Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 19478 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1591
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2021, 06:30:37 PM »
New Shane Gillis special

It's like half bits I've already heard, but it's still really good
The section about taking his heroin-addicted sister to a waterpark before her intervention is super funny

It is so crazy how many specials I see on netflix that barely make me smile.  Then there is stuff like this. Really good stuff. 
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

S.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2021, 02:21:30 AM »
Expand Quote
New Shane Gillis special

The section about taking his heroin-addicted sister to a waterpark before her intervention is super funny
[close]

It is so crazy how many specials I see on netflix that barely make me smile.  Then there is stuff like this. Really good stuff.

Yes I liked this special alot. He would have been great on SNL: All the working class guys and rednecks he would have portrayed... When you see this special it seems insane that he was cancelled from the show.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2021, 06:39:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Shane Gillis special

[close]

[close]

Yes I liked this special alot. He would have been great on SNL: All the working class guys and rednecks he would have portrayed... When you see this special it seems insane that he was cancelled from the show.

Shoutout Gilly and Keeves

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2021, 05:39:19 PM »
bill hicks. older bill burr stuff

Clemskiba

• Rep: 50
  • almost canadian
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »
wow, norm macdonald just died from cancer at 61 years old, damn

https://deadline.com/2021/09/norm-macdonald-dead-obituary-comedian-saturday-night-live-weekend-update-anchor-was-61-1234833212/

not even a huge fan of his but always liked his dry and vulgar humour

this is a sad way to go, wouldn't wish it on anyone

may he rest in peace

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:02:02 PM by Clemskiba »

We're all posting on a message board in 2022. We're all losers.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »
RIP NORM

Shit is a gut punch. Trevor Moore and norm in the same year, fucking horrible :(

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Clemskiba

• Rep: 50
  • almost canadian
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2021, 12:07:01 PM »
RIP NORM

Shit is a gut punch. Trevor Moore and norm in the same year, fucking horrible :(

yeah that's very sad, 2021 really hasn't spared comedy fans

sean lock also died recently, that guy was one of my faves and he died of cancer too

you fuckin hate to see it :(

We're all posting on a message board in 2022. We're all losers.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2021, 12:20:15 PM »
rest in peace norm. fuck cancer.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2021, 12:39:48 PM »
Norm- RIP. True dry delivery NY comedy legend.  My favorite kind of stand up.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »
I wish we could hear him read his own announcement of death and deliver his own eulogy.

"....and in today's news... professional stand up comedian Norm McDonald has passed away at 61. Real professional Norm, real professional".

Never forget:

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2021, 08:35:39 AM »
So one time I took a tinder date to an open mic comedy night.  She was of Italian descent, and may have had just the slightest amount of dark upper lip hair.  Anyway, one of the performers went into this bit about women with moustaches.. it was so pointless and poorly delivered, I couldn’t tell if he was making it up on the spot, or if he noticed my date and was forcing himself through it because he had no other jokes to fill his time.  Either way, it was extremely awkward, and we never went out again.  Probably for other reasons, though.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2021, 08:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
New Shane Gillis special

[close]

holy shit, i didn’t think i was a fan of this guy .. seen him on some podcasts and he was funny but that special won me over .. the and one mix tape joke had me dying as someone that’s been to a few of those special olympics events

This was my reaction as well. I wasn't remarkably impressed with his material when I first learned about him (via the "controversy") but this was a great special.

Also RIP Norm. Absolutely one of the all time best. His set at the Comedy Central Roast broke my brain when I saw it.

https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/1437883977696751625

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Shane Gillis special

[close]

holy shit, i didn’t think i was a fan of this guy .. seen him on some podcasts and he was funny but that special won me over .. the and one mix tape joke had me dying as someone that’s been to a few of those special olympics events
[close]

This was my reaction as well. I wasn't remarkably impressed with his material when I first learned about him (via the "controversy") but this was a great special.

Also RIP Norm. Absolutely one of the all time best. His set at the Comedy Central Roast broke my brain when I saw it.

“…. Ladies and gentleman this man is for the birds…” Norms comedic timing is unmatched.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »

Never forget:

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2021, 08:46:50 PM »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2021, 06:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New Shane Gillis special

[close]

[close]

[close]

“…. Ladies and gentleman this man is for the birds…” Norms comedic timing is unmatched.

The blank stare he gives the audience as he waits for a reaction absolutely slays me. He was seriously one of the funniest people to ever do it.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »
Looking through that Norm MacDonald Twitter thread I came across this and lmao watching it.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »
Saw Annie Lederman and Josh Potter a few weeks ago when they came through town. I'd only seen them on podcasts, so I kinda went in blind. Potter was very good, I would definitely go see him again. Lederman was a little hit and miss, but I was in a good mood so I had a good time. I would see her again I think, I'm sure she'll only get better. They hung around to take photos, I took some with Annie but didn't even think to take any with Potter, I felt like a dick after.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

Darkminion

• Rep: 0
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2021, 02:20:33 AM »

Not sure if it’s been posted but great

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2021, 07:56:47 AM »
is it implicit to not talk about the GOATs in this thread? it's wild to me to talk about stand up and not mention eddie murphy, seinfeld, chris rock, chappel, etc...

i watch this round table in the car today and found it entertaining. if you like comedians in cars it's a similar vibe

Tangentially related, but if you go back and watch old Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay stand-up, (which I don’t recommend) is like being transported to some alternate dimension.  They never once say something even remotely funny but the audience will be doubled over, hyperventilating with tears of laughter streaming down their faces.

I’ve watched two or three of their specials and literally spent the whole time trying to figure out what the fuck I’m watching.

i'm not a huge kinison fan but this bit cracked me up the first time i saw it

mushroom slice

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »
Mitch

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2552
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2021, 12:52:37 PM »

sean lock also died recently, that guy was one of my faves and he died of cancer too

Late to this but yeah, gutted. I even watched 8 Out 10 Cats because of him.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2021, 11:57:54 PM »

I just watched Dave Chapelle‘s latest Netflix special. I loved his four other Netflix specials and I was very excited about this one popping up on Netflix.

It is by far the worst special he has put out. It feels like a set in the early stages of its development. It reminded me a lot of that leaked Louis CK set from four years ago: a lot of politically incorrect insults without much self awareness or any type of new perspectives. Just shock for shock‘s sake. It seems he hasn‘t put much work or thought into it. He also seems to be very full of himself in the special, which in my opinion is usually terrible for a comedian.

I hope he just needed to get that terrible special out to move on to better things….

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »

I just watched Dave Chapelle‘s latest Netflix special. I loved his four other Netflix specials and I was very excited about this one popping up on Netflix.

It is by far the worst special he has put out. It feels like a set in the early stages of its development. It reminded me a lot of that leaked Louis CK set from four years ago: a lot of politically incorrect insults without much self awareness or any type of new perspectives. Just shock for shock‘s sake. It seems he hasn‘t put much work or thought into it. He also seems to be very full of himself in the special, which in my opinion is usually terrible for a comedian.

I hope he just needed to get that terrible special out to move on to better things….

Okay. I thought I was alone on this. This one really wasn't that good.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »
have a blessed Sunday all...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2021, 08:37:05 AM »

funny, i haven't actually sat through any other Chapelle specials, but i watched this one last night and i dug it...he sounds content with and realistic about where he's at

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2022, 01:17:31 AM »
Ali Siddiq's new special on YouTube is phenomenal!

"The Domino Effect".

Chappelle level material

Never forget:

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2022, 09:52:51 AM »

The new Stavros special is the first time I've actually laughed at some stand up in a while

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2022, 10:10:01 AM »

The new Stavros special is the first time I've actually laughed at some stand up in a while
Was gonna post this but had made the big claim stand up wasn't needed anymore so didn't lol. Also for me this was first time actually laughing at stand up for some while but I do think he's even funnier on podcasts etc