Author Topic: Stand up comedy  (Read 19122 times)

City of Drunken Totems

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • I lovuh da guile
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Stand up comedy
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2022, 10:22:51 AM »
New chappelle specials stink

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2022, 12:52:02 PM »
Stoked to see Ali Saddiq and Stavros fans on here...

There’s about to be many specials on the horizon because dudes have been working on materiel during the pandemic and not being to travel until recently.

Joe List had a special come out a couple months ago that kills on youtube. Paul Virzi just had a Netflix special come out recently that I haven’t watched yet but have heard good things about.

On the horizon I’ve heard Ari Shaffir has a special coming up soon, Ian Fidance as well, and Big Jay Oakerson in the next few months.

Also, I can’t think of any female comedians named here and with no thought off the top of my head Bonnie McFarlane, Kim Congden, and Ms Pat are the ones that pop up. Shout out also to Dina Hashem for that one roast battle clip that I can’t post at the moment.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1537
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2022, 04:56:31 PM »
I completely agree that the new Stavros special was great! It is nice having so many come out randomly where I don't expect it, and across different platforms as well.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2022, 08:59:18 PM »
Backing you on on the Stavros mention, that was amazing. His crowd work is top tier.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2022, 10:51:25 PM »
I thought the Joel Kim Booster Netflix special was fun

I turned off the Ricky Gervais one.   I may not disagree with Chappelle’s shitty takes, but he at least knows to stick that shit at the end of the special.   Gervais was just a miserable prick from the jump

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2022, 06:33:02 PM »

I turned off the Ricky Gervais one.   I may not agree with Chappelle’s shitty takes, but he at least knows to stick that shit at the end of the special.   Gervais was just a miserable prick from the jump

Shit, accidentally wrote disagree earlier.  In context I hope it’s clear I’m not a Terf or a hatemonger, but def want to make that clear now

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2022, 01:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/eNpkhX85yf0

The new Stavros special is the first time I've actually laughed at some stand up in a while
[close]
Was gonna post this but had made the big claim stand up wasn't needed anymore so didn't lol. Also for me this was first time actually laughing at stand up for some while but I do think he's even funnier on podcasts etc

I've been binging his youtube videos ever since watching this.  Hilarious.

Anyone fuck with Shane Torres?  I might be able to see him in Detroit next month, just trying to work it out with, uh... work.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »
Ricky Gervais' stand up is painfully bad.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »

You do stand up too? I had a fairly decent run for like 8 years or so but lost the passion for it the last few years. I've lost the desire to perform but I still write pretty much every day. I saw one of your posts saying that when you started doing comedy you stopped watching it. It was the same thing for me.

What market are you in? How long have you done comedy?

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2022, 08:47:04 PM »
Yeah, I do. Haven't in a while now, just started putting my time into some other stuff recently. I'll get around to doing it again, been having the itch again recently. I've always written stuff and kept little notes for bits and stuff, similar to you.

I'm not like a full time comic or anything, just stuff in and around my city. Get booked sometimes for a paid gig here and there, but not anywhere near being a working comic. Started it like...6ish years ago? It's pretty fun, I always suggest people to just try an open mic if they have any interest in it.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2022, 10:47:43 AM »

I dunno. I always thought it was funny that a man who gave a softball interview to Jimmy Savile had the gall to "take Hollywood to task" about epstein

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2022, 01:18:02 PM »
About the only Gervais I can tolerate is the stuff with Karl Pilkington bc at least he’s jolly during it and whatever you think about his treatment of Karl, he made him a millionaire

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2022, 01:52:45 PM »
Will always love the office, extras, life's too short, Ricky Gervais show both radio and podcast all the Karl shows even Derek and afterlife had good moments (altho that last season of afterlife shows he's got nothing left in the tank. It was basically just a redo of stuff he's already done) but his standup was always weird. Obviously all standup is a rehearsed one person act but his always felt really act-y if that makes any sense. A bunch of its even fucking prop comedy which can fuck right off.

Expand Quote
[close]

I dunno. I always thought it was funny that a man who gave a softball interview to Jimmy Savile had the gall to "take Hollywood to task" about epstein
"I'd rather be a hypocrite than never change at all" - misquote from one of the beastie boys

Rohn_mob_joore

• Rep: -24
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2022, 02:01:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://youtu.be/eNpkhX85yf0

The new Stavros special is the first time I've actually laughed at some stand up in a while
[close]
Was gonna post this but had made the big claim stand up wasn't needed anymore so didn't lol. Also for me this was first time actually laughing at stand up for some while but I do think he's even funnier on podcasts etc
[close]

I've been binging his youtube videos ever since watching this.  Hilarious.

Anyone fuck with Shane Torres?  I might be able to see him in Detroit next month, just trying to work it out with, uh... work.

Happy for stavros’ more recent mainstream success but sad to see him leaving his podcast cumtown :( his chemistry with nick Mullen and Adam was amazing

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2022, 02:20:52 PM »
is cumtown finished? I haven't listened in a few years but used to listen a ton. kinda ruined my sense of humor for a while tbh lol

Rohn_mob_joore

• Rep: -24
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2022, 03:29:05 PM »
is cumtown finished? I haven't listened in a few years but used to listen a ton. kinda ruined my sense of humor for a while tbh lol

Adam and Nick are doing it for now, I think they were planning to end the show at some point anyways. Ruined my humor too. I can’t play it around my girlfriend lol

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2022, 01:43:51 AM »
Never heard this set from Norm before. You can hear comics near where they were recording.  Sounds like Tom and Bert.

https://youtu.be/Rsnxnl5n2jE

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2022, 12:48:26 AM »

Never forget:

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2022, 10:20:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4QINegxx3A

Writing these types of jokes must be so challenging
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 10:32:16 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2022, 01:19:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4QINegxx3A

Writing these types of jokes must be so challenging

that was quite the rabbit hole i went down. really funny stuff.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2022, 12:16:27 PM »
a truly classic performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2S1AZLiJY

that shit with Tommy "Tiny" Lister (Deebo...RIP) starting around 3:05 is absolutely amazing

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2022, 08:39:30 PM »
^Mike Epps always comes correct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NbQ0TkN0A

This had me dying... the jokes/crowd work are great, but what really got me was him doing the interview in his bed with his CPAP machine

Never forget:

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2022, 08:51:59 PM »
Mitch Hedbergs stern appearance 2 weeks before he passed… some of the interview is cringeworthy in hindsight, But Mitch was great. The joke he makes about XM radio around 06:35 is my fav… also featuring a young healthy Artie Lange

https://youtu.be/pWhIXwCvx0o
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2022, 05:35:34 PM »
David Cross has a special for FREE available through Sunday and it's really good!

officialdavidcross.com

Never forget:

badmanganjaspliff

• Rep: 2
  • You pies
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2022, 05:52:49 AM »
Expand Quote

I turned off the Ricky Gervais one.   I may not agree with Chappelle’s shitty takes, but he at least knows to stick that shit at the end of the special.   Gervais was just a miserable prick from the jump
[close]

Shit, accidentally wrote disagree earlier.  In context I hope it’s clear I’m not a Terf or a hatemonger, but def want to make that clear now
The other thing chapelle has over gervais is he’s actually funny. Have always found gervais jarring, too much punching down for me and not done in a intelligent or funny way like bill hicks for example. Either way fuck them terfs

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2022, 02:11:55 PM »
  I support Chappelle as a human with a voice and his skits could be great but his stand up was never great, although not offensively bad.  I detest stand up generally except for Andy Kaufman who is incredible and I've seen some good Richard Pryor.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2022, 02:38:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
The other thing chapelle has over gervais is he’s actually funny. Have always found gervais jarring, too much punching down for me and not done in a intelligent or funny way like bill hicks for example. Either way fuck them terfs
   Nobody is punching anybody dude its stand up.  Stand up isn't dangerous it just sucks 9 times out of 10. 
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2022, 03:20:10 PM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2022, 03:25:09 PM »
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2022, 10:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
   Nobody is punching anybody dude its stand up.  Stand up isn't dangerous it just sucks 9 times out of 10.
Gervais never really felt like a true stand up comedian. Its like a one man play where the character is a stand up. Don't think he ever had to do ten minutes or work clubs etc. I do think he is funny just less so in his stand up mc grindah of people just do nothing is a straight rip off of David Brent but that doesn't really factor into stand up comedy