Author Topic: Brand Mistakes  (Read 12493 times)

Hombreezy

Re: Brand Mistakes
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
Baker should give twuan another chance. What if one day they just completely replaced Zach Allen w twuan and pretended like nothing happened. They even photoshop twuan over Zach in all the recent group photos

pauline_handsome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2020, 11:09:52 PM »
Baker should give twuan another chance. What if one day they just completely replaced Zach Allen w twuan and pretended like nothing happened. They even photoshop twuan over Zach in all the recent group photos

Thank you.

Finally a sensible suggestion.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2020, 07:02:46 AM »

how is Frankie spears pro ? not any of the pabich bros

Roman is going to be annouced on Krooked soon-ish.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Banned from the room

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2020, 08:40:12 AM »
Pizza is a giant fucking mistake

It's where Mangos go to die. What a fucking waste. That kid kills in my opinion.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 408
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2020, 08:55:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Seeing as how someone was talking about Numbers - let's talk about how many board companies come out without an identity. No definable visual art-direction or whatever is there is fucking bland, no cohesion to their team, no "vibe" to their video/ad output.I honestly forget Numbers even exists all the time, and I don't know who rides for them besides Koston.

There's definitely other examples of this but the only other one I can think of is SOVRN. Plan B is almost like that but we all know they only exist to extract capital from the suburban moms of skater kids who shop at Zumiez. Primitive is sort of like that but their team is memorable and their art direction has gotten more memorable (I still don't like it, but I definitely remember it)
[close]

On one end I agree, on the other end you can sell a shitload of Vegeta decks without having to deal with the mental gymnastics of brand synergy.

I feel like Primitive has a decent enough strategy: release a bunch of collaborations that they know will sell in order to support the company and team as a whole, while also releasing graphics that are more in line with what skaters and the pros would actually buy / be stoked to skate.

I’d say that I’m actually about 50/50 on the graphics I like from Primitive, which is actually a decent ration in my opinion based on just how many graphics they put out.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
Just about every brand out there is fucking up big time by not capitalizing on this massive Amapiano movement that is sweeping the globe

Never even heard of this

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »
Deawon and Torey starting Thank You Skateboarding was a mistake.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Pizza is a giant fucking mistake
[close]

It's where Mangos go to die. What a fucking waste. That kid kills in my opinion.
Mango is Frog Skateboards.

Shalom Iginla

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just about every brand out there is fucking up big time by not capitalizing on this massive Amapiano movement that is sweeping the globe
[close]

Never even heard of this
[close]

open up your eyes

Shit fucking sucks

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2020, 11:06:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seeing as how someone was talking about Numbers - let's talk about how many board companies come out without an identity. No definable visual art-direction or whatever is there is fucking bland, no cohesion to their team, no "vibe" to their video/ad output.I honestly forget Numbers even exists all the time, and I don't know who rides for them besides Koston.

There's definitely other examples of this but the only other one I can think of is SOVRN. Plan B is almost like that but we all know they only exist to extract capital from the suburban moms of skater kids who shop at Zumiez. Primitive is sort of like that but their team is memorable and their art direction has gotten more memorable (I still don't like it, but I definitely remember it)
[close]

On one end I agree, on the other end you can sell a shitload of Vegeta decks without having to deal with the mental gymnastics of brand synergy.
[close]

I feel like Primitive has a decent enough strategy: release a bunch of collaborations that they know will sell in order to support the company and team as a whole, while also releasing graphics that are more in line with what skaters and the pros would actually buy / be stoked to skate.

I’d say that I’m actually about 50/50 on the graphics I like from Primitive, which is actually a decent ration in my opinion based on just how many graphics they put out.
My only issue with Primitive, is I feel they were the first brand with legitimate pros to really push direct to consumer sales through the internet (If I remember correctly, there initial drops were almost entirely online). I don't think that's a mistake business-wise, although I do find it a bit frustrating considering how much don't buy shop boards is pushed, so you can support the pros and industry, but at the same time, they are actively attempting to cut out the middle-men who help keep local scenes vibrant.

Although, find a lot of the "buy core" arguments from companies that are now failing pretty hypocritical when they made most of their money when they were big off large shoe orders to places like Zumiez.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2020, 11:39:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
My only issue with Primitive, is I feel they were the first brand with legitimate pros to really push direct to consumer sales through the internet (If I remember correctly, there initial drops were almost entirely online). I don't think that's a mistake business-wise, although I do find it a bit frustrating considering how much don't buy shop boards is pushed, so you can support the pros and industry, but at the same time, they are actively attempting to cut out the middle-men who help keep local scenes vibrant.

Although, find a lot of the "buy core" arguments from companies that are now failing pretty hypocritical when they made most of their money when they were big off large shoe orders to places like Zumiez.

They also rolled out that subscription service shortly after launching. Something like $75 for a board, wheels, shirt, and stickers every month. I’ve never been sold on any product based subscription service. No one needs that much shit. You could talk me into the new board each month, but what kid needs 12 sets of Primitive wheels in a year?

RhinestoneCowboy

• Rep: -19
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2020, 05:07:45 AM »
New Balance entering skateboarding.

too fakie

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »
Anyone else feel like the flip side of putting Louie on FA is he makes half of the team look pretty mediocre?

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2020, 03:53:53 AM »
Anyone else feel like the flip side of putting Louie on FA is he makes half of the team look pretty mediocre?

This has surely backfired on them.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2020, 05:15:02 AM »

Absolutely. In what world are Kadow and Louie on the same team?

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2020, 05:29:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're not.

Yes, putting on the best skateboarder in the world who had every single team clamouring for his services was a mistake.

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2020, 05:34:17 AM »
Any company sponsoring Andy Roy
support your local ramp-tramp

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Who Cares
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2020, 05:39:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're not.

Yes, putting on the best skateboarder in the world who had every single team clamouring for his services was a mistake.

Close enough. Louie could have done better.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2020, 05:41:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're not.

[close]

Done better, how? He is skating for a company with guys he grew up skating with. It doesn't get any better than that.

manysnakes

« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2020, 08:37:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're not.

[close]

[close]

Done better, how? He is skating for a company with guys he grew up skating with. It doesn't get any better than that.

Louie had to decide between 100 brands who were all going to pay him nothing, because board brands are broke as fuck and aren’t cutting checks like they were even five years ago. Why not choose the artsy one with your friends, the brand that’s crossing over into fashion and will get you past the velvet rope at elite New York and LA parties?

manysnakes

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »
Deawon and Torey starting Thank You Skateboarding was a mistake.

Daewon has a pretty long history of failed brands, for whatever that’s worth. But basically anyone, even two top pros, trying to get into making skateboard decks now is a fool’s errand. The growth of board brands is probably outperforming the growth of skateboarding in general

too fakie

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2020, 08:49:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're not.

I’m not saying it was a mistake. That’s why I phrased my question the way I did. You obviously put Louie on your team even if it makes Sean Pablo look even more limited in ability. Just wanted to spark some conversation.

veritas

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're not.

[close]

[close]

[close]

Louie had to decide between 100 brands who were all going to pay him nothing, because board brands are broke as fuck and aren’t cutting checks like they were even five years ago. Why not choose the artsy one with your friends, the brand that’s crossing over into fashion and will get you past the velvet rope at elite New York and LA parties?

Should he have left Flip for some hipster shit like welcome or polar where he would get no shine, or another mall brand like element or primitive? Real/Anti-Hero? Remvive? Where would have been preferable to FA 

manysnakes

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2020, 08:58:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're not.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Should he have left Flip for some hipster shit like welcome or polar where he would get no shine, or another mall brand like element or primitive? Real/Anti-Hero? Remvive? Where would have been preferable to FA

That’s another good point - why not join a brand where you will be their unquestioned top pro?

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2020, 09:02:21 AM »
Exactly, why go on a team busy to promote Swan Pablo, even if that gets you laid? 

Even if you grew up with them.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Who Cares
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They're not.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s another good point - why not join a brand where you will be their unquestioned top pro?

Any DLX brand would have been better than the FA camp. I get wanting a check. But I Never saw him on a team with kooky fashion try hards and wanna be rappers. I'm not saying that there isn't talent over there but still.

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2020, 03:08:36 PM »
Mikey Alfred looks more like a golfer than someone who would be involved with skating

It's crazy how many people back Illegal Civ that shit is mad fuckin goofy

illegal civ kid frontin in an interview that he was not all that impressed with Spike Jonze and shit what a kooked out person
" I did not say this I am not here"

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2020, 04:42:10 PM »
Chocolate not adding Jordan trahan yet. They need more east coast guys on their team.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2020, 04:57:50 PM »
Huf stopping shoes. Not sure if they switched up factories on the last run but whatever manufacturer made the last batch of hupper 2 hi nailed it

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
Tyson Peterson is a mistake