Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19619 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2021, 12:25:08 PM »
My last set up was on Shorty‘s allen bolts but after a few times tightening them some turned empty so I got some Shorty‘s Phillips heads for my new set up but these are even worse. I could not fix two of them no matter how I tried and had to use two of the old allen heads instead. I‘ll go to the shop tomorrow to get some bolts... can‘t have allen bolts and phillips bolts on one setup or you dudes would tear me a new one in the set up thread, right?  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »
My last set up was on Shorty‘s allen bolts but after a few times tightening them some turned empty so I got some Shorty‘s Phillips heads for my new set up but these are even worse. I could not fix two of them no matter how I tried and had to use two of the old allen heads instead. I‘ll go to the shop tomorrow to get some bolts... can‘t have allen bolts and phillips bolts on one setup or you dudes would tear me a new one in the set up thread, right?  ;D

This just sounds weird, (not that I don't believe you) but how does this happen, eg you clear the excess grip out of the mounting holes in the deck, you put the deck bolts through the board, mount the truck, put the nuts on by hand and then tighten them up...

Just curious as to what or where this is falling down.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

con_hielo

• Rep: 32
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2021, 07:17:29 PM »
Anyone knows where I could find Shortys Style 7/8" Allen stainless or silver? Can't find anything ( "-_-)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2021, 07:43:06 PM »
Anyone knows where I could find Shortys Style 7/8" Allen stainless or silver? Can't find anything ( "-_-)

I haven't seen full silver sets in a long time from Shortys, if ever, but after looking around there are some out there from other generic / no name brands, but I guess it depends where you are as to what you can get, eg

US  https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-genuine-parts-phillips-silver-7-8in-skateboard-mounting-hardware

AU  https://www.citybeach.com.au/deck-bolts-20165672

UK  https://www.skatewarehouse.co.uk/venom-premium-1-allen-key-anodised-skateboard-deck-hardware-silver.html

For another guy I had pulled apart four sets of silverados so he could have all silver hardware, but that was a one time thing.

I know when I wanted to make silverados I had just rubbed off two of the black heads on smooth concrete, which worked, but it is not quite what you are after.

con_hielo

• Rep: 32
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't seen full silver sets in a long time from Shortys, if ever, but after looking around there are some out there from other generic / no name brands, but I guess it depends where you are as to what you can get, eg

US  https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-genuine-parts-phillips-silver-7-8in-skateboard-mounting-hardware

AU  https://www.citybeach.com.au/deck-bolts-20165672

UK  https://www.skatewarehouse.co.uk/venom-premium-1-allen-key-anodised-skateboard-deck-hardware-silver.html

For another guy I had pulled apart four sets of silverados so he could have all silver hardware, but that was a one time thing.

I know when I wanted to make silverados I had just rubbed off two of the black heads on smooth concrete, which worked, but it is not quite what you are after.

From Canada! Thanks for the links definitely gonna check those :)) And might do that trick of buying a couple sets to get the perfect 10 years lasting silver hardware set ahah

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2021, 12:23:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This just sounds weird, (not that I don't believe you) but how does this happen, eg you clear the excess grip out of the mounting holes in the deck, you put the deck bolts through the board, mount the truck, put the nuts on by hand and then tighten them up...

I figured out that the problem is that I got bolts that are too long. I used to ride with a 1/8 riser so I copped 1.125 bolts but decided to get rid of the riser and now the bolts are way too long. I‘m gonna pick up some 7/8 bolts today that should do it.
why come?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2021, 02:30:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I figured out that the problem is that I got bolts that are too long. I used to ride with a 1/8 riser so I copped 1.125 bolts but decided to get rid of the riser and now the bolts are way too long. I‘m gonna pick up some 7/8 bolts today that should do it.

Yeah that makes sense now.

The 1" will be the average size for almost everything including no riser or thin risers, but if you can find some Shortys in 7/8" they will also work as they have the low nuts that fit well on any truck.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2021, 02:59:57 AM »
Really? A 4 page thread discussing bolts?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2021, 03:36:00 AM »

Yeah that makes sense now.

The 1" will be the average size for almost everything including no riser or thin risers, but if you can find some Shortys in 7/8" they will also work as they have the low nuts that fit well on any truck.

Cheers brah, I'll get both 7/8" and 1" just in case.  :D

Welcome to Slap. There's a 334 page thread about trucks waiting for your kind perusal.  ;D
why come?

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
Shortys 7/8 Allen or Phillips. Fo Sho

Trollin4Tuna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2021, 04:42:00 AM »
Bolts too long? Hacksaw, dremel or angle grinder will fix that right up.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2021, 04:48:40 AM »
It really suprise you? This is Slap.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Genericwhitemale

« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2021, 04:43:25 PM »

Were 7/8” Allen head bolts really non-existent in the mid-2000s?

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2021, 05:32:25 PM »

They’re still non-existent at Cowtown, which he talks about in that video. They only carry their own brand 1 inch Phillips hardware, which is really odd. They have a massive selection of boards, shoes, apparel, etc. but don’t carry any branded bolts or other sizes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2021, 01:21:14 PM »
I don’t mind colored bolts. I think they look nice.
That being said, I bought some old Alien bolts and I screwed them in but the heads were shaped weird. The cone area didn’t sink in and I felt that if I kept screwing it could've messed up my board. Other than that I’m okay with Allen or Philip.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2021, 04:01:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They’re still non-existent at Cowtown, which he talks about in that video. They only carry their own brand 1 inch Phillips hardware, which is really odd. They have a massive selection of boards, shoes, apparel, etc. but don’t carry any branded bolts or other sizes

Tho$e margin$ tho
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2021, 04:20:09 PM »
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2021, 05:00:03 AM »
i'm surprised no one has mentioned the allen/phillips combo bolts. i've never had them, i assume they're expensive or something. i don't really care.

i just have to say, i'm not really triggered by anything on slap, but seeing all the proponents of phillips bolts is vibing me out.

i thought allen was kind of a standard.

combihead is the best. indy made combihead hardware for a while. i would buy nothing else. it looks kinda cool, too. sadly i can't find any combihead bolts in 7/8 anymore. it's sick since if you happen to strip the allen thread, you can still get your trucks off via the philips thread and they still look consistent. makes the bolts last virtually forever. i lost all mine when i thought i could use a fresh set of bolts with a christmas complete, put them away and now i have like three left.

i'm surprised combi isn't the standard tbh. but it might be actually expensive as you said, since i imagine you'd have to machine two times instead of once and it probably has a bigger failure margin so less come out of qc, if they even really do that when producing those in bulk.

this brings to mind how almost half the time i buy bolts, there's either a bolt or a nut missing. if you're lucky there's too much in it. or the allen key thing is missing. independent was notorious for this in one of the shops i worked at. i would actually insist on opening each pack and counting the bolts and nuts to ensure the set was complete if someone just wanted some hardware to take home to set up their board. 

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2021, 08:04:31 AM »
GOLD PIG BOLTS BABY
1 inch
Phillips

Skate these or gtfo

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2021, 05:40:40 AM »
I was stoked to receive a bag of Enjoi Gender Benders as I thought these could be the bolts that stay black. Well, I can already see silver on the bolt heads and threads. Obviously it's a microscopic amount, but I'm not gonna ride them until they lose the black coating like other shitty Chinese bolts. So fuck em, sending them back. The Mini Logo bolts that someone suggested are threaded all the way to the head so that's lame too. The search for the holy grail of bolts continues.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:56:08 AM by mbam003 »

sketchyrider

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2021, 07:17:52 AM »
i know this is shoes and gear, but returning bolts cause there is some silver showing through the threading is peak madness. also is threading all the way through really that bad? i guess in theory it could be a little loose, and oval out your trucks more quickly...

i found some of those hammer-through style hardware, kinda interesting.
https://socalskateshop.com/Dustys-Nuts-and-Bolts-1-Pounders-Hardware-Black-Silver.html

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2021, 08:28:41 AM »
I was stoked to receive a bag of Enjoi Gender Benders as I thought these could be the bolts that stay black. Well, I can already see silver on the bolt heads and threads. Obviously it's a microscopic amount, but I'm not gonna ride them until they lose the black coating like other shitty Chinese bolts. So fuck em, sending them back. The Mini Logo bolts that someone suggested are threaded all the way to the head so that's lame too. The search for the holy grail of bolts continues.

I've broken mini logo bolts just by putting them on the board.

did you try bender hardware yet? I'm sure if you DM'd the owner on IG they'd confirm if the current ones stay black or not. Seems like they've had various results over the years.
http://www.benderhardware.com/products

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »

Shorty's tend to stay black for me. I think theyre anodized instead of painted.

mbam003

« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2021, 09:32:17 AM »

I've broken mini logo bolts just by putting them on the board.

did you try bender hardware yet? I'm sure if you DM'd the owner on IG they'd confirm if the current ones stay black or not. Seems like they've had various results over the years.
http://www.benderhardware.com/products

Have not tried em, but the ones in the pictures look black enough. My Indy and Diamond bolts go shiny silver in a few weeks and I don't even do anything strange with them. I sink em and I ride em and somehow it happens every time. It's not a surprise as just a slight brush with some leftover griptape is enough to scrub off the paint. I need some bolts for my 2nd and 3rd setups so I want to make it count. The other bolts to try out will probably be Shorty's. Someone mentioned Thunder in a good light as well.

mbam003

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2021, 09:36:46 AM »
Bolt madness in my opinion is way more benign than other gear madness. No one thinks changing bolt companies will make them better. I just like quality shit and bolts are among the first things I see on the board besides the griptape (looking from the up). It's strictly for my viewing pleasure and no one else's - quite selfish if you think about it.

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2021, 12:00:24 PM »
I've been running Indy 1 in. phillips hardware for who knows how long, probably years, still no major issues.

I don't even know what I'd base my next hardware purchase on. Maybe a cool color or something. All I know is that I personally thought 7/8 was too short for me.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:02 PM »
We’re big fans of Bender.

I run the allen heads. 
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »

mbam003

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
Got myself some generic Element 1" bolts. The package says the red bolt is anodized, but it seems like they all are. Black is holding up very well so far. It seems to me that the deal with shitty hardware is some of the companies stopped anodizing the hardware and are instead selling painted bolts, which is why they lose their color after like 2 sessions. And that's also the reason why it didn't happen as often in the past. At least that's my theory. I know Enjoi Little Buddies (rainbow hardware) are definitely anodized, so maybe the Gender Benders are too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:49:18 AM by mbam003 »

lucascbn

• Rep: 21
  • #maconha
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2021, 10:34:05 AM »
5 philips and 3 allens, all white that I paint myself.