Author Topic: 360 Flips  (Read 17562 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: 360 Flips
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
I just can never tell with this trick.

Regular 8.25 setup - 40 tries and I'll land 1 janky one

First time on an 8.5 (almost egg shape) setup - 2 tries and I roll away

Egg ish boards scoop a bit better. I know this is a little but uncommon but I tend to tre a bit better on longer wider boards too, am tall with long legs so it helps me not overspin/flip.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's so frustrating. For me, it's all about the first 5-6 tries. After that, the flick just gets progressively worse.

What's so hard is I know people can do them so easily, it seems like it takes no effort at all, just a little scoop and pop. Meanwhile I need to focus my entire body to maybe get one around and I don't understand why!!

Its about having the correct weight distribution, and coordinating the scoop/flick with the jump. If all those pieces line up, it really doesn't take much more effort than a pop shuvit besides maybe staying in the air for a moment longer.

I'm at a similar point with sw tres. Most attempts feel like they take so much effort and don't work too well. But the ones I do land well feel pretty chill, like I didn't have to try that hard. Probably due to me having the exact right configuration/technique.

I know thats not too helpful because its vague, but know that there's a certain feeling to strive for when you practice them where it doesn't feel like too heavy of a trick
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:07:23 PM by tzhangdox »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2022, 11:58:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

It's so frustrating. For me, it's all about the first 5-6 tries. After that, the flick just gets progressively worse.

What's so hard is I know people can do them so easily, it seems like it takes no effort at all, just a little scoop and pop. Meanwhile I need to focus my entire body to maybe get one around and I don't understand why!!
[close]

Its about having the correct weight distribution, and coordinating the scoop/flick with the jump. If all those pieces line up, it really doesn't take much effort that a pop shuvit besides maybe staying in the air for a moment longer.

I'm at a similar point with sw tres. Most attempts feel like they take so much effort and don't work too well. But the ones I do land well feel pretty chill, like I didn't have to try that hard. Probably due to me having the exact right configuration/technique.

I know thats not too helpful because its vague, but know that there's a certain feeling to strive for when you practice them where it doesn't feel like too heavy of a trick

Yeah, that does make sense. I haven't figured out that point yet. I think I need to start fresh and sort of relearn them, they way I do them now the flick is really consistent but I don't get my front foot around for the catch, the board stays behind me.

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2022, 01:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Its about having the correct weight distribution, and coordinating the scoop/flick with the jump. If all those pieces line up, it really doesn't take much effort that a pop shuvit besides maybe staying in the air for a moment longer.

[close]

Yeah, that does make sense. I haven't figured out that point yet. I think I need to start fresh and sort of relearn them, they way I do them now the flick is really consistent but I don't get my front foot around for the catch, the board stays behind me.
Have weight over the back (tail) a bit more before pop.

As for that feeling of it taking your whole body to get the board around, I recently had the epiphany of detaching the bottom half of my body from my top half for scoop tricks. Try to keep the top half as still as possible and don't let your legs determine the trajectory of your entire body. I find landing a lot more stable when I keep this in mind.

Fhk

« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2022, 02:55:01 PM »
Eggs definitely make for the easiest most consistent sexy tres without question

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2022, 08:13:22 AM »

I guess I ride Heroin decks exclusively now
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fhk

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2022, 06:51:40 AM »
Quote from: rocklobster link=topic=113601.msg3833701#msg3833701  date=1658848402
Expand Quote
[close]

I guess I ride Heroin decks exclusively now
Lots of room to land too. I’m on the 9.25 rn and am enjoying the lack of toe/heel drag

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2022, 07:50:02 AM »
This trick definitely deserves it's on thread, I'll start it off by inserting the tips which silhouette shared in "Basic Ass Tricks Which Piss You Off" which addresses the most common issues (jumping way ahead of the board, catching on the nose):

Expand Quote
Also for those struggling with 360 flips, yesterday at the park I taught two kids how to land their first ones, they had that typical problem of being hunched over the nose so the board would stay behind them. By breaking down the correct posture and alignment for them I realized a good indicator that I've always subconsciously used but never really defined that helped them get their landings instantly, basically before you pop you need to be sitting just as far back (and with a straight back) as so that the knee on your front leg is past your face. Looking straight down your face and vision should be focused on your thigh and nothing past your knee. If you're seeing anything past your knee then the board probably won't go in front of you because you're too hunched over. That fixes your position in a way so that your center of gravity is properly adjusted to the motions of the trick and you can basically just sit through the execution as the board stays under you while flipping (as long as you don't do anything funny with your shoulders and keep them square). I guess the same stands for impossibles as well although I've always just done the latter without overthinking its execution nearly as much.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Doing them recently I realized I was doing them in three mental steps, first mental step is to make sure my front foot is properly nested flat inside the concave at the right angle with the right spot over the center of the board (finding that sweet spot ensures that you won't miss the flick), second step is to make sure the big toe on my back foot comes hugging the tail the right way, third step is locking the shoulders and hips in position to make sure I won't try and body varial away from the trick and the board will stay under me, and if the feeling is right throughout those three steps then I commit for certain because then I know I'm in control of what's going to happen and thus nothing can really go wrong.
[close]

IG clip of Ben Degros showing the old school (tougher, more forceful) and new school (easier, more graceful) foot positioning
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAal3TElcvZ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Been landing at least 1 a session these days, somehow on an 8.5 they are starting to click for me.

Like savant @silhouette mentioned:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Switch pop shove is all in the big toe, if you lodge it in the right place of the tail (usually covering the tip but with the ball of the foot mostly resting inside) it will ensure the board will stay flat as it's a 'neutral' part that will rebound, that's how and why done right those can look like they barely ever leave your feet, usually I just think Jan Kliewer or Alex Carolino or most people from the Lordz/Square era really for a reference (it's also one of those tricks where you mostly face backwards, like switch ollies, otherwise it can be tempting to turn frontside unless you lock your upper body in place). Key to good front shove is try and eliminate all scoop, just pop straight down (again from the right spot on the tail so it doesn't start flipping) and watch the bolts come around. With that technique though just doing one frontside pressure flip once will fuck me up on them for days.
[close]

Can you elaborate a bit on that front shuv tip?

Front shuvs are sort of a monkey's paw trick for me where I can do them every try, but I hate how I do them. I do the the kind where you sorta jump backwards and I've tried every foot placement to prevent it.
[close]

Yeah, basically the logic is similar to what I was describing with the switch pop shove, just reversed, in both cases you want the center of the tail to hit the ground in an explosive manner (doesn't have to be strong pop - although that works too - but has to be sudden and fierce). On all shoves, if the board is (barely noticeably) off axis as the tail hits the ground because your foot positioning was applying pressure over incorrect spots, basically that's when the board starts flipping. For optimal technique and good control you want to think 'modified ollie' on those tricks and form them on your way up then catch them which is the only thing the front foot really has to do, which means you can drive pretty much all the force you put into the trick into completely vertical pop just from being set up right. A lot of the scoop is purely stylistic and optional if you want it to be (unless you're doing non-popped shoves), ties back into how I was saying pop shoves can feel like ollies when they don't leave your feet.

I had to dig deep for that one, but I found some I filmed for a shop Instagram back in 2016 with that technique, may be a better visualization:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI8tLbWjSGo/
[close]

Very interesting. I've never heard it explained in those terms but that makes perfect sense. Definitely gonna go experiment with this.

You have quite a way with words when it comes to tricks!
[close]

To reiterate and add to what Silhouette wrote...

The whole trick is the force you apply with your back foot. Your front foot is simply there to catch it.
As a result it helps me imagine that my back foot is pushing / passing the board to my front foot.

When I do them regular the pop is snappier so the board rotates quicker and goes higher.

When I do them switch the pop is heavier so the board rotates slower and lower... but it looks like a more effortless trick

The thing to note with both ways is the pop and the body is a straight up and down motion like Silhouette said.
[close]

I like this analogy. I'm very excited to try this. I always did them with my back foot, but I always scooped real hard not considering his point about the board being off axis.

Started to think of 360 flips as the back foot passing the deck to the front foot, with a flip in between.

Couple of other things I focused on:
1) Jumping up instead of forward
2) Shoulders AND hips pointing straight, aligned with the rails of the deck
3) Head centered, not dipping past your toes

I still struggle with just scooping and catching with the front foot with the back foot stepping off to practice the front foot placement. Feels more like a 360 shove with a pressure flip like whythetrick does but I landed bolts and rolled away, I won't be picky for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEG5FZG--o&ab_channel=whythetrick
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2022, 10:58:21 AM »
Well, I'm still struggling with them but I've had a bit of a lightbulb moment with them recently.  Someone mentioned it in passing here, but setting up like I would for a properly popped and caught pop-shuv but with different foot placement has corrected my weight distribution before I pop and the deck is no longer landing behind me or anywhere else but where it should be.  I'm over-rotating the 360 part now, so I need to chill with the back foot motion and I'll be there.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2022, 07:23:50 AM »
No matter what I do, they end up as a big varial flip.

as in higher but not the 360 spin.

I'm scooping as hard as I can but the flick seems to slow rotation and it only does a half
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2022, 07:40:51 AM »
I feel I am getting close, but then again I‘ve been feeling this for six months but never landed one.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2022, 08:57:22 AM »
No matter what I do, they end up as a big varial flip.

as in higher but not the 360 spin.

I'm scooping as hard as I can but the flick seems to slow rotation and it only does a half

I remember I had that exact problem when first figuring them out as a kid (no one was doing them to teach me at the time where I lived), it was because in my brain the approach was to take something I was familiar with (varial flips) and rely on the same method but harder. That won't work (if anything if you got anything out of that technique then it would most likely be a 360 double flip), but as soon as I started prioritizing the 360 part despite being way less familiar with 360 shoves and basically completely neglecting the kickflip part is when the actual logic for them clicked and they started working. You want to focus on the 360 for now even if that means disregarding the flip. Then when you can form that and have the board fully come around underneath your feet (landing on half a flip with both feet is better and closer than 'landing' on a full flip with just one foot) you can try and refine the motion into a flip by interfering with the front foot at the right place and time.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »
I feel I am getting close, but then again I‘ve been feeling this for six months but never landed one.

You'll get it man, just give it a few solid attempts every session and don't wreck yourself.

I never had this trick on lock but last session I did 2 in 10 tries, 1 with a tick tack roll away and the other caught 1/2 bolts. 1 of the park regulars mentioned front foot position being influenced by the type of scooper you are.

Hard scooper - front foot further back, you'll get both feet catching the board at the same time, you'll need to jump ahead of your deck to catch it
Gentle scooper - front foot further front, you'll get the front foot yo-flip catch, jump upwards to catch your deck

Head and shoulder aligned with the deck
Head over the deck
Jump up not forward
Think of it as passing your back foot to front foot

Bless this thread!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2022, 06:27:24 AM »
Well I wanted to implement these new strategies last night but after landing 1 kickflip out of 30 I decided to postpone my training regiment.

What you are saying about the body alignment and foot position makes sense, I think I am flinging it to far down and doing a giant pop shuv/varial.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

switchfakie

« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2022, 06:06:27 PM »
Hey guys, I just got my 3 flips back, but the weird thing about them now is that they make absolutely no sound when I pop the trick. Am I even popping it or is this the mythical “ghost” pop I’ve only read about? Is it canonically even a 3 flip or am I accidentally doing some sort of pressure 3 flip?

dirty_nuggets

• Rep: 1
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2022, 02:15:07 PM »
Hi - for background, I'm a 37 year old dude who skated a lot in my teens until early 20s, took about 10 years off while I worked in construction, shifted careers and found myself getting back into skating casually for 4-5 years, and in the last couple years skating consistently.  I made a goal to learn 360 flips while my body can still take the abuse required to get them.  Landed one fairly early on, then decided I wanted to get them consistent and get a good one on film.  This took me almost 2 years - I took so many slams and injuries along the way, plus I live in Canada so winters took time off.  The discussion on this thread definitely helped a lot - most the main helpful points have been reiterated several times but I have a few things I figured I'd add.  Just last week I finally got a clean one on film (will post link below), so this is all still very fresh in my mind.

-Firstly, it's worth mentioning that one might want to play around with the tightness of their trucks.  I am embarrassed to admit I tend to ride rather tight trucks (embarrassed because in my opinion it requires more skill to harness loose trucks), have been slowly loosening them over the past couple years.  The day that I recently got the clean land, I was getting super close but not quite sticking it.  Went over to my tool, loosened the back truck a half turn, and then cranked one out right after.  My theory is that since my trucks were too tight, I was struggling to get the board to turn that 90 degrees you want it to turn before it pops off the ground.  There's a real fine line of balance you need to achieve to get that spring and scoop just right off the back foot, and adjusting the trucks definitely helped me.

-As others have noted, you have to lean back more than one might expect.  For me, in order to land this trick, I have to lean back to the point that it feels extremely awkward and unnatural.  When reviewing my footage of attempts, I was frustrated to see that there were tons of times where the board popped nicely, spun around perfectly, and my front foot caught it - but my back foot just hung out and didn't commit.  In hindsight, the reason that happened was because I FELT like I was leaning so far back that the board was just going to fling out in front of me so my body didn't bother trying to commit to the trick.  The times I was committing were when I "felt" straight up and down, but in fact was leaning too far forward (often craning my head and neck forward), and was often landing but at goofy angles that often led to the board shooting out and smashing me into the ground extremely violently.  I messed up my back, ankles, and wrists many times due to this.  The only way this trick works for me is if I'm leaning almost comically far backwards, which feels very uncomfortable.  Maybe I just have weak ankles or something that aren't comfortable with the level of pressure that needs to be built in that back ankle for the pop and scoop.  So really pay attention to the position of your head, even if you think you're straight up and down, I've noticed many people will crane their head forward and this robs of you of the ability to generate the proper momentum.

-The way I was able to figure out how to control my posture and proper level of leaning back was to closely watch where my hands end up when I crouch down.  I also have a tendency for my front shoulder to be too open for this trick. so I make sure my front hand is hovering directly over the middle of the board (side to side-wise), roughly around the bolts (front to back-wise).  One major game changer for me was to also monitor my back hand - for me, it needs to be hugging my back knee, almost elbow nested on top of knee.  The hand ends up above my back foot, and I try to make sure my back hand is slightly closer to the earth than my front hand (this will help ensure my weight is more to the back when popping, which allows me to jump straight up rather than up and forward, and also ensure more weight on that back foot during the split second of pop/scoop).

-Since I'm a hardheaded individual who often tries to do things more through brute strength than finesse, I also tend to try to use my leg muscle power to aggressively jam the tail into a scoop.  Watching people who are good at this trick though, they don't seem to put such an insane amount of effort into the scoop like that.  And when you do that, it makes it difficult to even fathom jumping back on the board after, because your foot ends up flying back super quick and aggressively and it's difficult to control it enough to bring it up to your chest and back to the board.  One of the secrets of this tricks seems to be developing the timing of shifting weight right at the pop, making sure that there is so much tension and pressure on that back foot that when you jump, the release of your body from the board is enough in and of itself to spring the board into a 360 flip motion.  Of course you have to make a conscious effort to do the scoop, but I imagine like me, other people are focusing too much on SLAMMING that scoop and not enough on the subtleties of weight distribution at the exact moment of the pop and jump.  Anyway, the scoop is more about pressure than power or force.

Seems to me that unless you possess natural talent (which I certainly do not, every trick seems to take me 10x longer to learn than people who are actually good at skateboarding), you really just have to put in the time to consistently train your muscles to get used to this trick.  There's a very specific way your back ankle needs to articulate to facilitate the scoop, and in that moment there is a lot of pressure on it too.

In October of last year, I was sooo close to landing this but couldn't get it, and I spazzed out one day at the park and just threw my board around then gave it away to some kid.  I was ready to give up on my dreams of landing a tre flip.  But it kept bugging me, I couldn't let it go.  Bought a new setup this spring (actually bought like 4 boards to try different shapes) and made sacrifices in other areas of my life to make sure I could get this.  Just trying to provide some motivation for anyone else who may be at a similar stage to me.  This was definitely a "bucket list" item for me and even if I don't end up getting them consistent, at least I got one nice one on film.  It's not perfect (I caught with both feet at once instead of front foot, my balance is a bit off on landing) but my feet are close to bolts and I rode away smooth. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN3LXbvujfU

Check out my older videos too to see my progression.  Thanks for reading, hope this helps someone even a tiny amount!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2022, 07:14:37 AM »
Anyone have tips for adjusting to 360 flips on a longer board? I normally skate 14.38 and 32 long, broke that and have 14.5 and 32.1. Kick steepness and concave are the same but the kicks are a bit more tapered. Just can't quite get them down and went from high consistency to low. It's been fun to figure out how to adjust tricks and I know not everything will be the same but I'd like to figure it out and have more versatility in setups.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2022, 06:23:26 AM »
Anyone have tips for adjusting to 360 flips on a longer board? I normally skate 14.38 and 32 long, broke that and have 14.5 and 32.1. Kick steepness and concave are the same but the kicks are a bit more tapered. Just can't quite get them down and went from high consistency to low. It's been fun to figure out how to adjust tricks and I know not everything will be the same but I'd like to figure it out and have more versatility in setups.
Front foot position more towards the middle helped me coming from an 31.75 long 14.25 wb board to a 32 long 14.38 wb. But they never been the same on the longer one.
I normally 360 flip first to second try on flat.
With the longer board and different front foot position I maybe landed 5 of 10 or so. And it made me more tired to.
Edit. I mean my front foot position further back.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 06:35:51 AM by vicious cycle »
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2022, 09:35:51 PM »
Trying them today I ended up foot further forward actually. My logic was since it's a scooping trick I want my weight on my rear foot obviously, but moving it further back got it too far from the front wheels and messed up my weighting on the tail.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2022, 08:03:58 AM »
Took me a long time (almost 2 years to the birth of the thread) but I'm finally getting the hang of 360 flips. Meet a regular at the local park who has them on lock and was the first one capable of explaining the physics of it.

If your hips and shoulders are parallel with the board, your feet can be anywhere you're most comfortable but the weight distribution over your toes has to be diagonal across the deck from your scooping foot and your front foot. The weight distribution gets the board to flip automatically, and you adjust the scooping foot position from there to get more or less rotation.

Next most important thing is to just focus on jumping upwards, not forwards or diagonal, just upwards.

I coupled that with @silhouette's "passing the board from back to front foot" mindset and the catch came naturally.

Last thing he mentioned was catching with the trailing back foot (Felipe Gustavo / dog pisser style) is about catching it with the front foot and pulling it back under you. I always thought it was a very hard scoop and jump forward to catch it.

Landed more in today's session than I have in my entire life, first one within 2 tries too. Consistency tanked as the session wore on, I'm still doing them the pre-2010s style (very forceful) but I was catching them bolts on 1/2 the attempts.

To everyone struggling with this trick - this coveted trick is within reach!

Edit: I sized up from a 8.25 to 8.5 but I doubt that helped with the trick, figuring out the weight distribution for the scoop and was the game changer for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2022, 12:47:03 PM »
Next most important thing is to just focus on jumping upwards, not forwards or diagonal, just upwards.

I coupled that with @silhouette's "passing the board from back to front foot" mindset and the catch came naturally.

I’ve really been working on these lately and this makes so much sense to me. I can’t wait to put these into practice.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2022, 12:03:16 PM »
I was gifted some 46mm wheels, which I put on because they seemed like fun. Now maybe this is because I learned to tre flip on a 7.5" deck with ~46mm wheels, but if you're looking for a cheat code, this is as close a thing as I have found.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2022, 07:34:12 PM »
Some observations on the front foot:

1) Having it more pointy helps with the flip. Having it close to the back foot results in a faster & easier rotation but result in catching it on the nose.

2) As much as this trick is "all" back foot, you need some pressure on the front foot for the flip and to control the catch. Focusing too much on the back foot usually results in squirrel-y landings.

3) In a last post I mentioned my head being over the back truck, but I was finding better success having it almost square beneath my feet for an even weight distribution (see #2).

I was gifted some 46mm wheels, which I put on because they seemed like fun. Now maybe this is because I learned to tre flip on a 7.5" deck with ~46mm wheels, but if you're looking for a cheat code, this is as close a thing as I have found.

I've yet to try lower trucks and smaller wheels on 360 flips, I got a pair of Ace 44 Low as my next truck and I'm sure I'll struggle on them. Cranking down a bit more on the rear truck really helps with a solid pop / scoop, that's the 1 occasion where I'd ride my trucks a little tighter.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

switchfakie

« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2022, 02:19:10 PM »
my advice

1) pressure all in back foot toes

2) you really need to lean into the toes hard & jump forward

3) scoop down (to get the pop) and scoop inwards towards your front foot  (it pushes the board forward so you dont land on your nose)

4) tight back trucks make it a lot easier

5) make sure youre not leaning any direction when you jump, you need to jump straight upwards

6) perch your back foot so that the only thing contacting your board is the ball of your back foot & your toes which are wrapped around the tail as much as your shoe will allow

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2022, 02:24:15 PM »
my advice

3) scoop down (to get the pop) and scoop inwards towards your front foot  (it pushes the board forward so you dont land on your nose)

5) make sure youre not leaning any direction when you jump, you need to jump straight upwards

6) perch your back foot so that the only thing contacting your board is the ball of your back foot & your toes which are wrapped around the tail as much as your shoe will allow

Wait, where do I jump?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2022, 07:32:21 PM »
Ideally you want to jump straight up - the more forward you scoop your board, the more it will stay under you and you will just need to jump vertically upwards to catch the board.

I've noticed on the attempts where I'm jumping far ahead of my board it's because of how I've distributed by body weight for the scoop. I focus too much of scooping the board behind me, and that naturally causes me to want to jump forward and away from my board.

Been playing around with some weight on the front foot, still diagonal but I make sure the weight is plated across the entire foot. That helps with giving it height and catch, focusing all my weight on the back foot results in a faux-Impossible and I land with my feet together like a bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7zNGLgqMs0

I've tried keeping my feet close together like this guy does, it results in a fast rotating 360 flip but I can never catch it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2022, 04:08:30 PM »
Took me a long time (almost 2 years to the birth of the thread) but I'm finally getting the hang of 360 flips. Meet a regular at the local park who has them on lock and was the first one capable of explaining the physics of it.

If your hips and shoulders are parallel with the board, your feet can be anywhere you're most comfortable but the weight distribution over your toes has to be diagonal across the deck from your scooping foot and your front foot. The weight distribution gets the board to flip automatically, and you adjust the scooping foot position from there to get more or less rotation.

Last thing he mentioned was catching with the trailing back foot (Felipe Gustavo / dog pisser style) is about catching it with the front foot and pulling it back under you. I always thought it was a very hard scoop and jump forward to catch it.

Landed more in today's session than I have in my entire life, first one within 2 tries too. Consistency tanked as the session wore on, I'm still doing them the pre-2010s style (very forceful) but I was catching them bolts on 1/2 the attempts.

Edit: I sized up from a 8.25 to 8.5 but I doubt that helped with the trick, figuring out the weight distribution for the scoop and was the game changer for me.

i read this like a week or two ago and did a bunch that day, and have done a bunch since.

i could always do them if i tried, but not super consistent as a forward moving flatground trick. to fakie on a bank or quarter easily, and doing them fakie on flat also no worries. i feel like it's 1OO% the shoulders/hips that make a difference for me. it feels super awkward to hold myself like that for a regular flatground 36O flip still at this point, i guess from 2O or so years of being more forward facing, but it works. i realise when i do them in those other contexts that's how my shoulders are. so yeah, shoulders shoulders shoulders!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2022, 07:07:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i read this like a week or two ago and did a bunch that day, and have done a bunch since.

i could always do them if i tried, but not super consistent as a forward moving flatground trick. to fakie on a bank or quarter easily, and doing them fakie on flat also no worries. i feel like it's 1OO% the shoulders/hips that make a difference for me. it feels super awkward to hold myself like that for a regular flatground 36O flip still at this point, i guess from 2O or so years of being more forward facing, but it works. i realise when i do them in those other contexts that's how my shoulders are. so yeah, shoulders shoulders shoulders!

Props dude, I'm consistent at having 1-2 per session, and that's good enough for me after not landing them in 20 years.

Edit: shoulders parallel with the board + not dipping your head + scooping forward + some pressure on the front foot is the ticket for me, rolled away with 8-10 of them over the course of 4 hours, having a smooth floor really helps too
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 01:39:37 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

switchfakie

« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2022, 02:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote
my advice

[close]

Wait, where do I jump?

my bad, jump upwards

switchfakie

« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2022, 02:20:08 AM »
its weird because you do jump slightly forward, but mainly upwards

i included #5 because i didnt want to give the impression that you're jumping 2-4 feet towards your toe side. youre really jumping only ~1ft forward to side, but when you're doing it, it most definitely feels like youre jumping straight upward & in your head, you want to be thinking that you're jumping straight up

when you treflip, your board will always move further forward toe side, this is because of the pressure from your back foot's toes