off wrist. Will regulate it if needed. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #701 on: September 12, 2022, 06:31:22 AM »
Yeah, the finishing on watches in the mid-tier range should get you stoked! I remember really liking the look of the matte bezel on mine!
Sail cloth and rubber straps will look fire, as will those expensive looking Tudor-style fabric straps and/ or Erika’s original military style straps ala
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiZdmdLLuQb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Nothing against the bracelet personally, but it was just a tad chunky/ heavy, some people like that about it though. Seriously though, drilled lug holes are so good and I don’t currently have a watch with them (although my grail features them)

doctorkickflip

« Reply #702 on: September 12, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »
Yeah, the finishing on watches in the mid-tier range should get you stoked! I remember really liking the look of the matte bezel on mine!
Sail cloth and rubber straps will look fire, as will those expensive looking Tudor-style fabric straps and/ or Erika’s original military style straps ala
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiZdmdLLuQb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Nothing against the bracelet personally, but it was just a tad chunky/ heavy, some people like that about it though. Seriously though, drilled lug holes are so good and I don’t currently have a watch with them (although my grail features them)
Those Erika's straps are expensive but worth it. That's what I used for diving and my wrist felt about as secure as it could be -without fixed lugs... anyway even if they come undone, they're still tight enough that you have to work to take the watch off.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #703 on: September 12, 2022, 08:04:30 PM »
@doctorkickflip yes, crazy expensive straps for what they are, but man are the comfortable. And yes, you’re never going to lose your watch with those straps.

@Naliga I'm going to keep tempting you with insta pics until you get like 15 different strap options for that bad boy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiZ9EhcrCpA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Also, you NEED to put it on a admiral grey nato strapSTAT!

Recently all I’m wearing is my mid-size SMP (2252.50) on the OEM bracelet. I usually change straps like a mad man but this is THE one watch where I can just embrace it stock and never be disappointed. If I had to bounce the rest of my collection, it probably wouldn’t even phase me if I could still keep just this one!

At the same time, I’m diving (lol) into a bit of a military watch rabbit hole, will keep you posted!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:40:04 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Naliga

« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2022, 07:14:28 PM »
I'm definitely gonna go broke haha. All these straps/bracelets are killer! thanks for suggesting that strap seller that's based in the Philippines too. Been looking for a place to get legit straps as I've been disappointed too many times with Thailand's offerings and distributors. Those Artem sailcloths are pricey but might have to grab one, same with Erika's straps they look hella solid.

Also, that SMP is nice! I always thought the lack of tapering would make it heavy but It is a badass tool watch after all so works for it. Would love to get the 2531.80 at some point but been seeing the prices go higher and higher in my market.

Always had a thing for military watches too. Almost bought this Marathon with a maple leaf/Canadian flag on it but just decided it was too chunky for me and wouldn't wear it often. Love the purpose build aesthetic of military watches though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: September 20, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »
Marathon make great watches, always wanted one of their 36mm GSARs, but other pieces always got in the way…
New watch alert:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Civ2XobBXFE/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y
Check that creamy patina goodness!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 06:44:54 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #706 on: September 21, 2022, 01:28:39 AM »
my watch tin......at the top is my Tudor Sub - 36mm & Moonswatch - there's a Seiko Turtle & CWC G10 hiding in there somewhere and a few others.....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #707 on: September 21, 2022, 02:31:03 AM »
my watch tin......at the top is my Tudor Sub - 36mm & Moonswatch - there's a Seiko Turtle & CWC G10 hiding in there somewhere and a few others.....
damn son, heavy first post!
36mm Tudor sub is kinda my dream watch, how do you like it?
You have impeccable taste btw!
Ps the CWC g10 is what I was looking to buy when I came across the watch I posted up there↑
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 03:53:09 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

breezer

« Reply #708 on: September 21, 2022, 04:20:45 AM »
thanks.....yeh the Tudor Sub is great.....I have quite skinny wrists so it fits fine....had it since 2014, and it just had its first service under my ownership.  Its running real good.  I have the Oyster bracelet, but I prefer the good old nato.  I used to wear the G10 skating, but then I realised a skate is more enjoyable without a watch to look at.  The moonswatch has scratched the Speedy itch..... I think a fella only really needs one good Swiss watch.....

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #709 on: September 21, 2022, 11:11:26 AM »
What cheap retro looking watches do you guys like skating in?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: September 21, 2022, 04:43:46 PM »
Casio f-19 (or the steal versions), timex’s field watches or maybe Seiko 5, particularly the SNK/ SGNZ if you want something automatic?

Naliga

« Reply #711 on: September 21, 2022, 06:53:00 PM »
That CWC looks unreal! Great pick-up, everything you'd want from a military watch.

and damnnn that is a great collection! Tudor subs look absolute class.

I waited overnight for the moon watch and the whole release ended up being postponed where I live. So I'm definitely salty towards the whole thing lol. Still would love the mission to Jupiter sometime though.

I pretty much just skate with Quartz watches that are super cheap. Gshock ga2100.

But most recently it's just been this 38mm Victorinox field watch. Seeing how much of a beating it can take lol

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #712 on: September 21, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »

Timex Atlantis!

breezer

« Reply #713 on: September 22, 2022, 08:05:29 AM »

Casio FW91

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #714 on: September 22, 2022, 08:34:17 AM »
Early 90's ish (?) Seiko scuba watch on a rubber dive strap. Bought it maybe 10 years ago for $90. The first watch I had since I was a little kid. I'd probably be too sad if I smashed it skating though, so might retire it from concrete.

breezer

« Reply #715 on: September 22, 2022, 01:12:09 PM »
That CWC looks unreal! Great pick-up, everything you'd want from a military watch.

and damnnn that is a great collection! Tudor subs look absolute class.

I waited overnight for the moon watch and the whole release ended up being postponed where I live. So I'm definitely salty towards the whole thing lol. Still would love the mission to Jupiter sometime though.

I pretty much just skate with Quartz watches that are super cheap. Gshock ga2100.

But most recently it's just been this 38mm Victorinox field watch. Seeing how much of a beating it can take lol

thanks, and I like the white dial field watch  have there

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #716 on: September 26, 2022, 08:24:00 PM »
thanks.....yeh the Tudor Sub is great.....I have quite skinny wrists so it fits fine....had it since 2014, and it just had its first service under my ownership.  Its running real good.  I have the Oyster bracelet, but I prefer the good old nato.  I used to wear the G10 skating, but then I realised a skate is more enjoyable without a watch to look at.  The moonswatch has scratched the Speedy itch..... I think a fella only really needs one good Swiss watch.....
was gunna ask you about the bracelet, it has the look, but apparently it feels quite cheap due to the folded links (and hollow end links?). Personally I love the cheap 80s feel of my Tag 1000’s jubilee though so there’s a chance I’d probably dig it. I do have a whole box full of 18mm natos too and I think it really looks the part on one!

Yeah, I’d love to be a ‘one good Swiss watch’ type of guy and that’s where I want to head, but there’s just so many cool watches out there. Eventually either the Tudor 75090 or an Airking 14000 will be my main squeeze, just need to decide which watches I’ll liquidate to get there …
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 01:08:31 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #717 on: September 26, 2022, 10:09:06 PM »
you nailed it: it is everything you want from a field watch. Check the hands and how far they spread out: it’s super legible, hand wound, has fixed lugs so your never going to lose it and the plexiglass means you can buff out scratches easily.

The moon swatch didn’t appeal to me that much so I wouldn’t worry about missing out on one, or should I say I wouldn’t worry about it unless you are buying it retail, and even then it’s pretty pricey. Have heard the plastic pushers have some issues too!

Nice victorinix, it will take the beating for sure! 

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #718 on: September 27, 2022, 04:00:31 AM »
I started bidding on watchs on eBay...because of this thread...hahha. If i get any of them will post here.

breezer

« Reply #719 on: September 27, 2022, 05:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
was gunna ask you about the bracelet, it has the look, but apparently it feels quite cheap due to the folded links (and hollow end links?). Personally I love the cheap 80s feel of my Tag 1000’s jubilee though so there’s a chance I’d probably dig it. I do have a whole box full of 18mm natos too and I think it really looks the part on one!

Yeah, I’d love to be a ‘one good Swiss watch’ type of guy and that’s where I want to head, but there’s just so many cool watches out there. Eventually either the Tudor 75090 or an Airking 14000 will be my main squeeze, just need to decide which watches I’ll liquidate to get there …

my Tudor Sub has a bracelet with folding links but I wouldn't say it looks cheap - and its in tiptop condition, no stretch and it looks the business - but I find a NATO more comfortable.  There is a jubilee strap available, which I have considered but not yet purchase. 

Re the MoonSwatch - my GF works adjacent to a Swatch boutique so she was able to keep an eye on the queue forming when a delivery was made......after a few attempts she got lucky and scored me a Mission To The Moon for retail - £207.  Now thats a lot for a plastic Swatch.........but its super fun to wear and own......and, so far, worth every penny. The dial is extremely pleasing to look at and its £5k cheaper than the real thing!  Having Omega stamped on the dial is rad.