Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19503 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2022, 08:00:34 PM »
Ranger hardware is treating me good so far plus all the bolts are brass like bullet cartridges which sound weird but it looks cool. Like looking down they are easy to see and also don’t look bright like colored bolts.

FABOMARVOCEO

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2022, 08:19:30 AM »
no mention of NUTASS is a serious oversight

if you're a baby who cares about their hardware staying black maybe these aren't for you, but if you want unparalleled speed, performance, strength and durability then look no further
https://faboles.bigcartel.com/product/nutass-skateboards-7-8-hardware

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2022, 11:53:11 AM »

Tristxn

• Rep: 11
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2022, 12:49:03 PM »

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2022, 04:48:04 PM »
Ranger hardware is treating me good so far plus all the bolts are brass like bullet cartridges which sound weird but it looks cool. Like looking down they are easy to see and also don’t look bright like colored bolts.
I normally try and support small Oregon company’s, but man the fact that the heads on them is so big messes with my skate ocd bad.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #185 on: December 11, 2022, 04:34:53 PM »
How’s about that new Ace hardware?

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #186 on: December 11, 2022, 07:19:27 PM »

Just saw an Instagram post/ad for them. I’m usually a Phillips guy but wouldn’t mind trying these out if my local gets them in.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #187 on: December 11, 2022, 07:38:27 PM »
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF COPPER BOLTS??

https://www.tactics.com/pig/pig-bolts-phillips-skateboard-hardware/copper

Classier looking setups? will brass bolts become a thing now?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2022, 12:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just saw an Instagram post/ad for them. I’m usually a Phillips guy but wouldn’t mind trying these out if my local gets them in.

Homie showed me a pic of Hollow Ace bolts. I like the idea of those. But are they lighter as say Titanium bolts? And how much grams would be saved? Can't be much ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2022, 12:26:18 PM »

if you're a baby who cares about their hardware staying black maybe these aren't for you, but if you want unparalleled speed, performance, strength and durability then look no further

I have Allen nutass hardware. I rep it hard got mad stickers too. They help me go fast

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2022, 01:03:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Homie showed me a pic of Hollow Ace bolts. I like the idea of those. But are they lighter as say Titanium bolts? And how much grams would be saved? Can't be much ^^

I agree, but when you add it up ie. also the little locking teeth, I’m interested…. From what I recall from the tih Theeves, the hard metal shredded nuts…..I’ve been running silverados for awhile but these seem worth trying. 

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2022, 01:32:42 PM »

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2022, 10:53:15 PM »
So totally worth it yeah?  Does Bronze even give you a sticker?  If they did I’d consider…

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2022, 01:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://mesaskatesupply.com/products/ace-hollow-bolts-w-grippers-allen-1

https://mesaskatesupply.com/products/ace-bolts-allen-1

So if we use 1" Ace Hollow Bolts, our setup would be 8 grams lighter as with other regular bolts (if we use 8 of them). But hear me out. What if we use 7/8" Ace Hollow Bolts instead? That would maybe save another 2 grams. Maybe. I still think it is cool and a bit funky.

I think it would trip me out when I look down on my board and I can see through my bolts onto the ground below.
IG: @flowterspace

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #195 on: December 13, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »
Are the ace bolts hollow all the way through?

Hear me out y'all, magnesium bolts. IDK if they exist but they sound decent for a set up but then they'll get washed and you probably can't take them off.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #196 on: December 13, 2022, 08:44:47 PM »
So totally worth it yeah?  Does Bronze even give you a sticker?  If they did I’d consider…

not that im aware of, the first set of bronze i got i got a sticker but it wasn't in the packaging it was just complimentary.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2022, 11:21:15 PM »
I run 1” Allen on all my setups. Sometimes I run 1/8” risers and sometimes i don’t. Works well with both and no need to change bolts when adding or removing risers. Changing bolts to a different brand with a different head on a deck is horrible. That’s why I always try to donate the bolts and nuts if I have a board I don’t get along with and give it away.

I prefer Shorty’s and Thunder cuz they have smaller heads. Dunno which other ones have those. Tried Ace non-hollow recently and got rid of those fast as I hated the huge heads.

Worst bolts I’ve ever had were Independent combi bolts. Never stripped another bolt but those stripped way too easy. Also fuck Philips head. That’s some toy store complete shit.

I’ve never lost a nut skating but I have way more bolts than nuts in my skate stuff box. I do throw away nuts that start looking like prolapsed anuses and I guess that happens quite often then. Wouldn’t mind having some of those better nuts that were talked about here earlier on, with purple nyloc or what it was. Not easy to find those in hardware stores in Finland as we’re not using inch hardware over here.

I don’t care about colors or them wearing off too much. I like my shit to look beat up anyway. With twin tails I like to have bolts that all look the same so either new ones or old ones that are worn equally. Sometimes I use the green Thunder bolts as indicator bolts but lately I’ve had mainly shaped boards or stuff on my grip, which is why @SneakySecrets doesn't like me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #198 on: December 14, 2022, 08:54:33 AM »
I run 1” Allen on all my setups. Sometimes I run 1/8” risers and sometimes i don’t. Works well with both and no need to change bolts when adding or removing risers. Changing bolts to a different brand with a different head on a deck is horrible. That’s why I always try to donate the bolts and nuts if I have a board I don’t get along with and give it away.

I prefer Shorty’s and Thunder cuz they have smaller heads. Dunno which other ones have those. Tried Ace non-hollow recently and got rid of those fast as I hated the huge heads.

Worst bolts I’ve ever had were Independent combi bolts. Never stripped another bolt but those stripped way too easy. Also fuck Philips head. That’s some toy store complete shit.

I’ve never lost a nut skating but I have way more bolts than nuts in my skate stuff box. I do throw away nuts that start looking like prolapsed anuses and I guess that happens quite often then. Wouldn’t mind having some of those better nuts that were talked about here earlier on, with purple nyloc or what it was. Not easy to find those in hardware stores in Finland as we’re not using inch hardware over here.

I don’t care about colors or them wearing off too much. I like my shit to look beat up anyway. With twin tails I like to have bolts that all look the same so either new ones or old ones that are worn equally. Sometimes I use the green Thunder bolts as indicator bolts but lately I’ve had mainly shaped boards or stuff on my grip, which is why @SneakySecrets doesn't like me.

I don't know how accessible things are in the way of hardware / nuts and bolts wholesalers, but if you never really destroy the normal Shortys or Thunder bolts, you can always buy a pack, or more often a box of nuts to keep you going, which is what I do for the spare parts area of my shop space.

If someone blows out some of the nyloc on the nuts, I just replace the full set and away they go, which should last another dozen or more board changes.

Deck bolts are way harder to find the right size, shape and strength, so I get whatever I prefer in the way of skate brand deck bolts (usually Shortys) and just replace the nuts as needed.

Ebay has them for only a few dollars for enough to make it worthwhile for me, but just so OCD doesn't kick in and make a mess of things, I buy them in lots of 200 = 25 full sets of spare nuts.

Key words that came up with the best listings for me were:

Nyloc Nut 3/16" (10-32) UNF

Some car part suppliers also use those nuts, but they are usually more expensive than the ebay hardware wholesalers.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #199 on: December 14, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/spagear_hardware/
Started a hardware brand mainly to make stupid stickers. 7/8 allen and phillips. Follow if you'd like.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2022, 12:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know how accessible things are in the way of hardware / nuts and bolts wholesalers, but if you never really destroy the normal Shortys or Thunder bolts, you can always buy a pack, or more often a box of nuts to keep you going, which is what I do for the spare parts area of my shop space.

If someone blows out some of the nyloc on the nuts, I just replace the full set and away they go, which should last another dozen or more board changes.

Deck bolts are way harder to find the right size, shape and strength, so I get whatever I prefer in the way of skate brand deck bolts (usually Shortys) and just replace the nuts as needed.

Ebay has them for only a few dollars for enough to make it worthwhile for me, but just so OCD doesn't kick in and make a mess of things, I buy them in lots of 200 = 25 full sets of spare nuts.

Key words that came up with the best listings for me were:

Nyloc Nut 3/16" (10-32) UNF

Some car part suppliers also use those nuts, but they are usually more expensive than the ebay hardware wholesalers.

Thanks.

I’d prefer to get some really good nuts instead of generic ones from which the nyloc strips easily from eBay.

I’m also fairly certain that I couldn’t get through 200 nuts in my life no matter how I tried. 50 max or something like that. Dunno. I’ve got like 10 sets of hardware right now so I have no urgent need.  :)

fernando the skater

• Rep: 106
« Reply #201 on: December 14, 2022, 12:47:24 PM »

So if we use 1" Ace Hollow Bolts, our setup would be 8 grams lighter as with other regular bolts (if we use 8 of them). But hear me out. What if we use 7/8" Ace Hollow Bolts instead? That would maybe save another 2 grams. Maybe. I still think it is cool and a bit funky.

You don't need 4 bolts per truck. On my freestyle setup I have 2.

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2022, 12:51:39 PM »
there needs to be a list of bolts with small heads (for us normal people) and large ones (for freaks).

Phao Lo

• Rep: 54
« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
Are the ace bolts hollow all the way through?

Hear me out y'all, magnesium bolts. IDK if they exist but they sound decent for a set up but then they'll get washed and you probably can't take them off.

Yes

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2022, 04:48:31 PM »
there needs to be a list of bolts with small heads (for us normal people) and large ones (for freaks).

That would be an interesting one, but I guess it just comes down to where brands get their bolts.

Some more generic brands seem to have the bigger heads, which are easier to come by on ebay (which is why I don't get them) but then some seem to get the exact size, shape, etc as Shortys and other good brands.

I guess it is subjective, like everything in skateboarding, where some people prefer bigger heads and others prefer smaller heads.  Never had a problem doing bolts up too much and the smaller heads just work so much better for me anyway, so I always stick with those, but I have seen where some people almost pull the bolt through their deck either not paying attention or thinking they constantly need to do them up tighter or whatever.

This might also come down to the fact that any and every nut is only as good as the nyloc on it, which is why I have bought bulk spare nuts to swap out as needed.

Back to the question, list of smaller heads that I can think of right this minute that I have seen or used (but also being in AU so we don't get half of those brands that the USA does) includes:

Shortys
Modus
Thunder
Element (look like Shortys bolts)
Shake Junt
Pig
Andale
Primitive
Diamond

Bolts I have seen with heads that are bigger than I like:

Indy
HKD
Lucky
Bones
Mini Logo
Enjoi
Almost
Universal

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2022, 05:26:09 PM »
The silverados I skate the heads are small but I wish they sunk down a bit more….

FABOMARVOCEO

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2022, 07:53:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have Allen nutass hardware. I rep it hard got mad stickers too. They help me go fast
salute to a real nutted up soldier

offering up one free sacque of allen or phillips for anyone who wants to experience the Nutass Difference™, first person to DM gets it

UPDATE: the free sacque offer has been claimed
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 09:11:54 AM by FABOMARVOCEO »

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 454
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2022, 11:47:41 AM »

I use both actually. I always mount a board for the first time with the smaller heads. When that board downgrades to rain board or cruiser I use the larger heads to keep the hardware secure and flush without being sunken into the deck.

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2022, 04:58:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
salute to a real nutted up soldier

offering up one free sacque of allen or phillips for anyone who wants to experience the Nutass Difference™, first person to DM gets it

UPDATE: the free sacque offer has been claimed

shout out FABOMARVOCEO for the free loot. 7/8 phillip small head gang

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2023, 12:22:05 PM »
My wife just bought a kitchen scale so I decided to do a little test between the Ace Hollow hardware and the Shorty's Lights that I normally use. All sets are 7/8 allen.

The bolts themselves weigh the exact same, so the only weight savings comes with the thinner nuts that Shorty's uses. Could pair the Ace bolts with the Shorty's nuts to at least get the benefit of potentially not needing to use an allen key and Ace's claim that their bolts don't cause griptape swirls (that's never been a problem for me anyway as long as you only tighten from the nut side)