Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24553 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
The 90s really were the golden age of hip-hop (maybe also not that controversial but could be seen as an old-fashioned take).
This right here is what I'm talking about the self aware boom bap hiphop was the best and the pinnacle of the genre there's so much good rap that wasn't on anyone's radar during that time even afterwards.  I'd say 2000's here's a good example Lost Children of Babylon Immortal Technique come to mind and I miss rap/hiphop that had a real message and rad storytelling that put you in their world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHd0zBJ6ig
Dueces Bitch's

doublesteveburger

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2020, 12:54:03 PM »
Expand Quote
rancid sucks (and the Clash sucked too) is a name of anal cunt song right? LOL

Yes about modern "hip hop". I think everything Kanye has ever done is corny is AF and don't even get me started on mumble rap...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I believe I’ve mentioned this beforehand but most band’s best albums are their first three.

Not to say that there’s exceptions to this opinion as I can say without a doubt AJJ, Nofx, Bad Religion, and few others I cannot remember definitely get better with age.
[close]

I love NOFX but their first two records are practically unlistenable to me, haha. I think Ribbed is pretty good though.
[close]
No doubt  Liberal Animation & S&M airline's were terrible albums I think Ribbed was rad too but it wasn't their definitive sound but close just a lineup change they made it awesome.

When El Hefe joined in White trash two herbs and a bean that's what I think about when someone says NOFX. 

Now as far as their album that is their smartest album was The Decline and War on Errorism were the pinnacle of not being that too jokey goofy Guttermouth type of band.
[close]
punk in drublic though! Fat Mike said Propagandhi's HTCE kicked everyone's arse and made them get better at writing good riffs.
[close]

Yeah, this and Bad Religion’s Suffer made NOFX a much better band. Ribbed is basically BR worship lol.

Also, I think Andrew WK’s second album is his best one.

That’s actually true about Suffer making NOFX a better band. I think Mike talks about it in their book which I highly recommend. Some golden stories in that!

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2020, 05:27:14 PM »
so much good shit in this thread but most notable is how ska gets a bad rap and the decline being peak fat mike lyricism

i think tiger army is awesome although I do get the psychobilly disdain - feel like psychobilly as a genre also gets the stink that 90’s ska gets

I have a streetlight manifesto tattoo
If you are ever bored and want to hear some rad rockabilly with some questionable album covers checkout this blogspot I just downloaded it and holy shit some really decent gems of true rock and roll.
http://krazybop.blogspot.com/2020/11/nasty-rockabilly-volume-1-to-16-insane.html
Dueces Bitch's

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2020, 06:53:49 PM »
Expand Quote
so much good shit in this thread but most notable is how ska gets a bad rap and the decline being peak fat mike lyricism

i think tiger army is awesome although I do get the psychobilly disdain - feel like psychobilly as a genre also gets the stink that 90’s ska gets

[close]
If you are ever bored and want to hear some rad rockabilly with some questionable album covers checkout this blogspot I just downloaded it and holy shit some really decent gems of true rock and roll.
http://krazybop.blogspot.com/2020/11/nasty-rockabilly-volume-1-to-16-insane.html

Those Nasty Rockabilly comps are great, I have 1-5 and they’re pretty solid all the way through (if you buy rockabilly compilations you know how unusual that is)

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Those Nasty Rockabilly comps are great, I have 1-5 and they’re pretty solid all the way through (if you buy rockabilly compilations you know how unusual that is)
I stumbled upon these albeit Sandford Clark Ain't nothing to me such a badass track.  Talked from the vinyl wasteland Vol.3 it's so sick.

Where'd you find your box set?
Dueces Bitch's

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
I stumbled upon these albeit Sandford Clark Ain't nothing to me such a badass track.  Talked from the vinyl wasteland Vol.3 it's so sick.

Yeah those Tales from the Vinyl Wasteland’s are great... twisted stuff.  If you dig those check out Wavy Gravy Vol 1 and 2, and Bent, Batty and ‘Bnoxious!.

I just bought those Nasty comps individually cause I had heard they were good... I used to be a wild, crazy rockabilly obsessive (never into the “scene”) and would buy tons of comps.  Most of the time there’s one or two wild tracks and the rest are crap, so to have some that are solid all the way through are a treat!

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2020, 08:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah those Tales from the Vinyl Wasteland’s are great... twisted stuff.  If you dig those check out Wavy Gravy Vol 1 and 2, and Bent, Batty and ‘Bnoxious!.

I just bought those Nasty comps individually cause I had heard they were good... I used to be a wild, crazy rockabilly obsessive (never into the “scene”) and would buy tons of comps.  Most of the time there’s one or two wild tracks and the rest are crap, so to have some that are solid all the way through are a treat!
Yeah my local record shop is a hippie owner who kinda sucks,  I usually go on discogs and scour through used or something cheap to get.
Dueces Bitch's

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2020, 01:01:49 AM »
cool thread

my favorite nofx record is so long and thanks for all the shoes, because it was my first. i haven't listened to nofx in ages though. they're sick though.

my unpopular opinion:

drive like jehu is still underrated. yank crime is a fucking classic for the ages. the s/t is great as well, easily a 9/10.

the newer darkthrone records where they sound kind of punked up rule. i am not even into black metal really except a few songs, but i can listen to those records in one sitting and think they are pretty sick. i can see how metal and punk purists alike hate them tho.

deftones seem to be a love it or hate it band nowadays but i think they aged alright. they achieved at least that tons of new bands nowadays seem to try to sound like them, without ever getting it really right(except varials-romance/the love machine, but that was basically some camouflaged cover track).

the whole gothy dance/ebm resurgence thing is super sick. i don't care for electronic much, but i love cabaret nocturne, boy harsher, kontravoid, etc... it's not so dark so you get depressed, but is still sinister enough to not become corny. i'm not immersed in that scene so sorry if i used wrong terminology. if you watched the glue vid, you know what i mean. i'll leave the kontravoid video here, because it's a good visual represantation of the clashing vibes that form something wholesome. also, i want to ride a jetski on a lake in canada, too. if i ever do coke, it will be to music like this, and i will probably do stupid shit that kills me by accident.

i think i won't do cocaine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exD-oGci-9M&list=RDexD-oGci-9M&start_radio=1

EDIT: not sure, maybe some of those opinions are actually agreeable and popular and i don't know it

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2020, 06:04:21 PM »
cool thread

my favorite nofx record is so long and thanks for all the shoes, because it was my first. i haven't listened to nofx in ages though. they're sick though.

my unpopular opinion:

drive like jehu is still underrated. yank crime is a fucking classic for the ages. the s/t is great as well, easily a 9/10.

the newer darkthrone records where they sound kind of Crusty punked up rule. i am not even into black metal really except a few songs, but i can listen to those records in one sitting and think they are pretty sick. i can see how metal and punk purists alike hate them tho.

deftones seem to be a love it or hate it band nowadays but i think they aged alright. they achieved at least that tons of new bands nowadays seem to try to sound like them, without ever getting it really right(except varials-romance/the love machine, but that was basically some camouflaged cover track).

the whole gothy dance/ebm resurgence thing is super sick. i don't care for electronic much, but i love cabaret nocturne, boy harsher, kontravoid, etc... it's not so dark so you get depressed, but is still sinister enough to not become corny. i'm not immersed in that scene so sorry if i used wrong terminology. if you watched the glue vid, you know what i mean. i'll leave the kontravoid video here, because it's a good visual represantation of the clashing vibes that form something wholesome. also, i want to ride a jetski on a lake in canada, too. if i ever do coke, it will be to music like this, and i will probably do stupid shit that kills me by accident.

i think i won't do cocaine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exD-oGci-9M&list=RDexD-oGci-9M&start_radio=1

EDIT: not sure, maybe some of those opinions are actually agreeable and popular and i don't know it
The unholy trinity of Darkthrone Blaze in the northern sky, Transylvanian hunger, Under a funeral Moon are damn fine albums for there sporadic and unrelenting  assault for Black Metal they've  earned my respect for doing multigenres from death metal in the beginning to true kvlt BM to crusty dbeat punkish metal they can and will do it all I think Cult is Alive is my favorite of the later works Fenriz and Ted has done, absolutely madmen when it comes to playing music.

EDM and the gothy darkwave I wasn't really sure tillI gave it a good listen and I have to say I'm a fan from Cobraman for partytype of elctrofunk 80's pop to Boyharsher Light Asylum and Lebanon Hanover really I like stuff that challenges my dancing ability, Yes I've been known to bust a move at a spot or after landing something sick instead of the corny Appleyard flex.

Dueces Bitch's

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 02:08:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

DUDE! Sanford Cark is awesome! im surprised to see his name pop up in here, you dont hear him discussed enough.

Country as a whole gets a terrible rep but there is some great tunes if you look past the rhinestoned pop country surface

this dude is killing it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YivNpUXHw

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 02:38:44 AM »
I started a thread, “what song are you using for your thrasher part” just to post sandford Clark.

My unpopular opinions:
1. xfilesx is the best band to ever come out of Massachusetts.
2. Ceremony went down hill after still nothing moves you
3. touché amore got the exposure that life long tragedy deserved
4. Paul’s boutique is the best record ever made
5. Mammoth grinder is better than insect warfare
6. Spine is better than weekend nachos
7. The nerve agents should have blown up in terms of popularity
8. The first four records by AFI is some of the best hardcore ever recorded
9. Pageninetynine is great but document 8 is severely overrated and far from their best release.
10. Grief is better than dystopia. 
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Larry

• Rep: 8
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2020, 02:57:37 AM »
punk is just short for pre-post-punk
Just shred some serious gnar.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 03:18:45 AM »
I really fucking hate Dinosaur Jr and I never want to hear them in a skate video ever again.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2020, 03:20:16 AM »
I started a thread, “what song are you using for your thrasher part” just to post sandford Clark.

My unpopular opinions:
9. Pageninetynine is great but document 8 is severely overrated and far from their best release.

I can't even begin to comment on these, but I support hard stance opinions like this.

TESTIFY! WHAT?! TESTIFY!

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2020, 05:16:45 AM »
Expand Quote

My unpopular opinions:
[close]

I can't even begin to comment on these, but I support hard stance opinions like this.

TESTIFY! WHAT?! TESTIFY!

WHEN I WANT SOMETHING DONE I’ll DO IT MYSELF

RIGHT IN YOUR FACE

Gkr I wish we could high jack every thread and make it about our dated takes on hardcore and it’s subgenres.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2020, 05:20:29 AM »
I didn‘t even know powerviolence had a popular phase. I always thought it had reached its peak with Infest‘s Break The Chains. Also wish I had kept my Infest Break The Chains hoodie.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Grind King Rims

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 06:45:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My unpopular opinions:
[close]

TESTIFY! WHAT?! TESTIFY!

[close]

WHEN I WANT SOMETHING DONE I’ll DO IT MYSELF

RIGHT IN YOUR FACE

Gkr I wish we could high jack every thread and make it about our dated takes on hardcore and it’s subgenres.

Hell yeah dude <3

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2020, 06:49:31 AM »

My unpopular opinions:

agree with all of this, although i still like ceremony up until zoo, which wasn't great, but ok imo.

nerve agents are so sick, very underrated band.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 07:00:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

DUDE! Sanford Cark is awesome! im surprised to see his name pop up in here, you dont hear him discussed enough.

Country as a whole gets a terrible rep but there is some great tunes if you look past the rhinestoned pop country surface

this dude is killing it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YivNpUXHw
Country really does get a bad rep when you think of the dipshits who rep it albeit racist garbage but some of the toughest outlaws were of that 50's country western/rockabilly Elvis Jerry Lewis ripoffs.  I've found some of the best stuff at donation bins and other YT channels.
Dueces Bitch's

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 07:50:39 AM »
I really fucking hate Dinosaur Jr and I never want to hear them in a skate video ever again.

blasphemy

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 08:47:14 AM »

My unpopular opinions:
10. Grief is better than dystopia.  Brainoil is better than Grief
Most of this I can agree with however I do no share your opinions on AFI and Grief, Brainoil is close to what Dystopia was and Paul's Boutique was better than Check your head.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:57:20 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote

My unpopular opinions:
[close]
Most of this I can agree with however I do no share your opinions on AFI and Grief, Brainoil is close to what Dystopia is  and Paul's Boutique was better than Check your head.

I highly suggest revisiting shut your mouth and open your eyes. That shit is incredible.

I will give you that brainoil is closer to what dystopia was. That being said I’m a fucking huge sucker for New England hardcore (and just generally heavy shit) despite being from Southern California and now living in Texas. For some reason MA and RI in particular just make the best shit for my ears. Plus I also like disrupt more than noothgrush.

I think when I first joined slap your picture was dystopia, and I was like oh fuck yeah this guy gets it. The handle and the picture I always remembered for some reason hahaha.

I also have one last hot take, I don’t really like anything from Death except leprosy.

If anyone can point me to some more shit by them that’s similar to pull the plug I would appreciate it.

Until then I will continue to like gruesome more than death.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My unpopular opinions:
[close]
Most of this I can agree with however I do no share your opinions on AFI and Grief, Brainoil is close to what Dystopia is  and Paul's Boutique was better than Check your head.
[close]

I highly suggest revisiting shut your mouth and open your eyes. That shit is incredible.

I will give you that brainoil is closer to what dystopia was. That being said I’m a fucking huge sucker for New England hardcore (and just generally heavy shit) despite being from Southern California and now living in Texas. For some reason MA and RI in particular just make the best shit for my ears. Plus I also like disrupt more than noothgrush.

I think when I first joined slap your picture was dystopia, and I was like oh fuck yeah this guy gets it. The handle and the picture I always remembered for some reason hahaha.

I also have one last hot take, I don’t really like anything from Death except leprosy.

If anyone can point me to some more shit by them that’s similar to pull the plug I would appreciate it.

Okay ok I see you on that rip about hardcore vs. sludgey doom laden music, New England definitely has a close comparison when in terms of bringing these ruckus in that category when it comes to heavy shit maybe it's a regional thing and I agree.

For me I like a laid back pummeling sound that one does but doesn't take itself too seriously, if you ever get any old interviews the guys from Life is Abuse and the multitudes of projects they did in between were kinda joke one offs of each band I  think the only band out of that camp that took itself waaaay too seriously is Watch Them Die/Grimple.

Unbeknownst to many they're closely affiliated with Norteno's and Mexican prison gangs,  the short singer Sonny was a badass seen him beat the breaks off some meathead in NOLA....  like really friendly but you speak wrong about something and you might get your ass kicked, (I made a few shirts of those guy's when I was in Oakland under their permission)  They stopped by to get a sample of how it was going I made a joke like hey I'm going to have a cool screen to make a quilt or something he looked at me with intensity like dude you can have a shirt but if you bootleg our shit I will come find you and kick your fucking ass!!!!

Yes I had a avatar for Dystopia for a bit but X-Files is a great show and smoking man was my favorite antagonist in the show.

Now as far as Death did you ever listen to Repulsion or Autopsy? what about Coffins? waaay underrated when it comes to that old school death metal chunky heavy bands that rip.

Disrupt to Noothgrush?! How do you compare the two?! You had me at the Grief and Dystopia comparison but Disrupt to Noothgrush?! You lost me dude...... Toxic Narcotic is a close comparison then Noothgrush.  Which if you ask me I like Disrupt more than Toxic Narcotic.

Now I know this is going to rub some of you guys the wrong way but Napalm Death sucks and so does Cannibal Corpse, never really dug those bands just seemed like meathead Floriduh metal.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:40:00 PM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2020, 04:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My unpopular opinions:
[close]
[close]

[close]
Okay ok I see you on that rip about hardcore vs. sludgey doom laden music, New England definitely has a close comparison when in terms of bringing these ruckus in that category when it comes to heavy shit maybe it's a regional thing and I agree.

For me I like a laid back pummeling sound that one does but doesn't take itself too seriously, if you ever get any old interviews the guys from Life is Abuse and the multitudes of projects they did in between were kinda joke one offs of each band I  think the only band out of that camp that took itself waaaay too seriously is Watch Them Die/Grimple.

Unbeknownst to many they're closely affiliated with Norteno's and Mexican prison gangs,  the short singer Sonny was a badass seen him beat the breaks off some meathead in NOLA....  like really friendly but you speak wrong about something and you might get your ass kicked, (I made a few shirts of those guy's when I was in Oakland under their permission)  They stopped by to get a sample of how it was going I made a joke like hey I'm going to have a cool screen to make a quilt or something he looked at me with intensity like dude you can have a shirt but if you bootleg our shit I will come find you and kick your fucking ass!!!!

Yes I had a avatar for Dystopia for a bit but X-Files is a great show and smoking man was my favorite antagonist in the show.

Now as far as Death did you ever listen to Repulsion or Autopsy? what about Coffins? waaay underrated when it comes to that old school death metal chunky heavy bands that rip.

Disrupt to Noothgrush?! How do you compare the two?! You had me at the Grief and Dystopia comparison but Disrupt to Noothgrush?! You lost me dude...... Toxic Narcotic is a close comparison then Noothgrush.  Which if you ask me I like Disrupt more than Toxic Narcotic.

Now I know this is going to rub some of you guys the wrong way but Napalm Death sucks and so does Cannibal Corpse, never really dug those bands just seemed like meathead Floriduh metal.

That avatar is from the musings of a smoking man right? That’s probably my favorite episode of the show.

The disrupt/noothgrush was not a comparison, it was which band I liked more based strictly of what the members of grief and dystopia were in, not sonically at all.

I can totally understand how confusing that was with no preface and my apologies!

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2020, 04:56:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My unpopular opinions:
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

That avatar is from the musings of a smoking man right? That’s probably my favorite episode of the show.

The disrupt/noothgrush was not a comparison, it was which band I liked more based strictly of what the members of grief and dystopia were in, not sonically at all.

I can totally understand how confusing that was with no preface and my apologies!
See this where text really doesn’t give context to sarcasm I was busting your chops a bit, yeah I can see your opinions on hardcore sound compared to the sludge doom sound. In my opinion there’s a lot of good bands from that era and timeline got to see Dropdead and His Hero is Gone at the Providence venue The Living Room so sick to see those bands in their prime.

Dueces Bitch's

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »
I am over the vast majority of all the punk I used to listen to except Minor Threat

Metal is lame

Burt Bacharach is dope

Run the Jewels are overrated

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2020, 03:11:14 AM »
People only like Death the punk band because of a fucking video documentary. Clearly no one cared for them when they were making music. And Ishod probably mixed them up with Chuck’s because didn’t he skate to politicians in my eyes?

As far as bad music, does anyone else on the board fuck with Anal Cunt or any brutal slam like Cephalotrispy?

Fugazi, minor threat, and Ian suck and the only cool shit he did was put out all those flex your head tapes.

Can’t stand indie shit like Mac demaco, goth babe, beach house but I love R.E.M for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:24:09 AM by Youoverthere »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2020, 03:30:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

blasphemy
I saw em live and J Mascis could barely play because he was “so ripped on Denver weed” so yeah fuck dinosaur too

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2020, 03:44:31 AM »
People only like Death the punk band because of a fucking video documentary. Clearly no one cared for them when they were making music. And Ishod probably mixed them up with Chuck’s because didn’t he skate to politicians in my eyes?

As far as bad music, does anyone else on the board fuck with Anal Cunt or any brutal slam like Cephalotrispy?

Fugazi, minor threat, and Ian suck and the only cool shit he did was put out all those flex your head tapes.

Can’t stand indie shit like Mac demaco, goth babe, beach house but I love R.E.M for some reason.

Backed your take on death, even with that documentary they are criminally underrated and overlooked. They created a genre in a vacuum, essentially. There’s no reason they’re not held in higher regard than iggy or mc5.

Slam metal is boring as fuck and anal cunt is awful, the only worthwhile thing Seth Putnam ever did was being in siege for like a year.

Mac demarco is spaget wearing a dad hat.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2020, 04:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Backed your take on death, even with that documentary they are criminally underrated and overlooked. They created a genre in a vacuum, essentially. There’s no reason they’re not held in higher regard than iggy or mc5.

Slam metal is boring as fuck and anal cunt is awful, the only worthwhile thing Seth Putnam ever did was being in siege for like a year.

Mac demarco is spaget wearing a dad hat.
I know anal cunt is awful but it’s like they don’t make music, they make a wall of ignorant din. It’s a child-like tantrum mixed with inside jokes on record. And I love it. Somehow I made it to the top .01 percentile of Death and AC listeners on Spotify which is bad new for anyone that lets me play music in the car. Lol