Author Topic: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)  (Read 77689 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
Re: WBSWB Movement (Wide Board Short Wheelbase)
« Reply #300 on: May 03, 2021, 04:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm curious about Jawn Gardner's custom pro shape that's 8.8" wide with a 14" wb. I know he likes skating Creature's stump shapes, but that's even stumpier than usual.

Would it be too weird to ride for transition and such?
[close]

I think it’d be great in transition. Nice and wide but the short wb would let you turn pretty sharply. I really enjoy transition on a 14.25 wb and I’m sure 14 is great too, especially with the wider deck

Cool. I've always been under the impression a longer wheelbase was good for transition. But regardless, I'm a short dude, so anything 14.25 and shorter is always welcomed.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #301 on: May 03, 2021, 07:44:24 PM »
I'm curious about Jawn Gardner's custom pro shape that's 8.8" wide with a 14" wb. I know he likes skating Creature's stump shapes, but that's even stumpier than usual.

It's a TT - I was almost fully erect but then I saw the length; it's a chode.

LENGTH 31.42 in
WIDTH 8.84 in
WHEEL BASE14.0 in
NOSE LENGTH 6.61 in
TAIL LENGTH 6.61 in
CONCAVE Medium

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #302 on: May 03, 2021, 08:01:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

LENGTH 31.42 in
WIDTH 8.84 in
WHEEL BASE14.0 in
NOSE LENGTH 6.61 in
TAIL LENGTH 6.61 in
CONCAVE Medium

Excuse my ignorance, but what’s a TT?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2021, 08:12:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

LENGTH 31.42 in
WIDTH 8.84 in
WHEEL BASE14.0 in
NOSE LENGTH 6.61 in
TAIL LENGTH 6.61 in
CONCAVE Medium
[close]

Twin tail

For people who want to ride the board both ways mainly, but I know some people like the shorter nose too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #304 on: May 03, 2021, 08:15:05 PM »

I have a feeling those specs are a little off, I’ve noticed nhs posted dims are always a little different than the actual ones. Maybe we measure differently. But the nose and tail lengths seem to not match up for me usually.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: May 03, 2021, 08:28:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

LENGTH 31.42 in
WIDTH 8.84 in
WHEEL BASE14.0 in
NOSE LENGTH 6.61 in
TAIL LENGTH 6.61 in
CONCAVE Medium
[close]

[close]

Twin tail

For people who want to ride the board both ways mainly, but I know some people like the shorter nose too.

Gotcha. And thanks. I saw the email and was curious when they called it a twin nose and tail.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2021, 12:29:36 PM »
any word on how steep the tail(s) are on that shape? really tempted to spend when i shouldnt, i can let that be the deal breaker
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2021, 01:13:24 PM »
any word on how steep the tail(s) are on that shape? really tempted to spend when i shouldnt, i can let that be the deal breaker

It has a sticker that says “Classic Creature Concave” so if you’re familiar with nhs decks at all then it’s gonna be pretty much the same as those. My experience is they tend to be a bit more on the steep side especially in the kicks. Haven’t skated one in a long time but I’ve held plenty and seen them in person regularly

Looks like a sick shape to me. I’ve kind of always imagined a board like that. Short, wide and twin tail. Curious to see if anyone picks one up and what they think

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #308 on: May 07, 2021, 08:40:38 AM »
damn, this looks so cool but 31.5" is just too short for me

https://rosestreetskateshop.com/products/heroin-symmetrical-egg-9-0
Width: 9"
Length: 31.5"
Wheelbase: 14.125"
Nose: 6.625"
Tail: 6.625"
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2021, 09:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It has a sticker that says “Classic Creature Concave” so if you’re familiar with nhs decks at all then it’s gonna be pretty much the same as those. My experience is they tend to be a bit more on the steep side especially in the kicks. Haven’t skated one in a long time but I’ve held plenty and seen them in person regularly

Looks like a sick shape to me. I’ve kind of always imagined a board like that. Short, wide and twin tail. Curious to see if anyone picks one up and what they think

Didn't realize that the Creature Stumps 8.5 is the same dimension as the Quasi decks I like to ride - 8.5W x 32L x 14.25 WB. Didn't realize how long their WBs usually are.

anti-bolts

• Rep: -2
  • andy shitcock
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2021, 10:02:51 PM »
can anybody list some popsicle decks that are at least 8.75, less than but can be 14.5 wb? all the habitat aws and hockey ones so far are either sold out or not available in the us

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »
can anybody list some popsicle decks that are at least 8.75, less than but can be 14.5 wb? all the habitat aws and hockey ones so far are either sold out or not available in the us

Quasi 8.75 is a 14.5wb, basically the same shape as the Hockey 8.75.

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »

Tactics and Skate Warehouse will let you search their decks by size and wheelbase. Quick look shows the Heroin Craig Questions Giallo deck is 8.75 with 14.5 wb, same for the Blood Wizard Kowalski Dragon Slayer.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #313 on: May 10, 2021, 06:29:31 AM »

This would be antithetical to WBSWB.

anti-bolts

• Rep: -2
  • andy shitcock
« Reply #314 on: May 10, 2021, 08:46:07 AM »
thx guys also yeah good point but ive had to resort to longer wheelbases cause of the board drought, hopefully the af1 can reduce the wheelbase enough so it doesnt feel too off from what im used to

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #315 on: May 10, 2021, 09:00:05 AM »
thx guys also yeah good point but ive had to resort to longer wheelbases cause of the board drought, hopefully the af1 can reduce the wheelbase enough so it doesnt feel too off from what im used to

I hear ya.  I'll keep an eye out.  Some times AWS has wider than 8.5" in a 14.25-14.5 range.

Zark

• Rep: 6
« Reply #316 on: May 10, 2021, 12:04:02 PM »
Been skating a madness, but had to settle for an 8.75/14.25 and I really don't like skating under a 9". The wood is really good but the tail is a bit mellow for my liking.

I tried the dead dave double shovel for one session and did not like it at all, the tail was too stubby and the wood just felt dead, maybe cause it's dipped? The stubby tail with the shovel shape made it feel like my foot was falling off the tail when setting up. I think I 've been spoiled lately with the china wood being super crispy, going back to BBS, they feel dull/heavy?

I miss my 9" creature stump, the tail was the steepness I liked, and stayed pretty crispy throughout. Creature replied to me in IG that a stump drop was coming soon, but that was like 3 weeks ago. I really like the Gardner spook for the wheelbase but I know 8.8  at the widest point means it's gonna be like 8.5 at the bolts.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #317 on: May 14, 2021, 04:09:03 PM »
I love this shape....Dimensions measure true! No stickers, dot/indent or laser engraving on the top, but there is a circle/dimple on the bottom (center of truck holes). Magenta stain middle ply. DEEP concave Medium kicks; not quite 2 fingers of flat.

FAT nose, appears more blunt/wide in person, photo makes it feel like it's super long.

Nice short-ish tail too

After skating an old 8.65 X 32.25 wknd board, I decided to order the last of this Alien shape on SW (they are located in my town). Pretty excited to skate it. Thinking of setting up my ventures and 54 conicals with it but worried it might be too heavy. Might trade out the conicals in general because they heavy.
The chillest1

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2021, 07:07:15 PM »
I’m on a Quasi 9.0 football shape right now with Thunder 151s and am loving it. I’ll likely try to get another Quasi 9.0 at some point, but if they’re sold out, was thinking of a Girl LoveSeat. Anyone know if 151s will fit alright? The Girl deck doesn’t look like it tapers as much as the Quasi.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2021, 07:31:35 AM »
I got some classic Ace 66s, and had them on my cruising/downhill board, but really want to taste them in a slappy.

So I got an uncut black, and am making a 31.5 x 9.4 (14 wb, couldn’t get anything longer) twin shovel.

Really excited about it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2021, 08:21:08 AM »
I got some classic Ace 66s, and had them on my cruising/downhill board, but really want to taste them in a slappy.

So I got an uncut black, and am making a 31.5 x 9.4 (14 wb, couldn’t get anything longer) twin shovel.

Really excited about it.
I've been thinking a wideboi twin shovel with a short wheelbase would be neat. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

laterskater

• Rep: 3
« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2021, 08:41:03 AM »
I’m on a Quasi 9.0 football shape right now with Thunder 151s and am loving it. I’ll likely try to get another Quasi 9.0 at some point, but if they’re sold out, was thinking of a Girl LoveSeat. Anyone know if 151s will fit alright? The Girl deck doesn’t look like it tapers as much as the Quasi.

Good to hear you like the 9.0 Quasi, I was thinking about getting it. I’m currently riding the Girl Loveseat and it’s my favorite shape to ride right now. Thunder 151s will fit it perfectly.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #322 on: May 16, 2021, 09:46:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good to hear you like the 9.0 Quasi, I was thinking about getting it. I’m currently riding the Girl Loveseat and it’s my favorite shape to ride right now. Thunder 151s will fit it perfectly.

Thanks man!

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2021, 01:10:45 PM »

If you saw my post in the setups thread I was kind of skeptical because of the length and WB shorter than 14.25. I did a small sesh in my garage though and it was hella fun to ride!!

Gonna hopefully scoop up one more. I have a bunch of money wrapped up in crypto, or I'd buy at least two more. Hope Alien keeps producing this shape.
The chillest1

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2021, 01:12:34 PM »
Bringing in this from the Set-up thread as well. Rolled around on it and it feels good. Going to take this to the park later today or tomorrow morning.

Creature Jawn Gardner TT 8.8 x 31.4 x 14wb (sizing down from a 14.75 WB x 33 L)
Ace 55 classic
OJ 55mm hardline (also sizing down from a 58mm)
Bones Swiss
Mob

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2021, 01:29:12 PM »
that board looks so much fun. really tempted to get one. plus 8.5 that is short was always a dream type shape for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »
that board looks so much fun. really tempted to get one. plus 8.5 that is short was always a dream type shape for me.

I really wanted to try one, but the 31.5" L x 14" WB just won't work for me - I bet it's killer for the shorter legged people tho.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2021, 08:53:43 PM »
Bringing in this from the Set-up thread as well. Rolled around on it and it feels good. Going to take this to the park later today or tomorrow morning.

Creature Jawn Gardner TT 8.8 x 31.4 x 14wb (sizing down from a 14.75 WB x 33 L)
Ace 55 classic
OJ 55mm hardline (also sizing down from a 58mm)
Bones Swiss
Mob

So I got a quick session in at the park — riding strictly transition — and boy oh boy was this board different. A good different, but still, different as there were lots of factors to overcome:

Came from my TOPX 8.75 which was full shaped — squared off nose tail — so the tapered TT took time to get used to as I always felt my toes were hanging to far off which made me feel squirrely. 

Going from that board's 14.75WB to a 14WB, my stance felt too wide, so I had too much weight at the nose which made me feel like I'd tip over.

On the other hand, the short WB made me feel like I zipped around tighter turns and corners.

Seeing that I went from worn in 97a Spitfire F4 to 99a OJ hardline, the wheels made me feel like I was hitting those corners at even a faster speed.

And add to that the new hard wheels feeling vs. the slighty softer wheel, when I'd tend out to slide a touch more as the 97a wheels felt like they gripped A LOT more. I can only imagine the slippage I'd feel if I went 101a.

Popped an ollie and it felt like an ollie. Tried a kickflip and it felt like the shorter WB and tapered nose helped my flick go faster — still primo'd and slammed my shin, just faster this time.

Overall, I'm liking this set up and am going to take it for another session at the same park tomorrow.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »

fixer hero shape
8.6/32/14.25

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2021, 06:21:41 AM »
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Santa_Cruz_Transcend_Hands_VX_Deck/descpage-SCTS88DK.html

8.8x31.95x14.25
Get it before it's gone; these things sell out wicked fast...or flip it on Ebay for $125+