Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19293 times)

animalflesh

Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2020, 02:20:42 PM »
My favorite guitar at the moment

Some distortions

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2020, 01:36:36 AM »
this is my mexican jag with a vintage 7.5 radius neck and a staytrem bridge, but lately i've not been using the trem at all. actually might have lost the trem arm, lol.

the rest of my setup is pretty basic and cheap, never found a big reason to step up, but i've been wanting some reverb pedal for the longest time. i'm running a vox pathfinder, a soul food and a dunlop wah. that's it.

a few homies and me used to meet once a week, we play covers and fuck around. we mostly cover funk, reggae, or replay hip hop instrumentals like bad bad not good. lots of funkadelic, some hendrix, old dub, westcoast classics beats. i'd like to rock out sometimes but it's sick cause i learn a lot from my mates.

need a bass guitar asap, playing bass is so much fun. also since covid hit we basically stopped rehearsing together, we still meet, but not as a whole group. one member is immune suppressed and has to look out to not catch covid, so we meet in pairs.

yeah i misspelled reggae again and edited it. no one cares.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 02:35:20 AM by Frank »

ghettygreensili

• Rep: -9
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »
i know it's a dead beaten horse, but you could always go for a entry level strat if you're not sure what you want. a strat will basically never let you down and cover most bases. personally i'd say for surf stuff you might want to check a jaguar/jazzmaster, but the bridge is iffy and you might need to replace it. i'm biased towards thosed but the vintage ones can be super heavy, also vintage thretboard angle might be uncomfortable if you play chord heavy. squier is a good budget option imo, also because you will always be able to get rid of them for a little change if they still work and look good and they can be a base to mod your first guitar.

for surf rock you need some sort of spring reverb effect for sure, even digital ones as pedals are pretty pricey. consider this when you choose an amp. you might want to look for one that has a fx loop or some sort of reverb and/or delay on board after amp boosts your signal.

i'd recommend getting either a squier strat or mustang and i.e. a blackstar id core beam modeling amp. good practice amp with lots of functions, might be useful even if you are not playing, it has okay sound, certainly alright for the start and comes with tons of modeling feats including reverb. if you keep playing a lot and have fun, you'll move up the gear chain naturally.

I used to have a jaquar and I hated the Mustang Bridge it had. It frustrated me to no end, ( Constantly having to adjust it). If you know what you're doing with it, then great. It's an awesome sounding guitar. But if you're a beginner, and especially don't know how deep into this hobby you'll be getting, I'd definitely recommend a cheap squire strat. I got mine new for like $150 back in the day.

Also, if you don't know a whole lot about pedals. I bought a Fender Mustang 3 amplifier. A little pricey as it was 200$ used, but there's something like 70-90 built in pedals and adjustments that you can mess around with on there, and it was a very good introduction to pedals for me.

Frontside grind blind on the government

Sleezus Yikes

• Rep: 66
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2021, 03:31:46 PM »

Just dug this thing out of the guest room closet (guest room, gear storage, what's the difference?) and have been having a little fun with it.
The tone knobs are coil splitters and it has a switch for the middle position phase. Can go from thick humbucker to wonderful bright Tele-sounds. A real country monster. It's way heavier than I remembered though as it's 11 lbs easy.
The horrific barrel jack will need replacement eventually but it's sound for now.

Keep pluckin' shalomies.
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2021, 03:34:55 PM »
^

such a sick guitar. i'm constantly checking reverb for a used t-40 bass.

animalflesh

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
Great workhorse guitar

I have a t-40 and it’s my number one bass (even over my 76 jazz)

Sleezus Yikes

• Rep: 66
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2021, 09:51:16 PM »

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

I recently was fortunate enough to acquire a Sunn Beta Lead 112 SPL. Waited for a reasonably priced Beta Lead for years and finally got one. Surprised by the cleans... I like them a lot.

C’mon let’s see some rigs, y’all.
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2021, 10:40:12 PM »
Much like skating, I was too wasted for most of my 20s to seriously play guitar anymore. Played a lot as a kid and was pretty good/creative but other than owning a couple, stopped playing for over 10 years. The past year I've been relearning all I played before but better and new stuff is coming along well too. Again, like skating, after being away for so long, now that I'm back on regularly, I'm far more aware of my comfort and body. Its feeling/sounding good. I've got a sunburst mexi fat strat HHS with a sweet neck, but kinda don't dig the humbucker, an ibanez hollow body w bigsby that was gifted to me that goes outta tune if I breathe on it, and a 2006 Taylor 210e that I just had tunes up/adjusted. Plays like a dream and sounds great. Would probably buy a lowend martin dreadnaught if in were spending that $$ now, but it's a great guitar for where im at these days
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2021, 10:45:47 AM »
I've got a sunburst mexi fat strat HHS with a sweet neck, but kinda don't dig the humbucker

I have a HHS Mexican strat and I love it. I changed the stock for a Seymour Duncan Black Winter, and had a luthier set the nut up for a heavier gauge string, GHS TNT Boomers. I love the humbucker, but in like to play lots of thrash metal/metal style stuff. I like those thick gauge string for fast picking and palm muting.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2021, 03:50:55 AM »

Been jamming out on this here, it’s a hair or two short scaled.

I get it looks aesthetically smaller but plays awesome only issue I have is the buzzing bridge and shit.

I got it for clearing out my buddies pool and stuff, not bad a score.
Dueces Bitch's

dofrenzy

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2021, 07:02:30 AM »

I get it looks aesthetically smaller but plays awesome only issue I have is the buzzing bridge and shit.

Gibson SG style is my favorite looking guitar!  Very nice and great color!

I am primarily a classical player (nylon string) but when I had an electric I used a Line 6 amp.  A whole bunch of effects preset and you can easily dial in custom effects. 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2021, 07:11:36 AM »

The Telecaster and the Jazz Bass are both from Fender's Player Series line and they play like a dream. The Danelectro is a baritone guitar and is also super fun. Got a pretty fat discount on it from my brief stint as a Guitar Center employee. I play them through a Vox VT120 and a Fender Rumble 200, primarily.

I also have a Takamine acoustic, a couple saxophones, keyboard, uke, etc.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2021, 08:19:13 AM »

The Telecaster and the Jazz Bass are both from Fender's Player Series line and they play like a dream. The Danelectro is a baritone guitar and is also super fun. Got a pretty fat discount on it from my brief stint as a Guitar Center employee. I play them through a Vox VT120 and a Fender Rumble 200, primarily.

i thought about becoming an employee for a short while at a guitar place just so i can buy lots of stuff at a discount until they find out how i am a total dilettant and fire me in the end.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2021, 08:54:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i thought about becoming an employee for a short while at a guitar place just so i can buy lots of stuff at a discount until they find out how i am a total dilettant and fire me in the end.

The discount was quite nice. I regret not milking it a bit more since the pay was so shit, I'm better off just buying stuff at full price working a better job haha.

But still, 80 dollar Mogami cables for 10 bucks is hard to beat.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2021, 09:12:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gibson SG style is my favorite looking guitar!  Very nice and great color!

I am primarily a classical player (nylon string) but when I had an electric I used a Line 6 amp.  A whole bunch of effects preset and you can easily dial in custom effects.
What I’m going to do is an old technique buy an epiphone and upgrade your parts to a Gibson.
Dueces Bitch's

dofrenzy

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »

What I’m going to do is an old technique buy an epiphone and upgrade your parts to a Gibson.

Never heard of that but damn what a good idea!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2021, 11:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
I've got a sunburst mexi fat strat HHS with a sweet neck, but kinda don't dig the humbucker
[close]

I have a HHS Mexican strat and I love it. I changed the stock for a Seymour Duncan Black Winter, and had a luthier set the nut up for a heavier gauge string, GHS TNT Boomers. I love the humbucker, but in like to play lots of thrash metal/metal style stuff. I like those thick gauge string for fast picking and palm muting.

Ya, its great for that sorta playing. I'm not sure what the humbucker is, but its not stock. I got it at a pawn shop in 2019 for $275, so it was a screaming deal, and price was a big factor in the purchase. When I played punk/hardcore growing up, I wanted an HHS really badly. Now, eh, not so much. I took the pick guard off and was going to swap the humbucker but my tinnitus was flaring and I decided to put down the electric for a while.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »

My main guitar is this Fender Mustang, but I still need to get it fixed. I believe something is messed up with the input jack, but otherwise, it's a fantastic playing guitar, and holds tune surprisingly well. The squier duo sonic is my backup, but I might sell it in the near future, as I don't really play it unless the mustang isn't working (right now), or if I want to play in another tuning (Mustang's trem bridge doesn't like anything other than standard tuning). Iv'e also got a Yamaha Revstar which really doesn't get played much either. I usually keep it in open D. Decent cheap guitar, sounds great but could used a set up to get it playing better. For amps I got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for loud and a Yamaha THR for quiet.

Currently, my gear is all put away except for my acoustic right now due to house renovations. Only thing I could grab easily was my pedals, which I've got a bit of a thing for. The three at the end of the chain pretty much always stay the same, but I swap the drives and fuzzes in an out for what I want to play.
From the top right on the pedalboard: Orange Fur Coat fuzz, DOD 250 overdrive, ZOOM MS50G, DOD Rubberneck delay, TC Pipeline tremolo.
Bottom starting from the right: ZVEX Mastotron fuzz, Animals Pedal Vintage Van overdrive, Animals Rover fuzz, DOD Carcosa fuzz, EHX Tone Wicker Big Muff fuzz, EHX EDDY chorus/vibrato, Digitech Jamman looper, Digitech SDRUM drum machine.

Happy to talk about any of these bad boys.

EDIT: my dad started learning a few years after me and wants to start jamming some songs. He plays one of those Ovation acoustic/electrics with the weird plastic body. I've been trying to think of songs that will work well with an acoustic and an electric guitar. Bowie's "Queen Bitch" is on my list for us to learn, but I still need some practice. Neither of really play leads, but he's actually really good at chord arpeggios, so I think the mix of the two sounds and styles could be interesting. Any song suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 01:38:33 PM by JB »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2022, 02:05:30 PM »
Plugged my old seafoam green Chinese Squier Strat into my even older Fender JAM amp after not playing in years.  Got nothing but static.  The output jack was loose as hell so I took it out and noticed the ground wire was snapped off.  So I bought a cheap soldering iron and ratchet screwdriver from Walmart and got it fixed up. 

Still wasn’t connecting because the inside of the amp jack was all loose inside.  Tried to take that apart but the way it was encased was beyond my skill level, and I wasn’t paying a repair guy.  Got the amp for free so not worried about it.  Went on the classifieds and found a little Ashbury practice amp for $25.

I’ll prob lose interest in playing again pretty quick, but good to have working gear again.  If anyone’s got good YouTube channels to follow or videos for beginners I’d be interested.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2022, 09:04:10 AM »
new bass -- sandberg california vm5, i fucking love this thing. traded in my american deluxe jazz towards it. also if anyone has a bass they ain't fucking with and rather have a MIM Fender Telecaster (~2005 i think) hit me up. i rather have another bass than a guitar i never use.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:06:29 AM by ungzilla »

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2022, 10:28:22 AM »
They're probably generations apart, but my Mustang came brand new with super sloppy wiring. Not knowing a thing about it, I borrowed a soldiering iron and just re soldiered the wires and they've been solid for at least 15 years now. Dumb question, but is there a better way to keep my trem bar from falling out other than wrapping it with a piece of tape I peeled off a stage floor a decade ago?

My main guitar is this Fender Mustang, but I still need to get it fixed. I believe something is messed up with the input jack, but otherwise, it's a fantastic playing guitar, and holds tune surprisingly well. The squier duo sonic is my backup, but I might sell it in the near future, as I don't really play it unless the mustang isn't working (right now), or if I want to play in another tuning (Mustang's trem bridge doesn't like anything other than standard tuning). Iv'e also got a Yamaha Revstar which really doesn't get played much either. I usually keep it in open D. Decent cheap guitar, sounds great but could used a set up to get it playing better. For amps I got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for loud and a Yamaha THR for quiet.

Currently, my gear is all put away except for my acoustic right now due to house renovations. Only thing I could grab easily was my pedals, which I've got a bit of a thing for. The three at the end of the chain pretty much always stay the same, but I swap the drives and fuzzes in an out for what I want to play.
From the top right on the pedalboard: Orange Fur Coat fuzz, DOD 250 overdrive, ZOOM MS50G, DOD Rubberneck delay, TC Pipeline tremolo.
Bottom starting from the right: ZVEX Mastotron fuzz, Animals Pedal Vintage Van overdrive, Animals Rover fuzz, DOD Carcosa fuzz, EHX Tone Wicker Big Muff fuzz, EHX EDDY chorus/vibrato, Digitech Jamman looper, Digitech SDRUM drum machine.

EDIT: my dad started learning a few years after me and wants to start jamming some songs. He plays one of those Ovation acoustic/electrics with the weird plastic body. I've been trying to think of songs that will work well with an acoustic and an electric guitar. Bowie's "Queen Bitch" is on my list for us to learn, but I still need some practice. Neither of really play leads, but he's actually really good at chord arpeggios, so I think the mix of the two sounds and styles could be interesting. Any song suggestions you guys have would be appreciated.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2022, 10:55:59 AM »
They're probably generations apart, but my Mustang came brand new with super sloppy wiring. Not knowing a thing about it, I borrowed a soldiering iron and just re soldiered the wires and they've been solid for at least 15 years now. Dumb question, but is there a better way to keep my trem bar from falling out other than wrapping it with a piece of tape I peeled off a stage floor a decade ago?

Expand Quote

[close]

Tightening the allen key to the right of the trem arm. Then some loc-tite on the little screw that holds it in the bar. Hard to beat some good tape action though. Haven’t touched one of those ponies in awhile.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2022, 05:39:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Tightening the allen key to the right of the trem arm. Then some loc-tite on the little screw that holds it in the bar. Hard to beat some good tape action though. Haven’t touched one of those ponies in awhile.

^ This is probably technically correct, but I can say, with my whole heart, no, there is no better way to keep your wangbar secured than a scuzzy old piece of tape off the stage floor.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »
Somehow that mustang just fixed itself. Haven't had any issues in months.

Solid my duo sonic and bought another fender 'stang with P90s. Thing smokes.

Also finally gave the old EHX hot tubes a shot and that thing totally rips. Super underrated for like $70 new. Anyone looking for a good touch sensitive overdrive, don't waste your money on expensive boutique shit, just get the hot tubes.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »
been all over the Taylor 210ce. feels real nice. picked up a Baby Taylor via CL for $200. had a crack in the back and the lady I bought it from gave me a $100 back. All it needs is some wood glue... either way, it's a sick little travel guitar for the vehicle

singing and picking has finally been making sense. it's a form of syncopation or something. singing different rhythm than I'm strumming/picking.

I've also been messing around with claw picking for a while now and it's fun as heck

artskool

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2022, 07:40:20 AM »
Fingerpicking God. Impossible to learn from though, she played a right handed guitar upside-down and left-handed her whole life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUK8emiWabU

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2022, 08:00:00 AM »
been really stoked on alex chilton's strat tone lately

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2022, 08:23:05 AM »
My wife bought me a Positive Grid Spark desktop amp for Xmas.

It’s pretty cool although you can easily waste more time fiddling with settings than playing if you’re not careful. Doesn’t sound quite as good as the Yamaha THR (especially at quiet levels) but it was $100 cheaper. Some of the user generated presets are good, some less so. Somehow doesn’t have a spring reverb effect so you need to use a mix of delay and hall reverb.

I mainly use headphones so I suppose I could have just bought an app to do the same thing but it’s easy to pop it on for 5 minutes here and there rather than warming up a tube amp.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2022, 09:05:22 AM »
Fingerpicking God. Impossible to learn from though, she played a right handed guitar upside-down and left-handed her whole life.

so good.

watched a howlin wolf documentary film last week and noticed some other players using an inverted right hand guitar as well. Jimi did it too. workin with what ya have like that is bad ass

artskool

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »
She's playing it still strung like a righty, that's the crazy thing. Post a link to that Howlin Wolf doc!

Expand Quote

[close]

so good.

watched a howlin wolf documentary film last week and noticed some other players using an inverted right hand guitar as well. Jimi did it too. workin with what ya have like that is bad ass