Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19494 times)

switchfakie

Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2023, 09:28:13 PM »

… in hardware news today

i've never ruined a truck by "baseplate blowout", so i could really care less about this product

also, how many people really give a shit about their hardware? just get the cheapest allen/phillips

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2023, 06:47:50 AM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2023, 08:31:43 AM »
Here's some low profile locknut's I got from McMaster Carr, been skating them for a month and no issues and I combined them with the hollow Ace bolts.  Pack of 50 for $5.70 + $9.69 shipping (you can't choose shipping, they arrived next day).  Not the best financial decision, but then again I'm buying low profile locknuts for my skateboard.
Part number: 90101A225   

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2023, 08:36:01 AM »
I'd be much more interested in low-profile 3/8" nuts for better kingpin clearance, but not interested enough to buy 50 through McMaster-Carr.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2023, 08:44:17 AM »
I'd be much more interested in low-profile 3/8" nuts for better kingpin clearance, but not interested enough to buy 50 through McMaster-Carr.

That’s a good idea, you could have a looser truck while remaining flush at the top

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2023, 09:57:00 AM »
So ACE can't even make hollow bolts lightweight?

Expand Quote
[close]

That’s a good idea, you could have a looser truck while remaining flush at the top

https://www.acerracing.com/products/3-8-24-titanium-skateboard-truck-kingpin-nuts-2-pieces?variant=14347926896675&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiA3KefBhByEiwAi2LDHLr5DHeiPDNhjXRL6vQmFxpA2xPLM2Rjc7uyUccX2eyDoRS7IyA37RoCPkYQAvD_BwE

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2023, 10:03:05 AM »
They seem to be going neck and neck with Indy making newer and heavier products……could be consistent to their middle aged target market…..

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2023, 10:18:07 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

https://www.acerracing.com/products/3-8-24-titanium-skateboard-truck-kingpin-nuts-2-pieces?variant=14347926896675&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAiA3KefBhByEiwAi2LDHLr5DHeiPDNhjXRL6vQmFxpA2xPLM2Rjc7uyUccX2eyDoRS7IyA37RoCPkYQAvD_BwE
Same link has titanium mounting hardware too… $30 for two boards worth

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2023, 11:15:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Same link has titanium mounting hardware too… $30 for two boards worth

And titanium axle wheel nuts!

I own some of each (not the nut/bolts) and they are much thinner; the nylock seems overly firm and one too many swaps of hardware and they can get finger loose pretty quick. The Kingpin nuts are great tho, especially if you are a set and forget once you have them dialed in.

Thing with axle nuts being thinner is the amount of washers you need to use, keeping them flush there is a TON of play.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »
Thing with axle nuts being thinner is the amount of washers you need to use, keeping them flush there is a TON of play.

I have used them with extra washers when running a smaller truck on a wider board just to get a little more width. 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2023, 03:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All the skate product nuts are actually the low profile variety to start with, for kingpin and axle nuts.

Deck bolts are the only ones that initially came in the taller / standard option, but then with the 7/8" bolts, Shortys and other companies sourced the low profile nuts on them too.

When you compare the standard axle nuts and kingpin nuts, those things are twice as tall, which just don't work that well for anything.

And yes, buying a pack of spare deck bolt nuts is something I should have done a long time ago, but only recently (last few years or so) finally sourced some from ebay and they are exactly the same, either standard or low profile, as the deck bolts almost never wear out, but the nuts need replacing quite often, depending on how often you change out your boards.  I like to get them in lots of 200 or so, which equates to 25 full sets, so I don't have single spares.  Sure it is madness, but at least then the old ones go in the bucket for spares in the shop if needed, so it all works out.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

NYRAD

• Rep: 2
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2023, 04:30:19 AM »
Hey all so i use 1" ALLEN KEY only as i skate risers and i have 2 silver bolts on the nose but the brand i use the others are black which wear through and turn silver which drives me nuts , Does the Indy 1" allen stay black ?

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2023, 05:42:19 AM »
Hey all so i use 1" ALLEN KEY only as i skate risers and i have 2 silver bolts on the nose but the brand i use the others are black which wear through and turn silver which drives me nuts , Does the Indy 1" allen stay black ?

in my experience indy’s tend to wear thru the fastest

NYRAD

« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2023, 05:54:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn :(

Pretty Brand limited in South Africa 🇿🇦

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2023, 08:06:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you sink bolts little deeper in your deck so they sit lower than griptape you can avoid bolts wearing to silver to some degree.
If they eventually turn silver, just take them of the board them and use black nail polish to color them back to black.
I tried this recently and it does work good enough.

NYRAD

« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2023, 08:21:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you sink bolts little deeper in your deck so they sit lower than griptape you can avoid bolts wearing to silver to some degree.
If they eventually turn silver, just take them of the board them and use black nail polish to color them back to black.
I tried this recently and it does work good enough.

Thanks I'll definitely try the nail polish trick, Glad im not the only one it bothers so much lol

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #256 on: March 10, 2023, 09:15:04 AM »
I got those Girl Longneck bolts. I am loyal to Shorty's Lights, mainly because of the small head.

The Girl bolt heads aren't as small as the Shorty's, but they are the same size as Diamond.

Since I know there are some maniacs on here, and I have a scale...

Shorty's Lights bolts (no nuts) - 22g
Girl Longneck bolts (no nuts) - 26g

Not shiny like Shorty's, matte finish. So maybe they will stay black for longer than one setup.

Loopy

« Reply #257 on: March 10, 2023, 12:57:51 PM »
Modus 1" Allen for the two blue bolts (instead of the vert line on my grip) and shock pads under my Indy lows. 52mm Spitfires btw

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2023, 05:37:11 PM »
I got those Girl Longneck bolts. I am loyal to Shorty's Lights, mainly because of the small head.

The Girl bolt heads aren't as small as the Shorty's, but they are the same size as Diamond.

Since I know there are some maniacs on here, and I have a scale...

Shorty's Lights bolts (no nuts) - 22g
Girl Longneck bolts (no nuts) - 26g

Not shiny like Shorty's, matte finish. So maybe they will stay black for longer than one setup.

Did they come with regular nuts or low nuts?

Also did they fit well on whatever board you are using, cast / normal baseplates or forged plates?

Just curious as some other brand of similar bolts don't fit very well, but I made them work on a board with thin risers just to have them on something and not wasted.  The threaded part on these ones sure are very minimal.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #259 on: July 25, 2023, 05:36:55 PM »
So, I have always just used 1" allen bolts. Phillips disgusts me - i know people say they don't burr as easily, but whatever, they look gross.

Anyway, I have always had the issue of my bolts coming a little loose and then ending up with massive ovals in my baseplate holes as opposed to the circles they ought to be, then your trucks aren't straight and it can feel absolutely horrible sometimes. I started tightening them every time I skated, which was irritating, then I started using some Loctite on my bolts, which does work - but I'm not really into that sort of maintenance every time I set up a new board.

Blah, blah, blah - last time I was in this thread we were discussing tap in bolts - I finally found some grind king rocket bolts and I have been running them. Have had no truck wobbles at all, and have no need need for allen or phillips tools - I am slightly bothered that they only give you 8 bolts and 2 are silver, it really should be 10 bolts with 2 optional silver bolts like Modus do with their gross blue directional bolts.

I don't know why other bolts exist. All bolts should be tap in.

They were all the rage in the early 2000s, I feel like lots of companies made them. It's not a gimmick, it's the most sensible approach to mounting hardware. I'm also kind of hyped to have some grind king product on my setup again after 20 or so years.

Are there any other companies currently producing bolts like this?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #260 on: July 25, 2023, 05:38:52 PM »
Oh, and having little star heads looks cool to me! I'm sure they could be designed round still for those who don't want stars.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

logjammin

• Rep: 333
« Reply #261 on: September 18, 2023, 11:17:45 AM »
Anyone have experience with a deck being remounted a bunch of times and the bolts really needing to be sunken in there for the proper tightness? I hate seeing it so I've been gripping over the bolts to kinda pull an out of sight out of mind. Also noticed last regrip the top ply has some pressure cracks around the bolt holes probably from so many remounts and countersinking too deep. I only really have madness about this cause I don't want to risk ovalizing the baseplate holes since they're converted/inverted baseplates and must be protected/reused forever if I can manage it. I do use those Ace shock pads which I feel helps lessen the chance of loosening.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: September 18, 2023, 06:00:53 PM »
Anyone have experience with a deck being remounted a bunch of times and the bolts really needing to be sunken in there for the proper tightness? I hate seeing it so I've been gripping over the bolts to kinda pull an out of sight out of mind. Also noticed last regrip the top ply has some pressure cracks around the bolt holes probably from so many remounts and countersinking too deep. I only really have madness about this cause I don't want to risk ovalizing the baseplate holes since they're converted/inverted baseplates and must be protected/reused forever if I can manage it. I do use those Ace shock pads which I feel helps lessen the chance of loosening.

Often my usual bolts like Shortys or similar with small heads are great for new boards, but then after a few changes, other bolt brands with bigger heads fit better, or in boards from other people that have been sunk in too far or whatever people do with them.

Usually I wouldn't use the bigger head bolts at all, but I found they work well in those boards that smaller heads have pulled through a bit too far, so they make them look and seem a lot better in that regard, so I keep a number of each on hand in the shop area to use as needed.

Almost all boards will usually end up with stress cracks down the length of the board, so that in itself is not a big deal.  Just watch for any that run across or diagonally from the bolts area, as usually they are the ones that are the start of the board breaking or weakening.

As long as the bolts are nice and snug, more so the nuts still retain the nyloc material to keep them tight, there should not need to be an overtightening of the deck bolts, but various things like shock pads, or cut up bike tube or even grip tape stuck to the baseplate will help to stop the trucks moving against the board.

I just put stickers on the board under the trucks, as I have a whole lot of old shop stickers I have cut up to sit nicely under each truck, stuck on to the deck before I set the board up, which I find is just enough to prevent the metal truck on wood issues that some people have, so I don't need a riser or anything else with standard Indy 55 mm height, but I find Thunder or other lower trucks can often do with a 1 or 2 mm thin riser to just give them a touch more clearance with regular sized wheels, which in turn can help to prevent any truck movement on the board too.

Edit:

Going back to the nuts thing, the test I use with any is if I can tighten the nut completely on by hand, then the nyloc is done and it goes in the bin or will not be used again.  Anything that still keeps the nyloc from letting the nut loosen itself off is good to use again and shouldn't have any problems there.

You can buy replacement nuts from hardware suppliers too, boxes of 100 or more are fairly cheap and keep bolts going for a lot longer than people might use them, or are good to have as spares just in case anyone loses some too.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:08:01 PM by Mbrimson88 »

rikki

• Rep: 280
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2023, 12:29:09 AM »
This has probably been discussed before, but I just gotta say that the Shortys Light bolts are pretty awful. The nuts keep slipping from my skate tool all the time, I feel like I'm at the risk of not being to remove them anymore at some point.

Cord Winer

• Rep: -1
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2023, 04:46:40 AM »
BRONZE

rikki

« Reply #265 on: September 19, 2023, 08:59:27 AM »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #266 on: September 19, 2023, 02:17:00 PM »
Said before but worth repeating- shake junt hardware stays black

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: September 19, 2023, 04:46:09 PM »
This has probably been discussed before, but I just gotta say that the Shortys Light bolts are pretty awful. The nuts keep slipping from my skate tool all the time, I feel like I'm at the risk of not being to remove them anymore at some point.

In no way having a dig at you or anyone else, but the low profile nuts can definitely be a pain with a skate tool that doesn't fit over them very well, or is old and worn out, as per some of the tools I have had to use over the years.

Increasingly now I find that the slim shaft type of tool works so much better for all deck bolt / nut issues and I also try to get the all metal tools, rather than something with a thicker shaft and plastic body.  The thicker shaft doesn't fit around the hanger easily, especially on Venture trucks, which then puts the tool at odds with getting over the nut correctly, which then makes any of the slim nuts often slip and make trouble for the user.

The tools that I find work well include the Spitfire tool, Modus tool, one Indy tool and even those small pull apart type tools, although they can be a pain too when they come apart in the middle of using them.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or others, but I know other people had said they are the best tools to use with certain truck / nut combinations like that.

Might have to search and I will post the link, rather than just posting again...

Couldn't find where they were posted last, so just posting a pic of the Spitfire tool.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2023, 05:52:16 PM »
Said before but worth repeating- shake junt hardware stays black

Finding bolts that stay black with silver bolts is impossible. I just got those new girl bolts but I'm pretty sure they turn silver too

rikki

« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2023, 11:32:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In no way having a dig at you or anyone else, but the low profile nuts can definitely be a pain with a skate tool that doesn't fit over them very well, or is old and worn out, as per some of the tools I have had to use over the years.

Increasingly now I find that the slim shaft type of tool works so much better for all deck bolt / nut issues and I also try to get the all metal tools, rather than something with a thicker shaft and plastic body.  The thicker shaft doesn't fit around the hanger easily, especially on Venture trucks, which then puts the tool at odds with getting over the nut correctly, which then makes any of the slim nuts often slip and make trouble for the user.

The tools that I find work well include the Spitfire tool, Modus tool, one Indy tool and even those small pull apart type tools, although they can be a pain too when they come apart in the middle of using them.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or others, but I know other people had said they are the best tools to use with certain truck / nut combinations like that.

Might have to search and I will post the link, rather than just posting again...

Couldn't find where they were posted last, so just posting a pic of the Spitfire tool.

Yup, I have the Spitfire tool and it works perfectly for me with anything else than the aforementioned Shortys Lights. Not gonna change my tools for a specific bolt/nut, I'm already sorted with Bronze.