Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19391 times)

Eggie Vedder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
I used to ride philips but then got a set of Allen and I’ve had them for over a decade. After a few years the lock tight wore out so I went to Home Depot and got generic nuts with this purple lock tight and they seriously never slip or loosen. Regardless of your bolt preference I recommend just getting some nicer nuts and never worrying about the trucks getting loose. Sounds trivial but it’s actually super nice.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2021, 02:37:54 AM »
when you gotta pull out that nut

make sure its bronze
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2021, 10:30:43 PM »
Not a speck of silver on the Element bolts after weeks of riding. Might unironically consider an Element deck because of this. Element 4 life.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1441
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
Any weirdos use randoms like me?

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »
bronze allen 1 inch always

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1441
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote
are they good or are they a pain?
[close]

From my instagram post, sums it up best I think:

Randoms Hardware, otherwise known as "hammer ins"
Cleaning up and sorting out some things and a few people had been talking about them, so I decided to get out the ones I still had floating around, some with Black Label heads, some from Hardcore Dist and others from who knows where.
Look like these guys went out of business a few years ago now, last Instagram post early 2019, but had been around since about 2000 or earlier. I know these were pretty hot in the early 00s and people loved to swap and mix them with heads from certain brands or pro riders like Heddings with the pentagrams or the alien or skull, etc.
The way they worked was you put them in the board, sat the trucks on and just did up the nuts, not needing to hold the deck bolts from the top, but as the nickname suggested, often a hammer was needed to get them into the board to get far enough through so you could get the nuts on.
I can recall a few people having issues not being able to get them far enough through or hammering them in on angles so the trucks didn't go on and all sorts of stupid things, but when installed correctly they worked well and never had loose bolt issues.

30ramp
Looking back I’ve wondered if randoms contributed to pressure cracks at the base plate area when I always used them as a kid.

mbrimson88
@30ramp There was actually a post on their Instagram account showing no difference in stress between hammer ins and regular bolts and I remember seeing something like that in a video once too. Funny though, cause the way some people were beating the things in, I could easily see them doing damage to the board. I always found it interesting too when looking at old boards, to see the star pattern the bolts left in the decks. @randomshardware

I've got the heddings, alien, skull and blank randoms. I bulked up on them five or six years ago when he was still producing new sets. I used to have the Tony Hawk and label ones but i left the board that had the black label bolts at a skatepark on accident and it grew legs and walked away. I'm mostly a transition dude, but I've never snapped a board at the trucks because of randoms and I've been skating them exclusively since 2014

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2021, 01:40:38 PM »
Got some Thunder 1 1/8 bolts. They suck. I had a nut that wouldn’t go on and they’re painted not anodized.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

CaptainBushwacker

• Rep: 13
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2021, 03:23:27 AM »
Got some Thunder 1 1/8 bolts. They suck. I had a nut that wouldn’t go on and they’re painted not anodized.

I can definitely vouch for Thunder bolts sucking big time

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2021, 05:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All the sets I have had come through, either set up the board for the customer or seen them set them up in the shop had no issues.

And not doubting you, but anything in particular about them you don't like, besides as said the one nut?

The coloured ones are chrome foil coated I think more than anything else, but I still have some of the green ones that have kept their coating after a few years.

I always liked that they came with 8 black and 2 coloured bolts, so you could choose what you wanted.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

CaptainBushwacker

• Rep: 13
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2021, 05:43:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

All the sets I have had come through, either set up the board for the customer or seen them set them up in the shop had no issues.

And not doubting you, but anything in particular about them you don't like, besides as said the one nut?

The coloured ones are chrome foil coated I think more than anything else, but I still have some of the green ones that have kept their coating after a few years.

I always liked that they came with 8 black and 2 coloured bolts, so you could choose what you wanted.

What irked me most was the allen key not sticking inside the bolt when tightening it, like something was in the way and wouldn't allow the key to go all the way in. And that was a problem with different allen keys.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2021, 01:29:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Apart of struggling to get that on. My screw driver would slip out and they were harder than most bolts to screw. I understood it would take longer to screw but, they were harder to turn and the plastic/rubber stuff that keeps it secure was shredded by the time I was done putting a bolt in.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2021, 12:51:45 AM »
Don't do wrong, get some TORX bolts.  8)

waldskateboards.com
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »
My local doesn't have 7/8 Allen. Is there a consensus on where the best place to get them online is? I don't care about brand just preferably all black but indicators will work too.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2021, 07:13:11 PM »
My local doesn't have 7/8 Allen. Is there a consensus on where the best place to get them online is? I don't care about brand just preferably all black but indicators will work too.

https://www.tactics.com/skateboard-hardware/allen/rs-7~8in/sort-3

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2021, 11:57:35 PM »
i use both allen & phillips. 7/8" for forged baseplates and 1" for cast baseplates.

Fat Tony

• Rep: 6
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2021, 06:47:03 AM »
I’ve been using the colored, supposedly anodized, Indy crossbolts. The color rubbed off the top within a week of use, but the main part and nut are still colored fine, assuming because they aren’t touched much.

Anyone else have this problem? Any way to restore that? I got the blue set but they’re all just chrome looking now. Could always paint them, but it wouldn’t look the same.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2021, 06:40:25 PM »

https://orchardshop.com/collections/skate-hardgoods/products/orchard-hardware-allen-head?variant=40056622514341

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2021, 07:11:45 AM »
That's probably been asked before, but I am lazy and don't feel like searching.

I am looking for 7/8 black allen bolts with a bigger head and silver nuts. Like the indy ones, but just silver nuts.

Thanks in advance pals.
IG: @flowterspace

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2021, 01:43:30 PM »

I am looking for 7/8 black allen bolts with a bigger head and silver nuts. Like the indy ones, but just silver nuts.

Thanks in advance pals.
I got a set of Diamonds like that, maybe Yuto’s?
Also Shorty’s, but they have a smaller head iirc

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2021, 03:31:28 PM »
Used 7/8 Phillips forever  now that I got risers Im using 1 inch Phillips. Its just easier for me to find a screwdriver than an Allen key.

ish_wav

• Rep: 94
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2021, 03:34:17 PM »
I used to ride philips but then got a set of Allen and I’ve had them for over a decade. After a few years the lock tight wore out so I went to Home Depot and got generic nuts with this purple lock tight and they seriously never slip or loosen. Regardless of your bolt preference I recommend just getting some nicer nuts and never worrying about the trucks getting loose. Sounds trivial but it’s actually super nice.

Did the nuts already come with the purple lock tight or did you buy that separate?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2021, 04:17:58 AM »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2021, 08:50:25 AM »

Thanks in advance pals.
Shake Junt Andrew Reynolds

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »

Thanks in advance pals.
Pig hardware has the larger heads and silver nuts too.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did the nuts already come with the purple lock tight or did you buy that separate?

I actually meant the nylon locking insert. The inserts in the nuts that come in typical skate hardware is super cheap in comparison to what is used in other industries.

My brother an I started buying the really nice stuff in bulk then packaging it in sets and selling it at a local shop for the same price as regular hardware. We don’t make any money off because we have regular jobs so that doesn’t matter. 

It’s weird that it makes such a difference but having your trucks so firmly adhered to your board really makes your board feel stiffer longer. Maybe I’ve just convinced myself and it’s just a placebo but Frank Gerwer said he rides hardware he got from a friend in a stop and chat that sounds like what we get and noticed the same thing. If people are interested, maybe we will sell it online.

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2021, 02:21:15 AM »
This might be a dumb idea, but has anyone tried putting helicoils/timeserts into baseplates and getting rid of nuts all together? Save a bit of weight, run shorter hardware and it wouldn't wear down the nuts.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2021, 05:21:21 AM »
This might be a dumb idea, but has anyone tried putting helicoils/timeserts into baseplates and getting rid of nuts all together? Save a bit of weight, run shorter hardware and it wouldn't wear down the nuts.

Haven't tried helicoils, but I have tried countersunk Chicago screws/sex bolts. They were going into the trash at work, so I brought them home. Red Loctite was used on the threads.

They held for about 30 mins of skating until I ate shit really bad. The front truck was nearly falling off, two of the bolts were missing  :( Evidently, the Loctite wasn't enough to hold the screws in place. I feel like the maple veneers shifting, compressing, and expanding in microscopic amounts caused the Loctite to break the bond between the screws and sex nuts. That's just my experience though, maybe I was unlucky or fucked something up. Either way, if you do decide to try helicoils, I'd love to know your results!
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »
I got these for 3€ at a car workshop. And they are perfect.

Thanks for the help with the size @Mbrimson88
IG: @flowterspace

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -135
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2021, 12:02:23 PM »
Fuck bolts, grow up and super glue your trucks on
big texas cummer

superleftswipebby

• Rep: 12