Author Topic: are bones red the same as cheap chinese bearings?  (Read 984 times)

OldCandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
are bones red the same as cheap chinese bearings?
« on: July 18, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
https://www.amazon.ca/Roulements-rouleaux-pour-skate-skateboards/dp/B07SLRDL91/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=skate%2Bbearings&qid=1595098305&sr=8-35&th=1

are there any real differences between bones reds and generic deep groove bearings (rubber shields)? Or is it all marketing/hype. Has anyone tried using generic "skate"/"impact" bearings with deep groves - lubing them up and breaking them in. How much worse are they compared to reds?

Thanks  :P
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
Re: are bones red the same as cheap chinese bearings?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »
They are the same price as reds, which are already lubed with speed cream. Why bother with these?
No.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 03:50:39 PM »
I trust Powell more than I trust whatever this is.....

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 04:15:43 PM »
I don't trust any bearing that still uses the ABEC rating system (looking at you, Andale).

Just stick with Bones Reds. Bones Swiss if you have the money. It's not marketing hype, Bones are the most used bearing because they work and don't market bullshit (Bronson pro colorway bearings, Andale notebooks and food shaped wax, Cortina fancy tin packaging and alternate colored rubber shields, etc)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 04:29:43 PM »
Shake Junt ABEC 7s are actually good. Like surprisingly.

At this point Ándale is trash and regret every time I fall for the colorway gimmick.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 05:43:07 PM »
As with a mass manufactured things in China, there are different grades of products. There are probably 1000s of bearings manufacturers but only a small handful of them produce them reliably. The Bones branding is them doing the legwork for you and finding out which of the 1000s of manufacturers are worth buying bearings from, you are buying peace of mind and a return policy.

There are definitely bearing manufacturers who make a quality product but it will be on your dollar and dime to suss them out. Cash aside, think about the time you spend waiting for the product, testing it and returning it if it's faulty. Is it worth the couple of dollars of saving?

If I was building a setup for a kid who wanted to try skateboarding and these were readily available then yeah I would order them. But I would pay for the peace of mind of Bones bearings.

Also Bronson bearings are dogshit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 06:51:23 PM »
idk ask vern

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
There's definitely a difference between reds and some cheap chinese bearings, although reds are actually cheap chinese bearings themselves. There's also really good cheap chinese bearings that very well may have come off the same production line. It's kind of a crapshoot - you might get a comparable or even better bearing at half the price or you may have to buy new bearings 10 times in the lifespan of a set of reds. The only way to find out is to order them.

That being said, there's an absolute shit ton of counterfeit bones on the market right now so if you're buying online then there's a very good chance you're getting ones made by someone other than skateone anyways. Buy them from a local shop or a reputable seller and not random ebay or mercari auctions.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 06:26:14 AM »
As with a mass manufactured things in China, there are different grades of products. There are probably 1000s of bearings manufacturers but only a small handful of them produce them reliably. The Bones branding is them doing the legwork for you and finding out which of the 1000s of manufacturers are worth buying bearings from, you are buying peace of mind and a return policy.

There are definitely bearing manufacturers who make a quality product but it will be on your dollar and dime to suss them out. Cash aside, think about the time you spend waiting for the product, testing it and returning it if it's faulty. Is it worth the couple of dollars of saving?

If I was building a setup for a kid who wanted to try skateboarding and these were readily available then yeah I would order them. But I would pay for the peace of mind of Bones bearings.

Also Bronson bearings are dogshit.
Amen brotha
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
Yes, bones reds are cheap Chinese bearings.  BUT cheap Chinese products are generally pretty good - or can be if good Quality Control is applied.  So what you’re paying for is more stops to the assembly  line, more rejected product, better quality steel, that sort of thing.  Does it make them faster? No, it just makes them less prone to corrosion and failure.  It’s an odds thing.  You can prob get 10 sets of cheap knockoffs and only one or two goes bad in a week.  But for me, it’s worth $20 once a year to make sure that (almost) never happens.